How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Re: How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

Old time hockey at its very best. If there's no physical threat and no intimidation then there's no point. It may not be the point of the game but it is a necessary by-product.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The proper result would be for all GMs to collude and stop employing these dopes."

This is going to happen, Bruins should start in October!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Not sure of any meaning to it, but it's worth noting that according to the boxscore NAS posted Odjick had been tossed from the game for fighting Stock about half a minute before the McLaren Zednik incident.

Good find red, that's just as valid as him not dressing in my book.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not sure of any meaning to it, but it's worth noting that according to the boxscore NAS posted Odjick had been tossed from the game for fighting Stock about half a minute before the McLaren Zednik incident.

I didn't look that deeply into it.  The "police power is required" crowd will assert that McLaren was now free to do as he choses with no fear.

That, of course, is absurd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Agreed NAS - just noticed it so I thought I'd mention it. I'm a little baffled as to the relevance of one cheap shot ten years ago. Not to mention it was a Bruins/Habs game. Crap's always going to happen between those two teams regardless of who is in the lineup. It started when Art Ross was running the team and will continue well after we're all dead. Whether the Canadiens ice a goon or not will never change that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Agreed NAS - just noticed it so I thought I'd mention it. I'm a little baffled as to the relevance of one cheap shot ten years ago. Not to mention it was a Bruins/Habs game. Crap's always going to happen between those two teams regardless of who is in the lineup. It started when Art Ross was running the team and will continue well after we're all dead. Whether the Canadiens ice a goon or not will never change that.

As I recall (not looking anything up), the Bruins were getting smoked that game pretty good, and as I recall (not watching the video now) Zednick was freewheeling with the puck.  I think McLaren wanted to send a message that even tho they were losing, there's not going to be any free lunch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

For what its worth on this topic, I just watched an interview with Scott in which he said ''just doing my job'' ''I would have tried to go with whoever lined up next to me'' also ''i woulda been mad too if I saw someone go after our star player''

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I will always think of Lucic steamrolling Miller as a reason to employ the Goon. I don't know if Buffalo's lack of size and toughness had any bearing on what Lucic did, but if Scott is there does he do it? We will never know. We all know that it didn't protect Marc Savard, even with Lucic on the ice. (I still think everyone was so stunned by what happened they didn't know what to do. ) If a team is wearing your team down by tough physical hockey, and you don't have those types of players, how do you combat that? I'm guessing that you send out a Goon.   

Personally I don't want them out there, but pretty much all the GM's do have them on their team, even the good GM's (Ken Holland and P.C. to drop a few names). On the radio today, they asked Feester (example of a bad GM) if he was bringing in a heavyweight, and he said "of course" (paraphrase).  

So at this point, pretty much all teams think they are a necessity in a Regular Season of 82 games, where your team has to go into enemy buildings, where they have little to no talent, with little to no chance of winning, unless they get can get under the skin of the better visiting team. And, how do you Entertain your paying public if you won't even put up a fight (figuratively, and literally!) ?    

If you outlaw the enforcer, through various penalties, what will the outcome be? 1- More rats, like Linsman? 2- Bigger stronger SOFT players that wouldn't make it, now have a chance to play because they aren't afraid? 3- More smaller skilled players get a chance?   

I don't know, but if the Olympics are any indication, it can only get better.             

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

I didn't look that deeply into it.  The "police power is required" crowd will assert that McLaren was now free to do as he choses with no fear.

That, of course, is absurd.

[/QUOTE]

You asked for an example and I found one.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I will always think of Lucic steamrolling Miller as a reason to employ the Goon. I don't know if Buffalo's lack of size and toughness had any bearing on what Lucic did, but if Scott is there does he do it? We will never know. We all know that it didn't protect Marc Savard, even with Lucic on the ice. (I still think everyone was so stunned by what happened they didn't know what to do. ) If a team is wearing your team down by tough physical hockey, and you don't have those types of players, how do you combat that? I'm guessing that you send out a Goon.   

Personally I don't want them out there, but pretty much all the GM's do have them on their team, even the good GM's (Ken Holland and P.C. to drop a few names). On the radio today, they asked Feester (example of a bad GM) if he was bringing in a heavyweight, and he said "of course" (paraphrase).  

So at this point, pretty much all teams think they are a necessity in a Regular Season of 82 games, where your team has to go into enemy buildings, where they have little to no talent, with little to no chance of winning, unless they get can get under the skin of the better visiting team. And, how do you Entertain your paying public if you won't even put up a fight (figuratively, and literally!) ?    

