Homophobic Slur Garbage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage

It angers me that it's the guy that dropped the N bomb on Georges that is complaining.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage:
    The gay slurs in sports will always be there and they will always be used out of context. Is Sean Avery gay? No Does Wayne Simmonds really think he is gay? No..I know he likes womens fashion but If being with Rachel Hunter and the other women he has dated constitutes one being gay, well, then sign me up. We all know the word is used in sports as a macho, testosterone, I'm more of a man than you term.That will never change. Seriously, who cares what one player says to another in the heat of battle. The only reason Avery made a case about it is because he was suspended for making insensitive comments. To me, what happens on the ice,stays on the ice, so cry me a river Sean Avery. Your sympathy card is in the mail. To be honest, I have used the term Simmonds is accused of saying numerous times. All it is, is a word. Would I ever use it to offend a gay person? No. Not in my nature and I really try to stop using that word along with a host of others since I've had kids. Not easy, it's an uphill battle and I catch myself still doing it.At the end of the day what ones sexual preference is has no bearing on my life, I really don't care, what ever you are, more power to you.  
    Posted by kelvana33

I agree 100%. I'm not offended by the language and am guilty of using the same language in social contexts.

I understand that they are "at work" or in a "job setting" but I don't know about your job, but my job doesn't require NEARLY as much aggression, competitiveness, physical fitness, and energy to do. I can see how that can bring out emotions of anger and hatred where a natural reaction would be to curse.

If we are going to be removing this language from the game what is to stop the league from removing all curses and other derogatory language from the game as well? Are we really going to tell grown men (and women) what they can or can't say in certain situations? What about exception? If someone breaks a leg or gets laid out they can't yell in pain and have it be accompanied by a swear? Where do we draw the line?

Its a slippery slope allowing natural reactions to be monitored during games. Are they going to start mic'ing all the players to monitor their language to make sure they all play nice? They are grown individuals. Give them a break when their emotions get the best of them.

And for those of you that are saying well because they are grown and mature they should know better than to use that language I have to say cut the BS and get over yourself. Word choice does not dictate to maturity level. They are not one in the same...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : I agree 100%. I'm not offended by the language and am guilty of using the same language in social contexts. I understand that they are "at work" or in a "job setting" but I don't know about your job, but my job doesn't require NEARLY as much aggression, competitiveness, physical fitness, and energy to do. I can see how that can bring out emotions of anger and hatred where a natural reaction would be to curse. If we are going to be removing this language from the game what is to stop the league from removing all curses and other derogatory language from the game as well? Are we really going to tell grown men (and women) what they can or can't say in certain situations? What about exception? If someone breaks a leg or gets laid out they can't yell in pain and have it be accompanied by a swear? Where do we draw the line? Its a slippery slope allowing natural reactions to be monitored during games. Are they going to start mic'ing all the players to monitor their language to make sure they all play nice? They are grown individuals. Give them a break when their emotions get the best of them. And for those of you that are saying well because they are grown and mature they should know better than to use that language I have to say cut the BS and get over yourself. Word choice does not dictate to maturity level. They are not one in the same...
    Posted by lambda13

If a fight broke out every time someone in my league used the C word during a game, we'd never finish a game. It's about perspective and context.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

The problem here is for the NHL because it was heard/seen on camera.(lip reading was easy). If it was said on the ice and none of the cameras picked it up-no one, not even Avery would have said anything about it (Not saying that it makes it right). I believe that the reporters asked him what was said- he didn't seek them out to report Simmonds. Coby was fined $100,000 for using the same comment towards an official I think. Another question- are comments on the ice about wives & girlfriends okay but sexual preference slurs where we draw the line. If they are going to suspend or fine for these comments, they need parameters and guidelines. The league may need to direct people about these comments but it will be to stop bad P.R.- not because they care that it's right or wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

The problem here is for the NHL because it was heard/seen on camera.(lip reading was easy). If it was said on the ice and none of the cameras picked it up-no one, not even Avery would have said anything about it (Not saying that it makes it right). I believe that the reporters asked him what was said- he didn't seek them out to report Simmonds. Coby was fined $100,000 for using the same comment towards an official I think. Another question- are comments on the ice about wives & girlfriends okay but sexual preference slurs where we draw the line. If they are going to suspend or fine for these comments, they need parameters and guidelines. The league may need to direct people about these comments but it will be to stop bad P.R.- not because they care that it's right or wrong.
    Posted by Chef09

Exactly.

