Hit the bricks, 52.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Hit the bricks, 52.

I'm OK with Hamill's play, though I haven't seen much of the last number of games when the team has been struggling.  I thought he played within the system well and has some good puck skills.  He didn't do anything to make his line better, like a guy like Peverley does almost every shift, but didn't hurt it.  I think he could end up being a solid NHL center on another team. I'm happy if they keep him for a spare.  It does seem like picking up a proven winger could be a good idea though, a rental to guard against injuries.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Could be worse with Hamill...for example, Nino Niederreiter has a 1-0-1 line in 26gp with a -16.  Normally you would expect to see about 100Pims along with a scoring line like that. Even DiPietro has more points than him (2 assists). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52.:
    [QUOTE]Could be worse with Hamill...for example, Nino Niederreiter has a 1-0-1 line in 26gp with a -16.  Normally you would expect to see about 100Pims along with a scoring line like that. Even DiPietro has more points than him (2 assists). 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    I think the Isle's were expecting much more from Nino. I remember watching him in the world juniors, he singlehandedly carried the Swiss on his back. He still young, but 1 goal?Maybe he's going to be the Isle's Zack Hamill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]With less than 20 games in the NHL, I won't call him a bust overall, but so far, he sure is a bust for the Bruins.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    It certainly seems unlikely that he will find another gear (ala Marchand).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : It certainly seems unlikely that he will find another gear (ala Marchand).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I think his clutch is broken.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Could be worse with Hamill...for example, Nino Niederreiter has a 1-0-1 line in 26gp with a -16.  Normally you would expect to see about 100Pims along with a scoring line like that. Even DiPietro has more points than him (2 assists). 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I think Nino Niederreiter has potential, I wouldn't give up on him yet.
    And that is one more goal than Zach has scored.
    He has more size.  He's stronger and faster.

I would give up Zach and anybody, maybe 2 currently in Providence for Nino.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Plus he has to play within the system....And on the 3rd or 4th line, he has responsibilities. Sort of like what held Seguin back last year from producing more. It is what it is. Maybe he'll come out a little more with more games and when he has earned the freedom from the coaching staff to showcase any skill he has. He's a little light in the skates for me, so he needs to put on a few lbs next year.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]

He has had plenty of opportunities to do something.  He does nothing.  System or no system, he does nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : Alright so you that has been too many Providence games is there anyone on that lineup (besides Caron) that can bring some energy to the Bruins? Be the extra forward (as Paille last season) that can step in on a 4th line , bring energy with one of the Bruin current players hurt, suspended or plainly benched ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

No!  The Providence Bruins are terrible! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : His middle name should be "non-factor".  Nothing happens when he's near the puck.  I've seen him many, many times playing for Providence, also.  Nothing happened in those games, either.

Sounds like he hasn't been a presence from the time he's been Boston property.  Is there an aspect of his game i. e. his skating, passing, shooting, the way he appears to think the game that has made you even remotely hopeful he'll be with the Bruins one day?  No essence of "Aha! I think he finally gets it" instances? 

Better yet.  In your view what's holding him back?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : Sounds like he hasn't been a presence from the time he's been Boston property.  Is there an aspect of his game i. e. his skating, passing, shooting, the way he appears to think the game that has made you even remotely hopeful he'll be with the Bruins one day?  No essence of "Aha! I think he finally gets it" instances?  Better yet.  In your view what's holding him back?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Poor decisions with the puck.

Last night had a perfect example.  I'm going straight from memory here, but the puck was shot by a Bruin and blocked.  It comes to Hamill 15 feet from the net with a Hurricane right in front of him.  Instead of trying to make something happen, he just sort of shot it.  Of course it was blocked or deflected and Carolina regained possession.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

NAS-Is Caron really that much worse?(bad grammar, sorry) Why hasn't he been given Hamill's spot?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I wish the term and idea of the "showcase" was limited to discussions involving The Price is Right.

It has no relevance in a discussion involving the Boston Bruins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS-Is Caron really that much worse?(bad grammar, sorry) Why hasn't he been given Hamill's spot?
    Posted by Chef09[/QUOTE]

I don't know if he's that much worse, or if neither one of them is ready for full time duty on a team like today's Boston Bruins.  When I think of Caron, I think, "What has he done?  Has he ever done anything?" 

Hamill had that one sweet pass.  Caron had a beautiful look-what-found-me empty netter.

These guys aren't good enough for Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : What are you talking about?  We want to acquire something at the trade deadline and only want to give up non-roster players.  All of our prospects are in this situation.  I want Hamill to play way over his head for the next couple weeks.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

Name one time that Chiarelli has done this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : Poor decisions with the puck. Last night had a perfect example.  I'm going straight from memory here, but the puck was shot by a Bruin and blocked.  It comes to Hamill 15 feet from the net with a Hurricane right in front of him.  Instead of trying to make something happen, he just sort of shot it.  Of course it was blocked or deflected and Carolina regained possession.

Sounds like there has been little of what first caught the eyes of the Bruins.  Unfortunate especially with the likes of Couture, also a centre taken right behind him at 9th.  The team has been patient in giving him ample time to develop. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : You have a point.  I don't think Chiarelli is doing this.  But the fact is Caron is better, and he has to open his eyes to this.  Hamill did have that nice pass.  I can't think of something quite that skilled that Caron did.  But Caron does more that doesn't show up on highlight reels.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

I don't get my Bruins information from highlight reels.  I get it from watching the games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I keep thinking about what a total dud Marchand was in his 20 game stint two years ago.  He was worse than Hamill's been this year.  Hamill has been invisible most nights, which means he also isn't making the kind of glaringly stupid mistake, the bail-out, and lost look that even Seguin had for long stretches last year.  He's been reasonably responsible.

