How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?

In Response to Re: How does Chris Kelly not win 7th player?:
    [QUOTE]"NESN’s Seventh Player Award is an annual award presented to the Bruin who went above and beyond the call of duty and exceeded the expectations of Bruins fans during the 2011-12 season." 7th player refers to the fans, not the 7th best player, as some have implied on this thread. Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Didnt know that.  Thought it was the best forward who didnt play on a top two line (i.e. "seventh" forward).  I dont think I was alone in that assumption, as the "sixth man of the year" award in basketball is gvien to the best bench guy.

Had the award been what some of us thought, I think Kelly would have won it in a landslide.  But due to the clarification provided by OC (thanks, by the way) I agree with his earlier post that teh fans nail it every year.  This year is no exception.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Olsonic...I read your post and I still don't think Seguin "exceeded" expectations.  Yes, he improved all of his statistical categories, but a SECOND year ALMOST FIRST overall pick is "supposed to" produce his output.  He is meeting expectations, not exceeding them. 

You also have to consider Seguin getting significantly more powerplay time which netted him 5 additional goals.  All but one of Kelly's was on the Powerplay.  They both had close to the same amount of game winners and a similar plus/minus.    You also have to consider linemates into the equation.  Seguin was playing with better offensive players the entire year.  A five goal difference in 5-on-5 goals is hardly a landslide here.  Kelly is also a better penalty killer and plays more physical which is not reflected in the stats.   

As a fan, I would have predicted 25 goals for Seguin this year.... and for Kelly, I would have predicted 10 (moreso becuase the Bruins have many other offensive weapons)  The percentage increase to actual for this fan's prediction favors Kelly.  

Seguin is the way better player here; however, the spirit of the award is not meant for that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Olsonic...I read your post and I still don't think Seguin "exceeded" expectations.  Yes, he improved all of his statistical categories, but a SECOND year ALMOST FIRST overall pick is "supposed to" produce his output.  He is meeting expectations, not exceeding them.  You also have to consider Seguin getting significantly more powerplay time which netted him 5 additional goals.  All but one of Kelly's was on the Powerplay.  They both had close to the same amount of game winners and a similar plus/minus.    You also have to consider linemates into the equation.  Seguin was playing with better offensive players the entire year.  A five goal difference in 5-on-5 goals is hardly a landslide here.  Kelly is also a better penalty killer and plays more physical which is not reflected in the stats.    As a fan, I would have predicted 25 goals for Seguin this year.... and for Kelly, I would have predicted 10 (moreso becuase the Bruins have many other offensive weapons)  The percentage increase to actual for this fan's prediction favors Kelly.   Seguin is the way better player here; however, the spirit of the award is not meant for that. 
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

If you really predicted 25 goals for Seguin (not just hoped for it in a best case scenario) then you are smarter then every hockey expert on the planet. No one predicted the season he had.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin is the way better player here; however, the spirit of the award is not meant for that. 
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]

fair enough, but your argument kinda hinges on this subjective interpretation of the award--I suppose I just naturally try to be objective and look for the most improved player statistically. (numbers etc)

But yeah, Kelly has had a solid year for the bruins, that line is really clicking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I've been around a while and have seen a lot of 2nd picks overall have excellent sophomore years--not a hard prediction really.    I've also seen the likes of Keith Crowder, Randy Burridge, and those types win the 7th player award.  Your objective research is worthy, but it's hard not to be a little subjective when looking at some of the past winners.