Hit on Tarasenko

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hit on Tarasenko

Since the Bruins are apparently still on strike (tonight can't come soon enough) and we seem to be having some pretty good discussions on suspendable hits, did anyone see the Olver hit on Tarasenko last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlK0ImxJj3E

It was pretty ugly, as you could tell Tarasenko was out cold immediately.  I was sitting behind the Blues bench, which didn't give me a great view of the hit, but Tarasenko looked very wobbly coming off and it kinda looked to me like he had a broken jaw.

Upon watching the replay -- kind of an unnecessary hit there.  A little late, a little blindside, but the bad part to me was that he could've just taken the body and he really caught the head instead.

Too bad because Tarasenko has been really good and is in the Calder hunt.

I think Olver will get a suspension.  But I haven't heard anything yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Hit on Tarasenko

I was watching this game, i don't know about this one. he glided in to hit him and his shoulder hit his jaw..I dont think there was any intent other than to deliver a hit. i almost want to put the blame on Tarasenko here. Needs to be more aware.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Perhaps a little late, maybe. Who knows what Tarasenko was looking at but it sure wasn't at Olver who laid the boom. Olver is not a dirty player, though he might get a game or two due to his shoulder making contact with the jaw. If it is even looked at by the league. anyone know?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Nevermind.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/update-nhl-won-t-take-action-on-hit-to-tarasenko/article_d91a8c07-6cff-5b5a-971a-2eb5bfbb621d.html

I guess you're right kel.  I agree that Tarasenko was awfully unaware and bears some of the blame, but I still think when you catch a guy daydreaming you gotta catch him shoulder to shoulder or shoulder to chest.  I think it's Olver's responsibility not to plant his shoulder in the guy's jaw no matter how aloof the target is. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's a tough one, maybe a little late, but he was gliding in and Tarasenko basically pivoted straight into him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416514

Good break down of it by Fraser - his opinion was it should have been two minutes for charging.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Olver is shorter than Tarasenko. How did he get his shoulder into Tarasenkos jaw? It looked to me like he turned and bent to skate out and got clocked. What is Olver supposed to do? Bend his knees and get lower? Tarasenko should have his head on a swivel. This hit came less than half a second after he released the puck. Not late, not dirty, not suspendable. Keep your head-up kiddo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If Tarasenko hadn't pivoted when he did it would have been a penalty for either charging or hitting from behind. Until Tarasenko swiveled, all Olver could see was numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416514

Good break down of it by Fraser - his opinion was it should have been two minutes for charging.

Red, breakdowns like this one are why I have to take Fraser with a grain of salt. It seems he's trying to write new rules with his idea that the play be called charging although he admits that Olver was "gliding prior to impact". He points out that Tarasenko's turn made it impossible to apply rule 48 (check to the head) but then goes on to quote parts of rule 43 (checking from behind) as justification as to why a minor penalty should've been called. It seems like he's too quick to act like he would've got the call right if he was on the ice even though it's not clear to me that he can make the right call even with the benefit of hindsight. Tough break for Tarasenko but I don't feel like Olver did anything wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

yeah, I agree dez, just thought I'd share the pro's opnion. To me I think it's not a penalty - if Tarasenko didn't pivot and Olver still didn't pull up, then he gets the box.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

yeah, I agree dez, just thought I'd share the pro's opnion. To me I think it's not a penalty - if Tarasenko didn't pivot and Olver still didn't pull up, then he gets the box.

To me it seems difficult for Olver to avoid contact considering the late pivot. I should've also admitted that I read Fraser for exactly the reason you mention. Whethet I agree or not, it's still nice to get a pro perspective.

Sections
Shortcuts