How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

Seguins had a good year but I don't think it's a suprise to anyone. I don't know how many people had Chris Kelly penciled in for 20 goals this year.

This is why you can't let the public vote on stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

Neely and Chiarelli didn't want to give Kelly anymore negotiating leverage Money mouth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?:
    [QUOTE]Neely and Chiarelli didn't want to give Kelly anymore negotiating leverage
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    San, I thought the exact same thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Kelly has exceeded expectations the way a third liner can at times but Seguin has just become a star at the age of 19-20. That is the difference imho.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Now Gord and Dale are gushing over what a good year Pouliot is having with a career high in points with 31. When he was the number 4 overall pick in 2005 I'm sure the thought of Benoit hitting a career high of 31 points in the 2011-12 season was exactly how the Wild planned on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Kelly has exceeded expectations the way a third liner can at times but Seguin has just become a star at the age of 19-20. That is the difference imho.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

The difference is the 7th Player Award is basically a popularity contest now with people voting on it who shouldn't be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Neely and Chiarelli didn't want to give Kelly anymore negotiating leverage
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Proabably it too.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I'm surprised Gregorys Daddy didn't get it! Actually the award winner should be chosen after the playoffs, cuz O'Halloran, Sutherland, Walkom and O'Rourke will definitely warrant consideration.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

How Original!!! How many posts is that now??? Gregory's daddy can't win it, silly rabbit, that would be like Luongo winning the Conn Smythe last year, because technically, he was the number one reason the Bruins won it.

Choke on that Null. Choke on it until you gasp for air.

Every morning, first thing I do is go online, check the obituaries in the Vancouver Sun. You can't imagine the dissapointed look on my face everytime I get to the names beginning with "N" and don't see your name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Popularity contest = Seguin

Has he had a good year... duh yea.  Is it unexpected that the 2nd overall draft pick scores nearly 30 goals on lines with Bergeron and Krecji... no not exactly.

Kelly on the other hand - I didn't have him penciled in for more than 15 goals.  Thought his pk time and defensive end time to protect a lead would top out his value.  He has suprised the heck out of me.  Add in that after a few months of being on this team he was voted as to wear/share an "A", on a team like this that is full of guys who show leadership? That's something to brag about.

Edit:
    Pink hats will say: "Seguin's way hotter"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Not sure about the argument that Seguin just won a popularity contest. He leads the team in scoring, is a +32 (this is not pure luck), has 7 gwg's, and has won 2 games in the shootout. All at the age of 19-20 and coming after a rookie campaign where he was, in effect, a spare part. To my mind he has exceeded my expectations in every facet of his game.

This is not to say Kelly is somehow not deserving but to pretend that it was simply a popularity contest is not all that accurate. Both could have won, Seguin did. Should we, as fans of the team, not be happy there are at least two players on this team deserving such an award?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

Could have thrown Marchand in the mix as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The fans voted on who went above and beyond expectations. There is no question that Seguin is far and away the most improved player. Hard to argue on their (our) choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? : The difference is the 7th Player Award is basically a popularity contest now with people voting on it who shouldn't be.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I don't agree.  Sure, occasionally it seems that way.  But for the most part they seem to get it right, imo.  But they missed it this year.  It should have been Kelly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

For reference, here are the past winners:

1969-Ed Westfall
    1970-John McKenzie
    1971-Fred Stanfield
    1972-Derek Sanderson
    1973-Dallas Smith
    1974-Carol Vadnais & Don Marcotte
    1975-Terry O'Reilly
    1976-Gregg Sheppard
    1977-Gary Doak
    1978-Stan Jonathan
    1979-Rick Middleton
    1980-Ray Bourque
    1981-Steve Kasper
    1982-Barry Pederson
    1983-Pete Peeters
    1984-Mike O'Connell
    1985-Keith Crowder
    1986-Randy Burridge
    1987-Cam Neely
    1988-Glen Wesley
    1989-Randy Burridge
    1990-John Carter
    1991-Ken D. Hodge
    1992-Vladimir Ruzicka
    1993-Don Sweeney
    1994-Cam Neely
    1995-Blaine Lacher
    1996-Kyle McLaren
    1997-Ted Donato
    1998-Jason Allison
    1999-Byron Dafoe
    2000-Joe Thornton
    2001-Bill Guerin
    2002-Bill Guerin
    2003-Mike Knuble
    2004-Andrew Raycroft
    2005-No Award
    2006-Tim Thomas
    2007-Tim Thomas
    2008-Milan Lucic
    2009-David Krejci
    2010-Tuukka Rask
    2011-Brad Marchand

Courtesy of Widget from the game blog. Thanks again Widget.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think the fans nail it pretty much every year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]I think the fans nail it pretty much every year.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Except for maybe Blaine Lacher in 1995.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

FYI, Chris Kelly has had 38 points before. Maybe your expectations were just too low, and the public is more aware of his scoring history than you are.

In Response to How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?:
    [QUOTE]Seguins had a good year but I don't think it's a suprise to anyone. I don't know how many people had Chris Kelly penciled in for 20 goals this year. This is why you can't let the public vote on stuff.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Lach-ness monster surprised and amazed everyone that year!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? : Except for maybe Blaine Lacher in 1995.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

I don't think Seguin went above and beyond my expectations.  He's a second overall draft pick... basically 1b.  

Yeah, he's the most improved but you should EXPECT that to happen with someone as talented as him... therefore it does not go BEYOND EXPECTATIONS.  

While I have high expectations for all Bruins players, Kelly definitely stepped it up more than I expected.  He does so much more than score a few goals here and there.  He's great on the face off, penalty kill, and everywhere else on the ice.

He was my pick.  It's too bad recorded stats are all people seem to be focusing on for this award this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

John "I fell into a beer can" Carter and Rosie Ruzicka two flashes in the pan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]The Lach-ness monster surprised and amazed everyone that year! In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? :

heh...fair enough. Forgot about his nickname....lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]FYI, Chris Kelly has had 38 points before. Maybe your expectations were just too low, and the public is more aware of his scoring history than you are. In Response to How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? :

Nice try, but I think most people expected a pretty good jump from Seguin this year point wise. Kelly has 20 goals, kills penalties and did a nice job when players were injured. Seguins had a great year, but I expect that from a #2 overall pick in his second full season.
    My point is, they won the Cup, now you have people at games because it's the "in" thing, pink hats voting for Seguin because they think he is cute.

What did you expect from Seguin this year?
    What did you expect from Kelly?
    Whats the definition of the 7th Player award?
    Now when they hand out the awards for this years best players on the team Saturday, I fully expect Seguin to get some hardware and not Kelly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

Admittedly I am not sure of the wording of the award. If it is the top all-around player that isn't a top-liner then I would say Seguin in a virtual landslide.

If it is simply the player most surpassing expectations then Kelly is a good pick, as would Cambell.

Ah screw it,  I need to look up the award.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Tyler Seguin finished last year as a defensive liability playing less minutes than most of the other forwards, and watching some games from the press box.
    This year, he could finish, leading the team in scoring, and leading the entire league, in plus/minus.
    I'm no pink-hat, and I would hace been surprised if he hadn't won the 7th player award.
    As far as him being a high draft pick, ask Pouliot how much of a guarantee of success, that is.

Sections
Shortcuts