How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

From PuckDaddy:

Kessel said Scott told him he was coming after him. Scott claims he “joked” to Kessel he was coming after him, per James Mirtle.

--

Kessel should have kept his mouth shut and his hands on his stick.  Plain and simple.

I dont buy the John Scott saying he was "joking" with Kessel. What is this, 3rd grade? Your teammate just got carried off and your going to "joke" with the other teams best player about how your going to jump him?

Looks to me like John Scott realized after the game what a loser he looks like for starting this whole thing by engaging with Kessel and took the "joking' defense.

I dont care what Phil Kessel said to him. How do we know Scott didnt say he was going to jump him before he came into the camera shot and Phil was just repsonding.

I dont like to see someone swinging their stick at someone either. I dont care for Phil Kessel much either. But if I'm in a contract year and some loser goon tells me he is going to jump me,in a pre-season game of all things, I'm doing what I can to defend myself. I'm not putting my career in the hands of that loser.

The only joke I see here is John Scott in an NHL jersey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Leafs almost lost Kadri for 10 games too

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432586

If Scott going after Kessel had cost a division rival two starters for the first ten games (plus any possible suspension to Kessel) that would have been a flukey upside for the Sabres for having that clown on the ice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I dont buy the John Scott saying he was "joking" with Kessel. What is this, 3rd grade? Your teammate just got carried off and your going to "joke" with the other teams best player about how your going to jump him?

Looks to me like John Scott realized after the game what a loser he looks like for starting this whole thing by engaging with Kessel and took the "joking' defense.

I dont care what Phil Kessel said to him. How do we know Scott didnt say he was going to jump him before he came into the camera shot and Phil was just repsonding.

I dont like to see someone swinging their stick at someone either. I dont care for Phil Kessel much either. But if I'm in a contract year and some loser goon tells me he is going to jump me,in a pre-season game of all things, I'm doing what I can to defend myself. I'm not putting my career in the hands of that loser.

The only joke I see here is John Scott in an NHL jersey.

Scott, while a pure, pure, pure goon, isn't a Chris Simon-like maniac.  Can you really see him grabbing Phil Kessel and swinging away when the puck drops?  By "joking", I'm guessing it would have been funny to him to see Kessel's face go white, not sharing a guffaw with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

just to play devils advocate NAS, i did read some article on TSN i believe a couple years ago that noted the carolina hurricanes had the most man games lost to head injuries two years in a row, and two years in a row had the fewest fighting majors in the league. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

The Leafs almost lost Kadri for 10 games too

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432586

If Scott going after Kessel had cost a division rival two starters for the first ten games (plus any possible suspension to Kessel) that would have been a flukey upside for the Sabres for having that clown on the ice

Whatever Kadri.  Yeah, Lupul held you back.  You're a real bruiser.  "I was so mad I almost..."  No, you weren't mad enough.  If you were, you would have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

just to play devils advocate NAS, i did read some article on TSN i believe a couple years ago that noted the carolina hurricanes had the most man games lost to head injuries two years in a row, and two years in a row had the fewest fighting majors in the league. 

Too vague.  If you want to bring this to the discussion, do your research and provide names and what knocked them out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Who was the last player that was injured due to an opposing player "taking liberties" (GOD I HATE THAT TERM) because there was no goon presence?

Just the other day, Gagner suffered a broken jaw, and will likely deal with some facial/dental reconstruction from a accidentally/on purpose Kassian high stick.

and from the same game Taylor Hall suffered a cheap shot blow to the head from Dave Weise who currently has a hearing from the league in regards to the shot.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you'd be able to locate MacTavish's email somewhere ~ shoot him an email and tell him he's making a big mistake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This has the fighting major stats for every team for the last 12 seasons - the teams year by year seem to be all over the place in terms of their final ranking. It would be oretty hard to track down any correlations.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/major-penalties/sort/fightingPenalties

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

Just the other day, Eberle suffered a broken jaw, and likely deal with some facial/dental reconstruction from a accidentaly/on purpose Kassian high stick.

and from the same game Taylor Hall suffered a cheap shot blow to the head from Dave Weise who currently has a hearing from the league in regards to the shot.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you'd be able to locate MacTavish's email somewhere ~ shoot him an email and tell him he's making a big mistake.

My error for not being clear. 

To my statement, add, "in an NHL regular season or playoff game, not a full-of-mushbrain preseason game".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS, the question is moot.  For every one you find, you'll find ten where a guy was injured because of a careless or cheap play by an opponent even though the injured guy's team employs a goon.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Who was the last player that was injured due to an opposing player "taking liberties" (GOD I HATE THAT TERM) because there was no goon presence?

McLaren on Zednick comes to mind as I think Montreal was pretty soft back then.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

NAS, the question is moot.  For every one you find, you'll find ten where a guy was injured because of a careless or cheap play by an opponent even though the injured guy's team employs a goon.

