History's Worst NHL Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

History's Worst NHL Contract

Watching NYI tonight made me think; wow DiPietro's 15 year $4.5 mill per has to be the worst contract in NHL history. Even if they bought him out they would still be paying him for the next several years. Crazy. Yashin is still on the books for another 3 years!!!

As for the Bruins, certainly Zhamnov's comes to mind. Am I missing one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: History's Worst NHL Contract

Scott Gomez...7years @ $51.5M...annual cap hit of $7.357M has to be in the conversation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: History's Worst NHL Contract:
    [QUOTE]Scott Gomez...7years @ $51.5M...annual cap hit of $7.357M has to be in the conversation.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that one. There must be something in the water in NY.

Lecavalier with a cap hit of $7.727 million till doomsday is not pleasant either. Has anyone's skills taken such a sudden nosedive than him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Thankfully I think the Bruins have avoided the horrid contract.  It is possible we would be complaining about Savards had he not been hurt and there was more than one that said Timmy's was horrible, especially after learning it was locked as an over 35 player.  All in all the worst I can think of was Martin Lapointe, and even with the 5 mil per year he provided some positives.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]Thankfully I think the Bruins have avoided the horrid contract.  It is possible we would be complaining about Savards had he not been hurt and there was more than one that said Timmy's was horrible, especially after learning it was locked as an over 35 player.  All in all the worst I can think of was Martin Lapointe, and even with the 5 mil per year he provided some positives.   
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he played the role of mentor to Bergeron when Patrice broke into the league at 18. Well done on his part for sure. That has paid major dividends to the team down the road.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to History's Worst NHL Contract:
    [QUOTE]Watching NYI tonight made me think; wow DiPietro's 15 year $4.5 mill per has to be the worst contract in NHL history. Even if they bought him out they would still be paying him for the next several years. Crazy. Yashin is still on the books for another 3 years!!! As for the Bruins, certainly Zhamnov's comes to mind. Am I missing one?
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    If he wasn't injured, the deal wouldn't seem so awful. Insurance pays most of his salary so far.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to History's Worst NHL Contract : If he wasn't injured, the deal wouldn't seem so awful. Insurance pays most of his salary so far.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Very true but he is still soaking up cap space. Then again NYI needs these crappy contracts just to get to the cap floor I suppose. Man, what a horrible organization. The Pittsburgh Pirates or Washington Generals of hockey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: History's Worst NHL Contract : Very true but he is still soaking up cap space. Then again NYI needs these crappy contracts just to get to the cap floor I suppose. Man, what a horrible organization. The Pittsburgh Pirates or Washington Generals of hockey.
    Hard to believe they were once one of hockey's only dynasties.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: History's Worst NHL Contract : Hard to believe they were once one of hockey's only dynasties.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

No doubt. I was never a fan but sure did admire those early 80's teams. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I see many similarities between them and the present day Bruins. Both were/are built on hard work, depth, toughness, and (of course), skill.

They are now mere shells fo their former selves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Have to agree that the Gomez deal is pretty bad but what about Luongo's deal in Vancouver? I'm not sure about the details and too lazy to look it up but I'm fairly certain it is a long term deal at big bucks...how is that working out?

Talk about bad sports contracts...Denver Bronco's just struck a deal with Peyton Manning to pay him 96 million bucks for five years of which half is gauranteed, in return the Bronco's get a 36 y/o QB coming off of 4 major neck surgeries...and I thought the Bronco's drafting Tim Tebow was dumb, this takes the cake!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: History's Worst NHL Contract : Forgot about that one. There must be something in the water in NY. Lecavalier with a cap hit of $7.727 million till doomsday is not pleasant either. Has anyone's skills taken such a sudden nosedive than him?

Matt Cooke strikes again. That is what happened to Vince.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Bobby Holik and Wade Redden would not be on my resume if I were Glen Sather.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dale Tallon can give Slats a run with Huet and Campbells contracts but Drury's contract keeps Glenn in the lead. If you have to say one contract Yashin's was easily the worst for me. Zhamnov's was MOCs last nail in the coffin for his NHL GM career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Alexei Yashin's contract with the Islanders for 10 years, $87.5 millioin. The Islanders are still paying the contract. They bought out the last 4 years of the contract and are paying it until the end of the 2014-15 season. The Islanders played 31 playoff games over 5 season with Yashin. In 2 of those playoffs, Yashin recorded 1 point or 0 points.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yashin is probably the worst based on term and total dollars.  10 years and $71.5M, with the last four years bought out.  Vinny's more money and more term, but he's at least still playing and, when healthy, he's a 70 pt. player.  Gomez is awful, Redden's awful.  I still don't think DiPietro was stupid but it turned out terribly.  I mean, Minnesota's into Backstrom for almost $70M over 10 years and the only difference really is Backstrom doesn't have DiPietro's injury history.  Huet was awful particularly in tandem with Khabibulin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

4 years. $14 million for D Jeff Finger?  I'd never heard of him before he joined the Leafs as a UFA in 2008.  I think he's been in the AHL for the last couple of years after his first year with Toronto.  Hope he picks up the tab for some team dinners.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]4 years. $14 million for D Jeff Finger?  I'd never heard of him before he joined the Leafs as a UFA in 2008.  I think he's been in the AHL for the last couple of years after his first year with Toronto.  Hope he picks up the tab for some team dinners.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Terrible contract yes, but cool name nonetheless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

was dipietro a mibury deal? too lazy to look it up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]was dipietro a mibury deal? too lazy to look it up.
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

Yep. Surprise, surprise.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Dipietro wasn't injured, it would be a great deal.  He's full of skill and to get that sort of ability (and youth) at $4.5M/yr is truly a steal.  I don't see it as all that bad, just unfortunate.

Finger, Lapointe, Kovalchuk, Drury, Erhoff, Luongo, and Statsny are the ones that I think of when it comes to "They are paying him WHAT?"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]If Dipietro wasn't injured, it would be a great deal.  He's full of skill and to get that sort of ability (and youth) at $4.5M/yr is truly a steal.  
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

100% true. They understood what the cap would be like years in advance of other teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I thought that it was Garth Snow's first big signing as a GM.  I remember thinking that it was ironic that a goalie's first deal as a GM was to sign a goalie to the longest term contract in NHL history up to that point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Drafted by Milbury but the deal was by GM Garth Snow.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

For productivity, Gomez and Redden have to be the worst. Redden is basically an AHL coach.