Hockey Day in America

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Hockey Day in America

It's a great day to be a hockey fan.  Typically I do not hang around inside the house all day, but today was a perfect day to do just that. Non-stop network TV coverage of NHL games has been fantastic and very enjoyable. I do not have the center ice package so for me I have not seen this much TV coverage of NHL hockey in my lifetime. Give the NHL credit, they are working hard to give the game a significant exposure in the US. Kudo's to the NHL!

P.S. Gotta love the mask our bud Carey Price is wearing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: Hockey Day in America

The NHL does deserve credit for what they are doing.

I know I will take a lot of heat for this, but Bettman HAS done a good job since he took over. Has he made mistakes? YES (and no Phoenix/Atlanta wasn't it, it was starting a pissing war with ESPN). But keep in mind, his employers, the OWNERS of the 30 franchises, are very happy with his overall performance for a reason.

I will follow this up with links (press me on this) but several sources have indicated that NHL franchises are the hottest commodity in all of pro sports, notwisthsanding a franchise in the Indian Premier League for cricket. The NHL is doing very well for itself, even if it doesn't show as much as we'd like (sound familiar Bruins fans?).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Agreed Steve. NBC did a bang up job today by really showcasing the game's roots. I think they tried a little too hard with the "hockey is everywhere including the Sun Belt" theme but it was a fun day of watching the league.

The NHL seems to be gaining a lot of positive momentum, and this was great proof.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And Montreal is getting their butts kicked all over MacMahon Stadium. Great day to watch hockey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The Winter Classic is very interesting, if somewhat of a novelty. The only annyoing thing is the announcers constantly complaining about the ice surface and how it endangers the players. Last I looked, hockey is at heart an outside sports and is, by its very nature, a dangerous endeavor. Suck it up...

By the way Price's mask is probably the most unique one I have ever seen. The eyes in the front are a little disturbing, however.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Agreed, but why do games at MSG look like they are being played in a smoke filled bar room?  Is the ice more gray than white, or is it the lighting?

And a perfect end to the day with the Habs getting blasted.  Couldn't ask for much more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey Day in America:
    [QUOTE]Agreed, but why do games at MSG look like they are being played in a smoke filled bar room?  Is the ice more gray than white, or is it the lighting? And a perfect end to the day with the Habs getting blasted.  Couldn't ask for much more.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!...good observation. I guess that is just the way it at good old MSG. It is their signature style...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]And Montreal is getting their butts kicked all over MacMahon Stadium. Great day to watch hockey.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    At this point in the season, a loss by Montreal is almost a full win for us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

The lighting at MSG is really poor.  It isn't distributed properly at all.  There are light spots and dark spots.  So annoying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Wish the NHL took more advantage of no NFL this time of year and did more back to back games on Sat/Sunday.  Watching that Blackhawks game was alot of fun, so many great players on the ice, fun to watch hockey on these cold winter days.  I dont know about all of you, but I'm pumped to be in full hockey swing from now until the end of the draft!  Just hope the b's are playing into June!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

The only thing I liked about the Habs today was the mask Price had. That was a pretty cool shoutout on his part.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I loved price's mask too, but its not particularly unique.  An journeyman B's goalie (cant remember which one)  did the Cheevers thing and a few others have tried to replicate vintage goalies' masks with real looking hair and ears, etc for detail.  The eyes on top were insane, though.

I do love the shout outs to the vintage goalies much better than most of the ugly designs the goalies have now.  I miss all fiberglass maks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I couldn't remember either, but it was Steve Shields:

http://www.miskadesigns.com/miska2k2/shields.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Habs should have asked the Als for advice - they always kick butt in McMahon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing I liked about the Habs today was the mask Price had. That was a pretty cool shoutout on his part.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

That mask was priceless (sorry for the pun). Loved it but it was a little bizarre to look at as well. I had to check twice to make sure he wasn't wearing a real Plante mask....lol!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was at JFK airport when the Habs and Flames started playing. Before catching my flight back home went to grab a bite at the bar of "Bonfire" (I think that's the name of the restaurant) and they had all this BS on TV. 
    I ask the bar tender if he could find the hockey game for me and he had no idea on what channel it was nor did I ,  was not sure what channel Versus was on hois dish.  3 other customers over heard (one from Virginia , Cincinnati and not sure the other) and they directed the bar tender (from New York) where to find the game.  Bar tender said he just does not follow hockey.
    I was amazed with the knowledge from those guys from non traditional hockey regions.
    Goes well with what DC was saying. Bettman has done a pretty job at marketing the league. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The thing is, ESPN is the gatekeeper for sports. By pissing off ESPN, Bettman guaranteed the NHL would be trashed and ignored. To his credit, the league has come roaring back from the lockout so much so that ESPN can no longer deny the economic benefit of carrying NHL hockey and are willing to fold to Bettman's aggressive play...at least it looks that way so far...we'll see this summer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

I Live in Jersey and this day of events even sparked 24/7/365 baseball freak Mike Francessa who knows nothing about hockey to have Bettman on his radio talk show. They took some calls and actually made it into an interesting show for a change.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

yes a great day to be a hockey fan and an american everyone. and screw you fake bruins fan ye old winesocke go ride your snowmobiler to your maple syrup cabin lol.