Good point Book

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And you'll also find that even when a goon isn't in the lineup or is a scratch that with some teams the incidents of cheap shots don't go up. Maybe it's because teams like the Bruins have players like McQuaid, Lucic and Chara - you don't need a goon, you need skilled players who can fight when needed. I watch the Jets a lot as well and it doesn't matter if Thorburn is on the ice or not, because Kane, Byfuglien and Stuart will drop them just as quickly. Now, I'm not saying I believe that intimidation prevents cheap shots, but if you believe in that theory then why waste a roster spot on someone whose only skill is fighting, when you can instead put in a player with something else to contribute but can respond when needed? I don't think goons are necessary - in fact they're a waste of a sweater.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I just watched the full incident again on my lunch. Watching it this time my view of Scott is even worse and Kessel (somewhat) better.  It clearly looked like Scott went right after Phill.  He dropped his gloves on the draw and attacked him.  That's terrible.  Phil said Scott said he was "going to get him".  I don't know if Phil yapped at him first or not, but what Scott did was bad in my opionion.  And I'm about Phill's size and if a guy 6'7"who makes his living beating people up came after me - and I had a piece of lumber in my hands - I would probably use that piece of lumber to defend myself.  That said, I said above hitting people with a stick is not OK and Kessel should be suspended.  Especially for the second swing, Phil should be sitting for a few games.  But Scott was the trouble-maker going after the Leafs' small star player.  And I do give Phil credit for fighting the other guy who was closer to his size.  And it wasn't just a typical "pretend" fight that stars do some times; Kessel was firing rights and risking his sniper's hands.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Gino Odjick was on that Habs team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I don't see it as a cow's opinion (moo point) at all.  The need for a goon to keep their own players safe is non-existent.

Now, the need for a goon to fight another team's goon so your skilled players who fight (McQuaid, Lucic, Chara) don't have to waste their ice time is a different story.

The proper result would be for all GMs to collude and stop employing these dopes.  Sadly, those of us here who recognize this are in the major minority as I would guess 80% or more of people who watch hockey LOVE it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

Oats, not to be arguementive but... the way I saw it was Kessel putting his glove in Scott's face. That was the moment Scott went from trying to intimidade to wanting to pumell. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Probably wasn't dressed, I think it was a playoff game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

It's a predatory environment out there.  Like it or lump it...intimidation is an intrinsic part of the game, and always has been.  

The timeless "liberties" argument,... comes from the fundamental truth, that NHLers react more consistently to fear.....than they do respect.

Having said all that, there seems to be an ample supply of players who can punish, intimidate, and fight, while still maintaing a pretty decent amount of skill.

Although I see zero need for guys like him, I have no problem with Scott.  If the industry doles out jobs for players with his skill set...it's idiotic to put the blame on him.

I don't have much use for guys throwing their sticks around either,      but...........a little more engagement can't be a bad thing for Kessel.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It was, McLare was suspended for the rest of the series.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to UtahBruin's comment:

Oats, not to be arguementive but... the way I saw it was Kessel putting his glove in Scott's face. That was the moment Scott went from trying to intimidade to wanting to pumell. 

That's the way I see it too. 

And don't worry about Oates. He always loves to argue. Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He played.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

To be clear, I think it is ridiculous for any player to take a two handed swing with the stick on another player.  But it is no more ridiculous than a 275 lb gorrila chasing a star player, gloves off, without provocation, in a preseason game.  

To me, Kessel's reaction matched the absurdity of the moment.  Might as well stick up for yourself.  The second chop, while Scott was being interevened by others, was pretty bad.  But I still say Scott looks worse than Kessel here, by a healthy margin.  And I'm no Kessel fan.

Scott saying that he was 'joking', is a very sorry excuse for damage control, after the fact.  He came right out after the fight, went right up to Kessel and said something with a very 'non-joking' look on his face.  Then he threw down the gloves and jumped him as soon as he flinched.  This is the guy who tried to smash into two college kids with his car because they mouthed off to him at Michigan Tech.  The only joke is when Scott cashes an NHL paycheck.

The McLaren hit was snap reaction, albeit a brutal one.  There is no way that McLaren had the time, or the brain function to assess the toughness of Montreal's bench before clipping Zednik.  That happened really fast.  I think that general team toughness is sometimes a deterrant to dirty play.  Having a big thug at the end of the bench isn't. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think that general team toughness is sometimes a deterrant to dirty play.  Having a big thug at the end of the bench isn't. 

Agreed - that was my point about the Bruins and Jets. Adding MacIntyre isn't going to change Edmonton's team toughness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not sure of any meaning to it, but it's worth noting that according to the boxscore NAS posted Odjick had been tossed from the game for fighting Stock about half a minute before the McLaren Zednik incident.

Sections
Shortcuts