Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569208&navid=mod-rr-headlines

"May 15, 1967: Chicago trades Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield to Boston for Gilles Marotte, Pit Martin and Jack Norris

"With plenty of help from Orr, Esposito set offensive records while winning five scoring titles in eight full seasons in Boston. Hodge, who became his right wing, turned into a 50-goal scorer, while Stanfield turned into a superb second-line center who had at least 20 goals and 54 points in six consecutive seasons. The trio was part of the nucleus of the Bruins' Cup-winning teams in 1970 and '72."

OUCH!

"June 20, 1992: Philadelphia traded Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, two first-round picks and cash to the Quebec Nordiques in exchange for the rights to center Eric Lindros"

Colorado will always be grateful!

"March 4, 1991: Hartford trades Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and Grant Jennings to Pittsburgh for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker"

Thanks allot Hartford the Bruins probably would have won in 91" and 92' BOOO!

"May 26, 1976: Boston traded Ken Hodge to the New York Rangers for Rick Middleton"

The Dawg will be forever grateful for Nifty my favorite B!

Will the Kessel trade be a part of this list in 5-7 years ? Innocent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

Dawg,, Nifty is my all time favorite too!!   Remember his sweep checks?

How about getting Horton and Campbell for Wideman?   
    Recchi and a second for Lashoff and ________, neither of whom are now in the NHL.

The Kessel treade could qualify.....give it a few years to pan out.  However it's got to be offset by the Kaberle fiasco.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades:
    [QUOTE]Dawg,, Nifty is my all time favorite too!!   Remember his sweep checks? How about getting Horton and Campbell for Wideman?    Recchi and a second for Lashoff and ________, neither of whom are now in the NHL. The Kessel treade could qualify.....give it a few years to pan out.  However it's got to be offset by the Kaberle fiasco.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

"How about getting Horton and Campbell for Wideman?  
    You forgot to add in a First Rounder and Wideman.

The Kaberle trade is a totally sperate one, and since we GOT THE CUP, it was a good trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Common theme with most big steals of trades is that it is old proven talent for young, unproven talent that then takes off.  People always hate it when the trade is made, then love it afterward.  The Kessel trade definately fits that group.  Funny thing about the Francis - Cullen trade, I remember at the time many observers thought the pens were giving up an offensive star (Cullen) for a solid defensive guy on the downswing (Francis).  Ron went on to have the best offensive numbers of his career in the years ahead with the Pens, totally blowing away anything John Cullen would do from then on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Just saw John Cullen a few weeks ago at T. Anthony (where else for an ex-BU guy) for the first time in years. Excellent guy. Inspirational battle against Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. He actually ended up with 110 pts. in the 90/91 season between Pitt and Hartford. Had to kill him to get traded to the Whale and watch Pitt win the Cup that year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Another good trade was getting Poulin for Linesman.  Linesman fizzled in Philly while Poulin helped the B's reach the finals his first season here, '89-'90.  Not bad for an undrafted player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

June 28, 1964:Boston trades rights to Ken Dryden to Montreal for Guy Allen and Paul Reid....

wonder how many more Stanleys the B'S would've won and how many the habnots wouldn't have....

sorry, must take the good with the bad....  and the ugly!.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

the lindros trade was the most lopsided trade in NHL history

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Cam for Pederson has to be an honorable mention.  Espceically with Glen Wesley going to Hartford for three 1st rounders years later.  Looking back the Pittsburg and Hartford trade was the most lopsided, I thought so at the time!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

oh and btw when were talking about the lindros trade, the cash wasn't small change, it was 15 mill which in 92 was a good chunk of money

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Glen Wesley trade was a gift that kept on giving for years!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

And also regarding the Lindros trade, those 2 first round pics became Jocelyn Thibault and the other pic was traded a couple times and Nolan Baumgartner was used with it (although he sucks).  Thats EASILY the most one-sided deal ever, probably in sports history.  The Avs were a POWERHOUSE for YEARS because of that trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

