How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

Since we have a 4 or 5 day wait for the conference finals, I thought I would start this thread for us Bruins fans to get to know each other a little more & see how far back we all go with this team. It all started for me in 1982 when I was 10 yrs. old. (29 years & counting!) It was the year the Bruins aquired Pete Peters from the Flyers for Brad McCrimmon. Being a goalie myself, Peters was my first idol when I was young, which attracted me to the Bruins when they got him & the rest is history. As an added bonus, Peters won the Vezina Trophy in his first year with the Bruins. The last time the B's won the cup was the year I was born, hopefully that changes this year!! Anyone else? No trolls please!!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?

Since birth.  My dearest mother had me in a knitted Bruins jumper soon after.  So, about 33 long years.  Makes victories like last night all the more sweet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Became my team to cheer for in 72 when they won their last cup, at the ripe old age of 9, making me a fan for 39 yrs. now. And yes.......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long between Cup victories!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

69 thats 1969 ,hello to all them sun baith bruins  lady fans dowm in FL, you all now who  you are ,woot woot go Bruins IN 7

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

About forty years now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeZanussi. Show JoeZanussi's posts

I started avidly following the B's in 1971.  Our local team then, the Syracuse Blazers of the ECHL, were a farm team of the Bruins and wore the black  & gold.  Of course, this coincided with the rise of the Big Bad Bruins, and how could you not love Bobby Orr?
    Plus, my older brother was a Rangers fan ('72 Cup was sweet for me), and we would go at it both in the street with our Mylec gear, and on our table top rod hockey game.  I used to listen to the booming voice of Bob Wilson on WBZ radio.  The only times I got to actually watch the Bruins on TV, was when they were on the game of the week (Peter Puck), or when my cousin had me over for Hockey Night in Canada (he had "rotary" tv).  PBS would always broadcast the cup finals, albeit on tape delay.  Now, my 25 year old son and I watch the games together and we made our first trip to the TD garden this season.  We've got the FEVER!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Watched games on TV-38 back in the early 80s. Remember getting pumped when Nutty came on, which signaled time to go get my glove and some tennis balls, pretend to be Pete Peeters, and see if dad could fling them by me. Broke many lamps and annoyed my mom, but it was worth it.

Sat in the front row of the balcony at the Garden my first game back in 1982. Remember the yellow railing paint was so thick, I could twist the rail and the paint would move.

Grew up going to tons of Maine Mariners games, but got Bruins tix for my birthday every year. Always seemed to be against the Sabres for some reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

For me, it was in the 1979-80 season when I was 6 years old. My cousin played 1 game with the Bruins that year as a back up goalie. Marco Baron is my cousin and so I discovered my love of hockey. 

While I was enjoying watching my cousin play, I almost instantly idolized a certain "nifty" player. Rick Middleton was my first favorite hockey player and the rest, as they say, is history!

32 years and counting...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRRocker. Show BRRocker's posts

1969. I am from Niagara Falls On. Back in the day, the Niagara Falls Flyers     and the Oshawa Generals were both farm clubs for the Bruins. As soon as Bobby Orr and Derek Sanderson became Bruins, so did I.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

earliest recollection i have of pulling for the b's is during the 1969 playoffs, which they lost in 6 games to the habnots....  don't know why i wasn't paying attention during that regular season....

have loved the spoked-B ever since....

but most of the time, especially lately, it's been tough love i must admit....

two cups, and should've been three, in a span of four years does that to a person....

top 5 B'S i've had the pleasure to watch....

1....  #4

2....  R.Bourque
    3....  P.Esposito
    4....  R.Middleton
    5....  B.Park/C.Neely

the gap separating #4 from the rest is purely intentional....

