Hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hockey

It's a great game.  It's fun to play and it's fun to watch. 

Last night, the B's played poorly and they lost (effectively tied with Toronto getting an extra entertainment point).

The world is not coming to an end.  Every player on the team doesn't stink.  No one needs to be traded because of this game.  No one needs to be fired because of this game.  It happens.  They aren't going to win all 82 and they aren't going to play mistake free hockey every second of every game all season long.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Hockey

Great "Headline."

The point of divergence is right after the word "poorly".  If you can work a word meaning excrement in there, all the better.  The Bruins have now slipped into that category of teams that play to the level of their opposition - or the expected level of.  Who have they really stunk against?  Atlanta (better this year, but bottom feeder last year) Tampa Bay (and they learned their lesson...), Florida.  They've played their best hockey - they've woken up - against Phoenix, Washington, Philadelphia.  Tricky place to be as a team - it means complacent in a way.

But you know the old saying about a man with a hammer.  Complex problems like the psychology of players - especially as a group - don't get solved with heavy, blunt solutions like dumping a player or changing the coach.  I noticed against Tampa Bay they were using a different entry into the offensive zone and it was working.  That's a more subtle way to get results by making the players wake up and pay attention to a new way of gettting results without changing the entire system. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Sorry Bookboy, but the way the 6-8 seeds seem to get decided on the last day of the regular season, I consider 2 points in early December to be very important.
    You blow enough points early in the year, those points you get in March may be of no use.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey :    That is what most of us are saying. Would you rather we talked about it after an 8-1 victory (another game they were outshot in)? 
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

Shots don't matter that much.  See here.  In the NHL the team that shoots less wins about 55% of the time.  That is due to differences in hockey strategy with and without the lead.  The Bruins have the lead more often than not.  I'm not even going to bother with high/low pct. shots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I disagree. For many reasons. This team is missing something. We have all seen it for the past 2 yrs in the playoffs. Is it the coach ? Is it a defining player, one who will gel this team ? I don't know. This team has many good parts. But also some not so good parts. Which parts do you replace ? That's the trouble. You can pick this team apart after every game and point fingers. The ability to put more than 2 games of good hockey seems unreachable for this club. We all see brillant flashes but nothing that continues into anything. It seems the teams that are in the elite in this league, have the ability to put winning streaks together, lose some, and then gel again. It would be wonderful to see some of this from the Bruins. If it takes someone to get fired or traded, so be it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I know what you're getting at biggs, nite, and you're right to a degree, but you'll notice I said it's meaningless unless a lot of other things go wrong?  The Flyers and Rangers were in that position because they dug themselves deep holes in the standings.  The Flyers were below the Laffs and Oilers around this time last year.  When you're out of the top eight, yes, you cannot afford to waste points.  Same with the Bruins getting ousted by tie-breakers.  That was a bad team.  My premise is based on the fact that the Bruins, despite their lazy-faire attitude over the last month or so, are still 5 points up on 9th place Ottawa.  That and the belief that if they play to their talent level, they are a contender with top goaltending, three very good centres, more talent on the wings than in the last few years, and decent defense by committee.  Staying in the top eight shouldn't be enough of an issue that we're calling up comparisons to teams that either played to their potential and still missed the playoffs or teams that dug deep deep holes.

On the other hand, the Flyers are a great example for my side of the argument.  They got in on the last day.  They went on a run throught the playoffs.  They played for the Cup.  All of those meaningless losses in late fall meant nothing by then.

The Oiler and Islander were both notorioius for not putting the pedal down for the full regular season.  They knew they were good enough t make the dance, and they knew their best chance of winning the Cup lay in having the energy reserves at the right time.  9 times out of 11, they were right. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

BB the Oilers and Islanders coasted after winning the Cup(s).  Hardly a good comparison to the Bs team, as presently constructed.  The Bs have not been past the second round of the playofs.  The Bs are a young team, the new players are learning the CJ system.  The centers are healthy for the first time in recent memory.  Thus, No nights off in December unders those circumstances for the Bs! Thomas is saving their butts. Time to gel is now for a young team.  "The floating Bs" is not the new motto even for the parity driven NHL regular season.  

