Hockey Equipment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hockey Equipment

All though Don Cherry hasn't ranted on this subject in awhile ( i last saw his rant in the fall time), but I agree with him with respect to the fact that something has to be done about the players shoulder and elbow pads. They are so hard now adays that they come close to being metal like. It's no wonder a player cannot sustain a hit now adays. There has to be some common ground. You can see some players use these things as weapons.  just a thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Hockey Equipment

In Response to Hockey Equipment:
    All though Don Cherry hasn't ranted on this subject in awhile ( i last saw his rant in the fall time), but I agree with him with respect to the fact that something has to be done about the players shoulder and elbow pads. They are so hard now adays that they come close to being metal like. It's no wonder a player cannot sustain a hit now adays. There has to be some common ground. You can see some players use these things as weapons.  just a thought.
    Posted by Stuke50

They have already mandated that all the exposed plastic parts be covered with a soft materiel.

And equipment is safer than it has ever been IMO.  Especially the goalie stuff.  In olden days shots hurt goalies, every one.  Now goalies rarely get hurt by shots.  Or knocked out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I've looked for that mandate and can't find it...found some other interesting tidbits..but not the equipment change, was that this season ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

The soft material covering does little to negate the fact that the players are basically wearing armor these days. The highly protective gear we use is a double edge sword. While it affords greater protection it also can inflict more damage (I'm referring to shoulder and elbow armor here) on an opposing player. The guy initiating the hit has the advantage when he lowers his shoulder into another guy. While the guy getting hit may have the same armor, it will do nothing to keep his shoulder firmly in it's socket. I think the armor allows guys to hit harder and at greater speed than in the old days.
    The goalie gear is a whole other matter. It isn't physically harmful to opposing players. That is, unless the goalie whaps you upside the head with his blocker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey Equipment:
    The soft material covering does little to negate the fact that the players are basically wearing armor these days. The highly protective gear we use is a double edge sword. While it affords greater protection it also can inflict more damage (I'm referring to shoulder and elbow armor here) on an opposing player. The guy initiating the hit has the advantage when he lowers his shoulder into another guy. While the guy getting hit may have the same armor, it will do nothing to keep his shoulder firmly in it's socket. I think the armor allows guys to hit harder and at greater speed than in the old days. The goalie gear is a whole other matter. It isn't physically harmful to opposing players. That is, unless the goalie whaps you upside the head with his blocker.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

I play and have played for a billion years, I'm am no more or less willing to block shots now as opposed to yesteryear with th exception of my skates, olden days a shot to the foot would break something for sure.

The old or new equipment has no bearing on any hitting I might do or have done.  I can't imagine deciding you can use your equipment as a weapon.

The only thing that might make you decide that you are invincible is a cage, a shot to the face is something you  notice, but isn't that significant with a cage on whereas a punch to the face without a cage really gets your attention.

It is way lighter and doesn't weigh a million pounds when it gets wet, so that aspect of it is true, if you can skate faster the impact will be that much greater.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey Equipment : I play and have played for a billion years, I'm am no more or less willing to block shots now as opposed to yesteryear with th exception of my skates, olden days a shot to the foot would break something for sure. The old or new equipment has no bearing on any hitting I might do or have done.  I can't imagine deciding you can use your equipment as a weapon. The only thing that might make you decide that you are invincible is a cage, a shot to the face is something you  notice, but isn't that significant with a cage on whereas a punch to the face without a cage really gets your attention. It is way lighter and doesn't weigh a million pounds when it gets wet, so that aspect of it is true, if you can skate faster the impact will be that much greater.
    Posted by BadHabitude

And I should add, blocking NHL shots would be entirely different, I'm sure their shots could get through as the harder shooters in my beer league can get through.

And about the cages, I know of no NHL players that regularly wears one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey Equipment : I play and have played for a billion years, I'm am no more or less willing to block shots now as opposed to yesteryear with th exception of my skates, olden days a shot to the foot would break something for sure. The old or new equipment has no bearing on any hitting I might do or have done.  I can't imagine deciding you can use your equipment as a weapon. The only thing that might make you decide that you are invincible is a cage, a shot to the face is something you  notice, but isn't that significant with a cage on whereas a punch to the face without a cage really gets your attention. It is way lighter and doesn't weigh a million pounds when it gets wet, so that aspect of it is true, if you can skate faster the impact will be that much greater.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Badhab your clearly older than I am. Because the last set of shoulder/elbow pads I picked out for Juniors were the most weaponlike pads I could find and thats why I got them. Being a slightly undersized DMAN I felt that the extra Bubble of plastic that viciously extended off my elbow pads and top of my shoulder pads would help me with the larger forwards in the corners.

That year I dished out 2 concussions (Something I had never done before) I could really tell the difference in "POP" between the pads. You could hear my hits in the top row of the stands because they were practically football pads.

Over the last 10 or so years I have def seen the "weaponization" of pads. I find it interesting that the amount of Shoulder/Chest/Elbow/Arm injuries has barely declined while the # of concussions has shot way up over this period. Maybe its time to mandate the soft pads again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey Equipment : Badhab your clearly older than I am. Because the last set of shoulder/elbow pads I picked out for Juniors were the most weaponlike pads I could find and thats why I got them. Being a slightly undersized DMAN I felt that the extra Bubble of plastic that viciously extended off my elbow pads and top of my shoulder pads would help me with the larger forwards in the corners. That year I dished out 2 concussions (Something I had never done before) I could really tell the difference in "POP" between the pads. You could hear my hits in the top row of the stands because they were practically football pads. Over the last 10 or so years I have def seen the "weaponization" of pads. I find it interesting that the amount of Shoulder/Chest/Elbow/Arm injuries has barely declined while the # of concussions has shot way up over this period. Maybe its time to mandate the soft pads again.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

OK, so I wonder if it is really the confidence you get from your pads that get you in the mode of head hunting?

So its not so much the pads themselves, but the way they look?

In my time in h.s. hockey 3 piece helmets were legal and you only had to wear a mouthpiece, which people didn't wear because they complained about breathing or I boiled mine until it was nothing.

There was a picture on the coach's door that reminded you to wear your mouth piece, I think it was from football, it was someone's mouth who had taken an elbow, it looked like a canon shot hit the guy, all you could see was meat and teeth.  And that was a non padded or minimally padded elbow - I don't believe they had 'hard' elbow pads in football then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

www.hockeygiant.com/eas10s13spsr.html">Just look at this! These pads are bigger than what we wore during high school football when I was a kid! lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Well, I still have the ole CCM Butch Goring style helmet, but before Butch was in the league. NOT LEAGAL now. I also have my ole wired catchers mask that I would use  in pee wee's when I played goalie. Suffice to say I don't know modern equipment and I lean back on a Coach's Corner segment last fall, were Don shows the sytle of shoulder / chest protector, that Walk the Line has shown. Plus a pair of the elbow pads. Nasty stuff. I just know that a player who gets dinged up side the head with some of this style of equipment will feel it.

Sections
Shortcuts