Mr. Orr was that good....

how about your lists?   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

When I was born, probably within the first few minutes, my father surely said "son, pick your allegiances now, if it is anything other than the bruins, you're going up for adoption."  Little did he know that I was already thinking, "Hello father, nice to meet you, you better be a Bruins fan or I am going to run away when I am 14, start doing hard drugs, and vote for the NDP." Luckily all worked out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

The 5 players I enjoyed watching during my time:

1) Cam Neely
    2) Ray Bourque
    3) Rick Middleton
    4) Terry O'Reilly
    5) Andy Moog

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Started following the B's in 68-69.  I made a cassette tape recording of the game Orr scored the Cup winner in OT.  Got to meet him the following year... very gracious, professional, nice person.  Today's pros could learn a lot from him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I will check with  my doctor.  My therapy bill is pretty high.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Mid 80's, when I was old enough to know what was going on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

As a young goalie in the 70's living in the Boston area, of course I had to buy a custom fit Ernie Higgins' mask just like Cheevers and Johnston's.  My best days were finding an excuse to go to Ernie's shop in Norwood and look at all the NHL masks and molds laying around, and maybe buy a Cheevers lie 11 Northland pro goal stick (straight, of course) for the staggering sum of $6 back then!

Those were the days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I am from a New England family dating back to the 1650s, born in NH, raised in Rochester NY.  My Dad took me to watch the Rochester Amerks, Gerry Cheevers in net.  We moved back to NH in 1968, I became a Boston Bruin fan.  Never had to a chance to play hockey on any competitive level, but admire those who are able.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonInSac. Show DonInSac's posts

My father took me to see my first Bruins game at Boston Garden in March of 1967; it was late in my 3rd-grade school year. That night, then-rookie Bobby Orr scored with ten seconds left in the game to tie the New York Rangers. I've been with them ever since, either while growing up and coming of age in the Boston area or later on after I moved to NorCal where outside of the San Jose area, sometimes I get the strangest looks from people when I bring up the subject of hockey. Imagine my surprise when shortly after moving here without my hockey equipment ("What would I need that for in California?"), I found out that there was indeed a men's hockey league here in Sactown. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Typical of Boston suburbs, started watching 68-69 season also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    [QUOTE]Typical of Boston suburbs, started watching 68-69 season also.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Hyde Park.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

Early 60's....living in Chicago(still do). Me & a buddy used to cut school and go downtown to the old LaSalle Hotel to see & talk to the players. Murray Oliver was my favorite B....Forbes Kennedy, Leo Boiven, Tommy Williams, Jerry Toppazinni, all of em great guys....team stunk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Since birth!  I've been wearing hockey skates as long as shoes, and B's were the biggest draw in my household growing up, so 29 years now.  Went to a cup game in 1990 at the old garden to see Edmonton dust us, here's to hoping the B's get another chance to rep the east!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: How long has everyone been a Bruins fan?:
    [QUOTE]I will check with  my doctor.  My therapy bill is pretty high.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    That's classic Shupe, I can definately relate to that!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

As a young boy, I was a leafs fan, and my favorite player was Dave Keon.  In the summer of 66 though, there was a lot of hype about this new kid who would be suiting up for the Bruins in the fall.  In those days, dedicated fans of the game were always buying hockey magazines to get their fix, and there were several.  They all had stories on Bobby Orr.  I bought every one I could.
    I live in the Maritimes, and in 1966, there were very few Bruin fans.  Most were Toronto, Detroit, Montreal and Chicago, the B's and Rangers were pretty much irrelevant for the preceding 20 years, so they had very few die hards out of their home market.
    A buddy of mine, a couple years older, lit the fire, and I ran with it...at the ripe old age of 9, I made the hugely unpopular life altering decision to change my allegiance.
    In my social circles, that was blasphemy...it wasn't supposed to happen.  You stuck with your team forever...no matter what.  And in my circle...at age 9, the only important things in life were hockey, automobiles,baseball, slot car racing and the Beatles.(in that order).  In 66-67, I took a lot of abuse from my friends.  The B's still looked like the old Bruins.  Since then, I've had more to cheer about than most.
    Anyway....45 years later, I'm thankful for all the entertainment, the Bruins have given me over the years. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

for me  i watched ron tugnuts 70 save game  and  i was hooked

Sections
Shortcuts