Homophobic Slur Garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Homophobic Slur Garbage

Simply put, I have been watching NHL hockey for close to 40 years and, like many posters here, love the game when played with heart and passion. With that said, I am growing increasingly tired with the pussification of this great game. Instigator rules, not letting the players police themselves, ridiculous guaranteed contracts blah blah blah, And now comes along the newest hot button topic: NO HOMOPHOBIC SLURS !!! Are you kidding me? This is NHL hockey we are talking about and as far as I'm concerned if you are offended/hurt/upset about something that is said on ice you are playing the wrong game. TSN.ca has an article today about the Simmonds incident where GLAAD acting president Mike Thompson states the word Simmonds used creates a "climate of intolerance and hostility". You're damn right Mike !!! Like it or not, most NHL fans love some hostility in their game. Dont like it ? Stay away from the game Mike !! Here is the link , by the way -
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376851.

This sort of talk has been going on in this league since it started and I see no reason for things to change just because, god forbid, someone is offended and has their feathers ruffled. If you dont think this stuff is common in NHL rinks then watch the following clip. Do you think Brian Bellows made a big deal out of this ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEvfoZqKl0

Hockey does not need to mirror society. Let's put things in its proper context and realize that certain things will be said and done in the heat of the moment when emotional, competitive, aggressive athletes do battle on the ice/on the field......etc,etc.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage

simply put...it's obvious you are a straight white male of christian faith. i hope you don't have children.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage:
    simply put...it's obvious you are a straight white male of christian faith. i hope you don't have children.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

ADK, I don't want to condone any homophobic behaviour but I sure hope Avery isn't going to run to the league everytime someone calls him a fruit. That said, I agree with you that the OP hasn't exactly got a grasp on the importance of tolerance and respect amongst the players (and folks in general).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

Straight,white and Christian - YES. I also have a 9 year old and I preach tolerance, compassion and kindness to my son.
    Let me be clear: I do not condone the use of slurs of any kind in hockey or outside the rink. I also understand that in the context of professional sports this type of language/behavior is likely common. This does not make it right, of course, but it is part of the culture of pro sports. Once again. IT IS NOT RIGHT but, it is also REALITY. Take a look at Wayne Gretzky's autobiography and you will see a section where he talks about a young man with Downes Syndrome (an equipment boy) who worked for the Oilers in the 80's. Players on the team would call this kid every name in the book on a daily basis. His rationale was that if this poor kid could take the abuse given to him by a group of hockey players he would be able to handle anything that was said to him by anyone throughout his life. Was that the right thing to do ? Probably not, but the message was that. Fact: people will be mean and say things to you that you don't like. You can't control what people say but, you can certainly control what you do when people say it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Unfortunately in the world of hockey things like what Simmonds said is used all the time.

Last night ex-NHLer Aaron Ward of TSN said that if you took a poll of players 100 % of them would say that they've said something along those lines also on the ice. Mike Johnson also an ex-NHL player nodded in agreement.

It happens all the time and just doesn't get publicized. Until now. Non issue in my opinion. Boys will be boys trying to show who has the biggest bal.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

sigh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Unfortunately in the world of hockey things like what Simmonds said is used all the time. Last night ex-NHLer Aaron Ward of TSN said that if you took a poll of players 100 % of them would say that they've said something along those lines also on the ice. Mike Johnson also an ex-NHL player nodded in agreement. It happens all the time and just doesn't get publicized. Until now. Non issue in my opinion. Boys will be boys trying to show who has the biggest bal.....
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Chowdahkid - Exactly !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

what a sad commentary on our society. that might be YOUR reality, but it's certainly not mine. i teach in a school, and observed a student mocking the special education students walking to lunch. i nearly lost my cool and my job in an effort to show this dispicable teenager(senior) the error of his ways. the fact that you find it OK for ADULTS, and even gretzky to behave in this way is incomprehensible. shame on gretzky for ALLOWING this behavior on his team. if he speaks up against these belittling behaviors towards the less-fortunate, it would have ended. period. children emulate the actions of their elders and like it or not sports heroes. the world does not exist in a vacuum. these things are not mutually exclusive.  to say there is a right time and place for bigoted, and hateful behavior is sending the wrong message. seeing as how i was spot on with my previous post, it's no wonder you can't understand how hurtful these hateful actions/words can be to those UNLIKE YOU. you know gays, non-whites, women, muslims, handicapped...just to name a few. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

As we've seen many times, players will do almost anything to try to get their opposition "of his game".  If he's thinking about the slur that was used against him on the last shift, maybe he won't be concentrating on his positional responsibilities next shift.  Or maybe he'll do something stupid to try to get back at the guy who made the slur.  That's the thinking behind "yappers" saying whatever they please to rattle the guy.

