Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades:
    [QUOTE]Dawg,, Nifty is my all time favorite too!!   Remember his sweep checks? How about getting Horton and Campbell for Wideman?    Recchi and a second for Lashoff and ________, neither of whom are now in the NHL. The Kessel treade could qualify.....give it a few years to pan out.  However it's got to be offset by the Kaberle fiasco.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

Clam, Martins Karsums is the other guy you were looking for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Still too early to decide on this one but the Rask for Raycroft trade could be up there. Raycroft was just dismal in his 2 years in Toronto meanwhile Rask is still early 20's and has shown he can be a go-to-guy in the NHL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think the Roy trade was the most lopsided. Two cups for Kovalenko,Rucinsky and Thibault...Throw in Mike Keane, wow

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : This one is obviously bad & ugly, but who knew at the time what a stellar career Dryden would go on to have. Did Allen or Reid even play for the Bruins? A little before my time.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

i couldn't even find Allen & Reid in the hockey-reference.com database....

as for Dryden, he went on to win six cups in nine years....  ouch!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Dryden should be the NHL Commissioner.  The guy is a lawyer (so he understands contracts), he's served as a Member of Parliament, he's written several books about hockey and other subjects, he's extremely smart, articulate, and best of all, he's played the game.  He knows the game from the players' perspective, from management (he was President of the Leafs for a while), and as anyone's who's read "Home Game" will realize, he understands the fan's investment in the game.

And, unlike our current commish, Dryden has a lot of integrity, and can speak about the game from the heart, and with tons of credibility.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : It's true RHO. After winning his first cup, Draper paid a dollar back to the owner and stated(according to legend) "investment paid in full".
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That is wild, dez.  Thanks for the info.  Honestly, I thought it had to be legend but you've shown otherwise.  Cheers, buddy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]Dryden should be the NHL Commissioner.  The guy is a lawyer (so he understands contracts), he's served as a Member of Parliament, he's written several books about hockey and other subjects, he's extremely smart, articulate, and best of all, he's played the game.  He knows the game from the players' perspective, from management (he was President of the Leafs for a while), and as anyone's who's read "Home Game" will realize, he understands the fan's investment in the game. And, unlike our current commish, Dryden has a lot of integrity, and can speak about the game from the heart, and with tons of credibility.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

no argument here, Dryden might've been the most intelligent player ever and maybe the reason the B'S dealt him not knowing his commitment to a hockey career or not being able to reach a deal with a youngster who had other options and wasn't going to play a sport for peanuts....

actually Dryden won six cups in eight years....  i forgot that he'd taken a year off to resume his education....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Still too early to decide on this one but the Rask for Raycroft trade could be up there. Raycroft was just dismal in his 2 years in Toronto meanwhile Rask is still early 20's and has shown he can be a go-to-guy in the NHL
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

But yet he holds the Leafs record for most wins in a season with 37. That's more than Potvin; more than Cujo & more than Belfour. Listening to NHL Home Ice. There's a program on there called Leafs Lunch. They often talk about Raycroft & say he was a scapegoat for a lot of the problems; they called him the Oswald of Toronto. He was just a patsy. They said Marty Brodeur in his prime would've had a hard time playing with the Leafs when Raycroft was there. They were that dismal.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Dryden should be the NHL Commissioner.  The guy is a lawyer (so he understands contracts), he's served as a Member of Parliament, he's written several books about hockey and other subjects, he's extremely smart, articulate, and best of all, he's played the game.  He knows the game from the players' perspective, from management (he was President of the Leafs for a while), and as anyone's who's read "Home Game" will realize, he understands the fan's investment in the game. And, unlike our current commish, Dryden has a lot of integrity, and can speak about the game from the heart, and with tons of credibility.
    I don't understand why Canadians have such a beef with Bettman!! Especially Canuck fans! If it wasn't for Bettman & owners like Jacobs. YOU wouldn't have a hockey team! The only two Canadian franchises that would've survived without a cap & revenue sharing would be Toronto & Montreal!! If it wasn't for the cap; Winnipeg doesn't get another franchise. There wouldn't be parody in the league like there is. The way Vancouver boo'd Bettman was as classless as Montreal booing the US anthem! Gary Bettmen is the only commissioner; president; or leader in sports that actually interacts with it's fan base! He does this every Thurs. So try & tell me again why you & the other blind Canadian fools are against this guy. When he actually helped save the team you cheer for!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : But yet he holds the Leafs record for most wins in a season with 37. That's more than Potvin; more than Cujo & more than Belfour. Listening to NHL Home Ice. There's a program on there called Leafs Lunch. They often talk about Raycroft & say he was a scapegoat for a lot of the problems; they called him the Oswald of Toronto. He was just a patsy. They said Marty Brodeur in his prime would've had a hard time playing with the Leafs when Raycroft was there. They were that dismal.  
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Wow, thought I was the only one who thought this way...Raycroft played very well on a team that had some major issues...But hey, after Raycroft broke the single season wins record for a storied Original 6 team it made perfect sense for Ferguson to go get Vesa Toskala..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oh and by the way, I meant the Roy trade was the most lopsided trade in my time..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I've often thought the Neely (and draft pick which brought Glen Wesley) trade was a bit of a fluke. I remember having a couple of 'holy cr*p' months when it was made as Peterson routinely racked up twice as many points per season as Neely did. Did feel better by the end of the 86-87 season though.
    Can't see how Harry had the foresight to see Neely's potential and wheel spinning in Vancouver. Maybe he knew that Peterson's shoulder problem would mean he would never be the player he once was but somehow I doubt it.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think LRH will enjoy this one: In '89 the Leafs traded their first rounder (3rd overall) to NJ for D Tom Kurvers.  Kurvers played 55 games for Toronto before being traded to the Canucks.  The 3rd overall pick the Devils received was used to draft Scott Niedermayer.  BTW, has anyone else heard that Kris Draper was traded to the Wings from the Jets for $1?  Perhaps part of NHL lore. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    yeah that one suc#%@D.  I'm sure there's a lot more in Toronto's history.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : I don't understand why Canadians have such a beef with Bettman!! Especially Canuck fans! If it wasn't for Bettman & owners like Jacobs. YOU wouldn't have a hockey team! The only two Canadian franchises that would've survived without a cap & revenue sharing would be Toronto & Montreal!! If it wasn't for the cap; Winnipeg doesn't get another franchise. There wouldn't be parody in the league like there is. The way Vancouver boo'd Bettman was as classless as Montreal booing the US anthem! Gary Bettmen is the only commissioner; president; or leader in sports that actually interacts with it's fan base! He does this every Thurs. So try & tell me again why you & the other blind Canadian fools are against this guy. When he actually helped save the team you cheer for!!

