History?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

History?

Why is it sports writers always refer to a team coming back from being down 3-0 and winning the series as having a chance to make history? It's already been done 3 times before . I must be missing something.The first team that did it made history, the way i see it anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: History?

sensationalism my friend. ever notice how every boxing match is deemed "the most anticipated fight in history"? it's how you sell things. watch the news, they are sure to lead off with a death or tragedy, good way to get your attention. simple- and it works on feeble-minded people. these are the true kool-aid drinkers.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"making history" just means doing something noteworthy.  Doesn't have to be the first or only time, though you often hear the phrase specifying that someone was the first to do something and therefore deserved recognition:  X made history by being the first Bruin fan to cross the street and urinate on a Shabs fan who was on fire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I see your point 50below, but you gotta give up for those "History will be made" commercials. I love those, especially the Yzerman goal on Casey and the Roy glove save. The NHL hit a homer with those.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: History?:
    "making history" just means doing something noteworthy.  Doesn't have to be the first or only time, though you often hear the phrase specifying that someone was the first to do something and therefore deserved recognition:  X made history by being the first Bruin fan to cross the street and urinate on a Shabs fan who was on fire.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Ha Ha !Good one Bookboy,i guess it is noteworthy but by saying "making history"it seems to me to be implying that it hasn't been done before.Not a big deal,like AKD says,just a bit of sensationalism.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

I seen a clip on tv where some braindead makeup-laced moron tv reporter was hypinng up 'The Hangover 2' as the most anticipated sequel in history.   Sort of belittles making history into not that big a deal if you ask me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

Just hope SJ "make history" so we dont have to hear about last year in the media anymore (or less than now).

Sweeping Philly and SJ "making history" will go a long way...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

It's the media. Saying that it's happened a couple times doesn't make it interesting.

Sensationalism sells, I never buy it. Suggest you ignore it as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I seen a clip on tv where some braindead makeup-laced moron tv reporter was hypinng up 'The Hangover 2' as the most anticipated sequel in history.   Sort of belittles making history into not that big a deal if you ask me.
    Posted by Homebrew76

Are you kidding? Did someone really say that. I liked hangover as much as the next guy but I'll bet the next one is an overexagerated flop. Got me thinking as what were in fact the best sequels. here we go.

1. Godfather II- Best sequel ever.
    2. Rocky II  --I don't care If I have it on DVD, it's on AMC, so I watch it.
    3. Jaws II-- I always rooted for the shark, the rest of Jaws were terrible.If you havent seen Shark Men on Nat Geo, your just not living, I could watch Great Whites all day.
    4. All the Jason Bourne movies were great. Same with Austin powers.
    5. Paranormal Activty 2..I love movies like this
    5. I'm missing some, please chime in..Do you know I have never seen a star wars movie or an Indiana Jones flick? Weird I know, but Science fiction stuff doesnt do it for me.

Worst Sequels.
    1. Dumb & Dumberer--First one was easily the funniest movie of all time IMO. Second one is 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
    2. Ace Ventura- God awful.
    3. Halloween 2--I don't even think Myers was in this.
    4. Scream 2...terrible
    5.Excorsist 2....nope

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: History? : Are you kidding? Did someone really say that. I liked hangover as much as the next guy but I'll bet the next one is an overexagerated flop. Got me thinking as what were in fact the best sequels. here we go. 1. Godfather II- Best sequel ever. 2. Rocky II  --I don't care If I have it on DVD, it's on AMC, so I watch it. 3. Jaws II-- I always rooted for the shark, the rest of Jaws were terrible.If you havent seen Shark Men on Nat Geo, your just not living, I could watch Great Whites all day. 4. All the Jason Bourne movies were great. Same with Austin powers. 5. Paranormal Activty 2..I love movies like this 5. I'm missing some, please chime in..Do you know I have never seen a star wars movie or an Indiana Jones flick? Weird I know, but Science fiction stuff doesnt do it for me. Worst Sequels. 1. Dumb & Dumberer--First one was easily the funniest movie of all time IMO. Second one is 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. 2. Ace Ventura- God awful. 3. Halloween 2--I don't even think Myers was in this. 4. Scream 2...terrible 5.Excorsist 2....nope
    Posted by kelvana33

You are thinking of Halloween III "Season of the Witch" but your point is well taken....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

gotta love the media.  we get a "storm of the century" every 10 years in the maritimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm only 35, and I think there's been six Manitoba "Flood of The Century"s in that time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wonder if HABH8TR is right...or if the Sharks getting choked out tonight will only mean last year's Bruins get surgically joined to this year's Sharks in the most improbable of back to backs.  Well, this and Johnny VanderMeer.

More and more, I think that's the fate these Bruins get - "It's only happened five times in the history of professional sports, but in the NHL, it happened twice in two years...."

At least for a while.  Eventually, I see it going back to "no team has come back from 3-0 down since..." but if it keeps happening regularly?  It'll be "Ever since the Flyers came back from 3-0 down to the Boston Bruins...."

They'll always be the first of the 30 team era.  But in the words of Paul Harvey: May you learn humility by being humiliated.

Sections
Shortcuts