Is it acceptable in "normal society"? No.

Is it a part of professional sports? You bet.  If it's bad in hockey, I can only imagine the things said in football, where the fans are a long ways from the players, and facemasks and mouthguards often obscure attempts at lip-reading.

I'm not sold on the concept that "sports should reflect society". It's clear that we tolerate actions on the ice/field that are illegal elsewhere -- that's a given.  Does that also extend to speech?  I'm not sure.  I'm all for holding athletes to the same standards (and perhaps, a higher one, given the "role model" status) off the ice/field;  but we also realize that players have a role to play on their teams, which may, at times, stretch the behavioural norms which we set.  I've often heard that 'enforcers' are often the most generous, warm-hearted guys on the team.  To me, it's a bit (though not 100%) like an actor playing a role -- it's just what he does for a living, so even though Steve Buschemi has played a lot of slimy characters, I'm not going to think that he's actually like Carl Showalter from "Fargo".

Now, a fan throwing a banana on the ice -- that's another thing altogether.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If I had a dollar for every time I've been called a dy.ke while on the ice, I'd have paid off my mortgage by now. Am I cool with it? Not really, but that's what elbows are for. Leave it on the ice, preferably with a little blood mixed in.

That said, I don't need straight white guys to lecture me on what does and does not constitute offensive acts of discrimination. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

If I had a dollar for every time I've been called a dy.ke while on the ice, I'd have paid off my mortgage by now. Am I cool with it? Not really, but that's what elbows are for. Leave it on the ice, preferably with a little blood mixed in. That said, I don't need straight white guys to lecture me on what does and does not constitute offensive acts of discrimination. 
    Posted by red75

If this keeps up you'll have no use for us at all.........Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Happens in every game, and now we have Sean Avery crying foul. Sean Avery!...People say stupid things, that happens every day in every walk of life. At the end of the day, who cares what some people say?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

No doubt that is one of the most frequent insults hurled on the ice, even in my men's league where people should have grown up a bit.  I've said it myself in my long past of checkered conduct.

Avery's indignation seems a little fake as this is so shockingly common...but...

...it still doesn't make it okay?  I am all for people having to pay the consequences for what they say, even if it is accepted by the surrounding fraternity.  I think there is some validity to the irony of it happening to a minority player, as Simmonds knows that the collective shoulder shrug of the majority is not the best way to guage fairness and what is just.  'Other people do it' has never been a good excuse for anything.

So, Simmonds is being called out for something most players probably have done, but he should take the opportunity to say "yeah, I shouldn't have said that".  That's the only way things change.

As for the OP, it is ignorant to equate a slur about someone's race, religion or sexual preference as something having to do with toughness.  Keeping slurs in the game does not protect the toughness that you yearn for.  You could just as easily be arguing that throwing banana peels at Simmonds is somehow part of the toughness of the game.  It isn't.  Treating people equally is not 'pussification".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'm done with this thread... i wasn't aware that the fact that "it's done in every game"- makes these actions excusable. it all starts with you the individual, and letting the world know it's not OK. turning a blind eye to it because "it happens in every game"- is condoning the behavior. keep the elbows flyin' red.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If this keeps up you'll have no use for us at all.........
    Posted by dezaruchi

well, the world will always need accountants. (see, I can do stereotypes too.)

but to the story, am I the only one who finds it more than just a little ironic that this slur was said by Simmonds of all people? Like two days after someone threw a banana at him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : well, the world will always need accountants. but to the story, am I the only one who finds it more than just a little ironic that this slur was said by Simmonds of all people? Like two days after someone threw a banana at him?
    Posted by red75

No Red, that was the 1st thought that crossed my mind also. It reminded me of the time Chris Simon was accused of using a racial slur.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : well, the world will always need accountants. (see, I can do stereotypes too.) but to the story, am I the only one who finds it more than just a little ironic that this slur was said by Simmonds of all people? Like two days after someone threw a banana at him?
    Posted by red75