Lastly, Philly is a good comparison but it does not support your argument.  There core of forwards were more skilled than the Bs.  Their defense although suspect at the beginning of the playoffs last year had Chris Pronger who has a Stanley Cup ring.  If they were not playing well last year in December it was not as if there was doubt on their ability and skill. The Emery experiment failed and they were able to find a functional goalie to compete.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't know what team some of you are watching, but this Bruins team is very, very good.  The best defensively and better than most offensively.  They have shown already that they can handle good teams.  Two very solid wins this week and then a tie.  The Leafs were really givin' er Saturday night too, after a humiliating loss and a closed-door meeting with the Assistant G.M.  They played above themselves and were still only able to tie the Bruins on week night.  Regardless of standings, their goals for/against is excellent with only Philly comparable in the conference.  I expect a slow, steady climb upward as the season settles out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]the always have excuses! they never have sucess!! a failed franchise under a failure of an owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by TheRealHomer[/QUOTE]

The owner has absolutely no bearing on the above conversation.  I am sure if you go back into the archives like 2003 you will find plenty.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This post has brought out some of the better comments and opportunities to agree or disagree in a reasonable fashion. IMO, and mine alone, this team has some excellent talent and some mediocre players. I loved the comment where Sinden told Pat Burns that most teams have a structured defense, but Pat's was 0 and 5back. That seems to track with Claude's perspective, but I don't remember thinking defense first on Pat's teams, might be because of a foggy memory. Pat's teams were agressive, Claude's team seems to be restricted and hesitant. On Pat's team the Bruins did not need a Sean Thornton because everyone reacted when necessary. In Toronto Horton had a tremendous first period, and then looked like he was in a harness for the rest of the game. Bergie was consistent, but with Recchi and Wheeler, Bergie has to focus too much on defense. That doesn't mean I would change the lines, but, I would prefer to see Caron with Bergie, and Recchi replacing Thornton. With shorter shifts Recchi's lack of speed would not be as noticeable and he would be more rested for PP duty. There needs to be some adjustments on defense as Stuart, Ference, Boychuck and even Seidenberg all appear to be 3rd line quality who are confused with faster opponents.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I know what you're getting at biggs, nite, and you're right to a degree, but you'll notice I said it's meaningless unless a lot of other things go wrong?  The Flyers and Rangers were in that position because they dug themselves deep holes in the standings.  The Flyers were below the Laffs and Oilers around this time last year.  When you're out of the top eight, yes, you cannot afford to waste points.  Same with the Bruins getting ousted by tie-breakers.  That was a bad team.  My premise is based on the fact that the Bruins, despite their lazy-faire attitude over the last month or so, are still 5 points up on 9th place Ottawa.  That and the belief that if they play to their talent level, they are a contender with top goaltending, three very good centres, more talent on the wings than in the last few years, and decent defense by committee.  Staying in the top eight shouldn't be enough of an issue that we're calling up comparisons to teams that either played to their potential and still missed the playoffs or teams that dug deep deep holes. On the other hand, the Flyers are a great example for my side of the argument.  They got in on the last day.  They went on a run throught the playoffs.  They played for the Cup.  All of those meaningless losses in late fall meant nothing by then. The Oiler and Islander were both notorioius for not putting the pedal down for the full regular season.  They knew they were good enough t make the dance, and they knew their best chance of winning the Cup lay in having the energy reserves at the right time.  9 times out of 11, they were right. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Ok Book? I understand what you're saying better. Where do you draw the line though? When do you say "enough is enough" with this & make the necessary adjustements. I gues my question to you is; When do you hit the panic button? If not Dec, when? Do you wait until TT is exhausted from the quality scoring chances they give up. Do you wait until Rask loses all his confidence because he can't get any wins because of the lack of goal support? Do you wait until we lose Lucic, Bergy or Horton to injury all at once? I'm not being condecending to you. If I'm coming across that way I apologize, but I'm just throwing things out there as timeline for things to change.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll agree with the gist that, yeah, they lost the game...to a desperate team that badly needed the win. No sense in getting our collective panties into a twist.

They lost the game...but they don't have to fire Claude, trade Thomas, or demote Ryder because they did. Two points would have been nice, but you take the one and move on to the Buffalo game.

