Homophobic Slur Garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : I'm pretty sure "men" act the same way!
    Posted by bostonbruins69[/QUOTE]

Yep . I've seen 80 year old men act this way. No time left for them to grow up .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Getting back to Avery, anybody else out there (other then myself) think that he actually IS gay, and that's why it hit a nerve with him? In taking a look at his career, an awful lot of garbage has come out of his mouth. How the hell could this possibly affend him? I can already hear the chants in some arenas when the Rangers are in town. Just saying...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

to all those with their britches in a pinch concerning my spot on assessment of the OP. MY POINT was that it's difficult for some to understand what it's like to be discriminated against, because they probably have never been. you know...like straight, white, males, of christian faith- i'm not sure how this is derogatory, in any way. it simply is reality. think of all the derogatory remarks directed at homosexuals, women, non-whites, and muslims/jews. i can think of hundreds, tell me how many you can think of that are directed at straight/white/male/christian's? crickets. the point is how would someone who has not been subjected to this bigotry have any idea how it affects those who have? the statement about having children... to those of you who have children, do you teach them "there is a time and place to be a hateful bigot"-really? this is what i'm reading over and over again. "hey it's hockey"- which i'm guessing is the attitude taken by those who say these bigoted remarks during their time playing the game, you know, because EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING IT! a very adult way of justifying your actions. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If two people at your work decide to just start fighting in the office and each only gets a 5 minute timeout, then you can compare their jobs to yours. Stop living in fantasy world.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

"Stop living in fantasy word"-The most ironic statement yet.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The idea of "what kind of things are OK to say" is tricky. Obviously, you can't have players dropping N-bombs at opponents. And just as obviously, there has been X-rated trash talk during hockey games since the beginning of the NHL. And there always will be, and to me, that trash-talk is part of the game at the elite level (Major Junior / NCAA and the pros). (Anyone who has seen the "Hey Bellows!" YouTube clip and has been anywhere near a rink knows just how commonplace that scenario is).

After reading the whole thread, it's obvious that it's difficult to know where to draw the line.  The league can't just make a list of "banned words" and say "these aren't OK, the rest are." They likewise can't over-react and start punishing every mean thing one guy says to another.

Not sure how this problem can really be fixed. It probably can't. That's the reality of it, and that means we're going to see a lot more of this kind of stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

[QUOTE]to all those with their britches in a pinch concerning my spot on assessment of the OP. MY POINT was that it's difficult for some to understand what it's like to be discriminated against, because they probably have never been. you know...like straight, white, males, of christian faith- i'm not sure how this is derogatory, in any way. it simply is reality. think of all the derogatory remarks directed at homosexuals, women, non-whites, and muslims/jews. i can think of hundreds, tell me how many you can think of that are directed at straight/white/male/christian's? crickets. the point is how would someone who has not been subjected to this bigotry have any idea how it affects those who have? the statement about having children... to those of you who have children, do you teach them "there is a time and place to be a hateful bigot"-really? this is what i'm reading over and over again. "hey it's hockey"- which i'm guessing is the attitude taken by those who say these bigoted remarks during their time playing the game, you know, because EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING IT! a very adult way of justifying your actions. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

First of all, you said you were done with this thread
    Second, dont go assuming that because someone is straight/white/male/christian that they have not been subjected to bigotry.
    Maybe not to the extent that others may be subjected to.
    Lets keep going:No one said there is a "time and place to be a hateful bigot". What WAS said is that this crap happens in hockey/pro sports. I'm not accepting of the behavior but willing to admit that it exists in the game.
    Hey, since you are back with this thread  you can now answer my question - Will you keep watching Bruins hockey knowing that this behavior exists ? I'm guessing you will continue to watch with the idea that you are willing to overlook anything that may be said on the ice because you love to watch your team. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that(I'll certainly be watching!) but,don't come across as a bastion of moral integrity when you are really not. Don't be a fraud !

