How many games will Chara get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

How many games will Chara get?

If not for the divider, it wouldn't have even been a penalty. But that's beside the point, it was a bad check with a horrible result. Chara will get suspended IMO and my guess is 5-7 games but should be 1-2 as I believe there was 0 intent to injure or harm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: How many games will Chara get?

Absolutely none, and none are deserved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If the logic of the league office is still (See Cooke, Matt) there has to be a rule that was broken for a suspension, then it will be nothing (you don't get suspended for interference).

If the league office waffles like they usually do (and they will) then Chara will get three games or so.  It will be interested hearing the explanation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to How many games will Chara get?:
    [QUOTE]If not for the divider, it wouldn't have even been a penalty. But that's beside the point, it was a bad check with a horrible result. Chara will get suspended IMO and my guess is 5-7 games but should be 1-2 as I believe there was 0 intent to injure or harm.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    Zero

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Completely boned the post, forgot to add 0.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I'll say 2....I don't think he should get any, but I'll say 2.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's been talked too much and I doubt we'll see another "Get out of jail free" a la Cooke .
    Unlike the Cooke/Savvy incident they called a 5min major and that's probably an automatic 1game.  Cook got no call at all.
    I think it should have been only 2mins for interference but again since he got hurt they elevated the call and therefore the suspension will follow.
    I just hope Chara will be able to play on the 24th this month when the Habs come to Boston.  Other than that look at it as Chara being rested. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

It should be 0 but he will probably get 2 games just to calm down the stupids habs fans in Montreal..as long as Chara is back for the next Mtl-Bruins game ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

i think 3 games.  although i don't think a suspension is sufficient but the league is eager to crack down on anything questionable lately.  Clearly that didn't come into affect with Cooke's non suspension on concussing Savy last year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get?:
    [QUOTE]It should be 0 but he will probably get 2 games just to calm down the stupids habs fans in Montreal..as long as Chara is back for the next Mtl-Bruins game ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

They have no objective to appease a fan base. What does the NHL gain by trying to please the citizens of Montreal. Yeah...like they're going to stop buying tickets or boycott the league if Chara isn't suspended. Seriously: do you think before you hit "Add your reply"?

If they suspend Chara, it's because they're trying to keep up appearances of being "tough against on-ice violence" in the wake of some highly-publicized events over the last 12 months. The reality that comparing Chara's hit to any of Matt Cooke's acts of barbarism is clearly a textbook "apples to oranges" comparison won't matter at that point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Im hearing that per the CBA a phone call procedure, like what Chara is having at noon, the max suspension coming from that is 5 games. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Habs fans will complain about the suspension no matter how long it is, but the NHL doesn't have to appease them. Max is going to be out for a while and Chara will be back before him because I'm guessing that Max might be done for the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]It should be 0 but he will probably get 2 games just to calm down the stupids habs fans in Montreal..as long as Chara is back for the next Mtl-Bruins game ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

Lol.  Stanley, your passion is admirable.

I really wonder how you are able to live in Montreal yet feel this way about 90% of people who live there...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pretty much the consensus from McKenzie and Fluto is two games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : They have no objective to appease a fan base. What does the NHL gain by trying to please the citizens of Montreal. Yeah...like they're going to stop buying tickets or boycott the league if Chara isn't suspended. Seriously: do you think before you hit "Add your reply"? If they suspend Chara, it's because they're trying to keep up appearances of being "tough against on-ice violence" in the wake of some highly-publicized events over the last 12 months. The reality that comparing Chara's hit to any of Matt Cooke's acts of barbarism is clearly a textbook "apples to oranges" comparison won't matter at that point.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    What did the NHL gain by allowing the Habs to have the rights to the 2 french players of their choosing before the rest of the league started the draft?The league has a long history of catering to the needs of the Montreal franchise.
    "The truth is that the number of francophone Quebecers on the team has been in decline since the NHL, in 1969, ended a rule that gave the Habs the choice of picking two homegrown players before any other team could draft them. Recent years have also seen the rise of American and European players in the NHL. (Canadian players once made up 90 percent of the league, now they’re about half.) Quebec players, meanwhile, no longer exclusively dream of lacing skates with the Canadiens — they’re as mercenary about selling their talents to the highest bidder as anyone else."
    I'm not saying you're wrong Kennedy but it's not outrageous to say the league sometimes seems to give preferential treatment to the Habs.Perhaps the Habs dynasty of the 70's would've never been had the draft rules been fair for everyone involved......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : What did the NHL gain by allowing the Habs to have the rights to the 2 french players of their choosing before the rest of the league started the draft?The league has a long history of catering to the needs of the Montreal franchise. "The truth is that the number of francophone Quebecers on the team has been in decline since the NHL, in 1969, ended a rule that gave the Habs the choice of picking two homegrown players before any other team could draft them. Recent years have also seen the rise of American and European players in the NHL. (Canadian players once made up 90 percent of the league, now they’re about half.) Quebec players, meanwhile, no longer exclusively dream of lacing skates with the Canadiens — they’re as mercenary about selling their talents to the highest bidder as anyone else." I'm not saying you're wrong Kennedy but it's not outrageous to say the league sometimes seems to give preferential treatment to the Habs.Perhaps the Habs dynasty of the 70's would've never been had the draft rules been fair for everyone involved......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    None of this has anything to do with why the league would make a decision to appease Montreal fans TODAY. Your latest example is what, 40 years old?

