How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?:
    [QUOTE]Admittedly I am not sure of the wording of the award. If it is the top all-around player that isn't a top-liner then I would say Seguin in a virtual landslide. If it is simply the player most surpassing expectations then Kelly is a good pick, as would Cambell. Ah screw it,  I need to look up the award.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer[/QUOTE]

What on Earth is  "a top all-around player that isn't a top-liner?"

Huh?

Awards are overrated and often undeserved.  Last year's Norris Trophy wiinner had a negative plus-minus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

For the record Chiarelli didn't even know what the award was for, he said it this morning on the sports hub.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

"NESN’s Seventh Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who went above and beyond the call of duty and exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the 2011-12 season." 7th player refers to the fans, not the 7th best player, as some have implied on this thread.

Kelly's been awesome and would deserve the award just fine, but I don't think he has greatly exceeded my expectations. I watched him a lot in his Ottawa days and his game is pretty similar. As I said, he's only just matched his career year. He's been the best I expected, but I'm not really surprised.

You seem to think that the voting was impacted by pinkhats. Well, what did our very knowledgeable, long-time Bruins fans here on this board expect of him? Let's see:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a0e395497-a806-4383-a2c7-829a6a23552c&plckCurrentPage=1

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a2e706b93-839e-417d-b7e4-f8d43bed0df4&plckCurrentPage=0

Most seemed to settle in around N-a-S's thought of 25-20-45 pts this season, or maybe as much as 55pts. Stanley was pretty bang on with thinking 60-70pts, but hey, he is a flawless predictor. Of course he did think Pouliot would get 55pts....

There were also comments about people wanting Tyler to develop a better all-around game. I think a lot were surprised to see him be a +/- leader.

I said back in the summer that I wouldn't put any limit on Seguin's production. He's incredibly talented. I'm not shocked at all that he has put up close to 70 points. I am pleased that he has gotten this good this fast, and he is certainly playing at the high end of expectations. He also was truly exceeding my expectations a bit when he was on pace for upwards of 100 points early in the season.

Bottom line though is I think Tyler Seguin surprised a lot of people by emerging as the Bruins points leader, the NHL +/- leader for much of the season and an All-Star.  No one would be shocked that he would one day do that, but reading comments from the summer few people thought he would be the top scorer as early as this season. Less people are surprised that Kelly was a solid penalty killer, good all-around guy and put up 30-40 points as he usually does. He was also great filling in for injuries in Ottawa. When Spezza went down for a time Kelly was great filling in with Alfredson and Heatley, so much so that they didn't put Spezza back with them right away... not unlike Krejci this year. That lead to Kelly's 38 point season.

Personally I'm not all that surprised by anyone this year. My biggest surprises have been Hamill actually playing some games and Rolston lighting it up after the trade. Rolston would get my 7th player. To think he could come in and actually improve the team, not just be a spare, is way above the call of duty. Of course he hasn't been here long.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? : Nice try, but I think most people expected a pretty good jump from Seguin this year point wise. Kelly has 20 goals, kills penalties and did a nice job when players were injured. Seguins had a great year, but I expect that from a #2 overall pick in his second full season. My point is, they won the Cup, now you have people at games because it's the "in" thing, pink hats voting for Seguin because they think he is cute. What did you expect from Seguin this year? What did you expect from Kelly? Whats the definition of the 7th Player award? Now when they hand out the awards for this years best players on the team Saturday, I fully expect Seguin to get some hardware and not Kelly.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I don't have a problem with Seguin getting the award. Did we really expect for him to be the team's leading scorer in just his second season ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i would tend to agree with OC, nobody has performed "above and beyond". the bruins may very well end the regular season without having a 30 goal scorer. equally valid arguments could be made for either kelly and seguin- 3rd line guy scores 20, second year guy leads team in goals. where's the controversy? the biggest factor here is the fans. it is a bit of a popularity contest, and seguin is the face of the future. i would have been seriously impressed if the fans did recognize kelly, that would have shown bruins fans have a high hockey IQ. it was a toss up, either guy would be a good choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris3366. Show chris3366's posts

