How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

I'm with NAS on this one, Kessel should get a couple games for the stick work.  That was much worse than Scott going after him, which was actually quite comical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I wish Phil carved scott like a Turkey!  Scott was trying to jump him, he has no business in the NHL!  I would have absolutely no problem if Kessel sliced him up!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Define intent to injure for me, in the real world you take scott goes after Kessel, why ? because its his job ? No, in fact that can be defined as an intent to injure, Its like stealing candy from a baby. The more i see things like scott does the more i hate hockey, along with staged fights.

Scott brought the gun to the fight and kessel had the knife.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Wow.  Kessel takes two two-handed chops at a player and he gets props here.  I don't care who you are or who's coming to get you, that's unacceptable.  Hey, if you want to skate away from a guaranteed beating, that's almost understandable, but swinging you stick like that is never acceptable.

He didn't take two two-handed chops at a "player", he took them at a very large idiot who can't play a lick. Kessels's line was out there to diffuse the situation. Scott must be dumber than he looks, as he just made life miserable for skilled teamates like Vanek. Orr's gotta be licking his chops right now. Buffalo just bit off more than they can chew, because Toronto is tougher and better. These games are going to be interesting for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I defintely think Kessel should and will get a couple games for that. But Scott had no business trying to engage him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I wonder if the Bruins had one last years plyoff series with the Leafs say four games to one and Kessel hadn't scored- Would anyone on BDC have anything remotely positive to say about Phil ?

It wasn't "stick swinging", they were chops at Scott to keep him away. Totally different!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What the beginning again.  Kessel skates past Scott and (my guess) says something stupid.  Scott's head whips around in a WTFFF did you just say sort of fashion.  Scott has something to say to Kessel (or possibly in response to Kessel), and Kessel mouths back at him.  Kessel takes his hand off his stick and puts it on Scott.

Scott goes for the fight and Phil wheels back and takes the first chop.  A few Leafs jump in with Kessel still circling backwards.  Kessel comes back in and gives another two hander.

How on Earth are any of you giving Kessel any sort of credit whatsoever here?

Kessel should A) Keep his mouth shut if he doesn't want to go and B) keep his hands off other players if he doesn't want to go.

Reading the comments here about John Scott (and remember that I 100% despise the goon role), one would think he sought Kessel out for a beating.  Kessel ran his mouth, got challenged, wimped out, ran away, used his stick as a weapon, had his teammates jump in for him and came back for another whack.

He should get 10 games...at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

From PuckDaddy:

Kessel said Scott told him he was coming after him. Scott claims he “joked” to Kessel he was coming after him, per James Mirtle.

--

Kessel should have kept his mouth shut and his hands on his stick.  Plain and simple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kessel did the smart thing, he fought someone his height n size and didn't get hurt during a contract year. Phil did not runaway and turtle so he gets props.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What the beginning again.  Kessel skates past Scott and (my guess) says something stupid.  Scott's head whips around in a WTFFF did you just say sort of fashion.  Scott has something to say to Kessel (or possibly in response to Kessel), and Kessel mouths back at him.  Kessel takes his hand off his stick and puts it on Scott.

Scott goes for the fight and Phil wheels back and takes the first chop.  A few Leafs jump in with Kessel still circling backwards.  Kessel comes back in and gives another two hander.

How on Earth are any of you giving Kessel any sort of credit whatsoever here?

Kessel should A) Keep his mouth shut if he doesn't want to go and B) keep his hands off other players if he doesn't want to go.

Reading the comments here about John Scott (and remember that I 100% despise the goon role), one would think he sought Kessel out for a beating.  Kessel ran his mouth, got challenged, wimped out, ran away, used his stick as a weapon, had his teammates jump in for him and came back for another whack.

He should get 10 games...at least.

It defintely looked like he was seeking Kessel for a beating to me.

At the beginning of the fight, the commentators say that Scott was just chirping at the Leafs bench. It looked to me like he then said something to Kessel, they had words, kessel put his hand up appearing to push him, Scott then tries to fight Kessel.

I defintely get what you are saying with the stickwork, but everything ive seen in the video does make it seem like Scott was looking to actually seek out and fight Phil Kessel. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I have mixed feelings on the issue. I don't think it's right to use your stick as a weapon using two hands. I say two hands, because this excuses me from using one handed whacks to guys in front of me. Having said this; I think the inital whack may have been warranted as only to gain some time to escape. In all honestly as much as a goon Scott is. I don't think he would've punched Kessel. I think maybe put the fear of GOD into him. But, Kessel doesn't want to take that chance. He didn't swing anywhere that would've caused damage, but a swing is a swing nonetheless. The 2nd swing I have a huge issue with. Kessel was already out of Scotts way at this point. He went back after him with the 2nd swing. This is where I actually wished Kessel got his clocked tuned. Props for handling himself well, but he defineatly deserved to get a good beating for his reaction to the 2nd whack. So, inspite of giving him kudo's I hope Scott does give him a bitach slap at some point this season. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not sure what I think about the first chop - I can sort of let it go because it was John flippin Scott coming at him and he's, well, Phil Kessel. But taking a two handed chop at a guy's legsfrom behind when he's tangled with two other players is absolutely gutless - I don't care who it is, even a clown like Scott. At least Kessel answered the bell for doing that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

I see this incident the same way as NAS. Kessel should have kept his mouth shut and should definately not have shoved his glove toward Scott's face. Granted, Scott should have tried to engage someone different but I believe if Kessel would have just ignored him the situation would not have played out like it did.

