How many games will Chara get?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: How many games will Chara get?

I have no idea how they justify this other than making something up on the spot.  Injury has never been a factor in suspensions in the past, so why should it be now?  Yeah, Chara got a major for interference, but I have no idea how you justify that either.  No one was calling for a suspension on Ritola for his hit on Kampfer, and that was the same play in many ways: he hit Kampfer when he had yet to play the puck and the hit resulted in an injury that will keep Kampfer out for a week at least - and that without the help of the stanchion.  He didn't even get a minor let alone a major.  If this was a major penalty, they should have called it boarding (hit was about the right distance from the boards) or charaging (he took a fair number of steps...) or roughing (for the way he extended his arms).  But it didn't fit the bill for any of those things so they called it interference.

The way this has turned into an "expected suspension" makes me sick.  Initial reaction from people like Bob McKenzie was that it was probably a minor penalty with extraordinary consequences.  Now, because of the severity of MP's injury, the hounds are baying for Chara's head.  The TSN poll responses are incredible - especially in light of the discipline Gillies received.  19 games for a sequence of deliberate attempts to injure.  End the season of a top player because of a stanchion.

What really sickens me is the cynical opportunism of the pro-shab responses - including the responses of Jacques Martin and a fair contingent of the Canadian media - that say out of one corner of the mouth that they hope Max gets well and out the other suspend Chara so the Shabs can pass the Bruins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : But Kennedy, the point I would make (and I think Dez was trying to make too) is that it is not terribly far-fetched to think the Habs might get slightly different treatment on these things than other teams.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

His argument is based on something that hasn't happened since The Partridge Family was a hot new band. Sorry...maybe if there was some sort of pattern of the league assisting Montreal in...well...anything over the past few years. Hell, has the league assisted the Habs in anything in the last decade? It sure hasn't showing up on the W/L sheet most of the time!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : His argument is based on something that hasn't happened since The Partridge Family was a hot new band. Sorry...maybe if there was some sort of pattern of the league assisting Montreal in...well...anything over the past few years. Hell, has the league assisted the Habs in anything in the last decade? It sure hasn't showing up on the W/L sheet most of the time!
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    Neely was traded to Boston in 1987 yet the trickle down effect is still happening.To make a long story short,Wesley was also part of the deal.He,in turn,was signed by Hartford who gave 3 picks as compensation(McLaren,Aitken,Samsonov).Samsonov was eventually dealt to the Oilers and a 2nd rounder(Lucic)came back.So 23 years later,Boston is still reaping the benefits of that deal........ANY advantage is just that-an advantage,regardless of the time that's passed.I'll quote from YOUR info again to be clear-"So they decided the Montreal Canadiens could take ANY two players from the province of Quebec in a SPECIAL DRAFT".What am I missing here?YOUR INFO SAYS "SPECIAL DRAFT"!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Boston Bruins
    The NHL has informed the Bruins that there will be no fine and no suspension for Chara ^BB
    Favorite Retweet Reply

Good news everybody. I am certain they took his reputation into account.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : Twist it anyway you want.The fact remains regardless of the impact(or lack thereof)that those players had on your franchise.I guess since you don't agree then it never happenned.I was specifically talking about the late 60's drafts after which you went off on a tangent which ended up proving my point regardless of you not appreciating Tardif and Houle.I quoted from your info that "they could take any 2 players from the province of Quebec in a special draft".What am I confusing here?Don't act like I'm stupid because I don't "get"your logic.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Twist it? They were your words, quoted verbatim. No twisting there.

The first regional draft (until 1947) wasn't special treatment, as shown.

The second (1960s) draft was actually an IMPROVEMENT to the system that allowed the Habs to essentially run roughshod over the other 5 members of the league between 1947-1963.  Look at the years 1951-1960 and see who was in the Cup finals EVERY year. The Habs were, and they won 6 of those 10 in a row. The system in place after 1947 allowed Montreal (by that time on solid financial footing, like most other franchises in the postwar economy) to dominate the signing of just about everyone they wanted. And while the Habs in the early 1960s were in the process of rebuilding, it was clear that the league needed a change to their system. They then went back to the old system and the "regional draft" in order to tighten up what had become a completely one-sided system.