Sorry, I didn't know you were Bettman's nephew.

Let me see, where to begin?  How about the epic failure of the southern expansion in Phoenix and Atlanta?  The relocation of franchises away from traditional hockey markets (Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg and the original North Stars)?  Signing a broadcast deal with a fringe network (Vs.) instead of a major player (ESPN)?  The uneven application of supplemental discipline, to the point where players don't know what's legal and what's going to result in a suspension?

I agree that a salary cap and revenue sharing were beneficial for Canadian teams, particularly when the C$ was down in the .65-.70 range. 

On balance, however, I believe that the league would have been better off without Bettman, who had virtually no knowledge of hockey when he took the job.  Imagine you or I taking on the head position of a major organization with that little knowledge or experience in that organization's basic operation.  Yes, he was a senior exec with the NBA, but that's like someone jumping from VP of British Airways to President of IBM.

With Dryden's overall knowledge of the game, its fan base, the business side, and legal matters, I think he'd do a much, much better job of running the NHL than Bettman could ever dream of.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : Sorry, I didn't know you were Bettman's nephew. Let me see, where to begin?  How about the epic failure of the southern expansion in Phoenix and Atlanta?  The relocation of franchises away from traditional hockey markets (Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg and the original North Stars)?  Signing a broadcast deal with a fringe network (Vs.) instead of a major player (ESPN)?  The uneven application of supplemental discipline, to the point where players don't know what's legal and what's going to result in a suspension? I agree that a salary cap and revenue sharing were beneficial for Canadian teams, particularly when the C$ was down in the .65-.70 range.  On balance, however, I believe that the league would have been better off without Bettman, who had virtually no knowledge of hockey when he took the job.  Imagine you or I taking on the head position of a major organization with that little knowledge or experience in that organization's basic operation.  Yes, he was a senior exec with the NBA, but that's like someone jumping from VP of British Airways to President of IBM. With Dryden's overall knowledge of the game, its fan base, the business side, and legal matters, I think he'd do a much, much better job of running the NHL than Bettman could ever dream of.
    I'm not sure of the exact numbers but isn't NHL viewership up since signing the deal with VS. ? Regardind supplemental discipline, I'm not sure what(if anything) Bettman has to do with it aside from being in on hiring the guy who is responsible for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I am not a big fan of Bettman but Ken Dryden is an idiot.  He may be book smart but if the GM's ever had to attend a meeting with mister know it all droning on and on, they would need to slit their wrists.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Just out of curiosity, does Gary Bettman know how to skate?  Has he ever been seen/photographed skating?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]I am not a big fan of Bettman but Ken Dryden is an idiot.  He may be book smart but if the GM's ever had to attend a meeting with mister know it all droning on and on, they would need to slit their wrists.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

"Ken Dryden is an idiot"?

Gimme a break!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : "Ken Dryden is an idiot"? Gimme a break!