And that's assuming your example is accurate. It isn't.

The Habs didn't have "the rights" to the "2 best French players". There was this thing called a C-form that ANY player could sign, and regardless of whether they were French or English. (This is like the one that Bobby Orr signed around age 13 with the Bruins). Signing a C-form made a player exempt from this special draft, and the top prospects were all inked to C-forms by management of all Original 6 teans. In the original days of the special draft (until 1947 when it ended), the Habs drafted 16 guys, and I don't think any played in the NHL. When the draft was brought back in 1963, only 3 ever made the NHL. One was a goalie, the others were Marc Tardif and Rejean Houle. The 70s Habs dynasty didn't rise and fall with them, and the superstars like LaFleur and Dryden were all acquired by picks the Habs GM Sam Pollock acquired in trades with other teams. Heck, Dryden was acquired in a pick that was once Boston's!

What made the Habs successful was the NHL's lack of limits on spending, scouting, or number of players a team can sign to a C-Form. The Habs ate this up, and were much more successful because they had money, scouts in all of hockey's hotbeds, and the ability through their success, reputation and what they represented to French-Canadian culture to get almost any kid in Quebec they wanted to sign a C-form. This wasn't the NHL cowtowing to Montreal; this was the Habs being today's NY Yankees against teams that were more akin to today's Minnesota Twins or Milwaukee Brewers. They had a massive advantage playing within the same rules that everyone else had, and that's why those rules were changed. In other words, the league changed the rules to STOP the Habs from steamrolling the competition, not to assist them in doing it.

Did the Habs have an advantage? Sure...the same way the  Sox have an advantage today. Money talks, and success bred success. The "special rules" that have oft been erroneously quoted by Bruins fans to justify why they didn't have the same success just didn't play much of a role. The Habs Dynasty of the 70s was made due to Sam Pollock's wisdom at trading for other team's picls

And it certainly has nothing to do with why the NHL isn't going to make a ruling to appease Montreal fans today. There is no incentive to do so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]It's been talked too much and I doubt we'll see another "Get out of jail free" a la Cooke . Unlike the Cooke/Savvy incident they called a 5min major and that's probably an automatic 1game.  Cook got no call at all. I think it should have been only 2mins for interference but again since he got hurt they elevated the call and therefore the suspension will follow. I just hope Chara will be able to play on the 24th this month when the Habs come to Boston.  Other than that look at it as Chara being rested. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  Suspend away.  Giving Z some time off can be nothing but good.  Who cares what happens in the next ten games.  Use the last ten to get the train rolling then come our firing in the playoffs.  People here are way to involved in the silly season.  Just make the playoffs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : None of this has anything to do with why the league would make a decision to appease Montreal fans TODAY. Your latest example is what, 40 years old? And that's assuming your example is accurate. It isn't. The Habs didn't have "the rights" to the "2 best French players". There was this thing called a C-form that ANY player could sign, and regardless of whether they were French or English. (This is like the one that Bobby Orr signed around age 13 with the Bruins). Signing a C-form made a player exempt from this special draft, and the top prospects were all inked to C-forms by management of all Original 6 teans. In the original days of the special draft (until 1947 when it ended), the Habs drafted 16 guys, and I don't think any played in the NHL. When the draft was brought back in 1963, only one ever made the NHL (and it wasn't LaFleur, Dryden, etc...those guys were all acquired by picks the Habs GM Sam Pollock acquired in trades with other teams. Heck, Dryden was acquired in a pick that was once Boston's). What made the Habs successful was the NHL's lack of limits on spending, scouting, or number of players a team can sign to a C-Form. The Habs ate this up, and were much more successful because they had money, scouts in all of hockey's hotbeds, and the ability through their success, reputation and what they represented to French-Canadian culture to get almost any kid in Quebec they wanted to sign a C-form. This wasn't the NHL cowtowing to Montreal; this was the Habs being today's NY Yankees against teams that were more akin to today's Minnesota Twins or Milwaukee Brewers. They had a massive advantage playing within the same rules that everyone else had, and that's why those rules were changed. In other words, the league changed the rules to STOP the Habs from steamrolling the competition, not to assist them in doing it. Did the Habs have an advantage? Sure...the same way the  Sox have an advantage today. Money talks, and success bred success. The "special rules" that have oft been erroneously quoted by Bruins fans to justify why they didn't have the same success just didn't play much of a role. And it certainly has nothing to do with why the NHL isn't going to make a ruling to appease Montreal fans today. There is no incentive to do so.
    Posting a link to back up your "facts" would be super.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

2 games maximum.  It was a borderline interference call in the first place - should have been, anyway.  If the edge of the glass isn't exactly there, it's probably not even a penalty.  Why doesn't the Bell Center pad that edge of the glass?  Why doesn't the NHL make it a mandatory padding in all arenas, if they care about the safety of the players?