I never expected this thread to morph into the heated (and sometimes shameful) discussion that it turned into when I originally posted it. My point was that society's hyper-sensitivity to anything that is deemed offensive has spilled over to this game that I love and it is being affected by it. These days our course of action is usually reactionary and I think we just need to step back, take a breath and stop trying to fight every battle that comes our way.
    Love the passion of my fellow Bruins fans. Let's not forget why we are here and what brings us together - The Boston Bruins !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kennedy...there are ways to shout profanities/ derogatory remarks in the "heat of the moment" w/o being a bigot. here's a few examples... a*****e, F***face, mother*****, scum***... just name a few. notice none of these are singling out a race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference as being the target of their hate. you know, a general "i don't like you", instead of "i don't like you because of your race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference." see the difference? it's not as complicated as everyone's making it out to be. it starts in the home, with one's own children. teach them to respect all people, all the time, and wait and see what happens... my guess is even the profanities above will be eliminated from our vocabularies. you may say i'm a dreamer....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think that the NHL should go so far as a list of words that are okay or not, and I think they have to recognize how frequently this probably it happens and not make Simmonds into some kind of monster because he got tattled on by Avery.

But, the league should say this to the players,

"Look, from here on anything that is discriminatory is not allowed during NHL games.  We understand these words are common, but if you choose these words there is a risk.  We're not going to have players reporting eachother for every offensive word, but if those discriminatory words are picked up with game audio, or heard through the arena, or re-played on SprotsCenter -- if you make that type of speech public -- you will be fined or punished.  Individual players have no right to give the league a black eye by shouting discriminatory slurs at eachother in front of 18,000 of our fans.  Do so at your own risk"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

ed...i'm not trying to "come across" as anything but the person i was raised to be. i will continue to watch the bruins, but i've used these recent incidents as teaching moments for my children/students. letting them know these actions are not acceptable, and are hurtful, rather than shielding them from it(age appropriate of course), or condoning it(everyone does it).  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think that the NHL should go so far as a list of words that are okay or not, and I think they have to recognize how frequently this probably it happens and not make Simmonds into some kind of monster because he got tattled on by Avery. But, the league should say this to the players, "Look, from here on anything that is discriminatory is not allowed during NHL games.  We understand these words are common, but if you choose these words there is a risk.  We're not going to have players reporting eachother for every offensive word, but if those discriminatory words are picked up with game audio, or heard through the arena, or re-played on SprotsCenter -- if you make that type of speech public -- you will be fined or punished.  Individual players have no right to give the league a black eye by shouting discriminatory slurs at eachother in front of 18,000 of our fans.  Do so at your own risk"
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I think it would be ridiculous to make a "list", but at the same time I honestly thought NHL players had more professionalism than NBA or NFL players.  If you have to resort to using the term "f@ggot" when youre upset at an opponent, that probably says more about you than them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

[QUOTE]ed...i'm not trying to "come across" as anything but the person i was raised to be. i will continue to watch the bruins, but i've used these recent incidents as teaching moments for my children/students. letting them know these actions are not acceptable, and are hurtful, rather than shielding them from it(age appropriate of course), or condoning it(everyone does it).  

Well said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : And now, here you are, acting like a couple of fruits..........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Hey Dez how about you realize how lucky you are because you can kiss my (*) & I can't! Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]kennedy...there are ways to shout profanities/ derogatory remarks in the "heat of the moment" w/o being a bigot. here's a few examples... a*****e, F***face, mother*****, scum***... just name a few. notice none of these are singling out a race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference as being the target of their hate. you know, a general "i don't like you", instead of "i don't like you because of your race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference." see the difference? it's not as complicated as everyone's making it out to be. it starts in the home, with one's own children. teach them to respect all people, all the time, and wait and see what happens... my guess is even the profanities above will be eliminated from our vocabularies. you may say i'm a dreamer....