Kelly Should have won it.  He definitely exceeded expectations.  In my Opinion Sequin has started to meet expectations but still plays soft.  If not Kelly then it should have Bergeron.  But what do I know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]"NESN’s Seventh Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who went above and beyond the call of duty and exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the 2011-12 season." 7th player refers to the fans, not the 7th best player, as some have implied on this thread. Kelly's been awesome and would deserve the award just fine, but I don't think he has greatly exceeded my expectations. I watched him a lot in his Ottawa days and his game is pretty similar. As I said, he's only just matched his career year. He's been the best I expected, but I'm not really surprised. You seem to think that the voting was impacted by pinkhats. Well, what did our very knowledgeable, long-time Bruins fans here on this board expect of him? Let's see: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a0e395497-a806-4383-a2c7-829a6a23552c&plckCurrentPage=1 http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a2e706b93-839e-417d-b7e4-f8d43bed0df4&plckCurrentPage=0 Most seemed to settle in around N-a-S's thought of 25-20-45 pts this season, or maybe as much as 55pts. Stanley was pretty bang on with thinking 60-70pts, but hey, he is a flawless predictor. Of course he did think Pouliot would get 55pts.... There were also comments about people wanting Tyler to develop a better all-around game. I think a lot were surprised to see him be a +/- leader. I said back in the summer that I wouldn't put any limit on Seguin's production. He's incredibly talented. I'm not shocked at all that he has put up close to 70 points. I am pleased that he has gotten this good this fast, and he is certainly playing at the high end of expectations. He also was truly exceeding my expectations a bit when he was on pace for upwards of 100 points early in the season. Bottom line though is I think Tyler Seguin surprised a lot of people by emerging as the Bruins points leader, the NHL +/- leader for much of the season and an All-Star.  No one would be shocked that he would one day do that, but reading comments from the summer few people thought he would be the top scorer as early as this season. Less people are surprised that Kelly was a solid penalty killer, good all-around guy and put up 30-40 points as he usually does. He was also great filling in for injuries in Ottawa. When Spezza went down for a time Kelly was great filling in with Alfredson and Heatley, so much so that they didn't put Spezza back with them right away... not unlike Krejci this year. That lead to Kelly's 38 point season. Personally I'm not all that surprised by anyone this year. My biggest surprises have been Hamill actually playing some games and Rolston lighting it up after the trade. Rolston would get my 7th player. To think he could come in and actually improve the team, not just be a spare, is way above the call of duty. Of course he hasn't been here long. In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I expected Seguin to have a good year and predicted it, though I dont think it was a reach. Your argument is valid, I just thought Kelly rose above expectations more. My pink hat statement is influenced by the games I've been to this year.
    I think Seguin flirts with 90 points next year. I will say Seguins all-around game has exceeded my expectations, not going on just plus/minus either, I think he really has imporoved. so okay, he was worthy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

the "surprise" factor seems to be what shapes opinion on this one.  Those that are surprised with Seguins game this year, seem to think it was well deserved, while those who aren't surprised with his growth seem to think maybe it should have gone to a lesser talent who over delivered.
    I'm one who kind of assumed the 7th player was originally meant to honor "unsung heroes" more than team all stars, but never thought that much about it, or was interested enough to research it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

2 words

Teenage Girls

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]the "surprise" factor seems to be what shapes opinion on this one.  Those that are surprised with Seguins game this year, seem to think it was well deserved, while those who aren't surprised with his growth seem to think maybe it should have gone to a lesser talent who over delivered. I'm one who kind of assumed the 7th player was originally meant to honor "unsung heroes" more than team all stars, but never thought that much about it, or was interested enough to research it.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

For some reason and i know it's usually not the case i have it in my head that the 7th player should be a 3rd or 4th liner or bottom 4 defenseman who has, I'm struggling for the term, perhaps a career year. Hopefully you get what I mean.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?"

Ist place - Tyler Seguin
    2nd place - Justin Bieber
    3rd place - Hannah Montana

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]"How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?" Ist place - Tyler Seguin 2nd place - Justin Bieber 3rd place - Hannah Montana
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

haahaha,

well said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]2 words Teenage Girls
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

And this is bad how?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/04/chris-kelly-the-real-seventh-player-for-bruins-this-season/

“Obviously it’s nice to score goals and contribute offensively,” said Kelly, who noted that he doesn’t set statistical goals for himself at the start of seasons. “And I’ve been really lucky to play with some great linemates in my time here – last year and this year. Ziggy’s a really deserving player of that award. Obviously he’s leading our team in goals, points, he’s up there in plus-minus. That’s a rare thing to see, a young player in the plus-minus [race]. So it’s a great choice, and I think it’s that much more special when the fans decide on it.”

Both Bruin players are class acts and of course praised each other awesomeness...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Kelly deserves consideration, no doubt - a very smart player who does so many things off the puck and off the camera.  He was also a deadline acquisition which helped us win the Cup, so expectations might have been high?  Seguin's done an amazing job (whichever line he's on is the top offensive threat) after an up and down first year, in and out of the line-up, a rookie with high hopes, etc.  I couldn't decide who I thought should win it, since the Bs are Cup holders and built to compete for it again - difficult to have a player super-perform.  Seguin's a deserving winner, in my opinion.  I hope Dougie Hamilton takes the award next year - for what it matters - then we're really built to win again, again? 

My top three were Seguin, Kelly, and McQuaid.  Looking forward to Thursday week - best day of the year, by far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Seguin was a fine choice.  195% increase in YOY point total gets it done. 

