Hockey and reality TV.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hockey and reality TV.

I read recently where HBO after having such positive feedback from 24/7 Pens-Caps is attempting to follow a team throughout the NHL playoffs. It would be just one team, and obviously just air it as long as the team is in the playoffs. I for one am for it. I love this stuff, but it stated the NHLPA was balking at it due to injuries being revealed and a distraction for the players were there top 2 concerns.
    I for one would love this, and never has a NHL team been followed through a post season before. HBO says they want to do something groundbreaking and that it would be great for the game. Supposedly Chicago has volunteered and a few other team have shown interest but NHLPA is balking..I really don't see the problem, the recently aired Bill Belichik piece was done nicley without revealing anything, in fact they didnt even touch on the Seymour deal but I dont think the show suffered from it. Like I said, I loved 24/7, watched every Hardknocks and thought the NHL network did a great job with Oil Change (if you guys havent seen that it's and awesome behind the scenes take on the draft and the season)..I beleive they followed the Blues at the draft one year, that was done nicley too, anyone else hear of this.  I read it a little while ago and havent seen anything on it since if anyone has something bring it here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Hockey and reality TV.

Kel, I can understand the NHLPA's stance.
    Imagine if HBO did that last year and picked the Bruins. How would the distraction have impacted their chances? Twice the Bruins came within one goal of getting bounced. Could the distraction of a film crew be enough to make  one-goal difference? Maybe. It would certaily be used as a scapegoat, and fans would question the choice of management to allow it to happen in the first place if their was a perception that it impacted a team's performance. Maybe if HBO struck a deal with a team that is not likely to be a contendor but could make the playoffs, like the Preds or Habs. Less risk of impacting the playoffs significantly. 

But I don't see why teams ike the Canucks, Bruins, Caps, Pens, or Sharks would go for it. Not worth the risk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the behind the scenes stuff should stay behind the scenes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What's reality TV ? Hocus pocus fed by the producers "Mike bang your head against the wall then pretend it's hurt."

If I were a player I wouldn't sign the waiver...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawLaw. Show LawLaw's posts

I would love to see HBO do something like this.  However, as intriguing as it would be to have the Bruins be the subject, I would prefer it be another team as I do feel that it could be a distraction to a team.  Selfishly, I guess I would like for it to be any team that the Bruins could potentially face in the playoffs. I don't see the NHLPA approving this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I watched the Pens / Caps HBO series. Compelling ? Not really. But it was worth a watch anway. And to be noted, the filming was done leading up to the Outdoor Classic. In now way, shape or form, would you see a film crew in the dressing room during any playoff action. I'd wait for it to come out on a torrent and download it. I wouldn't pay to see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm shocked, I thought more hockey fans would like this stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey and reality TV.:
    Posted by kelvana33

I can understand how some do.  I care about the end result.  I don't care what the coach said between the second and the third.  I care about how the team played in the third.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by kelvana33

I love the behind the scenes stuff.

I love being close enough to hear the candid talk between Kluzak and Milbury between commercials.

I've been behind the bench in a couple of rinks and have been disappointed not hear what's said on the bench.

I think it's very beneficial for fans to know what's going on behind the scenes in order to get a better appreciation for what's going on.  How many guys are in the training room having their various ailments attended to - and are still going to be playing.  I think its good that people understand that these guys are actually getting bruised and sparained and are still playing.  I think that most of the people who watch don't understand that the guys are getting hurt, I think they assume that the pads catch everything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not interested so much in what they do on their own time etc...It's the thought process and strategy that intrigues me, such as how the Oilers were going back and forth on Seguin/Hall and the cameras are right there. I liked how they were discussing what free agents to target etc..To get looks at the locker room, training facilty and how they conduct practices is is pretty neat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm not interested so much in what they do on their own time etc...It's the thought process and strategy that intrigues me, such as how the Oilers were going back and forth on Seguin/Hall and the cameras are right there. I liked how they were discussing what free agents to target etc..To get looks at the locker room, training facilty and how they conduct practices is is pretty neat.
    Posted by kelvana33

If that' what interests you, why can't that be done during the regular season? Follow the Jets for their first year back then. It would be engaging, and it's not like they have a hope  of being a playoff threat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by kelvana33

Same here, and actually there's nothing in the world I would like to see less than when they're at home with their wives and children, that's actually really painful stuff to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey and reality TV. : If that' what interests you, why can't that be done during the regular season? Follow the Jets for their first year back then. It would be engaging, and it's not like they have a hope  of being a playoff threat.
    Posted by red75

Like I said they did it with the Oilers and it was awesome. HBO wants to take it to another level and follow a team in the postseason, and so what if it's a distraction. Theyre proffesionals, if you can't handle it cause a camera is there too bad.Not like they won't make money off of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I heard the Leafs were interested in doing it but they pulled out of talks when HBO mentioned playoffs. Wink

Sections
Shortcuts