If you outlaw the enforcer, through various penalties, what will the outcome be? 1- More rats, like Linsman? 2- Bigger stronger SOFT players that wouldn't make it, now have a chance to play because they aren't afraid? 3- More smaller skilled players get a chance?   

I don't know, but if the Olympics are any indication, it can only get better.             

Good post perry

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[QUOTE]

As I recall (not looking anything up), the Bruins were getting smoked that game pretty good, and as I recall (not watching the video now) Zednick was freewheeling with the puck.  I think McLaren wanted to send a message that even tho they were losing, there's not going to be any free lunch.

[/QUOTE]

B's dominated that game BH

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

So the edict from the NHLPA is remove the other guys helmet as Phil did. Phil apparently played LaCrosse in Wisconsin (leg whack) and watched Ivan Putski give the eye rake quite a bit.

Scott, Thornton and the rest of the bozos know it's almost the end of the line. Get rid of these bums!

The Putski eye rake is acceptable but the Adrian Adonis feather duster chop and the Chief Jay Strongbow tomahawk slash are forbidden.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As far as McClaren nailing Zednik, it was a good check.In true Hab fashion Zednik was trying to run up the score by waltzing by Kyle to get his hattrick but alas it didn't work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yeah it was a good check except for the elbow to the face!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Beat me to it hang, that check was awful. Nothing good, clean or legal about it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Yeah i thought the B's lost that game but they actually won. Zednik was going for the hattrick though. I thought the check was ok, but thats just me. I thought Chara/Movie Max check was ok too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bruins were winning the game and the series when McLaren through the hit.  They crapped out the rest of the series immediately thereafter and Robbie Ftorek, instead of matching the rhetoric from Therrien, went all droopy dog and the players seemed to follow suit.  Shabs got fired up, Bruins should have been fired.  Zednik's head hit McLaren's upper arm, not his elbow.  Zednik was continuing to try to score in a game that was decided.  McLaren hit him and missed with the shoulder.

Are you not entertained?!?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It was a pretty nasty bit of work. Considering it was a schab, and Zednik to boot, I found it hard to back. Not the same level as that scum bag from Pittsburgh (who shall remain nameless)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

You should watch it again and in slow motion if you can.  No attempt to make contact with the body, McClarren clearly hold his arm out and goes right for Zedniks head.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

You should watch it again and in slow motion if you can.  No attempt to make contact with the body, McClarren clearly hold his arm out and goes right for Zedniks head.

I just did, your right, principle point of contact was Kyle's elbow to Zednik's nose. 11 years ago and my memory is foggy.I remember at the time thinking Zednik shouldn't have been freewheeling for the hattrick but the check was bad. Good thing for youtube. ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The more i think of it, the more I think Kessel/Flynn deserves it's own thread. Gotta admit, I didnt think Kessel had it in him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The funny thing is as a B's fan the more time that passes the more a Bruins check that went wrong becomes a little more fuzzy, they don't seem as dirty and the recipient is more deserving. Youtube refreshes things a bit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

*threw

Davey, slo mo distorts it.  He has him lined up until the last move Zednik makes, and it's all rapido rapido.

Also, perry, I don't think the Olympics are any indication of what a fighting-free NHL would be like. Sure, there are no goons and no fighting, but you're also dealing with the very best players in the world. I wonder if Canada vs. Germany would be more exciting if the rules were more like the NHL - give the Germans more options in terms of playing the game.  Hockey can be a game of sublime skill - and sublime violence.  If you don't have the skill but can do the violence, you challenge the skill guys to show their courage, not just their skills.  I like that.

I also think we have the worst of both worlds right now.  There's no deterrent for the little pukes and punks because the goons don't intimidate.  They just fight each other in a sideshow.  So we have pukes galore and skating clowns.

Are you not entertained?!?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You asked for an example and I found one.  

Oh Hang, come on.  You guess at one and by pure luck the circumstances supported the selection. 

Let me be more specific, as the Police Power boys are seeking the loopholes.

During a regular or post season game, can someone give me an example of a player being injured because another team's player was "taking liberties" due to the fact that there we no goons on the opposition roster?

Not looking for preseason stupidity.  There's plenty of that.

Not looking for "amazingly coincidental circumstances that support the point".

I'm looking for Team A doesn't have a goon.  Team B's players are "taking liberties" with Team A's star because they're not worried about payback and Team A's star gets injured.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The more i think of it, the more I think Kessel/Flynn deserves it's own thread. Gotta admit, I didnt think Kessel had it in him.

He definetly held his own! Couldnt believe it.

Sections
Shortcuts