I thought the same thing you thought of when I read that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : Sorry, I didn't know you were Bettman's nephew. Let me see, where to begin?  How about the epic failure of the southern expansion in Phoenix and Atlanta?  The relocation of franchises away from traditional hockey markets (Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg and the original North Stars)?  Signing a broadcast deal with a fringe network (Vs.) instead of a major player (ESPN)?  The uneven application of supplemental discipline, to the point where players don't know what's legal and what's going to result in a suspension? I agree that a salary cap and revenue sharing were beneficial for Canadian teams, particularly when the C$ was down in the .65-.70 range.  On balance, however, I believe that the league would have been better off without Bettman, who had virtually no knowledge of hockey when he took the job.  Imagine you or I taking on the head position of a major organization with that little knowledge or experience in that organization's basic operation.  Yes, he was a senior exec with the NBA, but that's like someone jumping from VP of British Airways to President of IBM. With Dryden's overall knowledge of the game, its fan base, the business side, and legal matters, I think he'd do a much, much better job of running the NHL than Bettman could ever dream of.

Well he didn't put those teams in the South without the board of govenors approval! He also is the one who KNEW that NBC was in the process of expanding in the Sports scene. Hence the reason he jumped on board with Versus. ESPN did nothing for the hockey except slam it! Where the heck have you been in last 20 yrs! ESPN never gave the NHL any good publicity! They only showed when some Idiot like Sean Avery did something stupid! Ken Dryden has been out of the league since 1979! Don't give me he'd do a better job because he was a player! Dryden only uses hockey as a spring board to help his political career! That's what he wants to do! If he wanted anything to do with hockey he would've stayed involved! So you calling for Dryden is just a 649 dream you have!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : Well he didn't put those teams in the South without the board of govenors approval! He also is the one who KNEW that NBC was in the process of expanding in the Sports scene. Hence the reason he jumped on board with Versus. ESPN did nothing for the hockey except slam it! Where the heck have you been in last 20 yrs! ESPN never gave the NHL any good publicity! They only showed when some Idiot like Sean Avery did something stupid! Ken Dryden has been out of the league since 1979! Don't give me he'd do a better job because he was a player! Dryden only uses hockey as a spring board to help his political career! That's what he wants to do! If he wanted anything to do with hockey he would've stayed involved! So you calling for Dryden is just a 649 dream you have!

I guess Dryden's involvement with the Maple Leafs from 1997 to 2004 doesn't count as "being in the league".  Also, his two books on hockey ("The Game", published in 1983, and "Home Game: Hockey and Life in Canada", published in 1990) didn't require any knowledge of hockey either.

Frankly, the orangutan from "Any Which Way But Loose" could have done a better job than Bettman.  A good Commissioner would not simply act on the orders of the Board of Governors.  A good Commissioner would provide options for the Board to make an informed decision in the best interest of the entire league.  I don't have much faith that Bettman is capable of that.

Oh, and as for ESPN's reporting of hockey: EVERYONE reports it when Sean Avery does something stupid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" A good Commissioner would not simply act on the orders of the Board of Governors.  A good Commissioner would provide options for the Board to make an informed decision in the best interest of the entire league."

The board headed by JJ gives Gary his raises who do you think he's going to cater too ?

The majority of owners are from the US and with Hockey having already failed in Winnipeg and Quebec why would he be in a hurry to go back ?

What other Canadian cities would you suggest Bettman scout for Billionaires ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : I guess Dryden's involvement with the Maple Leafs from 1997 to 2004 doesn't count as "being in the league".  Also, his two books on hockey ("The Game", published in 1983, and "Home Game: Hockey and Life in Canada", published in 1990 ) didn't require any knowledge of hockey either. Frankly, the orangutan from "Any Which Way But Loose" could have done a better job than Bettman.  A good Commissioner would not simply act on the orders of the Board of Governors.  A good Commissioner would provide options for the Board to make an informed decision in the best interest of the entire league.  I don't have much faith that Bettman is capable of that. Oh, and as for ESPN's reporting of hockey: EVERYONE reports it when Sean Avery does something stupid.  
    A good Commissioner would want to expand the league & not be afraid! Hockey as it was when Gary B. Stepped in. Was in trouble! He knew it was one of two things Moron! Expand in the South to get a TV market; or LOCK OUT!!! You don't have a clue about NOTHING except you're a typical Canadian Dolt; who only reads the cover of the book instead of whats inside!! So shutup & go spread your typical Canadian attitude to the Canuck forums! Your mindless & opinionated attitude is not welcome here!

Hey Mr. Tool! When has ESPN EVER made hockey a TOP STORY!!! WHEN? You're an idiot! & I bet you're the 1 who reported me aren't you!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Working in one sport and then working in another is not like working at an airline and then working for a computer company.  Terrible analogy.

Before Bettman, there was this thing called SportsChannel-USA.  Bettman got the NHL on ESPN.

Did hockey fail in Winnepeg because of Gary Bettman?  Did hockey fail in Hartford because of Gary Bettman?  Please explain.

The NHL Jets existed from '79 to '96 (17 years).  Tampa has had a team since 1992 (19 years).  The NHL doesn't need a team in Winnepeg to sell hockey there.  A team in Tampa (not to mention the other one in Miami) is incredible marketing.