How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

In Response to Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    1969, earliest recollections was the Bobby Orr/B's Cup album after they won in 69-70...(had one for Impossible Dream, Yaz, 1967).... 25 Bruins I enjoyed watching the most: 1. Orr 2. Cheevers 3. Bourque 4. Neely 5. Oates 6. Middleton 7. Thomas 8. Esposito 9. O"Reilly 10. Samsonov 11. Cashman 12. Marcotte 13. Savard 14. Ratelle 15. Park 16. Chara 17. Allison 18. Pederson (Barry, not Allen) 19. Peeters 20. Thornton (Jumbo, not Shawn) 21. Linseman 22. Poulin 23. Dafoe 24. Glen Murray 25. Nylander
    Posted by dannycater

That is an wicked awesome list!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I went to visit some relatives that had moved from Delaware to outside of Boston back in January of 1973. I saw a few Bruins games on TV during that visit and have been a diehard fan ever since.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

My family lived in Kingston in the 60s when the Bruins took players from everywhere including the Junior A team there -they saw some stars come up. I was born in 69, and I have a bottle of whiskey unopened dated 1972 that will be sacrificed on the next cup [hope it doesn't make it to 40 years]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

37 long years...1974....this will be the year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dickfromeastham. Show dickfromeastham's posts

since 1970" Out in front Sanderson to Orr!!! Bobby Orr!!! and the Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

Not that long. I'm from Connecticut and my story is a bit different. Grew up a Whaler fan. They left when I was 20 and after a denial period I said f them. Didn't watch much hockey (or other sports) for a while. Spent my early 20's barhopping and chasing girls. When I settled down, I watched NESN. I like Boston sports and I don't like NY sports teams. The Bruins really grew on me around 03-04. I love Bergeron's game.
        A lot of Ct. hockey fans hate the B's because they were Hartford rivals. They mostly became fans of other teams ie Rangers, Devils. I always respected the Bruins, Buffalo, Quebec. I hated the habs and still do.
        Then there are fans of the B's for much longer than me who don't consider me a "real fan". I watch almost every game and am pretty die-hard.
        There must be a support group out there for hockey fans like me ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    Since we have a 4 or 5 day wait for the conference finals, I thought I would start this thread for us Bruins fans to get to know each other a little more & see how far back we all go with this team. It all started for me in 1982 when I was 10 yrs. old. (29 years & counting!) It was the year the Bruins aquired Pete Peters from the Flyers for Brad McCrimmon. Being a goalie myself, Peters was my first idol when I was young, which attracted me to the Bruins when they got him & the rest is history. As an added bonus, Peters won the Vezina Trophy in his first year with the Bruins. The last time the B's won the cup was the year I was born, hopefully that changes this year!! Anyone else? No trolls please!!  
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Since 1965. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Not that long. I'm from Connecticut and my story is a bit different. Grew up a Whaler fan. They left when I was 20 and after a denial period I said f them. Didn't watch much hockey (or other sports) for a while. Spent my early 20's barhopping and chasing girls. When I settled down, I watched NESN. I like Boston sports and I don't like NY sports teams. The Bruins really grew on me around 03-04. I love Bergeron's game.     A lot of Ct. hockey fans hate the B's because they were Hartford rivals. They mostly became fans of other teams ie Rangers, Devils. I always respected the Bruins, Buffalo, Quebec. I hated the habs and still do.     Then there are fans of the B's for much longer than me who don't consider me a "real fan". I watch almost every game and am pretty die-hard.     There must be a support group out there for hockey fans like me ;)
    Posted by burythehabs

You are on it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Since 1991, I was 10 years old. Growing up in Sweden, we didn't get much more than "Original Six" teams from across the pond so Boston was on quite a few times whenever NHL hockey was shown (probably several days after the game was actually played but I cheered as if it was live..) Vlad Ruzicka ended up scoring 39 goals that year I just found out (Wikipedia), wow..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Since about 1994 when I was nine and Adam Oates was my first favorite player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from actionjaxson. Show actionjaxson's posts

I began watching the Bruins when I was 10, 1968..it was also that time I received a Montreal/Leafs rod hockey game...Never looked back, loved hockey ever since.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Where is NAS and SanDawg ?...Would love to hear their Bruin beginings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aldo56. Show aldo56's posts

