Horton Looking For a "Quieter, Non-Traditional Market."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Horton Looking For a

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think as fans, we lived through the days when players didn't want to come here because of Harry and JJ's treatment of players, and it bothered us  Those days are presumably gone, so now when we see players (Horton, TT) who don't want to be here it makes us scratch our heads.  If it's not management that is causing this, what is it? 

Are these just isolated incidents, Horton because he wants more money and/or a lifestyle change, and TT because he's a weirdo?  Or is there somethig about the organization that players don't like and we don't see?

Slow down and breathe, Hang.  Horton's camp has said it isn't about money.  They're also said to be looking in a non-traditional hockey market.  That makes me think he and his family want to get away from the bright lights of a hockey mad area and try to enjoy somewhat of a normal life.  Or, she freakin' hates the snow.

When it comes to people not wanting to play for the current team, don't think of the whackjob and the recluse, think of all of the guys who have re-signed!  I'd list them, but there is no need.  Yow know who they all are.  They ALL want to live and play in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

The bright lights of any hockey city is what hockey players sign up for when they make the NHL. It comes with the territory. I respect what he has done for the B's and he did honor his contract, I just think he is being a bit of a wussy about the whole going to a non traditional hockey market. Horton's camp can say what they want but if he signs with a team like Columbus then yes you can bet your a*s it is all about the money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Pretty disappointed to hear that Horton is really just in it for the money and the lifestyle. He blew hot and cold in Boston and turned in some good play off performances but in the end the Bs never won a Stanley Cup Final with him in the lineup.

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars?  Horton is no different than anyone else.  It's just that his job pays him a heck of a lot more than others do.

"Doesn't he have enough money?"  What is enough money?  Someone on welfare might look at someone who makes $50K as being exorbanantly rich.  "Why does that person use coupons?  Doesn't he have enough money?"  That's all up to the individual to decide.

As for the lifestyle:  He has earned the opportunity to live where he wants.  He has earned the opportunity to make his wife happy.  Why would he be somewhere he doesn't want to be if he can be somewhere he wants to be? 

He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid.

Well, that's the thing about opinions NAS. We're all allowed to have one whether you agree with it or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]Pretty disappointed to hear that Horton is really just in it for the money and the lifestyle. He blew hot and cold in Boston and turned in some good play off performances but in the end the Bs never won a Stanley Cup Final with him in the lineup.

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars? He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid. [/QUOTE]

This is the same crowd that thought Ray Allen betrayed Boston and the Celtics even though he was going to his 4th team. It's "matter of fact" palyers moving on when they become UFAs.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm in no way associated with 'the same crowd that thought Ray Allen betrayed Boston and the Celtics'. I don't even like baskeball. You obviously have me confused with someone else. I have never said or even thought that Horton has betrayed the Bruins or its fans. If he wants to move on and make some more money that's fine but where he wants to go sort of implies something about his attitude to the game. Am I heartbroken? Do I feel betrayed,angry or bitter? Absolutely not. But I am surprised and disappointed.  

Again, sorry I have expressed ideas and opinion which differs from yours but that's something we experience as we grow up. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Pretty disappointed to hear that Horton is really just in it for the money and the lifestyle. He blew hot and cold in Boston and turned in some good play off performances but in the end the Bs never won a Stanley Cup Final with him in the lineup.

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars?  Horton is no different than anyone else.  It's just that his job pays him a heck of a lot more than others do.

"Doesn't he have enough money?"  What is enough money?  Someone on welfare might look at someone who makes $50K as being exorbanantly rich.  "Why does that person use coupons?  Doesn't he have enough money?"  That's all up to the individual to decide.

As for the lifestyle:  He has earned the opportunity to live where he wants.  He has earned the opportunity to make his wife happy.  Why would he be somewhere he doesn't want to be if he can be somewhere he wants to be? 

He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid.

[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be so critical of myopic opinion and abstract conclusion, when you share that same quality yourself.  In this case, as in most, we don't have much inside information, so that's what we go on.

It's never appearred to be about money.  There's nothing to warrant that thinking, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to defend Horton's right to cash in.  There's nothing out there suggesting PC was expecting Horton to take a mil, or 5 less a year, since no one has been able to make any offers yet. 

I don't know where this "wife" stuff came from either.  It's been mentioned many times here, but I don't know of any validation there, except the wild speculation that because she's a hottie, she wants more time to work on her tan, or wears the pants.  Same with the kids.  Like every other city in North America, there are good and not so good neighborhoods to bring up kids.  My opinion would be that anyone using that, as a reason to leave town, would be hiding the real one.

As far as his right to choose, you're absolutely right, but so did Iginla amd I'm betting several of those sticking up for Horton here, were saying screw Jerome.  Where were you on that one?  Exactly the same thing.

Fact is, we all have our moments.  I'll suggest our idiocyncracies about these guys are largely shaped by our "personal likeability".  Horton was never one of my favorite Bruins, so I'm probably judging him more harshly than I would Krejci in the same position.

Count me in the disappointed category, and like everyone on the other side of the fence, I'm probably looking to validate, more than find reasons to change that opinion.

To me, Horton is another Ryder.  I don't think he really contributed any more to the B's Cup success, and he certainly took a lot of nights off.  I believe this hockey market cut him a ton of slack, and feel overall, his importance is over rated.  To me, wanting a quieter, more peaceful working environment flies in the face of being an NHL hockey player.  The paralell to him "choosing" a Nashville, doesn't fit to the same kind of individualism and spirit as Oliver Douglas choosing Hooterville.  It's fine, and completely normal to get tired of the media circus, and it's fine to chase the money.  But this is much different, and it goes against the whole DNA of virtually all North American hockey players.  Most live to compete, and all things being equal, having the choice to do that with one of the best teams in hockey trumps all.  Making those personal sacrifices to go deep in the playoffs for a monetary pittance should be looked as a windfall, not a professional nusance.

Although the "quieter" story is only rumour, it fits and somewhat validates my opinion that Horton is over rated and lazy.  The fact he doesn't want to play for Boston, is just bonus back up material. 

Nothing "wrong" or "stupid" with going either way on this one.  The only thing that can be wrong is the rationale. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, I never bashed Iginla for choosing Pittsburgh.

Maybe Horton really loved being free to live his life and play in the NHL, which he experienced in Florida.  Maybe he's hated living in Boston for every second he's been there.

You are correct that no one here knows.

To be disappointed in him for not wanting to play for the Bruins is illogical.  He has his choice.  He's free to choose whatever he wants.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

"Curious" would be a better word than "disappointed".  I can't think of one single reason he would want to leave besides money.  He has it all here - great organization, great teammates, great city, great fans.  It all goes back to the money to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Slight revision. I agree with NAS, he has a right to live where he wishes.  I also agree he was correct to tell the Bs he was going to be a UFA.  I do know I did not have the chance to leave my line of work early in my career.  It is the luxury decision Horton has a right to make.  Thanks Nathan.  Now who in the he!! is going to play right wing, Seguin?  I don't think so.  

Happy 4th to all you (North) Americans.  

In response to islamorada's comment:

Bingo!  Sometimes it is about the girly or partner!  Boston may not be her town. I wish I could afford such choices.  If this is the case, kiss off Horton.  Adalius Thomas comes to mind when pondering on such decision making. I cannot bear read what I just wrote. 

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back in Florida or even Raleigh, Red.

Carolina is a good guess. I'm told the arena is awesome. Players love it there.[/QUOTE]

Pretty area, cost of living inexpensive, winters are mild, great golf and houses are not very high, won't dent your wallet. Aaron Ward has always had good things to say about the area and organization.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

"Curious" would be a better word than "disappointed".  I can't think of one single reason he would want to leave besides money.  He has it all here - great organization, great teammates, great city, great fans.  It all goes back to the money to me.

Yep, you're right. That probably would would have been a better word.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Maybe Horton really loved being free to live his life and play in the NHL, which he experienced in Florida.  Maybe he's hated living in Boston for every second he's been there.

