Homophobic Slur Garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage

OMG ~ I can't believe it's (the center of attention) Sean Avery who's involved..........
    and from the same game ~ it's good old (Mr. Nice Guy) Sean threatning to kill another player. hmmmmmmmmmm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Well ed said he/she was straight and white, though he/ she never specified their gender, so let's say, given the name,that I'm 95 per cent sure.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

ummm..........guys is plural not just one person. 95 % sure on one person. The rest of us ......you're stereotyping red .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Simmonds is garbage, as is the idiot who threw the banana. You can be a pest/instigator/fan without spewing hate.

That said, I'm more interested in the larger context of what's happening in the NHL with this type of stuff. There is a clear line being drawn in the sand between "old school" and "new school" these days, and the NHL has a ballooning image problem on their hands. We see the conversation play out with topics like cheap shots, hits to the head, concussion protocol, fighting, etc.

I think this is all related to finding a balance between the edge that's in the game versus a new, fan-friendly game played by millionaires. Are we going to see the same "clean up the game" mentality that's been sweeping ther NFL? Sure seems that way....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : ummm..........guys is plural not just one person. 95 % sure on one person. The rest of us ......you're stereotyping red .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Sorry I should have used the singular. I was intending to directly refer to the OP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]OMG ~ I can't believe it's (the center of attention) Sean Avery who's involved.......... and from the same game ~ it's good old (Mr. Nice Guy) Sean threatning to kill another player. hmmmmmmmmmm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E
    Posted by jaymiller[/QUOTE]
    Strange they were easily able to hear Avery threatening to fu**ing kill Giroux yet there's no evidence to support Avery's claim. Where were the mics when Simmonds was talking?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

red...uh...are you married?  Interested in a white guy of 40??  lmao

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Sorry I should have used the singular. I was intending to directly refer to the OP.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Too late. You called me an accountant........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]red...uh...are you married?  Interested in a white guy of 40??  lmao
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

Too late ;) The wife and I are coming up on our first anniversary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

You know, the other thing is the league, and its starting again.  When Avery made the "sloppy second" comment, he was tossed for HOW LONG!?  But when a black man makes a "F@GGOT" comment, the league has no evidence (even though the video CLEARY shows what he said and Stevie Wonder could have read his lips it was so clear) and therefore their hands are tied.  The bullsh*t is starting already.

And what about that hit from behind?  That should be another 8 gamer right there.  That was a NASTY hit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Strange they were easily able to hear Avery threatening to fu**ing kill Giroux yet there's no evidence to support Avery's claim. Where were the mics when Simmonds was talking?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

It's here if you can read lips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQbDVk38KY

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Avery getting suspended for the " sloppy seconds " comment was complete garbage,and i'm no fan of Avery.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Sorry I should have used the singular. I was intending to directly refer to the OP.
    Posted by red75

Didn't know that and could only assume what you had written. My bad too !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

what a sad commentary on our society. that might be YOUR reality, but it's certainly not mine. i teach in a school, and observed a student mocking the special education students walking to lunch. i nearly lost my cool and my job in an effort to show this dispicable teenager(senior) the error of his ways. the fact that you find it OK for ADULTS, and even gretzky to behave in this way is incomprehensible. shame on gretzky for ALLOWING this behavior on his team. if he speaks up against these belittling behaviors towards the less-fortunate, it would have ended. period. children emulate the actions of their elders and like it or not sports heroes. the world does not exist in a vacuum. these things are not mutually exclusive.  to say there is a right time and place for bigoted, and hateful behavior is sending the wrong message. seeing as how i was spot on with my previous post, it's no wonder you can't understand how hurtful these hateful actions/words can be to those UNLIKE YOU. you know gays, non-whites, women, muslims, handicapped...just to name a few. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

adk - First off, I respect and appreciate your opinion. It's obvious that you are a passionate in your beliefs and that is to be admired.
    It's important to note that my REALITY is much like your REALITY. But, to say that I find this type of behavior to be OK is wrong. I think any reasonable person knows that it is wrong. I'm merely saying that this is what exists in pro sports, like it or not. I have also experienced my fair share of hurt,abuse and ridicule throughout my life so I think I have a reasonable understanding of what it's like to be different.
    In a perfect world these types of behaviors would not exist and everyone would get along fine. But, we all know thats just not the case. There is a distinct double standard when it comes to 'real life' and pro sports. It's the 'ugly side' to the game that is not talked about but, let's face it, people still love thier sports whether they want to accept it as the truth or not. I'm guessing you may love to eat sausages but do you really want to know how they are made.
    Yes, the words/actions are hurtful and we would NEVER use them in everyday interactions with people. In sports they are a tool used to throw people off their game and gain a mental edge. Will you stop watching Bruins hockey knowing that this behavior exists EVERY NIGHT ??? Will You ????? Im guessing you will continue to watch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

fun watching burke stand up for avery. 

to quote the movie, heathers... 'i love my dead, gay son!'

