Horton Looking For a "Quieter, Non-Traditional Market."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Horton Looking For a

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Pretty disappointed to hear that Horton is really just in it for the money and the lifestyle. He blew hot and cold in Boston and turned in some good play off performances but in the end the Bs never won a Stanley Cup Final with him in the lineup.

They don't get to the Finals without him in the lineup. As a fan, I don't feel like he owes me a thing.  I'm with NAS on this. I have nothing but fond memories. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I couldn't agree more Crowls. Well stated. 

Good food too in Raleigh and Nathan looks like he can pack a few plate-fulls in....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'm somewhat surprised he wants to leave.  His spot in the lineup wasn't in jeopardy and he was never really a whipping boy with the media.  Oh well, to each his own, I wish him nothing but the best.  He created some of the best memories in a long while for Bruins fans.  Best of luck NH. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just proves that none of us really know what drives players or turns them off. We all have a tendency to believe they all want more money or be on a winner all the time.

It is strange when a player wants to play where he is happiest even when it may not be a with a real chance at the SC or for the most money

It also seems counter to the hockey players normal attitude and fierce competitvness

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo!  Sometimes it is about the girly or partner!  Boston may not be her town. I wish I could afford such choices.  If this is the case, kiss off Horton.  Adalius Thomas comes to mind when pondering on such decision making. I cannot bear read what I just wrote. 

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in Florida or even Raleigh, Red.

Carolina is a good guess. I'm told the arena is awesome. Players love it there.

Pretty area, cost of living inexpensive, winters are mild, great golf and houses are not very high, won't dent your wallet. Aaron Ward has always had good things to say about the area and organization.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

BTW I love the Appalachain Mts. of Virginia and NC.  Raliegh, nice town.  Flat, educated citizenery, and enjoyable, I'd rather live in Ashville.  Horton can play in Pheonix now!

BDC log in issues are just insane! Help!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The Raleigh area is also a pretty good place for raising a kid.  I wonder if he's getting an earful of that?  He has no children yet, right?

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

TSN article update - LeBrun thinks Horton was visiting Columbus today.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

The Raleigh area is also a pretty good place for raising a kid.  I wonder if he's getting an earful of that?  He has no children yet, right?

They have at least one son Dylan, born in 2008.

Edit-they have a second son named Zachary. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm sorry to see him go as I thought of him as a major contributor to Bruin success.  In the end only he and his family knows what's best for them.  I wondered if Phoenix might have met his qualifications (I don't know if warm weather is one of them.) but perhaps their ownership status removes them from his list.  I wouldn't razz him on his way out the door.  Buona Fortuna to him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Pretty disappointed to hear that Horton is really just in it for the money and the lifestyle. He blew hot and cold in Boston and turned in some good play off performances but in the end the Bs never won a Stanley Cup Final with him in the lineup.

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars?  Horton is no different than anyone else.  It's just that his job pays him a heck of a lot more than others do.

"Doesn't he have enough money?"  What is enough money?  Someone on welfare might look at someone who makes $50K as being exorbanantly rich.  "Why does that person use coupons?  Doesn't he have enough money?"  That's all up to the individual to decide.

As for the lifestyle:  He has earned the opportunity to live where he wants.  He has earned the opportunity to make his wife happy.  Why would he be somewhere he doesn't want to be if he can be somewhere he wants to be? 

He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I think as fans, we lived through the days when players didn't want to come here because of Harry and JJ's treatment of players, and it bothered us  Those days are presumably gone, so now when we see players (Horton, TT) who don't want to be here it makes us scratch our heads.  If it's not management that is causing this, what is it? 

Are these just isolated incidents, Horton because he wants more money and/or a lifestyle change, and TT because he's a weirdo?  Or is there somethig about the organization that players don't like and we don't see?

Well, google#fail for me!  If Dylan is the older, that probably means first child starting kindergarten soon.  They may want to pick a place to stay.  I suspect there's no chance my daughter will have a famous classmate, unfortunately.

