Horton??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Horton??

Did Horton get benched, or hurt? Didn't see him out there much in the 3rd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Horton??

CJ never benches anyone.. regardless of their play.. only Kessel back in the day when he didn't like him... Frankly until Horton came alive in the Atlanta game with a fight he hasn't done much lately.. maybe he is nursing some minor injury .. who knows.. But I think Florida fans have seen this type of disinterested play a lot in the past and Bruin fans have started to see it as well.. Guy doesn't come to play every night..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Horton is trying. But needs someone to feed him the puck. Lucic instead of trying to do this , is trying to personal keep his goal totals up. Also Savard who could feed anyone back in the day is not the same player anymore. 

I'd like Savard to Centre lucic and Seguin and try to place Horton with Recchi and Bergeron

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Horton hasn't been fighting for the puck on every play. Savard has most certainly been putting passes on Nathan's stick but then there is a shot to the emblem of the goalie. I'm officially worried about Horton's play like he is nursing an injury as he just doesn't seem right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Yeah, both Horton and Seguin sat from the half-way point of the third. Why not? Tie game, save your sharpshooters for the shootout.??? Why try to win in regulation.

Bruins lucked out on the late penalty call, or Julien may have wound up with egg on his face.

I think Julien is starting to feel the heat (either from Neely or Chiarelli). He is playing much too close to the vest for the past three weeks. He is causing the team to be tentative both offensively and defensively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Horton??:
    Posted by nitemare-38

Honestly, I didn't see him much all game.  Was there someone else playing right wing in the third period, or was Horton just invisible? 

As far as Savard, he is coming around slowly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

In Response to Re: Horton??:
    Horton is trying. But needs someone to feed him the puck. Lucic instead of trying to do this , is trying to personal keep his goal totals up. 
    Posted by yaz16

Looch thinks he's a sniper when he's really just a shooter. The line would work much better if Looch would be that big presence in front and let Horton be the sniper. It seems more and more like Lucic and Horton ought to be on separate lines.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I know they double shifted Lucic onto Bergy's line with Seguin being held back. Let the other lines produce and Horton will get his chances again. Right that line is playing the other teams top checkers. Maybe Julien gives hom a better look on the PP to get him going?
    As for Seguin I just hope he doesn't get scratched.  He has one thing going for him and that's the coach not touching a winning lineup. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Horton?? : Looch thinks he's a sniper when he's really just a shooter. The line would work much better if Looch would be that big presence in front and let Horton be the sniper. It seems more and more like Lucic and Horton ought to be on separate lines.
    Posted by Dave24

this has crossed my mind.  Good point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

i dont believe he played after tampa's 3rd goal. played just over 11 minutes in game 
    was at game in south florida and he didnt show much there either. doesn't finish hits or take puck to net enough.

talked with some florida fans, they said he took way to many nights. but occasionally be the best player on the ice for a game. 

he's been a 2nd line player and i dont see that changing. he'll probably finish with 25-28 goals and 55-60 points.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was wondering the same thing.  I was expecting to see an injury report.  I don't think he played much at all in the third period.  Seguin didn't either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

i dont believe he played after tampa's 3rd goal. played just over 11 minutes in game  was at game in south florida and he didnt show much there either. doesn't finish hits or take puck to net enough. talked with some florida fans, they said he took way to many nights. but occasionally be the best player on the ice for a game.  he's been a 2nd line player and i dont see that changing. he'll probably finish with 25-28 goals and 55-60 points.
    Posted by chitownBruinfan

This was one of the concerns I had when the B's traded for him.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I hope someone lights a fire under him soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Horton may or may not be nursing an injury, but I will also say that I have seen him closely checked in the games. He also rarely shoots into the emblem of the other team's goalie. His shots that are just missing don't count as shots, just the same as shots that hit the post. He is a sniper, but also might be rushing his shot just a bit...stats can be misleading. How may posts has he hit over the past two weeks alone? He scores a couple and everyone is off his back...
    Doc

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Yeah, I think he's definitely not 100 pct right now. I also think that after Krejci went down with his concussion Horton changed his game to more of a playmaker and he needs to go back to shooting. maybe an upper body injury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uvguy07. Show uvguy07's posts

mattc agree with you 100% try Seguin with Lucic/Savard and put Horton with Bergeron/Recchi. Need to get both of those players going.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I think more players nurse injuries that aren't serious enough to keep them out but are nagging enough to affect their game than we realize.