Context is can be subjective which gets opinion into the discussion and everyone, as we are all very aware, has their own opinions haha.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

felcher, just be glad you can still call me a lowlife since you weren't brendan's last boyfriend.  burke has no business sticking up for avery.    
    Posted by Karl-Hungus

Well, are you ribbing Brian Burke about something else, or are you dancing on the grave of his kid who was tragically killed in a car accident to get a cheap laugh (cause, ya know, he's gay)?  It sounded like the latter to me.  Which is low life stuff. 

Why can't Burke stick up for Avery if he wants to?

And yeah, I was friends with Brendan Burke through hockey, so he must have been my boyfriend...more lowlife stuff.  Ryan Jones (Oilers), Andy Miele (Coyotes) and Alec Martinez (Kings) were good friends with Brendan too -- they must be gay, right?  Carter Camper too?

Feel free to climb out of your hole and defend yourself, if you have the guts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If a fight broke out every time someone in my league used the C word during a game, we'd never finish a game. It's about perspective and context.
    Posted by red75

Smart reply to all of this Red!!!!!!!!  Calodthem19's comment "It angers me that it's the guy that dropped the N bomb on Georges that is complaining." is a perfect reflection of the whole garbage.  It is the 21st century!  I always respect individual rights, but I loathe political correctness.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

fun watching burke stand up for avery.  to quote the movie, heathers... 'i love my dead, gay son!'
    Posted by Karl-Hungus

Wow man, you are a huge tool!  I don't really find anything wrong with what happened.  People say things in the heat of the moment and regret it afterwards.  It happens every day.  But to be that incredibly disrespectful, it is just amazes me how some people are.  Just horrible!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Unfortunately in the world of hockey things like what Simmonds said is used all the time. Last night ex-NHLer Aaron Ward of TSN said that if you took a poll of players 100 % of them would say that they've said something along those lines also on the ice. Mike Johnson also an ex-NHL player nodded in agreement. It happens all the time and just doesn't get publicized. Until now. Non issue in my opinion. Boys will be boys trying to show who has the biggest bal.....
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Perhaps the "boys" should start acting like men?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Perhaps the "boys" should start acting like men?
    Posted by jaywall

I'm pretty sure "men" act the same way!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : I'm pretty sure "men" act the same way!
    Posted by bostonbruins69

If hockey players want to be known as professional athletes and take their craft seriously as a vocation then they should act like people in the real world have to in theirs. 

If I made a homophobic comment I would be fired pretty much on the spot. I expect them to carry themselves in the same manner. Nothing more, nothing less.

They are not still in high school playing in Juniors. They get paid big money and people pay big money to see them.

Time to grow up....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If hockey players want to be known as professional athletes and take their craft seriously as a vocation then they should act like people in the real world have to in theirs.  If I made a homophobic comment I would be fired pretty much on the spot. I expect them to carry themselves in the same manner. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not still in high school playing in Juniors. They get paid big money and people pay big money to see them. Time to grow up....
    Posted by jaywall

So hockey is the only professional sport where inappropriate language is used?  Come on now!  If you look at a list of football players, I would say at least half have been arrested in their life.  Do you see their craft being hurt at all by that?  Are they not known as professonal athletes?  I mean, Ray Lewis can kill someone and still play football every sunday with an amazing amount of fans watching and cheering him on.  I'm sorry but if you think that a large number of people won't watch hockey because someone may have said a homophobic slur your fooling yourself.  Personally, if there were people who felt that way, I'd be glad to tell them what channel basketball is on.  And just a question about your job, are you allowed to throw body checks or throw punches at a co-workers?  Because if you aren't, I don't really think you can compare jobs.  Hockey is played with a lot of emotion.  Sometimes that emotion brings a player to the edge causing them to say inappropriate things.  It has always happened and it always will!  Lets stop complaining about a non-issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : So hockey is the only professional sport where inappropriate language is used?  Come on now!  If you look at a list of football players, I would say at least half have been arrested in their life.  Do you see their craft being hurt at all by that?  Are they not known as professonal athletes?  I mean, Ray Lewis can kill someone and still play football every sunday with an amazing amount of fans watching and cheering him on.  I'm sorry but if you think that a large number of people won't watch hockey because someone may have said a homophobic slur your fooling yourself.  Personally, if there were people who felt that way, I'd be glad to tell them what channel basketball is on.  And just a question about your job, are you allowed to throw body checks or throw punches at a co-workers?  Because if you aren't, I don't really think you can compare jobs.  Hockey is played with a lot of emotion.  Sometimes that emotion brings a player to the edge causing them to say inappropriate things.  It has always happened and it always will!  Lets stop complaining about a non-issue.
    Posted by bostonbruins69

