How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

from upstate NY,
    started bleedin black and gold in 1970 listening to "goal bruins" at the tender age of 6 on the south shore. first memory that stayed was in 72 when they won the last cup watching Sandy smoking a but during his post game interview. A different time for sure. 
    TEAR IT UP BRUINS!!! GO FOR IT!!!!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In addition to the original question (great thread...this stuff is gold during the down time), how many of you guys/gals played and for how long / what teams?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joken04. Show joken04's posts

1968, I was 6

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

My Dad was a Habs fan ....my parents called Richard cause Maurice Rocket Richard was a heroe in Mtl in those days ...when I started to watch hockey my dad use to take me to the Mtl Forum ...until one day Bobby Orr made his debut in the NHL ...I couldnt believe my eyes watching this kid at such a young age with so much talent, told my dad I became a BRUINS fan  ...I bought myself a special antenna to watch all Bruins games on channel 22 ...some nights I had a bad connection I would listen the games on radio ....and always been a BRUINS fan since than......over 42 years ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    Since we have a 4 or 5 day wait for the conference finals, I thought I would start this thread for us Bruins fans to get to know each other a little more & see how far back we all go with this team. It all started for me in 1982 when I was 10 yrs. old. (29 years & counting!) It was the year the Bruins aquired Pete Peters from the Flyers for Brad McCrimmon. Being a goalie myself, Peters was my first idol when I was young, which attracted me to the Bruins when they got him & the rest is history. As an added bonus, Peters won the Vezina Trophy in his first year with the Bruins. The last time the B's won the cup was the year I was born, hopefully that changes this year!! Anyone else? No trolls please!!  
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Since 1958. My uncle took me to a rangers game in ny.  When I found out that a "BRUIN" was a bear, I thought that was pretty neat. I picked Leo Boivan as my first favorite player.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

1969, earliest recollections was the Bobby Orr/B's Cup album after they won in 69-70...(had one for Impossible Dream, Yaz, 1967)....
    25 Bruins I enjoyed watching the most:
    1. Orr
    2. Cheevers
    3. Bourque
    4. Neely
    5. Oates
    6. Middleton
    7. Thomas
    8. Esposito
    9. O"Reilly
    10. Samsonov
    11. Cashman
    12. Marcotte
    13. Savard
    14. Ratelle
    15. Park
    16. Chara
    17. Allison
    18. Pederson (Barry, not Allen)
    19. Peeters
    20. Thornton (Jumbo, not Shawn)
    21. Linseman
    22. Poulin
    23. Dafoe
    24. Glen Murray
    25. Nylander

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

My first Bruins game was 1955. I was so excited . The only memory I still have of the game was was standing at the end of a long corridor watching the players come out on the ice. They seemed like giants ,all battled scarred and toothless . Walking oot with skates on made them look larger than life.

They were playing the Canadiens

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Great to hear everyone's stories on when & how they became Bruins fans. Still waiting to hear from Dez, SanDawg, Fletch & NAS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Was born a Bs fan, 30 years. But actually watching it and understanding it since I was ~4 or 5. Been a Bs fan since before I knew how to read.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

I'm defin. one of the younger fans some what. Been a fan since i saw Bruins playing in the 80s with O'reilly. So i'd say since i was 4 or 5 years old. I was born in 1980. So that would make out to be 26 years...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

Since Iwas 6...23 years(1988)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Since 1955. I was 7 years old when I went to my first game. Only 6 teams then.
    Still a fan even if I live in FL now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I'm 42 and my parents were Italian immigrants. When my father arrived in this country he could not find any soccer so Hockey became his adopted game. My earliest recollections were around 1972 and I was INSTANTLY hooked. I was (am) so hooked on this team that my teachers thought it was a bit over the top and would call my parents in to talk about my "obsessive" behavior. I remember my kindergarten teacher talking to another adult and telling her that she had gone to a Bruins game and there were "about 20,000 people there" I politely interrupted and told them that the Garden fits 14,492 for a Bruins game. They stared at me in silence. I was 4.
    Terry O'Reilly was once asked by a stranger what he did for a living. He replied that he played for the Boston Bruins and that he had goosebumps when he said it. I still get goosebumps every time I even THINK of that story.
    GO BRUINS !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

