How has Greg Zanon looked?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How has Greg Zanon looked?

I've missed 2 of the last 3 games and the one against the Rangers didn't really notice Zanon except for that unlucky bounce off of his skate that went in.
    I know he's not flashy moving the puck or showing anything offensively.
    I'm asking what you guys think of him defensively ? What have you seen ?

p.s. Quiet d-man can be a good thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: How has Greg Zanon looked?

He

looks

acceptable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Compared to Joe Corvo he looks like a 10 time Norris Winner.

On a positive note he looks like a solid 5-6 d-man, he hits, doesn't seem to make any serious mistakes, just what this defense needs, imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

i think he has looked very steady.  stays in position, blocks shots, doesnt panic, good first pass,...all the things we want from a stay at home defenceman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

he's slow around the net which leads to rebound goals and now claude has paired him with joe "2% shooting percentage" corvo. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Positionlly sound, real good skater, confident recovering after pinching down (doesn't panic) and he keeps opposing forwards honest while the skate through the neutral zone as he is known for solid stand em up hits at the blueline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

He's been average. Nothing flashy. CJ has been giving him limited minutes, around 15 a game as a B, to try and ease him in. That said, he has been a minus every game so far, the only Bruin to be so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked?:
    [QUOTE]i think he has looked very steady.  stays in position, blocks shots, doesnt panic, good first pass,...all the things we want from a stay at home defenceman.
    Posted by tremha[/QUOTE]

Spot on. 

Zanon's been reliable and defense-first ... defense wins in the playoffs, doesn't it.  Sit Corvo as soon as Ference can be on the ice - Ference can bring the puck up the ice as well as Corvo and Boychuk can shoot it much better.  Sit Corvo when Ference is ready and keep Zanon in the top six.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]He's been average. Nothing flashy. CJ has been giving him limited minutes, around 15 a game as a B, to try and ease him in. That said, he has been a minus every game so far, the only Bruin to be so.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

He wasn't brought here to be flashy - if he's average, then he takes Corvo's place.  Despite Zanon, the Bruins have continued to be a minus, despite a few wins, recently (5-4 in Toronto - WOW).  I think Zanon will add to the defensive priority as the season comes to a close and the team gears up for the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]Positionlly sound, real good skater, confident recovering after pinching down (doesn't panic) and he keeps opposing forwards honest while the skate through the neutral zone as he is known for solid stand em up hits at the blueline.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Fully agree.  Good pick up for the playoffs, especially after CJ sits Corvo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought he's looked ok so far considering he's playing w/ new d-men. Hopefully when Ference comes backCorvo sits and Zanon stays in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : He wasn't brought here to be flashy - if he's average, then he takes Corvo's place.  Despite Zanon, the Bruins have continued to be a minus, despite a few wins, recently (5-4 in Toronto - WOW).  I think Zanon will add to the defensive priority as the season comes to a close and the team gears up for the playoffs.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

I have nothing against the deal or Zanon.  I think he adds good depth. Just stating the fact that he has been a minus every game if that means anything or not is up to the reader.

He is a good pickup provided he is not asked to do too much. I do not, however, see him as a permanent replacement for Corvo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A number 5 or 6 defenseman who is learning the system.  Sound but occassionaly seems to be caught low without a clue what do do.  Very postive, someone mentioned Mark Stuart as a comparable a while back.  A good comparison, except no one will give Mountain Man Mark any carp.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]he's slow around the net which leads to rebound goals and now claude has paired him with joe "2% shooting percentage" corvo. 
    Posted by Karl-Hungus[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  He has a little Morris in his game.  But he's better than Kaberle, so it's k.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'd say he's been serviceable.  Moves well, seems to make nice short passes.  Hits but doesn't go way out of position to do it.  Looks alot like Ference out on the ice, at least defensively.  If he settles in, he could be an alternative to Corvo.  I'm not sure he could bump anyone else.

I'll agree with Karl-Hungus that he's been less than great around the net.  I've noticed him being scrambly at times - though to be fair the whole team was at the same time.

He does seem to have an unfortunate knack for tipping pucks so that they become harder for the goaltender to save.  It was his tip that led to Rask being hurt, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : Fully agree.  Good pick up for the playoffs, especially after CJ sits Corvo. Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

I'm also basing this off having the Center Ice package and Legion really did ask how he's been in Bruins uniform. From what I've seen so far he has been very solid just like in Minnesota.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : I agree.  He has a little Morris in his game.  But he's better than Kaberle, so it's k.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    You're comparing apples to fish cakes. Zanon and Kaberle are totally different players. You might as well compare him to Ryder or Wheeler for all of the relevance your comparison has.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : I have nothing against the deal or Zanon.  I think he adds good depth. Just stating the fact that he has been a minus every game if that means anything or not is up to the reader. He is a good pickup provided he is not asked to do too much. I do not, however, see him as a permanent replacement for Corvo.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

He came for Kampfer who was a good prospect, but not ready for the playoffs.  I hate watching Corvo make mistake after mistake, game after game.  Zanon will prove to be a positive as the season closes and the post-season begins, because he's steady, provided Claude gives him some minutes with Ference and Boychuk not at 100%.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : You're comparing apples to fish cakes. Zanon and Kaberle are totally different players. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Thank God.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Zanon has looked to be a white guy, shaved head, 5' 11" about 200 lbs, usually wears a white or black jersery with a 'B' on the front and number 6 on the back.

He's been seen and identified in a lineup 5 times now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Badhab, ah satire, thanks I needed that! Serioulsy.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How has Greg Zanon looked? : Thank God.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    You'll eventually write a post with some substance. Just keep trying.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

He's holding his own but he does seem to be on the ice alot when the opponent scores...just saying...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Badhab, ah satire, thanks I needed that! Serioulsy.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    Please isla, don't humour him. He certainly isn't bringing any. I'm beginning to think Badhab is Pee-Wee Herman.

Sections
Shortcuts