How Not To Run a Team:The Philly Model

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

How Not To Run a Team:The Philly Model

Well, as we all know, despite the need for a quality Dman or two and goaltending Holmgren opted for Lecavalier and his 5 year $4.5 million per season (NMC) contract.

According to Capgeek, they are already over the cap now:

http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/

That said, once they put Pronger on LTIR and send down 2 forwards and 2 Dmen to the AHL they will actually have around $7 million in cap space still available and all they need is another goaltender to fill out their roster.

Good news? Hardly, and here is why:

This is a list of 2014 Flyer RFA's

Giroux, Couturier, B. Schenn, Tye McGinn, Matt Read (UFA), Bourdon (Dman), and Mason (goalie).

In short, their entire roster of up and coming forwards, a promising D man, and their alleged starting goaltender will likely all be getting raises (some hefty) next summer with no real money coming off the books except Timmonen (who Homer will probably sign again). Yet, what does Holmgren do after buying out some big contracts, using up his only two compliance buyouts in the process? Yep, goes for another large one to fill a position he doesn't need to. 

Lesson? Perhaps PC standing pat this offseason is the smart thing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: How Not To Run a Team:The Philly Model

It amazes me that Holmgren still has a job. I thought Vinny would've been a good signing for the Bruins but clearly not for 5 yrs, yikes. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

And you can bet Nashville will love the oppurtunity to sign Giroux to an offer sheet after Philly did the same to Shea last off-season. Makes sense, they might have anyways, but they missed out on Drouin and Barkov and took Seth Jones. They've needed scoring for what seems like forever. Nothing an outrageous offer to Giroux in a year the cap is going up cant cure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Well, as we all know, despite the need for a quality Dman or two and goaltending Holmgren opted for Lecavalier and his 5 year $4.5 million per season (NMC) contract.

According to Capgeek, they are already over the cap now:

http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/

That said, once they put Pronger on LTIR and send down 2 forwards and 2 Dmen to the AHL they will actually have around $7 million in cap space still available and all they need is another goaltender to fill out their roster.

Good news? Hardly, and here is why:

This is a list of 2014 Flyer RFA's

Giroux, Couturier, B. Schenn, Tye McGinn, Matt Read (UFA), Bourdon (Dman), and Mason (goalie).

In short, their entire roster of up and coming forwards, a promising D man, and their alleged starting goaltender will likely all be getting raises (some hefty) next summer with no real money coming off the books except Timmonen (who Homer will probably sign again). Yet, what does Holmgren do after buying out some big contracts, using up his only two compliance buyouts in the process? Yep, goes for another large one to fill a position he doesn't need to. 

Lesson? Perhaps PC standing pat this offseason is the smart thing?

You know what, that could be the smartest thing.We all know the B's need a top 6 forward at right wing. Why not sit tight and give the right wing spot on the 1st line to Seguin, the 2nd line spot to the best rookie out of camp. It could work out, but if not the way things are going some teams might need to make a trade at some point and the B's could dump some salary and get their right winger at a better price. Its worth a try rather than spending some of these exorbitant prices. Philly is out of their mind, is Snider lucid ? Or is he just a robot controlled by Homer?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

And you can bet Nashville will love the oppurtunity to sign Giroux to an offer sheet after Philly did the same to Shea last off-season. Makes sense, they might have anyways, but they missed out on Drouin and Barkov and took Seth Jones. They've needed scoring for what seems like forever. Nothing an outrageous offer to Giroux in a year the cap is going up cant cure.

Trouble is Weber likely wanted to go to Philly, whereas Giroux likely doesn't want to go to Nashville. Doesn't mean there won't be another team in a more hockey hungry market that won't pay though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

You know what, that could be the smartest thing.We all know the B's need a top 6 forward at right wing. Why not sit tight and give the right wing spot on the 1st line to Seguin, the 2nd line spot to the best rookie out of camp. It could work out, but if not the way things are going some teams might need to make a trade at some point and the B's could dump some salary and get their right winger at a better price. Its worth a try rather than spending some of these exorbitant prices. Philly is out of their mind, is Snider lucid ? Or is he just a robot controlled by Homer?

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Remember, both Seidenberg and Berg need new contracts next season. Would overpaying for a free agent right now and screwing the team cap-wise really be a good thing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

For many chemical reactions, heating the mixture speeds up the process.  The molecules bouncing around more cause more collisions and a greater frequency of favorable orientations for the collisions.

