Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League

Obviously hockey isn't as popular in the southern states as it is in the northern parts of the U.S., and all of Canada. Good to see some of these southern teams having successful years. Sure their fanbases aren't large, and having them move on to the semifinals will hurt the NHL tv rating wise, but this seems like a great chance for hockey to grow in the South.

Fan bases start and grow when teams are winning. Never understood what people have against "bandwagon" fans. Sure some of them may hop off the wagon when the team starts to decline, but some start watching when their team is good and end up getting attatched, and become lifelong fans.

Now that Nashville, St. Louis, and Pheonix are moving to the Semi's, hopefully this can be the beginning of teams in the south building up larger fan bases. 

This series can be good and bad for the League. They can gain fans of the league with southern teams doing well in the playoffs, but as for TV-ratings Phoenix-Nashville will be pretty low.
    Also.. Is Pheonix officially moving to Quebec City?.. or is this just a rumor?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League

I agree, and Nashville already has a hardcore fan base and Blues fans are as diehard as the Flames or Sens (45 years now of the Blues), but it may be too little too late for Phoenix.

The move to QC, or anywhere else, is just a rumour, but they have no deal in place yet to keep them there and will be ownerless in two months. They're in tough. If they get the Cup, maybe they stay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League

The Nashville fan base is centered around former employees of Northern Telecon, now bankrupt. Many moved from Canada when The Nortel business unit was headquartered in Nashville.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Good for them, but I really think there are too many teams and not enough talent to go around. Just look at the leafs and habs for proof. 

I am one that prefers the less is more concept. Watered down product does nothing for the game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League:
    Good for them, but I really think there are too many teams and not enough talent to go around. Just look at the leafs and habs for proof.  I am one that prefers the less is more concept. Watered down product does nothing for the game. 
    Posted by perrysound

Agreed Perry. Everytime they added a new team, they added 23 guys that weren't good enough to play in the NHL the year before.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

But Dez and Perry, players come from all over the world now.  Compare that to a 21 team league we had in the late 70's and early 80's with mostly Canadian players.  I think the talent level is better now than it was back then.  That is one of the reasons there is so much parity today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League:
    But Dez and Perry, players come from all over the world now.  Compare that to a 21 team league we had in the late 70's and early 80's with mostly Canadian players.  I think the talent level is better now than it was back then.  That is one of the reasons there is so much parity today.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

The premise still holds true though. It doesn't matter where the players come from as long as they're the best available. If 2 teams got contracted then there'd be 46 guys lose their jobs and I'd like to think it'd be the bottom 46 that aren't hired back. That would have to improve the overall talent base wouldn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League : The premise still holds true though. It doesn't matter where the players come from as long as they're the best available. If 2 teams got contracted then there'd be 46 guys lose their jobs and I'd like to think it'd be the bottom 46 that aren't hired back. That would have to improve the overall talent base wouldn't it?
    Posted by dezaruchi

yeah, I hope that's the way it would work.  However, I think the skating clowns would stick around and the Pailles and Carons of the league would be playing in the A.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League : yeah, I hope that's the way it would work.  However, I think the skating clowns would stick around and the Pailles and Carons of the league would be playing in the A.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Sadly, I think you're exactly right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Good to see the Blues win a round. They played the B's in the 1970 cup finals and were overmatched and swept in four.Nashville ok but Phoenix is moving anyway.
    The NHL can't get interest in hockey where there is no interest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Good to see the Blues win a round. They played the B's in the 1970 cup finals and were overmatched and swept in four.Nashville ok but Phoenix is moving anyway. The NHL can't get interest in hockey where there is no interest.
    Posted by Canadianfan6

I used to think this way before I saw Zac Larraza get drafted last year.  An athlete born and raised in Arizona choosing hockey as his sport and getting drafted wouldn't have happened if the Pheonix Coyotes had never existed.  He was 3 years old when the Yotes moved there.  He's never known Pheonix without an NHL team.

It takes more than a few years, it takes a generation to see the results of having the NHL in the South.  The more athletes we have choosing hockey as their sport, the better it is for the game.  What if Tom Brady had chosen to play hockey instead of football.  Who knows, the next Gretzky might come from Texas or Florida.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League : I used to think this way before I saw Zac Larraza get drafted last year.  An athlete born and raised in Arizona choosing hockey as his sport and getting drafted wouldn't have happened if the Pheonix Coyotes had never existed.  He was 3 years old when the Yotes moved there.  He's never known Pheonix without an NHL team. It takes more than a few years, it takes a generation to see the results of having the NHL in the South.  The more athletes we have choosing hockey as their sport, the better it is for the game.  What if Tom Brady had chosen to play hockey instead of football.  Who knows, the next Gretzky might come from Texas or Florida.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

From Jacksonville........
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brian_ferlin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Thanks Dez, I don't spend too much time following prospects and juniors (I just don't have the time and don't understand where you guys find the time).  I watched a story on Larraza on NHL Network prior to last year's draft.  I didn't know we had our own southern prospect.  I doubt he would have played hockey if not for the Lightning and/or the Panthers.

I used to be opposed to NHL expansion in the South thinking it was useless.  I did a complete 180 last year and think it is better for the sport overall.  Just look at the number of NHL players from New England now compared to 30 years ago.  That is a direct result from the Bruins popularity of the 70's.  If ever those southern teams can start winning consistently and grow in popularity, I'm convinced we will see a bunch of NHL players coming from those states.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thanks Dez, I don't spend too much time following prospects and juniors (I just don't have the time and don't understand where you guys find the time).  I watched a story on Larraza on NHL Network prior to last year's draft.  I didn't know we had our own southern prospect.  I doubt he would have played hockey if not for the Lightning and/or the Panthers. I used to be opposed to NHL expansion in the South thinking it was useless.  I did a complete 180 last year and think it is better for the sport overall.  Just look at the number of NHL players from New England now compared to 30 years ago.  That is a direct result from the Bruins popularity of the 70's.  If ever those southern teams can start winning consistently and grow in popularity, I'm convinced we will see a bunch of NHL players coming from those states.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Like it or not, the Mighty Ducks were great for hockey. I used to work alot of hockey schools throughout the States and you wouldn't believe how many kids told me that movie was the reason they became hockey players. Hey, whatever it takes I suppose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League : Like it or not, the Mighty Ducks were great for hockey. I used to work alot of hockey schools throughout the States and you wouldn't believe how many kids told me that movie was the reason they became hockey players. Hey, whatever it takes I suppose.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I think Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Dallas, Nashville, Carolina, and Tampa have all been beneficial to the game of hocky - reasonably succeessful both on and off the ice and have encouraged a lot of young players to take up the sport.

It's the Panthers and Coyotes that drive me loopy - odds are there wouldn't be players coming up like Ferlin and Larraza without them, but off the ice they're an embarassment to the league as business operations and are a financial drain on the rest of the clubs. I'm torn on those two clubs. I'd love to see them succceed and continue to help grow the sport, I just can't see it happening long term.

Still, it's possible the second round could have as many as six teams from the southern half of the States, and that can't be anything but good news for the growth of the sport.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

When a team in a traditional hockey market gets dragged down by awful management, the team can survive because of history, love for the game, location. When a team from a nontraditional market stinks up the joint, that buffer doesn't exist and fans stay away.

Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, LA, San Jose, Anaheim....all have enjoyed some level of success backed by solid management.

Florida's management is a joke, which is why any little success they enjoyed was completely washed away in the years to follow. Same with Atlanta. Same with Phoenix.

Let's not make this a North/South issue. Florida and Phoenix have a lot more going against them than geography. Ship them out! Let both Seattle and PQ have their teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

When a team in a traditional hockey market gets dragged down by awful management, the team can survive because of history, love for the game, location. When a team from a nontraditional market stinks up the joint, that buffer doesn't exist and fans stay away. Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, LA, San Jose, Anaheim....all have enjoyed some level of success backed by solid management. Florida's management is a joke, which is why any little success they enjoyed was completely washed away in the years to follow. Same with Atlanta. Same with Phoenix. Let's not make this a North/South issue. Florida and Phoenix have a lot more going against them than geography. Ship them out! Let both Seattle and PQ have their teams.
    Posted by asmaha
    Are you talking about the Leafs ?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It absolutley does come down to building a talent pool of young kids south of the Northeast and Upper Midwest.  There ARE leagues in Texas and Florida for teens.  It's just an expensive proposition to build and maintain an ice rink and the equipment needed.  That's been the uphill battle. The other step is to get som of the US youngsters playing with their Canadian counterparts for camps or summer leagues to really know the competition level. An irony?  More US kids are playing soccer in HS than any other sport and the MLS can't crack .0000001 in TV ratings.  Go figure...
    Posted by ipot

Same thing north of the border. By far and away more kids play soccer in Canada than play hockey (the only reason hockey enrolment numbers haven't cratered is that while boys have stopped playing the game as much, girls participation in hockey is at record levels.).

Only difference is that the WhiteCaps, TFC and Impact are all starting to build a TV following.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It absolutley does come down to building a talent pool of young kids south of the Northeast and Upper Midwest.  There ARE leagues in Texas and Florida for teens.  It's just an expensive proposition to build and maintain an ice rink and the equipment needed.  That's been the uphill battle. The other step is to get som of the US youngsters playing with their Canadian counterparts for camps or summer leagues to really know the competition level. An irony?  More US kids are playing soccer in HS than any other sport and the MLS can't crack .0000001 in TV ratings.  Go figure...
    Posted by ipot

Kids play soccer because it's inexpensive, not because it's exciting to watch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

St. Louis fans have been there a very long time and are loyal. The Blues are coming out of the west no doubt in my mind. When Florida and Tampa have good ownership they both flourish.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

St. Louis fans have been there a very long time and are loyal. The Blues are coming out of the west no doubt in my mind. When Florida and Tampa have good ownership they both flourish.   
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The Plager brothers,Bob Gasoff and Red Berenson baby!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

The Kings and Preds are no joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

i like Blues coming out of West too. i was at the B's game in St.Louis in Feb and really had a nice time. i walked around the arena with B's garb on and did not have one negative response.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey in the South; Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix move on. Good for the League : The Kings and Preds are no joke. Posted by dezaruchi

i just don't think anyone can keep up the Blues speed.

Sections
Shortcuts