Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades

In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades:
    [QUOTE]Just out of curiosity, does Gary Bettman know how to skate?  Has he ever been seen/photographed skating?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Can Bud Selig hit?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : I thought the same thing you thought of when I read that.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I am not saying that he isn't intelligent.  He is a bright guy and he is very analytical and he would bring some worthwhile thoughts to a conversation.  The negatives are his long winded hot air commentaries on everything (Mr. know it all) that a lot of people find annoying and boring.  As a leader he would have a soap box to be yakking on even more than he did as a politician.  He is also left leaning on fighting (there's a surprise) and although I think there needs to be more respect in the game and tougher suspensions for dirty play, I do not want to see fighting removed from the game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Historical breakdown of some trash for treasure trades : I am not saying that he isn't intelligent.  He is a bright guy and he is very analytical and he would bring some worthwhile thoughts to a conversation.  The negatives are his long winded hot air commentaries on everything (Mr. know it all) that a lot of people find annoying and boring.  As a leader he would have a soap box to be yakking on even more than he did as a politician.  He is also left leaning on fighting (there's a surprise) and although I think there needs to be more respect in the game and tougher suspensions for dirty play, I do not want to see fighting removed from the game. 
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. This makes more sense then calling him an idiot .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

NAS,Nite I hear what your saying. First the ESPN thing, they didnt even start sportscenter the night the Bruins won the Cup with hockey as it's lead story. The next day,after the Nuk fans rioted, then that got some coverage. There could be an epic Stanley Cup game 7 that ends in triple overtime, but if Brett Favre is seen playing catch at a local high school, I promise you, that will be the lead story for them.

I agree with NAS here, you don't need an NHL team in Winnipeg to sell hockey there.They are going to watch Hockey Night In Canada every weekend no matter what.  But Bettman does need hockey teams in more U.S markets to get the most lucrative TV deal form NBC or Versus, because they have more money t give to the NHL. Thats the bottom line. As a fan i would like to see more teams in Canada than the southern markets because of the passion factor. It;s a healthier league in that respect, but it doesnt translate into the dollars the NHL needs. Winnipeg will sell out for the first few years, as did the southern markets, or most of them anyway, but if they are bad, in this economy, it will be the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I won't bother responding to nitemare-38, simply due to the tone of his response.  However, NAS has some good points, which I would like to respond to. 

While there are similarities between the NBA and the NHL, I think the NHL would have been better off to find someone who understands the game, and its relevance in various markets in North America.  The 'southern experiment' was so hit and miss because of the basic requirement for creating an audience base for a sport -- the ability to play it.  A team has failed in Atlanta twice, because there is no grass roots hockey being played there (to any significant extent).  My understanding is that the Stars, as soon as they landed in Dallas, dramatically expanded their community involvement, and encouraged kids to get out there and play hockey.  Perhaps failures in Atlanta and Phoenix can't be dumped 100% on Bettman's lap, but he's the Commish, and the buck stops with him.  Which brings me to Winnipeg/Quebec/Hartford/North Stars.  Bettman is moving heaven and earth in order to keep a franchise on life support in Phoenix, but allowed four franchises to leave traditional hockey markets.  Why? 

While I'm not saying that everything Bettman has touched has turned to lead, I'm saying that the league would have been better off with someone else in his place.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I won't bother responding to nitemare-38, simply due to the tone of his response.  However, NAS has some good points, which I would like to respond to.  While there are similarities between the NBA and the NHL, I think the NHL would have been better off to find someone who understands the game, and its relevance in various markets in North America.  The 'southern experiment' was so hit and miss because of the basic requirement for creating an audience base for a sport -- the ability to play it.  A team has failed in Atlanta twice, because there is no grass roots hockey being played there (to any significant extent).  My understanding is that the Stars, as soon as they landed in Dallas, dramatically expanded their community involvement, and encouraged kids to get out there and play hockey.  Perhaps failures in Atlanta and Phoenix can't be dumped 100% on Bettman's lap, but he's the Commish, and the buck stops with him.  Which brings me to Winnipeg/Quebec/Hartford/North Stars.  Bettman is moving heaven and earth in order to keep a franchise on life support in Phoenix, but allowed four franchises to leave traditional hockey markets.  Why?  While I'm not saying that everything Bettman has touched has turned to lead, I'm saying that the league would have been better off with someone else in his place.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

One team has failed in a new market since it went from 21 to 30.  I'd say that's incredible, amazing, and beyond their wildest dreams when they expanded.  Since they started adding teams, hockey is alive in Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, Dallas and (at the time of this writing) Phoenix.  Hockey is thriving in new places. 

If you're going to crank Bettman for Atlanta, you have to give him all the credit for hockey succeeding in all of these other markets. 

Who cares if there is a hockey team in Hartford?  Is Bettman's 18 year reign as commissioner going to be judged by whether or not they play NHL games in a mall in Connecticut?  Hartford, hockey mad Hartford lost it team to North Carolina (of all places) and hockey in North Carolina is thriving! 

I can assure you that Gary Bettman understands hockey.  To suggest that he doesn't is fool's banter.  I'm sure he can explain icing just like the rest of us can.  Another thing he understands is the business of sport.  From his wiki page:  "Under Bettman, the NHL has seen rapid growth of league revenues, from $400 million when he was hired to over $2.2 billion in 2006–07." 

Yeah, he's worthless.   I bet he can't even skate.