I think this is the inspiration for Holmgren.  Constantly shake things up and throw players together until you get a fortuitous mix.  I'm not sure it's possible to be further from Chiarelli in apparent philosophy.  

It did get them a Finals appearance though, so maybe there is something to it.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onthe405. Show Onthe405's posts

5 yrs., 4.5 per and a no trade clause (which I'm guessing was the clincher) is a crazy contract for vinny. maybe a few years ago, but not now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

For many chemical reactions, heating the mixture speeds up the process.  The molecules bouncing around more cause more collisions and a greater frequency of favorable orientations for the collisions.

I think this is the inspiration for Holmgren.  

It can also end up in blowing you and all around you to pieces...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It can also end up in blowing you and all around you to pieces...

An outcome that becomes more probable the longer the team is run this way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The silver lining for philly is that timmonen comes off the books at 6 million.  And the best thing when you look at their roster is the young talent they have.  The guys on bigger deal like simmonds, hartnell and voracek easily would bring back a high pick or cheaper talent.  

It seems like a mess there but doesnt it always?   They always find ways around it.   if they had loungo, yashin, dipetro and gomez old contract id worry.  Not when you have a stable of young horses who can replace the older core guys should they be traded.  

Colburn is rumored to be shopped as well potentially to edmonton for smid.  Its a downgrade but smid is a pretty solid shutdown guy.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I would love to see Simmonds in a Bruins jersey.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Thats my pt exactly.  Philly may appear to be in trouble but other teams would line up for the guys they have.  So in a yrs time they max out on giroux.  Deal a hartnell for a 1st rounder plus and they are back in the game.  They are stacked with young talent.  They proved they could do it by dealinf richards and carter.  Not that they got better short term.  But now those assets are becoming players and the older core can be dealt or they can trade off the young studs.  Its not as messy as it seems in my eyes.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Remember, both Seidenberg and Berg need new contracts next season. Would overpaying for a free agent right now and screwing the team cap-wise really be a good thing?

JW ... You really think Seidenberg is a priority signing? I don't ... Actually him and Boychuck are a $7m  luxury PC can't really afford...I have never really liked the defensively challenged Boychuck.. Too many mistakes for my liking and this guy is eating almost $3.3m... Bye Bye... Time to give Hamilton, Krug, and Bartkowski bigger roles...or saving that, keep Redden around for security...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

JW ... You really think Seidenberg is a priority signing? I don't ... Actually him and Boychuck are a $7m  luxury PC can't really afford...I have never really liked the defensively challenged Boychuck.. Too many mistakes for my liking and this guy is eating almost $3.3m... Bye Bye... Time to give Hamilton, Krug, and Bartkowski bigger roles...or saving that, keep Redden around for security...

It really is a fine balance isnt it.  We see 3 young guys in bart, hamilton and krug who will be fighting for ice time next year.  Chara seidz n boychuk are very good top 4 guys.  To me seidz would be the one i move away from.  I thought his game slowed this year.  In fact i dont think he was great the previous year either.  McQ will always be a 5-6 bc he is challenged with mobility.  Play him with Krug and hes useful.  After next year i can see chara boychuk.  Bart hamilton. Krug mcQ.  Evolution baby.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Flyers spend their money in the wrong places.  Presently they have Steve Mason in goal and...?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

The Flyers spend their money in the wrong places.  Presently they have Steve Mason in goal and...?

Tim Thomas..... seems like a perfect fit. Homer will find the cap room somewhere, he always does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

They went to the cup finals with an ahl goalie.  Theybspent huge on bryz and well that was a major F U 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's because you're a dope.  You're talking about 33% of the defense that went to the Cup finals two times in three years.  If you want to talk about defensively challenged, look no further than Torey "OH MY GOD PLEASE DON'T HIT ME" Krug.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Heck yah love his game!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

They went to the cup finals with an ahl goalie.  Theybspent huge on bryz and well that was a major F U 

And the guy they traded wins the Vezina the very next year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

And the guy they traded wins the Vezina the very next year. 

Bc they spent a boat load on bryz.   if they add TT to go with Mason i think they will be fine.  The back end isnt the greatest but not terrible.  I think they are getting wiser.  Adding streit helps with mobility.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's because you're a dope.  You're talking about 33% of the defense that went to the Cup finals two times in three years.  If you want to talk about defensively challenged, look no further than Torey "OH MY GOD PLEASE DON'T HIT ME" Krug.

BINGO!! 

Sections
Shortcuts