philadelphia handed away a dynasty

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It may end up that dumping Carter and Richards is viewed in the same light as the Lindros deal.  We'll see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades:
    [QUOTE]   http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569208&navid=mod-rr-headlines "May 15, 1967: Chicago trades Phil Esposito , Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield to Boston for Gilles Marotte , Pit Martin and Jack Norris "With plenty of help from Orr, Esposito set offensive records while winning five scoring titles in eight full seasons in Boston. Hodge, who became his right wing, turned into a 50-goal scorer, while Stanfield turned into a superb second-line center who had at least 20 goals and 54 points in six consecutive seasons. The trio was part of the nucleus of the Bruins' Cup-winning teams in 1970 and '72." OUCH! " June 20, 1992: Philadelphia traded Ron Hextall , Steve Duchesne , Kerry Huffman , Mike Ricci , Peter Forsberg , Chris Simon , two first-round picks and cash to the Quebec Nordiques in exchange for the rights to center Eric Lindros " Colorado will always be grateful! " March 4, 1991: Hartford trades Ron Francis , Ulf Samuelsson and Grant Jennings to Pittsburgh for John Cullen , Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker" Thanks allot Hartford the Bruins probably would have won in 91" and 92' BOOO! " May 26, 1976: Boston traded Ken Hodge to the New York Rangers for Rick Middleton " The Dawg will be forever grateful for Nifty my favorite B! Will the Kessel trade be a part of this list in 5-7 years ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

That Hartford to Pitt. trade bumbed me out, too....but I think the playoff losses to Pitt. in '91 and '92 had more to do with Jagr, Lemieux and Stevens than it did w/those guys....and let me just add that I still loathe Ulf Samuelsson as much, as,let's say--Matt Cooke!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dawg,, Nifty is my all time favorite too!!   Remember his sweep checks? How about getting Horton and Campbell for Wideman?    Recchi and a second for Lashoff and ________, neither of whom are now in the NHL. The Kessel treade could qualify.....give it a few years to pan out.  However it's got to be offset by the Kaberle fiasco.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]
    What qualifies the Kaberle trade as a fiasco? Is it winning the cup or is it obtaining Kaberle for an unproven player and garbage picks(30 and 55-60)? Thinking that trade,in any way, offsets the Kessel deal, is foolish.Get back to me when Colbourne or 1 of the picks becomes an NHL star(or even plays a regular shift for that matter).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Sandog, since we're a week from Dmr, look at R2 today at Hol -- #6

Also, checkout this site:http://mysite.verizon.net/whobet/trks2day.html
    It is where I get all my info, and it's free.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Sandog, since we're a week from Dmr, look at R2 today at Hol -- #6 Also, checkout this site: http://mysite.verizon.net/whobet/trks2day.html It is where I get all my info, and it's free.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    Wheats, I don't recognize any of those players......Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I don't think LRH will enjoy this one: In '89 the Leafs traded their first rounder (3rd overall) to NJ for D Tom Kurvers.  Kurvers played 55 games for Toronto before being traded to the Canucks.  The 3rd overall pick the Devils received was used to draft Scott Niedermayer.  BTW, has anyone else heard that Kris Draper was traded to the Wings from the Jets for $1?  Perhaps part of NHL lore. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think LRH will enjoy this one: In '89 the Leafs traded their first rounder (3rd overall) to NJ for D Tom Kurvers.  Kurvers played 55 games for Toronto before being traded to the Canucks.  The 3rd overall pick the Devils received was used to draft Scott Niedermayer.  BTW, has anyone else heard that Kris Draper was traded to the Wings from the Jets for $1?  Perhaps part of NHL lore. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    It's true RHO. After winning his first cup, Draper paid a dollar back to the owner and stated(according to legend) "investment paid in full".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]June 28, 1964: Boston trades rights to Ken Dryden to Montreal for Guy Allen and Paul Reid.... wonder how many more Stanleys the B'S would've won and how many the habnots wouldn't have.... sorry, must take the good with the bad....  and the ugly!.... 
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]
    This one is obviously bad & ugly, but who knew at the time what a stellar career Dryden would go on to have. Did Allen or Reid even play for the Bruins? A little before my time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]Sandog, since we're a week from Dmr, look at R2 today at Hol -- #6 Also, checkout this site: http://mysite.verizon.net/whobet/trks2day.html It is where I get all my info, and it's free. Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

man how bout AL SECORD ALLSTAR BLACKHAWKS  for mike o'connell
    or  joe (i'm yodeling) juneau for al iafrate=sucked!
    b's traded reg leach and 2 others for carol vadnais  bummer
      rob demiao for mike knuble never should have lost him! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The Neely trade was one that came back to haunt the Canucks many times, for sure. 

But here's one where the Canucks came out on the good side, big time:

1996 trade deadline:  Vancouver sends Alek Stojanov to Pittsburgh for Markus Naslund (straight up).

Stojanov's stats with the Pens:  2 seasons, 45 GP, 2G, 4A, 6PTS.
    Naslund's stats with the Canucks: 13 seasons, 884 GP, 346G, 410A, 756PTS.

Stats-wise, could very well be the most lopsided trade ever.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts