Horton still out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Horton still out

Is anyone starting to get worried? 

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/nathan-horton-remains-out-as-he-continues-to-experience-concussion-symptoms.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Horton still out

In Response to Horton still out:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone starting to get worried?  http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/nathan-horton-remains-out-as-he-continues-to-experience-concussion-symptoms.html
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]
    I started to worry as soon as I saw the hit. I was happy to see he felt good enough to go after Sestito but knew that he took pretty good whack to the noggin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

He might be out longer than we expect, but there is no way the B's rush him back. I'm o.k with that, lets see Sauve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Yeah, I agree Jalvis, this doesn't sound good. I just hope he's okay for the playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Age is on Horton's side for now but yah I'm concerned if he takes another one and there goes that right handed shot you need. I say rest Nathan as much as he needs and that goes with the thinking that the Bruins might just go .500 without him. That's fine because you have to win road games in the playoffs anyways.

50, A well placed elbow by knuckle dragging yard ape Cam Paddock has Sauve nursing a concussion right now. Even if Sauve went on a tear after he comes back I don't think PC would jeopardize a 3rd concussion this year for Max. So you won't see Sauve anytime soon he's at Savard's house helping judge turtle races right now. Concussions are an freakin epidemic these last couple of years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Horton still out:
    [QUOTE]Age is on Horton's side for now but yah I'm concerned if he takes another one and there goes that right handed shot you need. I say rest Nathan as much as he needs and that goes with the thinking that the Bruins might just go .500 without him. That's fine because you have to win road games in the playoffs anyways. 50, A well placed elbow by knuckle dragging yard ape Cam Paddock has Sauve nursing a concussion right now. Even if Sauve went on a tear after he comes back I don't think PC would jeopardize a 3rd concussion this year for Max. So you won't see Sauve anytime soon he's at Savard's house helping judge turtle races right now. Concussions are an freakin epidemic these last couple of years.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Sorry to hear about that. I still think Max has a chance, if only as a penalty killer, because of his speed. Like Paille, but with better hands ?I hope these concussions, one after the other, don't derail his chance. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I have been worried about Horton all season.  On these boards several threads have been started about him not doing enough.  All season long, I see him on the ice giving a solid effort and not getting the results.  When these guys are coming back from their concussions, at least in my experiece watching the B's, they are coming back at 70-75% with a much greater chance of reinjuring themselves.  I worry about Horton going down the same path as Savard and I still worry about Bergy quite a bit.  When Bergy got his last concussion against Philly, I thought his career was over. 

I think these high grade concussions, especially when there is more then one concussion in a short period of time, deserve mandatory periods of time on the LTIR.  I don't know exactly what time frame would be apppropriate but maybe, anyone who has two major concussions in a short period would be forced to spend 6 mos on LTIR. 

I know it seems harsh.  I know we would lose Horton for the rest of the season but these Men have lives, wives, children.  It is to great a risk and the option should be taken out of their hands, or anyone elses who is paid by the organization.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Its funny how a concussion can affect you in many ways. I suffered 2 playing hockey the first one i had no choice but to leave the game and the 2nd one, i went to the bench and continued playing but i thought i was playing broomball. After that game ihad a beer with the boys and drove home, not remembering any of it. A few days later i was ok.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I suffered a concussion (didn't know it at the time) in 1990, playing shinny hockey - no helmet. Fell backwards into the boards hitting the back of my head so hard I didn't feel the pain until about ten minutes later.

I didn't suffer any headaches, but I was sensitive to light, sound, movement and suffered dizzy spells for months at a time for 4 years. Symptom free the next three years, and still get recurrences every couple of years.

My last occurence was three months ago for about 4 days. It is now almost 22 years later and I never feel completely clear, always thinking a recurrence might be just around the corner.

Now you all know why, at times, I may seem crazy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I too had a few injuries both work related and sports:

Playing high school football on a kick off return got hit so hard it knock out my bottom filling that was just put in a week before Dr. said football season is over with this year age 17.

Construction work a cinder block wall collapse taking me with it with the scaffolding that i was standing on with it. 4 fracture ribs, hairline crack in pelvis and head injury from hitting the concrete floor good thing my shoulder took the first initial contact. age 39 Dr. told me no more blows to to your head so I am very cautious

No major injuries for ten years but I got retrain to be nurses aid / orderly in a long term care facility home PT work.

Horton injury  or any other players or people getting injuries regarding head, neck or spine I can  feel sympathy for their emotions and pain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Sad to hear orr4neely8. Keep fighting! If we don't fight - it is all over.

I, too, feel for what is in store for Savard, Bergeron, Krejci and Horton in the years to come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Hope he can get healthy soon. I fear though, with the Rome hit last year, it's set him on a "one more big hit could turn him into the next Savard". And as long as players don't respect each other.........it's a definite possibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Bump.

"Claude Julien confirmed Nathan Horton did have a "setback" while attempting to skate other day. Headaches returned, he's been pulled back."  -  @HackswithHaggs

Not good.  Not good at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Why does it seem that the Bruins have a disproportionate number of players that have had serious concussions.

It's probably a coincidence, but seems strange when you consider:
    Krecji, Horton, Savard and Bergeron (have i msised any in recent memory).

You have to worry about the long-term impact on these guys.

I have to say I was surprised that Horton came back when he did after that hit last year.  I mean when you play it back ; wasn't it one of hte  scariest things you've ever seen watching how Hortan collapsed to the ice in almost slow motion, with his arm hanging in mid-air then slowly following down as well.  It hurt my stomach to see that.

