How about Thomas to Nashville

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

How about Thomas to Nashville

The Preds are under the cap floor, but in reality are spending a ton of money. Sure wouldn't hurt to have a guy they don't have to pay a dime to that will take up 5 mill in cap room.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: How about Thomas to Nashville

sounds good, but nothing will happen until there is a new CBA because the 35+rule may be gone. Also, Thomas may decide to play after taking the summer off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I know we've beat this one to death, but I can actually see Thomas trying to play again at the deadline....or at minimum indicating to PC that he's ready and that's when the trade scenarios kick in. Somebody will see him as a valuable piece. I can imagine San Jose, Chicago or St. Louis playing well but being held back by goaltending.

Heck, an injury or avergae play by Howard and the hometown Detroit could take a bite. Point is, there are lots of Western Conf teams with goalie issues and Thomas could be seen as the answer come the trade deadline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

st louis has too much goaltending is anything, and san jose is in love with neimi 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville:
    I know we've beat this one to death, but I can actually see Thomas trying to play again at the deadline....or at minimum indicating to PC that he's ready and that's when the trade scenarios kick in. Somebody will see him as a valuable piece. I can imagine San Jose, Chicago or St. Louis playing well but being held back by goaltending. Heck, an injury or avergae play by Howard and the hometown Detroit could take a bite. Point is, there are lots of Western Conf teams with goalie issues and Thomas could be seen as the answer come the trade deadline.
    Posted by asmaha

By after the deadline you mean 12/21/12, right?

JK, I can also see him trying to slip in and take a team through the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : Wow, if that jackazz decided after all this BS he was going to show up at the rink with his bag over his shoulder and that stupid pillbox hat on, declaring. "OK, I'm ready to play now," that would totally ruin my 2013.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

And with all these trade scenarios being bantered about, one has to think about the GMs of these teams thinking: "Do I really want this flake on our team?"

Is TT, by virtue of his behaviour over the past year, untradeable?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

TT the player? yes. From what I've heard theres been very little interest around the league even before this nonsense. TT the contract that takes up cap room that you don't have to pay? that is tradeable 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Phoenix might be a more likely destination for TT, at least compared to Nashville (if he gets traded).

Phoenix has cap space of approx $25,360,000 with 22 players signed. Nashville has cap space of approx $16,488,000 with 21 players signed.

http://capgeek.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

TT the player? yes. From what I've heard theres been very little interest around the league even before this nonsense. TT the contract that takes up cap room that you don't have to pay? that is tradeable 
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

there was little interest because i doubt very much that the B'S were actively shopping TT....  as for a team trading just to get TT's salary on board, that ain't happening....

also, Nashville has over 53 mil. spent....  i think they're past the floor.... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Considering the Preds have to pay Weber $27 million in the next 13 months, no way are they going to take on extra salary. It's not the cap that this team focuses on but what they ultimately pay out. Not going to happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thomas to anywhere but here, the sooner the better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

JMwalters and days-off-orr...i'll try to explain this so there is no confusion.

The Bruins, in this scenario, would NOT, repeat, NOT be trading SALARY to nashville. They would be trading a contract, but players suspended in the way that Thomas would be suspended don't get paid, but because of the 35+ rule the cap hit is still on the books. To reiterate, the team that has Thomas will have 5 million on the cap, but that team will NOT have to pay his salary.

Right now, the Preds are below the cap floor of 54.3 million.....we on the same page now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

JMwalters and days-off-orr...i'll try to explain this so there is no confusion. The Bruins, in this scenario, would NOT, repeat, NOT be trading SALARY to nashville. They would be trading a contract, but players suspended in the way that Thomas would be suspended don't get paid, but because of the 35+ rule the cap hit is still on the books. To reiterate, the team that has Thomas will have 5 million on the cap, but that team will NOT have to pay his salary. Right now, the Preds are below the cap floor of 54.3 million.....we on the same page now?
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

I get what you are saying but it is based on the presumption TT does, in fact, take the year off. He is still free to change his mind. I am sure the Preds do not want to have to deal with this mess. Nor do they have the cash to actually pay him should Thomas decide to lace them up after all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : And with all these trade scenarios being bantered about, one has to think about the GMs of these teams thinking: "Do I really want this flake on our team?" Is TT, by virtue of his behaviour over the past year, untradeable?
    Posted by 49-North

If a team is willing to take a chance on Avery,after all he had done,i'm sure they would with TT.It's all about winning."Leaky" Lu on the other hand might be untradable,huge anchor of a contract,questionable goaltending and has his heart set on joining the pro poker tour.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : I get what you are saying but it is based on the presumption TT does, in fact, take the year off. He is still free to change his mind. I am sure the Preds do not want to have to deal with this mess. Nor do they have the cash to actually pay him should Thomas decide to lace them up after all.
    Posted by jmwalters

let's say they make a trade....for a 5th rounder. He says he's playing this season and he's in shape the preds trade him to a team for a 2nd rounder in 5 minutes. the fact that they don't have cash to pay him is WHY he's perfect for them. are you sure you get what i'm saying?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : let's say they make a trade....for a 5th rounder. He says he's playing this season and he's in shape the preds trade him to a team for a 2nd rounder in 5 minutes. the fact that they don't have cash to pay him is WHY he's perfect for them. are you sure you get what i'm saying?
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

Presuming this will in fact occur......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

.....and if it doesn't happen the preds are still thrilled. wow. you haven't gotten this yet. THEY WOULDN'T WANT HIM TO PLAY. Right now, in dollar amounts, they are spending more than the cap for this season, but they are below the cap floor (check the numbers, i might be off a little on that, but it's close, but i'm too lazy to do the math). If they have possession of Thomas contract, than they have 5 million in cap hit, and pay exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents. Cap hit. no salary. Cap hit, no salary. Cap hit, no salary. 

If they trade for Thomas, two things can happen - 1. he doesn't play, they don't pay him, he takes up cap room - good for preds. 2. he plays, his value increases, they trade him to a team needing a goalie and get more value back than they traded to begin with. 

i really don't know how else to make it clear

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

.....and if it doesn't happen the preds are still thrilled. wow. you haven't gotten this yet. THEY WOULDN'T WANT HIM TO PLAY. Right now, in dollar amounts, they are spending more than the cap for this season, but they are below the cap floor (check the numbers, i might be off a little on that, but it's close, but i'm too lazy to do the math). If they have possession of Thomas contract, than they have 5 million in cap hit, and pay exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents. Cap hit. no salary. Cap hit, no salary. Cap hit, no salary.  If they trade for Thomas, two things can happen - 1. he doesn't play, they don't pay him, he takes up cap room - good for preds. 2. he plays, his value increases, they trade him to a team needing a goalie and get more value back than they traded to begin with.  i really don't know how else to make it clear
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

My point is that you seem to presume that trading a $5 million 40 year old goalie with attitude problems is so easy to do. If this were the case PC would have unloaded him with ease months ago. Your scenario does not take into account that if TT does decide to play the Preds will have to actually pay him if they can't trade him, a risk they would not likely take.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

right....because there aren't any teams that would want a two time vezina, one time conn smythe winner who is owed 3 million dollars and 5 on the cap for very little in return....ya, that makes sense

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

right....because there aren't any teams that would want a two time vezina, one time conn smythe winner who is owed 3 million dollars and 5 on the cap for very little in return....ya, that makes sense
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

Too much risk for one of the most conservative cash conscious teams in the league who just literally blew their load on Weber. I could see the Islanders doing this, however.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

JMwalters and days-off-orr...i'll try to explain this so there is no confusion. The Bruins, in this scenario, would NOT, repeat, NOT be trading SALARY to nashville. They would be trading a contract, but players suspended in the way that Thomas would be suspended don't get paid, but because of the 35+ rule the cap hit is still on the books. To reiterate, the team that has Thomas will have 5 million on the cap, but that team will NOT have to pay his salary. Right now, the Preds are below the cap floor of 54.3 million.....we on the same page now?
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

i'm sure Nashville will figure out some other way to spend that needed million or so....  maybe on a sixth d-man, for example....

as for other possible destinations you may have planned for TT, that are most certainly teams needing to reach the floor, it's not exactly a good idea to pick up a player for the sole purpose of counting his salary towards the cap [even if you don't have to pay him one red cent]....  the main reason a team has difficulty reaching the cap floor is because it doesn't draw enough fans....  not the best way to attract more fans by having to use the salary of a "retired" player just to reach the minimum amount needed to spend....

maybe a good business decision but not a good marketing one....

you can still keep hoping that someone does the B'S a favour, though.... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : Too much risk for one of the most conservative cash conscious teams in the league who just literally blew their load on Weber. I could see the Islanders doing this, however.
    Posted by jmwalters

how do you not get this, there is no cash involved....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : how do you not get this, there is no cash involved....
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

There will be if TT decides to play and Poile can't unload him. That's the point........a third possibility to your scenario you do not address.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : There will be if TT decides to play and Poile can't unload him. That's the point........a third possibility to your scenario you do not address.
    Posted by jmwalters

really? you think there would be a chance poile would be unable to unload a healthy, willing to play Thomas with a cap hit of 5 mill and 3 mill salary? crazy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Junior, JM made a point. He is correct.  What you speak of is speculative at best.  Who knows what TT is thinking?  How would you expect a GM trading for his Cap space to think differently?  TT waved his NTC to pacify the fans, I am sure he does not care one bit about the corporation called Delaware North a la PC.  So why would another corporation (owner) want his contract?  He is not really with NHL speak in his current state of mind.  The only one scenario to be true is he decides to play and the Bs trade him to wherever his heart lies.  In one more year I will not think of TT anymore other than seeing him holding the Cup above his head in my armed man cave.  Ha.  

Sections
Shortcuts