Since this is a hockey board I was referring to hockey players. If you want to expand it to sports in general then, yes, all profesisonal athletes should be expected to act professional. Sports are not immune to how things work in life and the real world. It is time for people to stop using false pretenses to excuse the inexcusable....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If hockey players want to be known as professional athletes and take their craft seriously as a vocation then they should act like people in the real world have to in theirs.  If I made a homophobic comment I would be fired pretty much on the spot. I expect them to carry themselves in the same manner. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Posted by jaywall

Once the game starts though, hockey has a completely different set of rules than other "real world" vocations.  At your job can you body-check someone out of the way to get to a piece of equipment you want to use? Can you physically retaliate if you think a co-worker was wronged? If everyone seems lethargic, can you look for a willing participant to drop the gloves with to fire the team up?

Professional hockey is a physical, borderline combat sport where bones are broken.  It's not for everyone.  There can be a lot of physical pain involved and perhaps some hurt feelings as well during the contests.

Now if they make these comments to a teammate in the locker room, in the press, or anywhere outside of a game during regulation, then yes, they should face the same consequences anyone else would.  But during the game, there are different rules than any normal profession.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Since this is a hockey board I was referring to hockey players. If you want to expand it to sports in general then, yes, all profesisonal athletes should be expected to act professional. Sports are not immune to how things work in life and the real world. It is time for people to stop using false pretenses to excuse the inexcusable....
    Posted by jaywall

Go watch golf!  It may be a little easier on the ears for your liking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

You can threaten someone, tell them they're garbage, and be as hurtful as you want. Is it really too much to ask that what you say to someone when you're mad at them addresses what you're mad about, or the character of that person, and not just a non-sensical rant laced with offensive words for the sake of getting a reaction? It's stupid in real life, and it's stupid in hockey.
    If Max Lapierre is a smug wuss without any courage and is a wuss without enough game to play in the NHL unless he occupies the BS agitator role, all while acting like a huge coward and putting his teammates in jeopary, and diminishing people's respect in him, his team and the game, and sporting that ugly "pretty boy" mug and stupid haircut... tell him that in as colorful language as you want. Fight him if you want to. There's plenty of ammo there without having to resort to the stupid knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, chest-beating, non-sensical, over-the-top, thoughtless, ignorant, uncreative, boring, hateful, disgusting BS of dropping any kind of slur that has nothing to do with the issue at hand just to get someone upset. Make a point. Then you're right, and if the other person can't deal with it, you can fight them. Otherwise you're just an idiot.
    Deal in reality, say what you mean with authority, and then move on.
    This isn't even a matter of "act professional," it's a matter of (at most) not being a bigot, and (at least) not being an idiot.
    As much as I dislike Sean Avery, he made an excellent point: Simmonds was being a hypocrite for complaining about a racist "statement" while he himself makes homophobic ones. Simmonds actually seems embarassed about it, which is a good sign. He should be. Hopefully this gets him thinking about it. I still think Avery is a punk, but he got this one right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

i'm done with this thread... i wasn't aware that the fact that "it's done in every game"- makes these actions excusable. it all starts with you the individual, and letting the world know it's not OK. turning a blind eye to it because "it happens in every game"- is condoning the behavior. keep the elbows flyin' red.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Ya know Ad I'll admit at one time in my life & I bet Dez, Shupe & others that are from the Maritime Provinces know where I'm coming from. Thought that being gay was a ONLY by choice decision. Also; there were SOME that thought gay MEN belonged on an island where they could transmit all the dieases they wanted to one another. Gay women? Now thats where the double standards was at it's worse.  If some guy playing hockey heard about two women enjoying each other sexually & was grossed out by it? He probably wouldn't last on the team for 2 long. Personally I have grown up & actually have gay friends who are great individuals & in a lot of cases have the biggest heart.