I do see the difference. I just don't think it's that simple. About a dozen years ago, Patrice Brisebois accused a player of calling him a "f-ing frog" on the ice. He claimed that the word was as hateful and bigoted as the n-word. Is it?  I am guessing most here would say "no", since that word is tossed around all the time on this board.  Yet clearly it's taken as extremely derogatory by a great number of French-Canadians, and also clearly to them it's an ethnic slur. Is that the sort of thing that the league should try to eliminate?

I'm not sure. I'm against players using language on the ice that is bigoted, sectarian, racist, etc. They can trash talk effectively without it, as you mention. At the same time, there is a WIDE window of what could be considered "offensive" that could fit the "racist/bigoted" parameters. I don't think I want the league to sit down and make a forbidden words list, that's for sure....but I likewise don't think it'll just stop on its own.

And that doesn't even begin to consider how hard it is to enforce. Remember when Tie Domi was accused of dropping a n-bomb by Sandy McCarthy of the Flyers. Nobody else heard it (or at least admitted to hearing it), but it was a huge issue for days/weeks....even though it was completely his word against Tie's. Only Domi knows whether or not he did it, as trying to discern exactly what is said during a heated moment isn't always easy, either.

Basically, I think the league should deal with it on a case by case basis, with the policy essentially being US Supreme Court Justice Steven Breyer's philosophy on obscenity: "I can't define it, but I know what it is when I see it." I think that's the best we can hope for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

kennedy... i agree it is not easy. the easy thing to do would chalk it up as "boys being boys", but we've got to start somewhere. kinda like this whole head shot business the nhl is finally addressing. is it perfect, no. is it a work in progress, yes, but atleast it's finally being addressed.  it's called taking baby steps(love what about bob), with common sense, eventually you'll get to where you want to be. maybe the solution is to start taking this issue very seriously at the lower levels also...in turn, leading to an eradication of these behaviors slowly through time.  the point is, it will not be easy, but it is possible. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I can't help but wonder what George Carlin would think of this thread.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i can't believe i haven't been booted from this site for my above mentioned profanities, only one of which is on that famous list!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I always thought the idea of guys getting off on lesbians as kind of funny. It's like "Oh, yeah... man... they are SO disinterested in me! That's HOT!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]I can't help but wonder what George Carlin would think of this thread.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

He'd turn over in his grave if he knew people were arguing against free speech.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : He'd turn over in his grave if he knew people were arguing against free speech.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I don't think Carlin would approve of people slinging racial and ethnic slurs in the workplace, as a free speech issue.  But, he would undoubtedly be entertaining talking about it... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Hey Dez how about you realize how lucky you are because you can kiss my (*) & I can't!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Touche! Hey Nite, you're alright buddy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Yep . I've seen 80 year old men act this way. No time left for them to grow up .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

haha, true that Chowdah!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : He'd turn over in his grave if he knew people were arguing against free speech.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Except for the reality that this isn't even remotely close to a 1st Amendment issue, you're spot on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

[QUOTE]simply put...it's obvious you are a straight white male of christian faith. i hope you don't have children.
    Haha well said

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]kennedy...there are ways to shout profanities/ derogatory remarks in the "heat of the moment" w/o being a bigot. here's a few examples... a*****e, F***face, mother*****, scum***... just name a few. notice none of these are singling out a race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference as being the target of their hate. you know, a general "i don't like you", instead of "i don't like you because of your race, sex, sexual preference, or religious preference." see the difference? it's not as complicated as everyone's making it out to be. it starts in the home, with one's own children. teach them to respect all people, all the time, and wait and see what happens... my guess is even the profanities above will be eliminated from our vocabularies. you may say i'm a dreamer....
    So calling someone a mother****** isn't a derogatory remark about someone's sexual preference? You're contradicting yourself. When someone uses the word that sounds like drag & drop the dr for an f. Why is it OK for someone to call a person a motherf'er & that's not expected to be taken literally, but when the filthy word that is used to describe a "gay man" gets taken literally?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Touche! Hey Nite, you're alright buddy.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Ditto my friend!! That Shupe fella though? (Red don't get mad at me for saying this) I heard that he squats to pee. Shhhh.. don't tell him I told ya. Sealed