When will the NHL get rid of the suits of armour that players wear these days......?  It's an absolute joke.  I can't understand, for the life of me, why the NHLPA isn't more viglante when it comes to this issue.  They are supposed to be protecting the players and they seem to play lip service to this problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Why does it seem that the Bruins have a disproportionate number of players that have had serious concussions. It's probably a coincidence, but seems strange when you consider: Krecji, Horton, Savard and Bergeron (have i msised any in recent memory).
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

And it's strange because I believe that the Bruins handle concussions as well as any team in the league and value their players' condition ahead of the team's goals.  Kudos to them!

Here's to hoping that Horty and Savard recover soon and that Krec and Bergy never get another one!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Shut him down and put him on LTIR so he can rest. Nathan doesn't need to be another Savard or Primeau (sp?). I trust PC will do this and it would be smart because he then would have like a prorated $20M at he deadline to play with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

First and foremost is Horton's recovery and health. Concussions, as we've all read/discussed are injuries that respond differently in each case. That's why there is no set pattern beyond the current program which Horton is following. I'm in favor of a longer restriction, as it has seemed to help Bergie in his recovery. Out for most of the year; rest and slow return; did not show as much in his first year back; now shows how solid he can be. With that in mind, it may be Chiarelli's plan to seek a higher skilled defenseman first, followed by a more skilled forward. Peverly/Kelly/Lucic; Seguin/Bergeron/Marchand; are two quality lines, even though Kelly and Pevs are not considered top scorers. Kreji provides a solid/skilled base for the third line; Caron plays a strong up and down wing with more effectiveness in each game; Pouliot is still a work in progress but very inconsistent. The Campbell line is what it is until Claude decides to add more skill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]Shut him down and put him on LTIR so he can rest. Nathan doesn't need to be another Savard or Primeau (sp?). I trust PC will do this and it would be smart because he then would have like a prorated $20M at he deadline to play with.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

When you say shut him down, do you mean shut him down for the rest of the season, or merely an extended period.  I believe he should be shut down for the rest of the season.  I'm not a doctor, but I cannot imagine an argument that would change my mind on this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Horton still out:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Horton still out : When you say shut him down, do you mean shut him down for the rest of the season, or merely an extended period.  I believe he should be shut down for the rest of the season.  Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

Yes like the late great Joe Frazier at the end of the 14th during tha Thrilla told Eddie Futch "Shut it down".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

First off, this is not good news for Horton's health and well being.  Wish the guy progress in the coming days.

Second, huge impact to the top-9.  Peverley can swing to the top line, but what a gaping hole has been left on the third line.  Said differently, Peverley can adequately skate Horton's spot, but nobody has shown the capability to skate Peverley's spot.

Third, has anyone seen a decent replay of this hit?  The only one I have seen is from a camera angle behind Horton.  Looks like the hit is high, but hard to see where the contact actually is.  Safe to assume this play knocks Horton out of action, what was Shanahan's position on this one?  Since B's fans are not cry-baby Nucks fans or Sabre goalies the hit seemed to get a little under-played out here.

Finally, in PC I trust to do what he needs to do to get the roster in a good spot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Yes, I'm very worried for his long-term health.

And still shocked there was no suspension for the hit!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]First off, this is not good news for Horton's health and well being.  Wish the guy progress in the coming days. Second, huge impact to the top-9.  Peverley can swing to the top line, but what a gaping hole has been left on the third line.  Said differently, Peverley can adequately skate Horton's spot, but nobody has shown the capability to skate Peverley's spot. Third, has anyone seen a decent replay of this hit?  The only one I have seen is from a camera angle behind Horton.  Looks like the hit is high, but hard to see where the contact actually is.  Safe to assume this play knocks Horton out of action, what was Shanahan's position on this one?  Since B's fans are not cry-baby Nucks fans or Sabre goalies the hit seemed to get a little under-played out here. Finally, in PC I trust to do what he needs to do to get the roster in a good spot.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Shanahan on it: https://twitter.com/#!/NHLShanahan/status/161961839465472001

For the best view I've seen:
    Start at 0:40.

I'm not sure he hit the head at all.  A little late, a little high (clavicle height by my estimate) but neither enough to warrant suspension.  Huge bummer that Horton ended up injured.  Might not have been just from the hit.  Could have been from the whole sequence of that hit, then being shoved in the back after his retaliation, and the pop he took to the face in the scrum.  His head was jostled a good bit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Horton still out : Shanahan on it:  https://twitter.com/#!/NHLShanahan/status/161961839465472001 For the best view I've seen: http://youtu.be/Al0Oh3g_CPY?hd=1 Start at 0:40. I'm not sure he hit the head at all.  A little late, a little high (clavicle height by my estimate) but neither enough to warrant suspension.  Huge bummer that Horton ended up injured.  Might not have been just from the hit.  Could have been from the whole sequence of that hit, then being shoved in the back after his retaliation, and the pop he took to the face in the scrum.  His head was jostled a good bit.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Thanks DrCC.  It still seems like that video angle is inconclusive. 

To Shanny: Do players normally suffer concussions from body checks to the shoulder?  What video angle do you have access to that the public does not have?  Nathan Horton didn't like like the Sestito hit, he immediately followed up with him, did you see that?  In the Marchand "predatory hit scenario" Sami Salo threw his stick in anger, did that influence your decision?

Horton has missed 6 games with a concussion already, we can expect that he will miss many more. How do Bruins fans reconcile that the Sesitio hit is a cousin of the Cooke hit on Savard? Shanahan has done a poor job.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

On the bright side if he ends up going down the savy path its even more money we could use that wouldnt count on the cap.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts