How about Thomas to Nashville

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

Re: How about Thomas to Nashville

In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville:
    [QUOTE]Junior, JM made a point. He is correct.  What you speak of is speculative at best.  Who knows what TT is thinking?  How would you expect a GM trading for his Cap space to think differently?  TT waved his NTC to pacify the fans, I am sure he does not care one bit about the corporation called Delaware North a la PC.  So why would another corporation (owner) want his contract?  He is not really with NHL speak in his current state of mind.  The only one scenario to be true is he decides to play and the Bs trade him to wherever his heart lies.  In one more year I will not think of TT anymore other than seeing him holding the Cup above his head in my armed man cave.  Ha.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

cap room is different than real dollars. Nashville is VERY short on real dollars, but needs to fill cap space to reach what is known as the cap floor, tentatively set at 54.3 right now. They are under that. They need to be over that before the season starts. Thomas, as things stand right now has a cap hit of $5MM. He has a real dollar salary of $0.00. This because if he does not report to camp, he is suspended, and does not recieve pay, but because he signed a multi year contract after his 35th birthday, and his cap hit remains to whatever team owns his contract. Seeing as how people can't seem to understand what I'm getting at, I'm done with this. Might as well talk to a brick wall. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Further to the point, PC does not technically have to trade TT anyway. The roster is set, the B's under the cap and Savard can go on LTIR if/when a cap crunch arises later in the season. He can go the year with a dormant Thomas if need be and if a deal presents itself, PC is not obligated to take it unless he wants to.

If the Preds do what Junior is suggesting and TT decides he wants to play, Poile will have little to no leverage to deal the guy. Every GM knows Nashville is short in cash so there is no need to give up a decent pick to get TT. In short, Poile will have almost no leverage in any negotiation. He will almost certainly not get a 2nd rounder or even anything given up to get Thomas in the first place. It would be a needless and risky move, something Poile does not historically do. There are other, less risk-filled ways to get to the cap floor for a team that still has more than a few roster holes.

Now, this type of risky shenanigan (sp?) may be the work of the quirky NYI GM Snow and his equally insane owner, Wang. That's why I think if something like Junior has outlined does go down, it will likely be the Islanders.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]Further to the point, PC does not technically have to trade TT anyway. The roster is set, the B's under the cap and Savard can go on LTIR if/when a cap crunch arises later in the season. He can go the year with a dormant Thomas if need be and if a deal presents itself, PC is not obligated to take it unless he wants to. If the Preds do what Junior is suggesting and TT decides he wants to play, Poile will have little to no leverage to deal the guy. Every GM knows Nashville is short in cash so there is no need to give up a decent pick to get TT. In short, Poile will have almost no leverage in any negotiation. He will almost certainly not get a 2nd rounder or even anything given up to get Thomas in the first place. It would be a needless and risky move, something Poile does not historically do. There are other, less risk-filled ways to get to the cap floor for a team that still has more than a few roster holes. Now, this type of risky shenanigan (sp?) may be the work of the quirky NYI GM Snow and his equally insane owner, Wang. That's why I think if something like Junior has outlined does go down, it will likely be the Islanders.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely not true. Paying a 3 time all-star goalie $3 million to be a backup and taking a $5 million dollar cap hit is absolutely a good idea. No risk. No other way to get a $5 million hit and not have to pay the full amount unless they make a trade for another front-loaded contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How about Thomas to Nashville : That is absolutely not true. Paying a 3 time all-star goalie $3 million to be a backup and taking a $5 million dollar cap hit is absolutely a good idea. No risk. No other way to get a $5 million hit and not have to pay the full amount unless they make a trade for another front-loaded contract.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

Not for the likes of Nashville imho. Of course, they are rumoured to be going after Doan so maybe their ownership group found some capital somewhere that they did not have before.