Now you tell me what plan was more advantageous to the Habs in 1963?
    a) Keeping the current system that allowed them unprecedented dominance in the 50s, and likely would again?
    b) Going back to the older system, allowing a regional draft (exempting C-Form signed players, i.e "the best ones") and tightening up the rules that circumvented the system (buying junior teams and leagues, etc).

Now, while it's true that they could have implemented a draft without the "2 French player" rule, if you were the Habs, and you (under the system used between 47 and 63) were dominating the league, would you not push to continue to have at least a token of the control you currently enjoy--WITHIN the rules? And if you were the league, knowing the Habs owned Quebec (and hoping to somewhat level the playing field), wouldn't you throw them the bone of the old system, knowing it gave them no assistance in any way, shape or form in the past?

Of course you would. And that's what happened in 1963. Let's not use revisionist history or try to look through the lens of hindsight: if anything, NOT making the change would have been more of an advantage than that ludicrous, overblown regional draft. Let's face it, that draft has been fixated on by mostly Bruins and Leafs fans as a handy but erroneous excuse as to why the Habs won so many Cups and they didn't.

If the league wanted to help the Habs, they stick with Option A in 1963, and it's not even debatable. The run of success speaks for itself!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Neely was traded to Boston in 1987 yet the trickle down effect is still happening.

How many people are still alive and working for the league in 2011 who are in a position to influence Chara's potential suspension that were there in 1963?

None.

Yeah....it has a trickle down effect like the Neely trade. Sure it does.

And the trump card to this Habs-get-help-from-the-NHL paranoia? No suspension to Chara. Which IMO is the correct decision, but not one that the league would make if they were trying to "appease the Habs fan base".

Game. Set. Match.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

JUST REPORTED THAT CHARA DID NOT GET SUSPENDED

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]How many people are still alive and working for the league in 2011 who are in a position to influence Chara's potential suspension that were there in 1963? None. Yeah....it has a trickle down effect like the Neely trade. Sure it does.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    So you now admit there was a special draft but that it didn't really matter....I never said anything  would influence a Chara suspension and I defy you to show otherwise.I simply asked you a question which you've obviously taken exception to.Go ahead,it should be easy to show where I claimed someone from the league would improperly influence the Chara ruling(which I predicted would be zero games).All your book smarts won't put words in my mouth or change the fact there was a special draft.Apparrently you think sarcasm will though......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many games will Chara get? : So you now admit there was a special draft but that it didn't really matter......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Um, now who's twisting words?

Go back and read it again. You said "The NHL helped Montreal in the past via the special draft". I showed you how it didn't work that way, both in the original incarnation (fiscal help allowed for all teams) and the revised version (keeping the system used from 47-63 allowed a run of success by Montreal never seen before....nor since).

You said that this "special draft" contributed to the Habs 70s dynasty, in that it probably wouldn't have occurred without the league's "obvious favoritism". I showed you how that didn't happen, either.

You made the original post in response to a point I made that the NHL wasn't going to be influenced in Chara's suspension by what the Habs fan base wants.  (I said: "They have no objective to appease a fan base. What does the NHL gain by trying to please the citizens of Montreal.") You claimed that the NHL (your words italicised) "has a long history of catering to the needs of the Montreal franchise", implying that they could now, and used something that has no (as in NONE) connection to today as your basis. (Never mind how your "long history" was ONE example that was discontinued 4 decades ago). The result...the league gave Chara no suspension, as they didn't let the wishes of the MTL fan base influence them at al (which is precisely what I said).