I still give Joe Thornton (who most Bruins fans seem to think is a bum just b/c he hasn't single-handedly led the Sharks to a Cup and didn't do same for the B's) a ton of credit for never whining about the cracked ribs he was playing with when the B's lost to the Habs in the el foldo of 2004. He played hard but was clearly hampered by the injury--which wasn't disclosed til well after it was all over--and then took the blame from all the "expert" hockey writers and fans who made him the scapegoat and said he lacked "heart".

My reason for bringing this up in relation to Horton is that it could be Horton is not 100%, but all the talk that this mini-slump he's in is proof that he is the same "heartless" or "indifferent" player that Florida gave up on is, IMO, nonsense. Did those early games in the year when he carried the rest of the offense on his back not count? Did those points he helped the team rack up not matter?

Clearly, the guy has talent. Clearly, he has a wicked shot. If he's not getting that shot off enough it's likely a combination of factors, which could include injury he's nagged by--or perhaps just that his minutes are being cut back by Claude as they were last night and he's therefore not getting as much opportunity to score.

It drives me a little nuts when CJ holds back player minutes (Seguin especially) for reasons that seem unclear, but I'm not a pro coach and he is. Did he see a "lack of effort" from Horton and/or Seguin and was punishing them w/less ice time? If so that seems a stupid message to send at the expense of possibly using their talents to win the game for the team.

Or maybe he's seeing something else entirely--including injuries that tells him the player is a liability on the ice. (This seems less likely to me b/c then--why not sit him for the game entirely?)

I'm a believer that Horton for Wideman was a good trade for the B's. They needed another sniper (and they still need yet another). But writing Horton off would be premature in my opinion. Try him w/some other combos if he's not clicking w/the current line, but don't start "dog-housing" this guy or the next thing you know he'll be shipped out for a lesser player and a bag of pucks like another certain guy who these days plays in San Jose these days, while the leftovers the bruins have from that trade are.....ummmm....nobody.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Horton?? : Looch thinks he's a sniper when he's really just a shooter. The line would work much better if Looch would be that big presence in front and let Horton be the sniper. It seems more and more like Lucic and Horton ought to be on separate lines.
    Posted by Dave24

Absolutely.  Why would the guy with the fourth highest shooting percentage in the league take more shots?  (Lucic is behind Giroux, Stamkos, and Crosby...)  Doesn't he know that there's a sniper on his line who scores on 7% fewer of his shots but who has been labelled a "goalscorer"?

Better split them up.  Between them, they've only had the best chemistry on the team (until Horton checked out).

This is entirely off the top of my head, but between them, Horton and Lucic score goals all the ways Brett Hull did.  Horton is the Bobby's son side of Brett - hard, heavy, accurate shot with the speed to change angles, shooting lanes, etc. He can dangle, he can take the puck to the net.  Lucic is the guy who shoots from odd angles, gets those unexpected, hard to read zips, the off-speed ones that goalies overplay, and the garbage.  If they combine for 70-85 goals, I'm fine with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Horton and Savard sat for about seven minutes last night because they were on the for two of the goals agaisnt IIRC. Savards timing is still off, Horton I don't think has clicked with Savard yet and this is causing problems.

In Response to Horton??:
    Posted by nitemare-38

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If Horton was truly benched for floating then how did Ryder play all of last year? Is he offensively challenged now or is the system just plain boring with perimeter play?  More players need to be benched for not creating offensive opportunities as well, like Savard.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Given that we know a flu or virus is going through the locker room, I'm not going to jump on Horton too much if he keeps generating assist and don't forget he played in the SE his whole career until this fall, Vinny, and St Louis both know him damned well and would know how to exploit him.