As for making something happen...god love Chris Kelly, but he is not a gifted offensive player.  He has almost zero creativity with the puck.  I can't get past the number of odd man rushes he's led where he was paralyzed by indecision and ended up carrying the puck to the goal line or around behind the net.  He gets points from making smart plays without the puck.  Pouliot is a maroon.  If he's not right on the edge of tripping over his own feet, he's not playing fast enough or aggressively enough to make anything happen.  So I can't blame Hamill for not making something happen on that line because neither of the other guys is creating either.

You can blame him for not doing much when he's had his shot on the first line.  And for his indifferent career in Providence.  I think he's a guy with a gear that we've seen in short glimpses - some nice passes, good defense, smart transition - but he needs a big carrot to shift into it.  He may be another Jason Allison who looked like a guy who would never "get it" until he suddenly found himself with the opportunity to be a #1C - and became a point/game player.  Hamill may never be that effective (probably...almost certainly will not) but it may take that kind of opportunity to keep his fire stoked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I keep thinking about what a total dud Marchand was in his 20 game stint two years ago.  He was worse than Hamill's been this year.  Hamill has been invisible most nights, which means he also isn't making the kind of glaringly stupid mistake, the bail-out, and lost look that even Seguin had for long stretches last year.  He's been reasonably responsible. As for making something happen...god love Chris Kelly, but he is not a gifted offensive player.  He has almost zero creativity with the puck.  I can't get past the number of odd man rushes he's led where he was paralyzed by indecision and ended up carrying the puck to the goal line or around behind the net.  He gets points from making smart plays without the puck.  Pouliot is a maroon.  If he's not right on the edge of tripping over his own feet, he's not playing fast enough or aggressively enough to make anything happen.  So I can't blame Hamill for not making something happen on that line because neither of the other guys is creating either. You can blame him for not doing much when he's had his shot on the first line.  And for his indifferent career in Providence.  I think he's a guy with a gear that we've seen in short glimpses - some nice passes, good defense, smart transition - but he needs a big carrot to shift into it.  He may be another Jason Allison who looked like a guy who would never "get it" until he suddenly found himself with the opportunity to be a #1C - and became a point/game player.  Hamill may never be that effective (probably...almost certainly will not) but it may take that kind of opportunity to keep his fire stoked.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I applaud your optimism.  Now, take off those glasses and come back to reality!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52.:[QUOTE]I keep thinking about what a total dud Marchand was in his 20 game stint two years ago.  He was worse than Hamill's been this year.  Hamill has been invisible most nights, which means he also isn't making the kind of glaringly stupid mistake, the bail-out, and lost look that even Seguin had for long stretches last year. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

This is where Dez's "other gear" comes into play, where is it Zack ? Sitting Hamill for a few games in favor of Caron might wake the sloth back up until PC is forced to make that depth move sooner. I agree Zack hasn't made any glaring mistakes but when the whole team is slumping something has to be done, pull the trigger on a vet 3rd line grinder or bring Caron back up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hit the bricks, 52. : This is where Dez's "other gear" comes into play, where is it Zack ? Sitting Hamill for a few games in favor of Caron might wake the sloth back up until PC is forced to make that depth move sooner. I agree Zack hasn't made any glaring mistakes but when the whole team is slumping something has to be done, pull the trigger on a vet 3rd line grinder or bring Caron back up.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

They have tried to wake him up a few times, they publicly called him out as I recall.

He is non-wake-up-able.  Coma.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And for the "he doesn't hurt the team" crew:

That's something that might be okay in the AHL or ECHL.  This is the National Hockey League.  This is the best league in the world, and in it play the best players (save on or two in Sweden/Russia/Czech). 

He's playing on the third line.  With 30 NHL teams, if he's the worst third line player in the league, that still puts him in the Top 200 forwards on Earth.  If you're in the Top 200 on Earth, you have to be better than simply not hurting the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

When Hamill was sent down earlier this year, he had to clear waivers, right?  So anyone could have just put in a claim on him?  Nobody did.  Not one of the other 29 NHL teams thought enough of him to put in a claim and "steal" him from the Bruins.

What has he done since?
    AHL: 25gp 7-7-14
    NHL: 15gp 0-2-2

I haven't seen anything from him that says there is anything special there.  I applaud his effort, he is really trying to finish his checks.  Also, probably playing out of position.   When that is the best you can say about a player, time to move on to the next.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Crowls,

I fully agree.  And let it also be known that I don't dislike Hamill as a player or a person or as a whatever.  I really wanted this guy to do well.  After the beating I gave him for quite a while, it looked like I was going to be tarred and feathered, but then it didn't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd say there is no way he is being "showcased" right now. The only reason he was put in the line up is because of the injury to Horton. Also, the only reason he has stayed in the line up is becasue the pipeline of forwards is that thin. I really wanted this kid to work out, still do, just don't think it is going to happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Agreed.  This teams 4 forward lines are not as good or deep as last years group.
    Even with Seguin emerging as a steady top 6 forward we still are left with less depth.  Seguin was part of the depth last year.

With Recchi and Ryder gone the impact has been felt on line # 3 the most.  Line #1 is unchanged and only affected by the injury to Horton.  Line #2 might be even better in terms of point production compared to last year.  But line #3 has been a mish mash of pieces.  Ryder was playing 3rd line minutes and scoring some big goals during last years run.  A thrid line of Ryder-Peverly-Kelly is way better than what we have seen this year.  Kelly was been the only consistent part there.  With Peverly slotting in on the #1 line (Horton injury) Pouliot, Hamill and Caron are just not as good was what we had last year from line #3. 

B's need 1 more top 9 forward and a 5-6 dman wouldn't hurt either.

Sections
Shortcuts