You're 0 for 3. Sorry man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I have no idea how they justify this other than making something up on the spot.  Injury has never been a factor in suspensions in the past, so why should it be now?  Yeah, Chara got a major for interference, but I have no idea how you justify that either.  No one was calling for a suspension on Ritola for his hit on Kampfer, and that was the same play in many ways: he hit Kampfer when he had yet to play the puck and the hit resulted in an injury that will keep Kampfer out for a week at least - and that without the help of the stanchion.  He didn't even get a minor let alone a major.  If this was a major penalty, they should have called it boarding (hit was about the right distance from the boards) or charaging (he took a fair number of steps...) or roughing (for the way he extended his arms).  But it didn't fit the bill for any of those things so they called it interference. The way this has turned into an "expected suspension" makes me sick.  Initial reaction from people like Bob McKenzie was that it was probably a minor penalty with extraordinary consequences.  Now, because of the severity of MP's injury, the hounds are baying for Chara's head.  The TSN poll responses are incredible - especially in light of the discipline Gillies received.  19 games for a sequence of deliberate attempts to injure.  End the season of a top player because of a stanchion. What really sickens me is the cynical opportunism of the pro-shab responses - including the responses of Jacques Martin and a fair contingent of the Canadian media - that say out of one corner of the mouth that they hope Max gets well and out the other suspend Chara so the Shabs can pass the Bruins.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Agree that an injury should not translate to a longer suspension but they do this often when making decisions.

The real problem here is how un-safe it is and finally someone had to really get hurt (again) to maybe fix this in hocley arenas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Dam strate no suspension.

I'm still smoking about the way this turned into "Get Shorty".  McKenzie's initial reaction as tweeted was that this was a normal hockey penalty gone horribly wrong, but by today he's blogging that it'll probably be two games.  How wrong is the world when Matthew Barnaby is the voice of reason?  How many talking heads went looking for inferences on which to suspend Chara?  Blah blah they have history blah blah know where you are on the ice blah blah respect among players blah blah league is cracking down blah blah.  To the point that Dreger's putting the question as "what if Chara isn't suspended?" as though any thinking person would suspend him.

Brutal.  There was a horrible visual and a very loud and exercised community - Shab fans - calling for revenge not justice, and the media bought it because it's  a great story.  This is the opposite of the way they covered the Cooke and even Gillies fiascos because frankly who gives a rat's about them as players.  No, this hysteria was because Zdeno Chara is a NAME in the league, famous as a monster, and the mob got out the pitchforks and torches.

Incidentally, I lay none of my frustration at the feet of Shab players - only Price implied Chara was responsible and even he backed off and said it happened pretty fast. Pacioretty has made some punk moves, including the lovely little pirhouette he executed to draw the penalty that led to the Wisniewski goal, but he's young and if he wasn't a Shab, he'd be a pretty good story.  Hope he gets well, can play again, and I hope Chara reaches out to him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Dam strate no suspension. I'm still smoking about the way this turned into "Get Shorty".  McKenzie's initial reaction as tweeted was that this was a normal hockey penalty gone horribly wrong, but by today he's blogging that it'll probably be two games.  How wrong is the world when Matthew Barnaby is the voice of reason?  How many talking heads went looking for inferences on which to suspend Chara?  Blah blah they have history blah blah know where you are on the ice blah blah respect among players blah blah league is cracking down blah blah.  To the point that Dreger's putting the question as "what if Chara isn't suspended?" as though any thinking person would suspend him. Brutal.  There was a horrible visual and a very loud and exercised community - Shab fans - calling for revenge not justice, and the media bought it because it's  a great story.  This is the opposite of the way they covered the Cooke and even Gillies fiascos because frankly who gives a rat's about them as players.  No, this hysteria was because Zdeno Chara is a NAME in the league, famous as a monster, and the mob got out the pitchforks and torches. Incidentally, I lay none of my frustration at the feet of Shab players - only Price implied Chara was responsible and even he backed off and said it happened pretty fast. Pacioretty has made some punk moves, including the lovely little pirhouette he executed to draw the penalty that led to the Wisniewski goal, but he's young and if he wasn't a Shab, he'd be a pretty good story.  Hope he gets well, can play again, and I hope Chara reaches out to him.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Im gonna do it. Frigging starting the slow clap.

(Clap)

(Clap)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stylerico. Show stylerico's posts

None, the Bs should be upset he got a misconduct, but the official had to do that to prevent any more Canadians from being hurt. They may have taken runs at Z and that is NOT a good idea. Ask Pac!