If Horton was truly benched for floating then how did Ryder play all of last year? Is he offensively challenged now or is the system just plain boring with perimeter play?  More players need to be benched for not creating offensive opportunities as well, like Savard.  
    Posted by islamorada

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The old saying that your only as good as who you play with falls in place here. Lucic is not playing like he started the yr, savard is not on track yet and horton looks lost. You take these 2 wingers away from krecji to get wheeler and ryder going, you sacrifice offense from them. I do think and hope that will change soon, but also if its a flu bug hitting a few on this team they will overcome that. If its a minor injury per say horton or lucic then CJ should be shot playing them back to back games. That 2 points isnt worth risking more serious injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

We all jump on Julien for not shortening his bench late in tight games, then he goes ahead and does it and we jump on him anyway. Simply put: Horton and Seguin were not as effective as Recchi and Lucic last night. Seguin had one too many sweep-checks and wasn't strong on the puck along the boards. Horton looked snake-bit. They will both be fine; bad games happen for a number of reasons (nicked up, flu, whatever).

So in a tight game, with the the 3rd and 4th lines were doing fine, CJ shortens the bench for the top 2 lines and plays Lucic with Bergeron/Recchi a few shifts the second half of the 3rd period. No big deal...we should be glad he's paying attention and put his difference-makers out there. Maybe it'll light a fire with Seguin and Horton, or maybe they just had off nights and needed to sit a few shifts. Either way, a good coaching move at the time and expect things to be back to normal Thursday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Horton?? : Absolutely.  Why would the guy with the fourth highest shooting percentage in the league take more shots?  (Lucic is behind Giroux, Stamkos, and Crosby...)  Doesn't he know that there's a sniper on his line who scores on 7% fewer of his shots but who has been labelled a "goalscorer"? Better split them up.  Between them, they've only had the best chemistry on the team (until Horton checked out). This is entirely off the top of my head, but between them, Horton and Lucic score goals all the ways Brett Hull did.  Horton is the Bobby's son side of Brett - hard, heavy, accurate shot with the speed to change angles, shooting lanes, etc. He can dangle, he can take the puck to the net.  Lucic is the guy who shoots from odd angles, gets those unexpected, hard to read zips, the off-speed ones that goalies overplay, and the garbage.  If they combine for 70-85 goals, I'm fine with that.
    Posted by Bookboy007

And Lucic's shooting % has been helped by his empty net goals .  30% of his scoring to date comes from the empty net goals.
    I don't want them split up as their chemistry will return shortly what I agreed with the poster above and had crossed my mind when the Bruins were not winning .  Lucic was shooting from the outside too often instead of hanging on to the puck trying to create some chances and a cycle (the way they did in the first 10 games). 
    Horton needs time to find the open spaces but if the puck is weak on net and as soon as it goes in into the offensive zone it comes out they cannot be effective , especially big bodies like Horton and Lucic.
    We can see Savard coming around and still needs some getting used with his 2 wingers.  Right now all the teams are taking this line as the number one unit therefore Savvy will get attention from the other teams best defensive checker.
    As soon as the other lines make teams pay then we'll start seeing more space for the 1st line.
    This impatience on pointing out 1 player does drive me crazy though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

We all jump on Julien for not shortening his bench late in tight games, then he goes ahead and does it and we jump on him anyway. Simply put: Horton and Seguin were not as effective as Recchi and Lucic last night. Seguin had one too many sweep-checks and wasn't strong on the puck along the boards. Horton looked snake-bit. They will both be fine; bad games happen for a number of reasons (nicked up, flu, whatever). So in a tight game, with the the 3rd and 4th lines were doing fine, CJ shortens the bench for the top 2 lines and plays Lucic with Bergeron/Recchi a few shifts the second half of the 3rd period. No big deal...we should be glad he's paying attention and put his difference-makers out there. Maybe it'll light a fire with Seguin and Horton, or maybe they just had off nights and needed to sit a few shifts. Either way, a good coaching move at the time and expect things to be back to normal Thursday.
    Posted by asmaha

You hit it dead on asmaha !

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm actually elated to see CJ FINALLY have some insight & gumption to actually start sitting BOTH vets & rookie's! Has he finally seen the light? Or is his head in a guillotine & he figured he better start making some "DECISIONS ON THE FLY" YAYYYYY!!

Sections
Shortcuts