Congrats Tyler.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm just happy to see that they've apparently realized my suggested Seguin nickname Seggy (Ziggy) Stardust should be the kid's official handle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Not to keep stoking the Kelly/Seguin debate about expectations but there is a somewhat interesting article with a quick blurb on Seguin:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625919

Apparently Tyler was rated 215th in the fantasy draft at the begining of the year but is now 24th which makes him, in their estimation, the biggest surprise of the year. Kelly was not mentioned in the piece by they way....:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Not to keep stoking the Kelly/Seguin debate about expectations but there is a somewhat interesting article with a quick blurb on Seguin: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625919 Apparently Tyler was rated 215th in the fantasy draft at the begining of the year but is now 24th which makes him, in their estimation, the biggest surprise of the year. Kelly was not mentioned in the piece by they way....:)
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

really encouraging to see posters contributing like this.  our position here shouldn't be to merely defend personal thoughts, but to read things that heighten our awareness.
    An interesting piece.  thanks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? : really encouraging to see posters contributing like this.  our position here shouldn't be to merely defend personal thoughts, but to read things that heighten our awareness. An interesting piece.  thanks
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

Thanks stevegm. I appreciate the compliment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

More on Seguin's performance this season:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=391591

Tops the list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I agree with Jaywall, OatesCam, Crowls, and Huscroft that Seguin is a worthy recipient. I particularly agree with the sentiment that Chris Kelly hasn't really surprised anyone that has been paying attention.

His previous  career high of 38 points has only been bested by 1
    His previous career high of 15 goals has only been bested by 5

Additionally,
    Kelly has a 2.28 on ice 5v5 corsi rating up from 1.13 last season (meaning he's only added one additional shot towards then net per game from last season than he has allowed). Tyler Seguin, on the other hand, went from -3.40 to 21.36!! An exponential improvement.

Also Notably, Chris Kelly has faced the lowest quality of opponets (#13 on the team) vs. Tyler Seguin's #6, a complete reversal from last year when Tyler Seguin consistently was placed against the worst opponents CJ could find.

You have to credited Bergeron for a lot of Seguin's improvement, but if you're going to give the award to Kelly just because he scored a few more goals than normal, Shawn Thornton should have won it last season. Also note that Joe Thornton won the award in 2000, so the fact that Seguin is a top pick shouldn't preclude him from winning.

Tyler Seguin went from the Press-Box, to an indispensable cog in the race for another stanley cup. The fans got it right.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

The stats are all nice, however, big picture and "exceeding expectations" is what ultimately defines the 7th player award IMHO. 

Seguin is a #2 pick (debatable #1) overall that was expected to produce his numbers.  I'd be more in the Seguin camp if he had 35+ goals.

Kelly, you would anticipate might get 10 goals in a good year. For him to get 20 was a lot more surprising than the total Seguin got. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]The stats are all nice, however, big picture and "exceeding expectations" is what ultimately defines the 7th player award IMHO.  Seguin is a #2 pick (debatable #1) overall that was expected to produce his numbers.  I'd be more in the Seguin camp if he had 35+ goals. Kelly, you would anticipate might get 10 goals in a good year. For him to get 20 was a lot more surprising than the total Seguin got. 
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

did you not read what I wrote? I already mentioned Joe Thorton (#1 overall pick) winning in 2000, as well as showed that Chris Kelly didn't outperform his previous careers bests in any spectacular way. As far as your claim that Kelly, "might get 10 goals in a good year"-- he's had at least 10 goals or more in every season he's played in the NHL:

2005-2006   10 goals
    2006-2007   15 goals 
    2007-2008   11 goals
    2008-2009   12 goals
    2009-2010   15 goals
    2010-2011   14 goals
    2011-2012   20 goals

I've also pointed out, that Kelly barely improved in several key categories that are more revealing of his overall game than simply goals scored... Seguin, on the other hand, has showed exponential improvement in every category of his play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player? : did you not read what I wrote? I already mentioned Joe Thorton (#1 overall pick) winning in 2000, as well as showed that Chris Kelly didn't outperform his previous careers bests in any spectacular way. As far as your claim that Kelly, "might get 10 goals in a good year"-- he's had at least  10 goals or more in every season he's played in the NHL: 2005-2006   10 goals 2006-2007   15 goals  2007-2008   11 goals 2008-2009   12 goals 2009-2010   15 goals 2010-2011   14 goals 2011-2012   20 goals I've also pointed out, that Kelly barely improved in several key categories that are more revealing of his overall game than simply goals scored... Seguin, on the other hand, has showed exponential improvement in every category of his play.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

You are very right about how you portray Kelly. I used to live in the Ottawa-Gatineau region and saw a lot of Sens games, including Kelly for most of his career. His season in 2011/12, while hitting a career high in goals, was not too much of a surprise. He is the perfect third-line center who will pop in some goals now and again. He played like this in Ottawa over the past decade, in the playoffs for the Bruins in 2011, and now in the regular season in 11/12.

This is why I think Seguin has exceeded expectations from my point of view and why I have been arguing for him on this thread.