How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: How is there no Kessel vs. John Scott thread yet?!

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Also, the "unwritten code" is the founding legislation of Clownville.  The only provisions of said code should be that you don't use your stick to attempt to injure, you don't use the ice or boards as a weapon, no kicking (skates, after all...) and no eye gouges or cup shots.

The code is redundant anyway.  The deterrent that should keep Scott from grabbing Kessel is Orr grabbing Vanek.  Or McLaren grabbing Myers.  I'll say it until I'm blue - if Thornton tunes up Crosby after the Cooke hit on Savard, the Penguins think long and hard about having that guy on the roster.

Are you not entertained?!?!

I would have had no issue with ST grabbing Crosby.  Actually said it at the time.  However, if ST went after Crosby and Crosby said nut s to this eat my stick...i would have had no problem with this.  Clarkson was on hockey central today.  Said scott knew he did wrong and was apologetic.  

Really, my only issue with guys who are overmatched using their sticks, is doesn't that licence the attacker to use his stick, too?  Thornton reaches for Crosby and starts to shed the gloves, but before he does, Crosby swings a 300 degree arc at ST's kidney height, so ST hangs on to the stick and gives Crosby a sharp thwack on the side of the knee, then uses the opening to move in and start punching.  Isn't that a foreseeable escalation if we allow for the smaller guy's stickwork?

we arent allowing it and i wasnt against the suspension either.  But if some guy is brought in to fight and is gonna jump a datsyuk, a crosby a kessel, a bergie, a ovi.   I have no issue with these guys cracking this dumb dumb.  I wouldnt want my top guys taking a punch from this guy.  Our clown didnt do so well.  I dont fault kessel one bit.  I fault scott. And actually buffalos coach.  He sent him on for a reason.  Had he thrown vanek out it doesnt happen.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I have no beef with Kessel backing off and taking the first swing with the stick. I thought the second swing was incredibly weak, considering Scott was already engaged. Kind of reminded me of Crosby pushing Chara when there were 3 people between them.

I had tons of respect for Kessel after he was clearly carrying the Leafs in the series in May. He's changed his game entirely from his days as a Bruin, and instead of just feeding off Savard and finishing his brilliant passes, he's creating for all of his teammates now.

He's not a tough guy, never will be. Anybody who thinks he's a coward for backing off from a fight that he was a 10,000:1 underdog is just fooling themselves, and is looking for a reason to bash him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No issue with him backing off, but...did the first swing even make contact, or is he so much faster than Scott that he had skated to a safe distance before even swining?  Get out the way, fine.  Use the stick?  Not fine.

I don't think anyone is saying Kessel should have fought Scott.  That would be stupid.  But I sure didn't like the panic, swing the stick and go back in as part of the pack.  That's all one mental reaction that I don't care for.

Rechannelling that emotion to pummell Flynn worked out okay for him, though.  He was happy enough accepting congratulations from the bench after that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Same as Guy...Thing, I thought the first chop was okay.  Not good, but considering the absurdity of the moment, it was no more ridiculous that Scott jumping Kessel because his teammate lost a fight that he initiated.  The second chop was worth a suspension, but personally I still don't really begrudge Kessel for it.  Bush league move in a bush league situation.  Ho hum.

I will agree that Kessel's apparent pride and preening at the end of it was a bit annoying.  

Yes Phil, you won a fight against another small, non-fighter who only came after you because you were swinging your stick like a lumberjack at the back of a player who was being restrained (thank your stars) by a teammate.  Let's not start flexing for the crowd, Hulkster. 

Both sides seem so unlikable to me (pardon me, LRH).  It feels like coming up on a car accident between a van of terrorists that crashed into a van of pedophiles.  You can kind of just enjoy the carnage...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Same as Guy...Thing, I thought the first chop was okay.  Not good, but considering the absurdity of the moment, it was no more ridiculous that Scott jumping Kessel because his teammate lost a fight that he initiated.  The second chop was worth a suspension, but personally I still don't really begrudge Kessel for it.  Bush league move in a bush league situation.  Ho hum.

I will agree that Kessel's apparent pride and preening at the end of it was a bit annoying.  

Yes Phil, you won a fight against another small, non-fighter who only came after you because you were swinging your stick like a lumberjack at the back of a player who was being restrained (thank your stars) by a teammate.  Let's not start flexing for the crowd, Hulkster. 

Both sides seem so unlikable to me (pardon me, LRH).  It feels like coming up on a car accident between a van of terrorists that crashed into a van of pedophiles.  You can kind of just enjoy the carnage...

I remember Dino and he was no angle.  He used his lumber a lot.  Goalies hated him.  But you are always weary of those guys who have a loose marble or two.  Leafs fans will love clarkson and kessel more bc of this.  That team reminds me a lot of the 2011 cup winning team.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to marco0863's comment:

a goon should never go against a skilled player. Its  a players unwritten code. If so that skilled player will use any means to defend himself.  Skilled players popularize the sport and the goons should respect that. Scott has no reason to go after Kessel no matter the talk.If the Nhl was composed mostly of goons the league would go bankrupt so Mr. Scott thank guys like Kessel that u even have a well paying job

And an unskilled writer should never go against someone who is literate.  It's an unwritten code in the forum.  If it happens, the literate person will use any means to defend himself.  Coherent and readable posts make the forum popular and unskilled writes should respect that.  Or try to write intelligibly, I say you last about a second.

cut it out this has nothing to do with the writing and u know it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

I have no beef with Kessel backing off and taking the first swing with the stick. I thought the second swing was incredibly weak, considering Scott was already engaged. Kind of reminded me of Crosby pushing Chara when there were 3 people between them.