However; Ad I truly think you calling out the poster about being Christian is just as wrong as what Wayne Simmonds was being accused of! I am a Christian; but I don't go around and advertising it & claim I'll be in heaven before anybody else! I'm not a Bible pounder either. I just don't have any problems of admitting I love Jesus Christ & I thank him every day for dying for our sins! Now how did that make you feel Ad! I bet you rolled your eyes! See this is where I have a problem with this stuff. It's not OK for someone to call some1 a queer; but it's OK for someone to make a remark about being Christian! It's OK for a Quebecer to make fun of an english speaking Canadian; but the minute a english speaking Canadian makes fun of a French one. He's anti-French! It's unbeliveable how the minorities is now the majority. How someone who wears a Turbun in this country can file a complaint about GOD being mentioned in schools & WIN is what ruffles my feathers! You lost your the argument the minute you stero-typed the first poster Ad!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

simply put...it's obvious you are a straight white male of christian faith. i hope you don't have children.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Actually, I'd say your arbitrary slur against Christianity and your despicable comment about whether or not he should be allowed to have children in the world that apparently you get to set the rules in, is far more offensive than anything said in his OP.

Regardless of whether talking un-PC trash on the ice is right or not, this is the perfect example of how people get to use political correctness to pretend they are better than other people and decide moral absolutes, like whether the OP should have children.

What a revolting, despicable comment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Actually, I'd say your arbitrary slur against Christianity and your despicable comment about whether or not he should be allowed to have children in the world that apparently you get to set the rules in, is far more offensive than anything said in his OP. Regardless of whether talking un-PC trash on the ice is right or not, this is the perfect example of how people get to use political correctness to pretend they are better than other people and decide moral absolutes, like whether the OP should have children. What a revolting, despicable comment.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Holy cow dung Sox! Would you believe it if someone on here  last year said. "I bet Soxfan & nitemare would agree on a bunch of topics next season!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : If hockey players want to be known as professional athletes and take their craft seriously as a vocation then they should act like people in the real world have to in theirs.  If I made a homophobic comment I would be fired pretty much on the spot. I expect them to carry themselves in the same manner. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not still in high school playing in Juniors. They get paid big money and people pay big money to see them. Time to grow up....
    Posted by jaywall

If two people at your work decide to just start fighting in the office and each only gets a 5 minute timeout, then you can compare their jobs to yours. Stop living in fantasy world.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : Holy cow dung Sox! Would you believe it if someone on here  last year said. "I bet Soxfan & nitemare would agree on a bunch of topics next season!"
    Posted by nitemare-38

And now, here you are, acting like a couple of fruits..........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

felcher, burke says nothing when simmonds has a banana thrown at him but now has a hissy fit over an alleged gay slur.  i understand you're close to the burke family so are you racist too?
    Posted by Karl-Hungus

Read it several times and still it makes no sense.  Try a little harder.  Leave the racism and homophobia behind and try to use big boy words and logic.  I'm not close to the Burke family at all, but I knew Brendan at Miami-Ohio.

You seem to think it's funny that a kid got killed in a car accident just because he's gay and was Burke's son.  That reaction tells us so much more about your insecurities and weaknesses than anything else, so really, I'm sorry for what you're going through and that you find joy in other people's pain.  I'm glad you're finding some power in anonymity.

If you knew Brendan, and weren't a homophobe, you probably wouldn't be joking about his death.  Great kid.  Nothing to fear there.  He was admired by everyone on that hockey team.  But I know I won't change your mind. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nitemare.
    This is what I have never understood. I know there is more tolerance out there for lesbians than gay men. I get that, I've lived it, but I don't understand it. Yes, I realize it has a masculinity aspect to it, but homosexual is homosexual - male or female. Why do I get a break that my male gay friends don't? Seriously. I've experienced it and still don't understand it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Homophobic Slur Garbage : And now, here you are, acting like a couple of fruits..........
    Posted by dezaruchi

Thinking someone doesn't have the moral status to decide another poster shouldn't have children is being a "fruit?"  Or was it objecting to the Christian-bashing?

Uh, OK.  Good one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Nitemare. This is what I have never understood. I know there is more tolerance out there for lesbians than gay men. I get that, I've lived it, but I don't understand it. Yes, I realize it has a masculinity aspect to it, but homosexual is homosexual - male or female. Why do I get a break that my male gay friends don't? Seriously. I've experienced it and still don't understand it.
    Posted by red75

I'm going to take a wild guess and say most men sexualize and objectify women to the point of thinking of 2 women getting together is just ... hot... and not all that out of the ordinary.  Of course, the visual is of 2 smoking hot lipstick lesbians, like you would see in a porno movie.

On the other hand, men see gay men as doing something disgusting, and in acting like women in their daily lives its creepy.  I'm not making any value judgements, but that's how I'd explain mens' perspectives of homosexuals of different genders.

Sections
Shortcuts