1 more Bruins story while I'm on a roll:
    When I was 5 or 6 I remember going to Star Market with my parents for our weekly food shopping. I'm walking down the aisle and see this big man walking in my direction and immediately recognized him as being Gilles Gilbert (my idol at the time). He was gracious and took the time to speak with me and sign an autograph. 5 minutes later I'm walking by the deli counter and there's Andre Savard. He must have noticed me staring at him because he walked over to me and said "Do you want my autograph ?'. Of course I said yes and then I told him that Gilles Gilbert was also here. He asked where he was and so I walked the aisles with Andre Savard until we located Gilbert. They were across the aisle from each other and struck up this loud, 30 yard, conversation in FRENCH. Pretty cool moment as a kid. I'll never forget that. GO BRUINS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In Response to Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    When I was born, probably within the first few minutes, my father surely said "son, pick your allegiances now, if it is anything other than the bruins, you're going up for adoption."  Little did he know that I was already thinking, "Hello father, nice to meet you, you better be a Bruins fan or I am going to run away when I am 14, start doing hard drugs, and vote for the NDP." Luckily all worked out.
    Posted by Rufus604

This post was good.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Earliest memories are listening to radio braodcasts late at night when I was about 6, late 1968ish. Only got HNIC on Sat and the Bs were only on a few times a yr so radio was needed. That would make it about 42 years.

My garage door has a giant Bruins logo painted on it. Birthday present from my wife and daughter about 8 years ago!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

1979, Whole family of Uncles and Cousins were band-wagon Habs fans (uneducated "pick the favourite" Yankees/Cowboys type fans).

One on my cousins was a B's fan and when they lost that game, everyone taunted him to tears.

I was now a fan of the underdogs in black that hit/fought all comers.

Canucks were my favourite up to that point, but the B's identity fit my sensibility.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chi-Chi. Show Chi-Chi's posts

I went to my first Bruins when I was 13.  I could walk to Lechmere from house in near Donnelly Field. Took the green line to North Station and bought an upper balcony seat (nickname so politically incorrect - I can't use) for about $3 (or less
    That was in '65 and Pre-Bobby Orr, the Greatest hockey player of all time. In those days you could hang out in the garden lobby and talk with the players. I remember Pie McKenzie as a friendly guy. The following years saw the Bruins beat the Rangers to clinch 5th place - not enough to make the playoffs (original 6) but the garden erupted. STH now and loving every minute of it. Hope as many fans return to the game as possible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I had always watched the B's with my Fam, but I would say that I wasn't truly a fan until I began playing at age 5, approximately 28 years ago.  Right after my first hockey practice my father bought me a couple sets of cards which I spent the next week sifting through, organizing the players by team.  I've been a die hard pretty much ever since.

I played from 1983 until 1996.

Youth Hockey thru High School.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i became a real Bruins fan when I was in B.C. High [ 1946-1949], the real B.C. High taught mostly by Jesuit priests or those studying to be. The "campus" was Northhampton St. and St. James Ave. No glossy brochures. But my first game was when my favorite Aunt took me to a game when I was 4 [ 1936]. She always claimed that after 10 minutes i asked her "What's next?", so I'll stick with High School, right after WWll. Me and Milty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I started watching hockey and cheering for the Bruins in 70-71.  The first Stanley Cup final I watched was Chicago vs Montreal and then I saw the Bruins beat the Rangers for the Cup the next year.  I was not quite 8 years old.  I was devastated when the Bruins lost to the Flyers in 73-74 (damn Parent) and I didn't realize that almost 40 years later I would still be waiting to see them win another Cup.  Man it would be the sweetest thing if they could do it this year.  With Vancouver and San Jose sputtering along, if they can beat Tampa, they may have the edge going into the final. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

I'd give it 18 years, I guess.  It started out being a little tough to follow the B's since I was in school and didn't have a lot of money for a TV package with NESN.  If I hadn't gone away to school, I might have stuck with watching local amateur teams instead of the NHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

I am a Bruins fan living in Toronto
    b's fan since 1970 but remember the 1972 cup win over the Rangers I was eleven. watched Phil Espo lead Canada over the Russians in 72

Sections
Shortcuts