I had tons of respect for Kessel after he was clearly carrying the Leafs in the series in May. He's changed his game entirely from his days as a Bruin, and instead of just feeding off Savard and finishing his brilliant passes, he's creating for all of his teammates now.

He's not a tough guy, never will be. Anybody who thinks he's a coward for backing off from a fight that he was a 10,000:1 underdog is just fooling themselves, and is looking for a reason to bash him.

He's not, and neither is Flynn, but I was shocked at how well he did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I remember Dino and he was no angle.  He used his lumber a lot.  Goalies hated him.  But you are always weary of those guys who have a loose marble or two.  Leafs fans will love clarkson and kessel more bc of this.  That team reminds me a lot of the 2011 cup winning team.  

Went to one of their pre-season games and I can't say I share your optimism re: the 2013-14 Laffs.  Clarkson did not look at all like a coveted free agent.  Colborne was invisible.  I was watching for him but didn't actually register that he took the ice until the beginning of the third.  Sloppy, ugly hockey and no Kessel in that game, but some of the new, key guys in Toronto did nothing to suggest they're impact players.  van Riemsdyk looked better the last time I saw him in that building, beating the crap out of Latvia.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Went to one of their pre-season games and I can't say I share your optimism re: the 2013-14 Laffs.  Clarkson did not look at all like a coveted free agent.  Colborne was invisible.  I was watching for him but didn't actually register that he took the ice until the beginning of the third.  Sloppy, ugly hockey and no Kessel in that game, but some of the new, key guys in Toronto did nothing to suggest they're impact players.  van Riemsdyk looked better the last time I saw him in that building, beating the crap out of Latvia.

Did you feel the bruins 2011 were gonna win the cup.  I had hope but didnt have them as favorites.  The leafs are very physical.  Two good young goalies.  And their fwds are fast.  Raymond was a steal at 1m.  I think they are very strong.  They also have kadri who looks like the real deal.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Both sides seem so unlikable to me (pardon me, LRH).  It feels like coming up on a car accident between a van of terrorists that crashed into a van of pedophiles.  You can kind of just enjoy the carnage...

Oh wow did I laugh out loud on that one. And, I just stole it from you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[/QUOTE]

used to love the battles with Roy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYJ0TfA_pNY

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

i would've had more respect for Kessel had he stood there and hung on for dear life until help arrived instead of swinging his stick and then jabbing it into Scott's ribs while the latter was engaging with Clarkson....

and this isn't the first time that Kessel's taken swipes at opponents with his stick and if he keeps that up, i wouldn't be surprised to see teammates stop coming to his rescue.... 

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I just don't see it, shupe.  Three big differences: 1) Phaneuf isn't Chara; 2) Neither Bernier nor Reimer is Tim Thomas; 3) the Bruins' physicality is throughout the lineup.  The Leafs are depending on a few players to carry that physicality.  Of those key guys, the only one I think is both physical and a top six forward is Clarkson.  A top line of Kessel, Lupul and Kadri or Bozek isn't physical no matter how often Lupul flexes with his shirt off.  Neither is Kadri/Bozek with Kulemin and Raymond or van Reimsdyk.  Bolland, McClement, the two clowns, Carter Ashton - all bottom six guys who can play heavy.  The D is even less imposing.  Phaneuf - heck, you almost want him to try to throw big hits now.  Gunnarson, Liles, Gardiner, Holzer, Franson, Ranger....  Only Fraser has some serious strength.  Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid - all play heavy, and Ference was no pushover.

I think back to last year's series and how the Bruins could dominate the Leaf D zone for an entire period - just impose their will - because they were bigger, stronger, and meaner than that Leafs D.  A couple of physical wingers isn't going to change that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yeah, I just don't see it, shupe.  Three big differences: 1) Phaneuf isn't Chara; 2) Neither Bernier nor Reimer is Tim Thomas; 3) the Bruins' physicality is throughout the lineup.  The Leafs are depending on a few players to carry that physicality.  Of those key guys, the only one I think is both physical and a top six forward is Clarkson.  A top line of Kessel, Lupul and Kadri or Bozek isn't physical no matter how often Lupul flexes with his shirt off.  Neither is Kadri/Bozek with Kulemin and Raymond or van Reimsdyk.  Bolland, McClement, the two clowns, Carter Ashton - all bottom six guys who can play heavy.  The D is even less imposing.  Phaneuf - heck, you almost want him to try to throw big hits now.  Gunnarson, Liles, Gardiner, Holzer, Franson, Ranger....  Only Fraser has some serious strength.  Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid - all play heavy, and Ference was no pushover.

I think back to last year's series and how the Bruins could dominate the Leaf D zone for an entire period - just impose their will - because they were bigger, stronger, and meaner than that Leafs D.  A couple of physical wingers isn't going to change that.

I think toronto is much faster with more offensive skill then the 2011 Bruins.  I think adding clarkson and bolland is huge.  Its about changing the identity.  kadri will be a year older and he likes to bang.  Outside of lucic horton who were our big dominant bangers up front.  Our 4th line is  one of the best in recent memory.  But ryder, recchi, bergie, dk arent huge guys.  

I think adding bolland and clarkson rounds out their top 9 by adding experience, heart and grit.  Bolland when on his game is pretty darn special.  

On the back end the leafs are deep. No chara but no one has that.  But they are good in small spaces and physical.  All pretty young and mobile. I like the ranger addition.   seidz wasnt a house hold name till that run, boychuk is prone to gaffs and i dont think mcQ is very good at well...anything.  Hes tough as nails but gets beat frequently.  once you take chara outta the bruins def picture its just avg.  ference was awesome during that run.  Kaberle? Not so much.  

tt also is a big difference.  But reimer sorta reminds me of him. Same kinda me against the world. And having two young guys battling isnt always a bad thing.  

They will be fun to watch.  

Sections
Shortcuts