No.  see above.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like this.  Is it right? No. But it makes me want to vomit hearing Sean Avery sook about it.  He is as low as they come. I also doubt he was actually offended by the comment and is just trying to make a scene.  I find it is almost insulting to anyone who actually was a victim of discrimination. I also don't like any inference that Simmons is hypocritical.  He didn't throw the banana and didn't really say much about the incident after it happened.  This is just typical Avery, he has no place in the game.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been called a dy.ke while on the ice, I'd have paid off my mortgage by now. Am I cool with it? Not really, but that's what elbows are for. Leave it on the ice, preferably with a little blood mixed in. That said, I don't need straight white guys to lecture me on what does and does not constitute offensive acts of discrimination. 
    Posted by red75

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah Fletch, I was typing my post while you put yours up. It just makes me shake my head.

As a somewhat related side, I was reading an article about Leo Durocher yesterday and his great quote about Jackie Robinson

"I do not care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a f***in' zebra. I'm the manager of this team, and I say he plays. What's more, I say he can make us all rich. And if any of you cannot use the money, I will see that you are all traded."

I think that's sort of what you'd need to quell this on the ice - one guy to come out while he's still playing, and for a coach/gm to stand with him come hell or high water.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I like this.  Is it right? No. But it makes me want to vomit hearing Sean Avery sook about it.  He is as low as they come. I also doubt he was actually offended by the comment and is just trying to make a scene.  I find it is almost insulting to anyone who actually was a victim of discrimination. I also don't like any inference that Simmons is hypocritical.  He didn't throw the banana and didn't really say much about the incident after it happened.  This is just typical Avery, he has no place in the game. In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage :
    Posted by OatesCam

I don't think he was hypocritical. I just find it funny in an odd way whenever someone who is the victim of discrimination also perpetuates it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I like this.  Is it right? No. But it makes me want to vomit hearing Sean Avery sook about it.  He is as low as they come. I also doubt he was actually offended by the comment and is just trying to make a scene.  I find it is almost insulting to anyone who actually was a victim of discrimination. I also don't like any inference that Simmons is hypocritical.  He didn't throw the banana and didn't really say much about the incident after it happened.  This is just typical Avery, he has no place in the game. In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage :
    Posted by OatesCam

Oates, just to be clear, I'm not calling Simmonds a hypocrite. I just agree with others who see the irony of member of a visible minority being accused of certain prejudices.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Posted by OatesCam

I don't think Simmonds is hypocritical either, and in fairness, his public reaction was that neither incident was a big deal.

But, I do think he is in a better position than most to point out that something like that should not just be dismissed because it is accpeted by the majority.  If he has had to deal with any hardhsips in his life because of his race (and it sounds like he has), then he might be more sensitive to those hardships for other minority groups.  He doesn't have to be, but you would guess that he might.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : well, the world will always need accountants. (see, I can do stereotypes too.) but to the story, am I the only one who finds it more than just a little ironic that this slur was said by Simmonds of all people? Like two days after someone threw a banana at him?
    Posted by red75

I noticed that too with your 'straight white guy' lecturing comment. Are you 100 % sure on that or just stereotyping ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont know.  Ill be straight up honest:  Ive used MANY "homophobic slurs" in my life.  Use them often too.  I have gay friends I use them in front of also.  Its all about the context.  HOWEVER, I would NEVER, in my LIFE, expect to be an employee at Wal-Mart and while doing an inventory with 200 other employees, call someone else a "homophobic slur".  Youd lose your job, get sued (and lose) and your Wal-Mart would be sued also for allowing a "hostile workplace".  In todays society, its simply unacceptable to use words like these in anywhere but your close, tight-knit, circle of friends who you KNOW are OK with it.

I think the league should absolutely crack down on that stuff.  Im all for using whatever words you want with your friends, at your own home, etc., but when youre in public, or at your place of work, absolutely not.  I dont care if it is NHL hockey, there is no need for it.  And this is coming from one of the most politically incorrect, right-winged, NON "white" person youd ever meet.  There is a place and time for everything.  It would be TOTALLY different if someone called Simmonds a n*gger, and I KNOW we wouldnt even be HAVING this kind of discussion had this been the case.  People would be calling for the offender to be thrown out of the league.  Double standard because of sexual preference and the general population being against homosexuality.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : I noticed that too with your 'straight white guy' lecturing comment. Are you 100 % sure on that or just stereotyping ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Well ed said he/she was straight and white, though he/ she never specified their gender, so let's say, given the name,that I'm 95 per cent sure.

Sections
Shortcuts