They didn't play great but the sky is not falling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I'll agree with the gist that, yeah, they lost the game...to a desperate team that badly needed the win. No sense in getting our collective panties into a twist. They lost the game...but they don't have to fire Claude, trade Thomas, or demote Ryder because they did. Two points would have been nice, but you take the one and move on to the Buffalo game. They didn't play great but the sky is not falling.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Exactly , of course i'd like the B's to give the effort the Detroit Redwings give each and every night but to use an old proverb " its not how you start but how you finish ".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey : Exactly , of course i'd like the B's to give the effort the Detroit Redwings give each and every night but to use an old proverb " its not how you start but how you finish ".
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    Very few teams statistically would take 6 out of 6 points when playing 3 games in 4 nights(2 on the road).Boston took 5 out of 6 possible points  but a bunch of experts here think the sky is falling and that the schedule has no bearing (because they played 5 games in one weekend in pee-wee).Great week overall by the Bruins and I would take this outcome every week if they could manage it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey : Very few teams statistically would take 6 out of 6 points when playing 3 games in 4 nights(2 on the road).Boston took 5 out of 6 possible points  but a bunch of experts here think the sky is falling and that the schedule has no bearing (because they played 5 games in one weekend in pee-wee).Great week overall by the Bruins and I would take this outcome every week if they could manage it.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez, thank you for some perspective.

I've been a passionate Bruins fan for all of my 35 years, and yes this team can be frustrating, and yes I want to see them win the cup, and yes they have dissappointed me at times. But in terms of keeping me engaged in this great sport that I grew up on shinny rinks playing - at a time  when girls were supposed to wear figure skates and were ridiculed for wearing hockey skates - and keeping me passionate about the game, I could have made worse choices than cheering for the Bruins. Only a handful of times in those 35 years have they not been in the playoffs (5). Yes this year's edition needs more consistancy, but i get so frustrated at all these the-sky-is-falling posts - In my family myself and two of my brothers are Bruins fans, another brother is a Habs fan (don't ask), my folks cheer for the Blues (they grew up with Glenn Hall and have cheered for them since expansion), my sister roots for the Coyotes (a holdover from the Jets), and my nephews cheer for the Leafs (even though we tried to talk them out of it). Only one of those teams has won a cup in my lifetime, and only one other, the B's, has even been to the cup in that time. I'm a lot happier about the Bruins than any of my family (except the damn Habs fan) are about their teams. Yes, I want to see Chara lift Lord Stanley's Cup, but I try to keep some perspective when cheering for them. There is something to be said for, as a fan, just enjoying the sport of hockey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey : Dez, thank you for some perspective. I've been a passionate Bruins fan for all of my 35 years, and yes this team can be frustrating, and yes I want to see them win the cup, and yes they have dissappointed me at times. But in terms of keeping me engaged in this great sport that I grew up on shinny rinks playing - at a time  when girls were supposed to wear figure skates and were ridiculed for wearing hockey skates - and keeping me passionate about the game, I could have made worse choices than cheering for the Bruins. Only a handful of times in those 35 years have they not been in the playoffs (5). Yes this year's edition needs more consistancy, but i get so frustrated at all these the-sky-is-falling posts - In my family myself and two of my brothers are Bruins fans, another brother is a Habs fan (don't ask), my folks cheer for the Blues (they grew up with Glenn Hall and have cheered for them since expansion), my sister roots for the Coyotes (a holdover from the Jets), and my nephews cheer for the Leafs (even though we tried to talk them out of it). Only one of those teams has won a cup in my lifetime, and only one other, the B's, has even been to the cup in that time. I'm a lot happier about the Bruins than any of my family (except the damn Habs fan) are about their teams. Yes, I want to see Chara lift Lord Stanley's Cup, but I try to keep some perspective when cheering for them. There is something to be said for, as a fan, just enjoying the sport of hockey.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE.
    That's what it truly comes down to.Realizing you can't win every night and just enjoying the game for what it is.Great to hear about such a passionate hockey family.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Those factors are nice and all, but how about the fact they had two huge emotional games back to back in Philly, then at home against teams far better than the Leafs? Philly is a bruising, physical team that at the time was leading the NHL in goals scored. Tampa has St Louis and Stamkos, the last time they faced either team they got spanked, this time back to back, hundreds of miles apart and in about 24 hours time they ran over both teams. 3-0 and 8-1 wins against teams ahead of you in the standings make it damn hard to get a jump in your game for a team destined for the lottery.

[QUOTE]I don't totally agree nas. If they were playing nashville, maybe, but these are the Leafs and theea are a couple more factors in this one, divisional game, rival game, the kessel game, the Seguin return to tor (same for Savy), we have thier 1st pick and you know they will bring it due to their slump. We need to have a better effort against this team regardless of month! this was a very dissapointing loss! Now your not going to see me posting "Fire CJ" & "Trade Savy and Krejci" but this is not just a "whatever" loss, something needs to be done, the team (minus TT) was not prepared! 
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]