Wherever he goes, he'll be getting a good chunk of change.  I doubt we will ever know if he takes the biggest contract, but I doubt it will be far off.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Barring anything unforseen next season could anyone else see Horton as the top UFA of this year's group?  Top in the sense of being the most productive in 2013/14.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I think Horton's better half has a huge say.  I also like Ashevile but it is a long way from Raleigh. there is a reason why it is cheap to live in Raleigh, Charlotte or any of those noncoastal cities in NC.  It is hot as hell for a good portion of the year with very high humidity and bugs galore.  The nonsummer months are nothing to write home about either.  I do like the schools in NC but I'm quite certain the Hortons can afford the best schools no matter what the city.  

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

In response to DrCC's comment:

Well, google#fail for me!  If Dylan is the older, that probably means first child starting kindergarten soon.  They may want to pick a place to stay.  I suspect there's no chance my daughter will have a famous classmate, unfortunately.

Wherever he goes, he'll be getting a good chunk of change.  I doubt we will ever know if he takes the biggest contract, but I doubt it will be far off.

Horton's wife is on every list of hottest WAGs so that's the only reason I know and yes, his son Dylan is the oldest. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Guy got/earned his ring.  He wants to land in a situation that works better for him and his family, I have no issue with it.  He earned his UFA status.  Good luck, Nathan.

Yep - sounds good unless your name is Tim Thomas

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I think as fans, we lived through the days when players didn't want to come here because of Harry and JJ's treatment of players, and it bothered us  Those days are presumably gone, so now when we see players (Horton, TT) who don't want to be here it makes us scratch our heads.  If it's not management that is causing this, what is it? 

Are these just isolated incidents, Horton because he wants more money and/or a lifestyle change, and TT because he's a weirdo?  Or is there somethig about the organization that players don't like and we don't see?

Slow down and breathe, Hang.  Horton's camp has said it isn't about money.  They're also said to be looking in a non-traditional hockey market.  That makes me think he and his family want to get away from the bright lights of a hockey mad area and try to enjoy somewhat of a normal life.  Or, she freakin' hates the snow.

When it comes to people not wanting to play for the current team, don't think of the whackjob and the recluse, think of all of the guys who have re-signed!  I'd list them, but there is no need.  Yow know who they all are.  They ALL want to live and play in Boston.

In response to JWensink's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Guy got/earned his ring.  He wants to land in a situation that works better for him and his family, I have no issue with it.  He earned his UFA status.  Good luck, Nathan.

Yep - sounds good unless your name is Tim Thomas

Horton honored his contract. I can't remember, did Thomas? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think it comes down to what Jim said - I'm not disappointed that Horton is apparently making a choice that works best for him or his family.  Nor would I suggest he doesn't have that right or that he owe me anything.  But "No Heartbeat" will always ring in my ears about this guy, and if someone asked me what i thought that comment meant, I would probably say somethign about not willing to do what it takes to win, not committed to the game or motivated by the challenge of being the best no matter what stage etc.

Like I said above, I think his time in Boston is going to shine as a total anomaly in a career spent golfing by mid-May.  We were fortunate to get his three best years.

Are you not entertained?!?!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

Slow down and breathe, Hang.  Horton's camp has said it isn't about money.  They're also said to be looking in a non-traditional hockey market.  That makes me think he and his family want to get away from the bright lights of a hockey mad area and try to enjoy somewhat of a normal life.  Or, she freakin' hates the snow.

When it comes to people not wanting to play for the current team, don't think of the whackjob and the recluse, think of all of the guys who have re-signed!  I'd list them, but there is no need.  Yow know who they all are.  They ALL want to live and play in Boston.

That's what makes this whole situation even more confusing.  If I had the talent to play at the NHL level, Boston would be top of the list for me. 

I guess I feel like I was jilted at the altar by Horton.  Now he's just another ex-girlfriend!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars? He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid. [/QUOTE]

This is the same crowd that thought Ray Allen betrayed Boston and the Celtics even though he was going to his 4th team. It's "matter of fact" palyers moving on when they become UFAs.

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars? He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid.

This is the same crowd that thought Ray Allen betrayed Boston and the Celtics even though he was going to his 4th team. It's "matter of fact" palyers moving on when they become UFAs.

I honestly think Horton did the Bruins a favour by letting them know right away that he would be unlikely to return. Don't waste time trying to sign a player who doesn't want to be here. 

•  

And have a serious, yearly shot at winning the Cup.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from chipnchase. Show chipnchase's posts

Well if he's looking at Columbus, I guess we can scratch "improved lifestyle" off the list of reasons for leaving.

• Sections
    Shortcuts