To be disappointed in him for not wanting to play for the Bruins is illogical.  He has his choice.  He's free to choose whatever he wants.

Not to argue, but it seems quite logical to me, when considering how illogical it is to be talking NHL hockey in July.  Those zany enough to be in this category have a heightened loyalty and love for the brand.  Despising Brad Park the Ranger, but coveting Brad Park the Bruin should be quite understandable to most of us, even though it's clinically laughable.  To be obsesively upset is ridiculous.  To flip Horton off, is very logical considering how illogical the overall fan experience is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

The bright lights of any hockey city is what hockey players sign up for when they make the NHL. It comes with the territory. I respect what he has done for the B's and he did honor his contract, I just think he is being a bit of a wussy about the whole going to a non traditional hockey market. Horton's camp can say what they want but if he signs with a team like Columbus then yes you can bet your a*s it is all about the money.

jp, perhaps some places (Nashville, Sunrise and Tampa, Columbus) provide more anonymity to players than locales where hockey is deep in the public consciousness.  Up here if Darcy Tucker had a hemorrhoid you could be sure to read about it in the The Toronto Star and Sun and hear quarterly updates on THE FAN 590.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Not to argue, but it seems quite logical to me, when considering how illogical it is to be talking NHL hockey in July.  Those zany enough to be in this category have a heightened loyalty and love for the brand.  Despising Brad Park the Ranger, but coveting Brad Park the Bruin should be quite understandable to most of us, even though it's clinically laughable.  To be obsesively upset is ridiculous.  To flip Horton off, is very logical considering how illogical the overall fan experience is.

steve - OT: got your message finally.  Thanks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Seriously, what is wrong with anyone who thinks this way?  Would you like an extra million dollars a year?  How about an extra five million dollars? He fulfilled his deal with the B's.  He's earned the right to do whatever he wants in regards to where he'll play.  To be disappointed in him for that is stupid.[/QUOTE]

This is the same crowd that thought Ray Allen betrayed Boston and the Celtics even though he was going to his 4th team. It's "matter of fact" palyers moving on when they become UFAs.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think Horton did the Bruins a favour by letting them know right away that he would be unlikely to return. Don't waste time trying to sign a player who doesn't want to be here. [/QUOTE]

Yep and allot of pro athletes will keep dancing with the courting GM as if there is still a chance. Horton did the right thing and then moved on.

"but that's something we experience as we grow up."

I don't see this in your comments about Horton, Hanrahan. He can do what he wants, when he wants as a UFA. Making accusations of what might have been the reason he is leaving sounds a bittter after he fufilled his contract.

And you shuld know by now it is always about the money and he will get more outside of Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

jp, perhaps some places (Nashville, Sunrise and Tampa, Columbus) provide more anonymity to players than locales where hockey is deep in the public consciousness.  Up here if Darcy Tucker had a hemorrhoid you could be sure to read about it in the The Toronto Star and Sun and hear quarterly updates on THE FAN 590.

[/QUOTE]

I agree and I know what your saying, I'm also from southern Ontario. That being said I am just surprised that Horton being a Dunville Ont. boy feels that he needs to be in a ''quiet and non traditional '' hockey market.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

No one is arguing anyones "right".  That's an inarguable point.  Horton has the right to go wherever he wants.

And we're getting nitpicky about descriptors.  Moving from Disappointed to Curious is being uneccesarily apologetic.  

It's about this little image in our mind, about what being a Bruin is, and yes, it's contrived, and fluffy, and juvenile and unimportant.  But it's what makes us "big fans' of the Bruins.  When one of these rich, entitled, pampered, athletes decides they really don't want to be a Bruin anymore....it conflicts that image somewhat. 

Choosing the high ground and wishing him well, is obviously the right thing, but then so is the notion that following NHL hockey is nothing more than mindless, trivial escapeism that really shouldn't occupy much time or thought.

I prefer not to be reminded of that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one is arguing anyones "right".  That's an inarguable point.  Horton has the right to go wherever he wants.

And we're getting nitpicky about descriptors.  Moving from Disappointed to Curious is being uneccesarily apologetic.  

It's about this little image in our mind, about what being a Bruin is, and yes, it's contrived, and fluffy, and juvenile and unimportant.  But it's what makes us "big fans' of the Bruins.  When one of these rich, entitled, pampered, athletes decides they really don't want to be a Bruin anymore....it conflicts that image somewhat. 

Choosing the high ground and wishing him well, is obviously the right thing, but then so is the notion that following NHL hockey is nothing more than mindless, trivial escapeism that really shouldn't occupy much time or thought.

No one knows the reason he has chosen to leave.  I am sure he loved being a Bruin.  I am sure he loved playing in the Garden on most nights.  There is just something else that is causing him to want to be elsewhere.  Maybe it's the microscope.  Maybe it's the media.  Maybe it's the cold.  Maybe it's the traffic.  Maybe it's Devalue Patrick.  Maybe he loves going to the beach and Revere just isn't cutting it.  There are a million and one possibilities.

I don't take it as a slight on the player.  Hell, I have lived in Boston for most of my life.  I'm moving to South Florida...and it's my choice!  Know why?  I'm sick of the snow, I'm sick of the cold, and I want a new adventure in life.  Plus, $20 Club seats at the BB&T can't be dismissed!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He is not leaving the team anyway. His contract is up and he is currently looking for another one.

Does it reallly matter "why" he chose not to sign another contract with Boston?

He wants to sign in a quieter locale (he better hope his team does not go on a cup run or he might get some unwanted media coverage, but I digress) and it is his right to chose from those available to him.

Such is the life of a professional hockey player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Guarenteed his wife wants to move back to Florida.  Why not make her happy, live in the sun, make more money than with the B's and enjoy life?  Can't blame him.  He already has a cup too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

No one knows the reason he has chosen to leave.  I am sure he loved being a Bruin.  I am sure he loved playing in the Garden on most nights.  There is just something else that is causing him to want to be elsewhere.  Maybe it's the microscope.  Maybe it's the media.  Maybe it's the cold.  Maybe it's the traffic.  Maybe it's Devalue Patrick.  Maybe he loves going to the beach and Revere just isn't cutting it.  There are a million and one possibilities.

I don't take it as a slight on the player.  Hell, I have lived in Boston for most of my life.  I'm moving to South Florida...and it's my choice!  Know why?  I'm sick of the snow, I'm sick of the cold, and I want a new adventure in life.  Plus, $20 Club seats at the BB&T can't be dismissed!

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I think that's great, and I wish you all the best.  Wish I had that option.  If you were one of my favorite Bruins though...............

I hadn't thought of Devalue Patrick, and now that you've reminded me, I'll move a little closer to your side.
    Seriously though,... you're right.  I'm just content being a little chippy in these area's.  I'll always be a bit of a fan of anyone who "didn't" leave the B's by choice.  An example,  Ferrence is easy to warm to.   Horton reminds me it's merely a business.  I'm fully aware of that, just don't enjoy being reminded that often.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

As a GM, would I want that laidback attitude on my team, when he'll be one of the better paid guys, and looked at as somewhat of a leader? On the B's, he's surrounded by top level leaders and skilled players. On a lesser team, his lack of drive will show up regularly but no one will write it in the local papers.

I like Nathan, and wish he'd stay a Bruin, but he'll be costly, and in the Cap world, a guy that isn't driven, along with his Injury/concussion issues could be a real liability. 

Maybe it's all a misunderstanding of his intentions, but as a GM I wouldn't pay a lot for him. 

Bruins Fan here. Don't try to understand, just accept it.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be so critical of myopic opinion and abstract conclusion, when you share that same quality yourself.  In this case, as in most, we don't have much inside information, so that's what we go on.

It's never appearred to be about money.  There's nothing to warrant that thinking, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to defend Horton's right to cash in.  There's nothing out there suggesting PC was expecting Horton to take a mil, or 5 less a year, since no one has been able to make any offers yet. 