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Avery should not have been suspended for what he said, total overreaction by the NHL, typical cooperate bowing to the politically correct world. And I love the term "politically correct"..those two words together make me laugh. Anyone who tries to paint themselves as "politically correct" is a fake a** phony who lives a lie. Simmonds could have said it while mic'd up and nothing would happen to him, especially after the banana incident last week. Because in todays fake PC sensitive world, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, the white male is the minority, and it is only going to get worse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

[QUOTE]simply put...it's obvious you are a straight white male of christian faith. i hope you don't have children.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Don't bother saying Christian in there. That's a b.s. statement and is not necessarily true.Don't make this about religion buddy- totally n.f.g.
    This whole thing isn't about the players only. It's also about kids watching on TV who could easily read his lips and figure out what he said. If some 13 year old kid battling with their own feelings about sexuality hears hockey players using these kind of slurs and believes that everyone's okay with that then it could have a severe impact. I agree that it has to stop- but where do you draw the line? Leave religion out adk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

[QUOTE]That said, I don't need straight white guys to lecture me on what does and does not constitute offensive acts of discrimination. 
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - The last thing I'm trying to do is lecture you. As you know, this is a forum designed to allow us to express an opinion which is what I was offering.
    Happy Anniversary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Homophobic Slur Garbage

If people wish to pursue alternative forms of medicine, that's their buisness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

I'll be in the minority of the group and say I don't really have a problem with it.  The hypersensitivity with all this stuff is what bothers me the most.  In one of the articles about this, it stated that it was likely used in a habitual sense rather than actually homophobic in context.  Basically, it's just a word pre-loaded in their vocabulary that is the first to be fired out in a hostile setting.  

People use words and phrases out of context all the time, but it's never given a second thought unless it is potentially a slur for a particular group or community.  
    I understand that it may seem counter intuitive that somebody would use a word in a  'derogatory' sense without referring its actual definition, but it happens.  I can honestly say that I've used that word more than a few times, and I don't ever remember using it to either describe or imply somebody was a homosexual.  

I don't feel that using words like that automatically makes somebody less compassionate, tolerant, empathetic or open to other people in society.  I think it's pretty clear when it's intended to be malicious most of the time.  But to some people there doesn't seem to be a distinction, which is frustrating, because there is.

I just find it amusing and equally aggravating when people try to preach tolerance, while being intolerant and only seeing things in absolutes, as opposed to using their own logic and reasoning, and I don't know - maybe having an intelligent discussion.  People want instant gratification these days, and demand A, B and C for any indescretion.  Heaven forbid anybody here slips up.

/rant while I wince at the potential flames incoming.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : red - The last thing I'm trying to do is lecture you. As you know, this is a forum designed to allow us to express an opinion which is what I was offering. Happy Anniversary.
    Posted by ed121501[/QUOTE]

Thanks ed, and I get it. Occassionally I do get myself tied in knots a little when I hear arguments about what does and does not constitute offensive and discriminatory behaviour. To me that's a personal call and it's up to the individual on how they react to it. Lke I said, when it comes to hockey I do my best to settle these sorts of things on the ice, and I think anyone who uses these kinds of slurs during a game has to expect retribution. But that's how I personally decide to handle it. That's not the only way, and it's not necessarily even the right way. This is my perspective as an out hockey player, and the wife deals with it even more than I do because she plays at a much higher level than me. And believe me, this kind of thing isjust as prevalent on the women's side as it is on the men's side. I also agree with Chef in regards to the perpetuation of this kind of behaviour, and that religion has little to do with it. Bigots come in all stripes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Nothing funny about that at all Hungus.  I knew Brendan Burke.  You're a lowlife, making a comment like that about such a tragedy.  That's a cowardly BS comment, even for this board.  Shame on you.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

x2

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I think there is a lot that goes on in hockey that really goes against the grain of what is politically correct, and for the good of the sport what happens on the ice needs to stay on the ice, and if there are issues like this go to the league and players association with your grievances.

No good will come by doing things to draw the attention and ire of the self-righteous, chest-thumping, blowhards of the world who need to tell everyone what is right and have zero tolerance for any other views.  This is at least the second time Avery has been involved in one of these situations, after previously making the sloppy second comments.

There is a lot of trash talking, violence, and fighting during contests, things that people would be arrested for doing in public, but they are part of the game.  At the end of each playoff series there is a handshake as a sign of respect towards the game and the opponents.

So ultimately yes, there should be more leeway towards things that happen during a contest.  If such comments are made outside of the action, throw the book at them, but during a game a naughty word from time to time isn't gonna hurt anyone.

That said, I can just imagine the field day the anti-bullying groups could have with what the Bruins did to the Sedins during the Finals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The gay slurs in sports will always be there and they will always be used out of context. Is Sean Avery gay? No Does Wayne Simmonds really think he is gay? No..I know he likes womens fashion but If being with Rachel Hunter and the other women he has dated constitutes one being gay, well, then sign me up. We all know the word is used in sports as a macho, testosterone, I'm more of a man than you term.That will never change. Seriously, who cares what one player says to another in the heat of battle. The only reason Avery made a case about it is because he was suspended for making insensitive comments. To me, what happens on the ice,stays on the ice, so cry me a river Sean Avery. Your sympathy card is in the mail.
    To be honest, I have used the term Simmonds is accused of saying numerous times. All it is, is a word. Would I ever use it to offend a gay person? No. Not in my nature and I really try to stop using that word along with a host of others since I've had kids. Not easy, it's an uphill battle and I catch myself still doing it.At the end of the day what ones sexual preference is has no bearing on my life, I really don't care, what ever you are, more power to you.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The gay slurs in sports will always be there and they will always be used out of context. Is Sean Avery gay? No Does Wayne Simmonds really think he is gay? No..I know he likes womens fashion but If being with Rachel Hunter and the other women he has dated constitutes one being gay, well, then sign me up. We all know the word is used in sports as a macho, testosterone, I'm more of a man than you term.That will never change. Seriously, who cares what one player says to another in the heat of battle. The only reason Avery made a case about it is because he was suspended for making insensitive comments. To me, what happens on the ice,stays on the ice, so cry me a river Sean Avery. Your sympathy card is in the mail. To be honest, I have used the term Simmonds is accused of saying numerous times. All it is, is a word. Would I ever use it to offend a gay person? No. Not in my nature and I really try to stop using that word along with a host of others since I've had kids. Not easy, it's an uphill battle and I catch myself still doing it.At the end of the day what ones sexual preference is has no bearing on my life, I really don't care, what ever you are, more power to you.  
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree kel, and before there is any appearence that I am trying to take the moral high ground, I will say again that I have used this term numerous times on the ice in my past.  I try not to say it anymore which is exactly what we might ask of NHL players.

I would argue that there is the disconnect of how you mean the word when you say it, and then what it means to other people who hear it.  Don't assume they are the same.

I've never used that term to state my belief that the person was actually gay, rather I used it just to insult them.  I'm sure Simmonds wasn't formally accusing Avery of being gay -- he was trying to insult him.  The problem is that you are using a term that literally means 'homosexual" just to insult somebody.  That's why it is rightly considered a homophobic slur.  If I was gay and played hockey (don't think it doesn't happen) it would be particularly offensive that hockey players compared their opponents to gay people, for the sole purpose of insulting them.  It is offensive.

That said, I have little sympathy for Avery and he seems very opportunistic in taking his case to the press instead of dealing with it on the ice.  Mr. Sensitivity Sean has a history of making some pretty insensitive comments about others (french-canadiens, ex-girlfriends).  I don't really want to call Simmonds out for something that happens all the time, other than to encourage him to use the platform to admit that "yes, I shouldn't use that slur" and perhaps apologize to people who were offended.  And I'm no PC prude.  I'd rather he make sex jokes about Avery's mother than pull an innocent minority group into the fight and insult them.  Insult Avery, not millions of gay people.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In the new NHL, this is what happens the next time the Rangers & Flyers play, and there's a face-washing scrum in front of the net:

Avery:  Mr. Simmonds, I wish you would cease rubbing your malodorous glove in my facial area.

Simmonds: If it causes you offense, Mr. Avery, by all means I will stop, but only if you remove your stick from between my legs and stop pushing it upwards.

Avery: Oh, I wasn't under the impression that it bothered you.

Simmonds: Indeed it does, let us now disengage and return to our respective benches in a civilized manner.

Avery: It was a pleasure being on the ice with you this shift, Mr. Simmonds;  I hope to see you again in a couple of minutes.

Simmonds:  The pleasure is all mine.