THat being said, never is swinging your stick like that at someone acceptable. Then to come back with a second swing after your teammates have taken Scott down is cowardly, and then even later to come in with that pathetic atempt at a spear is just stupid.

I do have to give Kessel props though for winning the fight, who would have known he had it in him?

And it is always good to see Miller get hammered.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Miller was just tuning up for his upcoming bout with Lucic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I didnt't see Scott and Kessel had words first.  Just saw on TSN .  I bet Kessel told him to go play on the highway and that he doesn't know how to skate. Scott is a goon but he's never gone after a star player (he follows that code) , for sure Kessel told him something to pee him off.
    Lucky if Kessel gets 2 games.  In typical NHL fashion,  Scott was not hurt, Scott is not a superstar therefore minimal punishment And Kessel is a 1st time offender (a joke in itself). 

Didn't Briere get 3 games as a repeat offender for something similar ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

and on a side note Edmonton signs ~ Steve MacIntyre 6'5  271 lbs,  because the role of the dancing goon is obsolete.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Isn't this the third time MacIntyre has signed with the Oilers? Why do they keep going back to him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

and on a side note Edmonton signs ~ Steve MacIntyre 6'5  271 lbs,  because the role of the dancing goon is obsolete.

Two years ago, the Penguins signed him to a two year deal.

He played 13 NHL games.

Superstar!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Somewhere along the line, we got sold this line about goons "policing" the game.  What a crock.  Goons are goons.  They're there to intimidate, not police.  Don't run your mouth, don't run around on the ice, or we unleash the goon.  Somewhere along the line, it became a sideshow of goon vs. goon because there was suddenly a goon code that said you couldn't touch a greasy little so and so if he was a skilled player.  Suddenly you have the rise of the "instigator" - by definition, a player who does cheap stickwork and runs his mouth to get things started, but who isn't the one who has to finish what he starts.  Theoren Fleury should have been tuned up six times a month for all of the crap he started, but there was always someone on the Flames or Avs who "had his back."  Now, that's not Kessel, but if he ran his mouth at Scott and then made a move that sure looked like he was jabbing at Scott, and Scott got the flippers off....  Well, that's the old role of the goon.  And in some measure, if there are going to be goons, this shouldn't change.  What did it benefit the Bruins that Cooke fought Thornton?  The PP hasn't been the same since that hit, and we're more than three seasons later.  Think the Penguins have Cooke on the roster if, after that hit on Savard, Thornton had knocked out Crosby in a fight?

Linseman used to interpose the stick, not swing it wildly.  As in, if you want to come for me, I'm going to make you eat this.  But he didn't swing wildly.

Spear or the flat of the blade - what is Kessel doing to going back at Scott?  I understand him getting out of the way of the beating, and the first swing doesn't even look like it connected so it's bad optics but the second one is, as red says, pure cowardice - the action of someone afraid for his life who suddenly has an option to take out the threat with no consequences to himself.  If he did that vs. any other player, I'd send my good out against him.... 

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Phat Phil had raised his stick above Scotts shoulders, I would have had a problem with that. Red and others said, Kessel answered the Bell!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Isn't this the third time MacIntyre has signed with the Oilers? Why do they keep going back to him?

You are correct it's his 3rd time with Edmonton, definetely no superstar, but Edmonton needs what it perceives of players taken liberties at their young stars. IMO if John Scott was available they would have signed him in a heartbeat.

Like or hate it ~ that's the reality.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You are correct it's his 3rd time with Edmonton, definetely no superstar, but Edmonton needs what it perceives of players taken liberties at their young stars. IMO if John Scott was available they would have signed him in a heartbeat.

The reality is that he has been signed to a contract. 

Let's see how many NHL games he plays before we declare Steve "Mr. UHL" McIntyre the evidence of Proof of Life for the goon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Book, I read your book.  Chowda would have given it the old "TLDR", but I made my way through it.  Good stuff overall.  I think the invention of The Code was the downfall of fighting in hockey.  In boxing, it's understandable because the guy doesn't need to hate or even be angry with his opponent.  In hockey, there is supposed to be emotion behind the gloves dropping.  Well, emotion more than "I really like to get paid to do this".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If you're worried about liberties, then go for someone who can contribute at least something beyond not being able to skate and beating up other goons. You say they need intimidation? It's not a perfect solution but what about Hal Gill? He's still out there, near the end of his career, but he still has qualities that he can add to a team (like experience) and he's still capable of taking the head off of someone who cheap shots one of the kids. Not a perfect solution but still miles better than MacIntyre.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Who was the last player that was injured due to an opposing player "taking liberties" (GOD I HATE THAT TERM) because there was no goon presence?

Sections
Shortcuts