I don't know where this "wife" stuff came from either.  It's been mentioned many times here, but I don't know of any validation there, except the wild speculation that because she's a hottie, she wants more time to work on her tan, or wears the pants.  Same with the kids.  Like every other city in North America, there are good and not so good neighborhoods to bring up kids.  My opinion would be that anyone using that, as a reason to leave town, would be hiding the real one.

As far as his right to choose, you're absolutely right, but so did Iginla amd I'm betting several of those sticking up for Horton here, were saying screw Jerome.  Where were you on that one?  Exactly the same thing.

Fact is, we all have our moments.  I'll suggest our idiocyncracies about these guys are largely shaped by our "personal likeability".  Horton was never one of my favorite Bruins, so I'm probably judging him more harshly than I would Krejci in the same position.

Count me in the disappointed category, and like everyone on the other side of the fence, I'm probably looking to validate, more than find reasons to change that opinion.

To me, Horton is another Ryder.  I don't think he really contributed any more to the B's Cup success, and he certainly took a lot of nights off.  I believe this hockey market cut him a ton of slack, and feel overall, his importance is over rated.  To me, wanting a quieter, more peaceful working environment flies in the face of being an NHL hockey player.  The paralell to him "choosing" a Nashville, doesn't fit to the same kind of individualism and spirit as Oliver Douglas choosing Hooterville.  It's fine, and completely normal to get tired of the media circus, and it's fine to chase the money.  But this is much different, and it goes against the whole DNA of virtually all North American hockey players.  Most live to compete, and all things being equal, having the choice to do that with one of the best teams in hockey trumps all.  Making those personal sacrifices to go deep in the playoffs for a monetary pittance should be looked as a windfall, not a professional nusance.

Although the "quieter" story is only rumour, it fits and somewhat validates my opinion that Horton is over rated and lazy.  The fact he doesn't want to play for Boston, is just bonus back up material. 

Nothing "wrong" or "stupid" with going either way on this one.  The only thing that can be wrong is the rationale. 

[/QUOTE]

His wife and kids live in Florida year round Steve so it's not much of a stretch to assume that might be a factor in his decision making process. He played out his contract in full so he earned the right to decide in any was he sees fit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nothing wrong with horton wanting to move on.  Think of all the fench canadians that avoid playing in montrea. Or toronto kids avoiding the leafs.  

Horton wants to go about his business, hit the rink, go to the beach after and have no one know who he is.   

Horton did his time hear, won a cup, played hard.   I said way back he would accept a home town discount bc this very well could be his last contract.  

Predictions for horton

1.  Tbay cleared off vinny.  I see them as front runners.  

2.  He gets a ntc.  

3.  He will be injured for a lot of his next deal.  

4.  He will be grossly over paid.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Nothing wrong with horton wanting to move on.  Think of all the fench canadians that avoid playing in montrea. Or toronto kids avoiding the leafs.  

Horton wants to go about his business, hit the rink, go to the beach after and have no one know who he is.   

Horton did his time hear, won a cup, played hard.   I said way back he would accept a home town discount bc this very well could be his last contract.  

Predictions for horton

1.  Tbay cleared off vinny.  I see them as front runners.  

2.  He gets a ntc.  

3.  He will be injured for a lot of his next deal.  

4.  He will be grossly over paid.  

I hope that is not the case Shupe for Horton's sake..... Horton seems like a nice guy... heard or read that his team mates said he was a great teammate. This guy was clutch for the B's in playoff runs as we all know ... Will always remember his Game 7's  heroics in 2011.. Without him scoring those thrillers we don't have a Cup.. Who will ever forget him spraying the Vancouver ice prior to Game 7 with Boston ice....Did his time, fullfilled his duties, knows the Bruins can't afford him, so he decides to test the open market looking for one last big contract , and some people on here are banging on this guy... Unreal!   Good Luck to Horton and his family... Seems to me he has his priorities in order...