Started watching in 1969-70 season,  picked a great time to start!!!!  I was 13

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Cool Posts, didnt realize many of you are older than I thought. I started being a bruins fan in 89-90. Growing up in Columbus Ohio, but being born in West Springfield, MA, I chose the Bruins because they were from the same state I was born and we still had 10 years before we would get the Blue Jackets. Cam Neely was another reason for loving the B's, my favorite player. Since hockey wasnt on TV back then (in Columbus) I would listen to the games on AM radio (1030) while doing homework. Amazing i could get the games with moving my antenna just right living in Columbus. I would get up really early so I could watch ESPN and tape all the Bruins Highlight and made an all Neely tape the year he scored 50 in 40 some games and beat several Nordique players to school the goalie. That was all I could do, other than going to the sports bar and watching them. Good memories.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

For about 36 years. My father had season tickets and he and I would go to games together from 90 to 95 before he passed away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macacanadiannut. Show Macacanadiannut's posts

45 years a diehard. Watching Bobby Orr in 1966 sold me

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I have been a fan since 1987.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Can't compete with the length of service of a lot of die hards here but was about 2008 I really started to take notice. Grew up in Scotland, now living in London. Hooked up with a NE chick who is now my baby's momma. I got the ESPN subscription so we could watch the Sox but the Bruins grew to be #1 for a number of reasons.

1. I always played football (soccer), and I know this is controversial, but there are a lot of similarities with hockey so it was easier to follow.

2. My local team, Dundee Rockets, was awesome back in the day and there were a lot of kids my age would watch British hockey cos it used to be shown on the BBC. I even went to a few games with my dad even though, I'll come clean, I never played and I can't even skate all that good.

3. The bloke who sat next to me at work that season was from Toronto so it gave us something to talk about. That kid Kessel was on a tear. How ironic, ha ha.

4. The NE connection made it a given I'd follow a Boston team. Even made it to the Garden season before last for the Thanksgiving game against Jersey where the Bruins played with a 1st line made up of 1 legit 1st line player (2 if your name is StanleyCupToTheBruins) Wheeler-Savard-Bitz.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Since about 1994 when I was nine and Adam Oates was my first favorite player.
    Posted by RawrBear

You are not the first to mention Oates on these boards. He was a very popular Bruin and was missed when Sinden traded him...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I've been a Bruins fan as long as I can remember. The first year I have memories is the '69-'70 season. Those Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins teams have a special place.

In walking home from elementary school, I used to walk past a sporting goods store in Cleary Square that had a poster of the Orr Goal against the Blues in 1970 on the front window. I now have that a copy of that B/W photo (the famous one) and a color photo that was taken  a split second earlier on the wall in my study.

I remember the 1972 finals when I was in the second grade, my mom made me do my homework and take a nap then let me get up on a school night to watch the games.

And I blew threw a lot of batteries as a kid listening to Bob Wilson on my transistor radio during the winter (and Ned Martin and the Red Sox during the summer). My mom would come in and turn off the radio then I'd turn it on real low under the covers, fall asleep then search for new batteries the next day.

My friends and I would play street hockey nearly all winter. I lived on a dead end road on a hill and I had goalie nets and we'd play at the end of the street.

Bobby Orr was my favorite player -- I had a black No. 4 Bruins jersey -- but I also used to mark up a goalie mask like Cheevers.

Loved those teams of the 1970s, the Orr-Espo teams and the Ratelle-Park teams. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Really miss the games on 1030 AM, listened to them for 40 years in Ontario and then in Newfoundland, could pick the games up almost any where.

My older brother bought an old radio at an auction sale and the reception was perfect thru the 70's.

Now if I'm not on internet, I can't hear the games as the 98.5 does not come through.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

I have been a fan since 1987.
    Posted by PAULICAS1975

Is that you or your girlfriend?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from drooski50. Show drooski50's posts

since 1967 i was lucky to see god number 4 and watch games religously .go bruins

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

41 years! They are the ONLY team I stand behind and root for through good times and bad!

Baseball bores me.
    Football has turned into one big commercial
    Basketball - ugghh...awful

Sections
Shortcuts