More importantly, how will the Bruins get off their duffs and beat Buffalo on Thursday without Chara and perhaps Kampfer?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : Posting a link to back up your "facts" would be super.

It's too difficult to google "C-form" and "NHL"?

Here ya go:
    http://www.liam.ca/ed20040319.html

I got a lot of this info from the NHL's 75th Anniversary history book that was written for the 92-93 season, as well as by books that Brian Macfarlane did; most of his books on the Original Six teams mention this, some in more detail than others (The Habs and The Leafs, most notably). They all back up what this website says.

What's your source, by the way....outside of "conventional wisdom"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macacanadiannut. Show Macacanadiannut's posts

In Response to How many games will Chara get?:
    [QUOTE]If not for the divider, it wouldn't have even been a penalty. But that's beside the point, it was a bad check with a horrible result. Chara will get suspended IMO and my guess is 5-7 games but should be 1-2 as I believe there was 0 intent to injure or harm.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

He will get 1 but should get nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : It's too difficult to google "C-form" and "NHL"? Here ya go: http://www.liam.ca/ed20040319.html I got a lot of this info from the NHL's 75th Anniversary history book that was written for the 92-93 season, as well as by books that Brian Macfarlane did; most of his books on the Original Six teams mention this, some in more detail than others (The Habs and The Leafs, most notably). They all back up what this website says. What's your source, by the way....outside of "conventional wisdom"?
    Did you bother reading the article you've linked?Thanks for proving my point......
    "So they decided that the Montreal Canadiens could take any two players from the province of Quebec in a special draft. There was one rider however. None of these players could have already been previously signed to a C form"-That's from your info smart guy but thanks again....I hope you're not a lawyer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : Did you bother reading the article you've linked?Thanks for proving my point...... "So they decided that the Montreal Canadiens could take any two players from the province of Quebec in a special draft. There was one rider however. None of these players could have already been previously signed to a C form"-That's from your info smart guy but thanks again....I hope you're not a lawyer.

Right. See, all the GOOD players had been signed to C-forms by the Original Six teams. I think it also says that, too:

From 1936-1943 Montreal protected 14 players through this special draft. Unfortunately none of them ever played a minute in the NHL. Reason being, anybody who could tie their skates and chew gum at the same time were already long signed by other NHL teams including the Canadiens who certainly wern't going to survive solely with this rule

Comprehension isn't your strong point, or did you just stop reading? Or both?

It also states the reasoning behind this move (which didn't help the Habs at all):

In the early days of the NHL, in fact through the first several decades of the leagues existence, many things were done to try and help franchises that were in trouble. Loaning players was one of the more popular methods. Financial aid was another, facilitating moves to other cities, etc. Bottom line, when a team was in trouble the league would do it's best to try and figure out a way to help.

So the idea that ONLY the Habs got helped by the league (again...this is almost 80 years ago!) is also incorrect.

Anything else you're misunderstanding that you want corrected? Or is that enough fancy book learnin' for you for one morning?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

2 or 3 but only because of the politics.

If the player didn't get injured, a minor penalty would've been considered a chickenshit call.  What happenned to "finishing your check".  Chara merely "rubbed" him.  He didn't even aggresively take him out of the play.
    I don't like where the NHL is going here.  It's unfortunate when someone gets hurt, but sadly, these things happen, and always will.

I see this hit in the same context as Hunwick on Savard.  No big deal...minor contact.....but, the bad thing is...... someone gets hurt.  Does that now warrant a suspension?  Seems that's where we're going.
    How many games did Hunwick get?

If the league is going to start handing out suspensions, everytime someone gets hurt....there will be problems.
    This incident has no paralell to the "headshots" issue that the league is all over, or "dirty hits" or "blindsiding".  This is totally different.  However, the howling is getting so loud, sensibility is being waived in favor of passifying the masses who mistakenly lump this issue into the same barrel as the "Cooke hit".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Steve the difference is Chara actually did get a penalty and Hundwick didn't.  Not only did Chara get a 5 minute major he also got a game misconduct.  So its hard to compare the 2.  Saying that, i do not believe a suspension should come with this hit but there will likely be one coming.

Sections
Shortcuts