How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask?

not PC but CJ... sorry !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask?:
    not PC but CJ... sorry !!!
    Posted by Bruinsforever

In a "perfect world" both goalies would play 41 games. The fortunate thing is the B's have the "perfect tandem". One that a lot of teams are jealous of. I think that unless Rask can get used to playing the back up role & train himself to develope in that role. The B's could end up hurting a young goalie. This is a team & the coach & GM has to do what's best for the team. "IF" TT comes out of the gate like he did last year? Rask could be in for a long season again. CJ's hands are tied. He's shown he runs with the number 1 goalie & sticks to it! As a coach he has to look at the "now". If he worries himself about ruining the future of a goalie? He won't have a job for very long. I personally I think I would do a  3-2-3 rotation; but when/if a goalie gets on a hot streak it's extremely difficult to sit him. Goalie's are finicky creatures that sometimes need to be handled with kid gloves. If there was a goalie I had to pick that could handle sitting better? I'd say Thomas at this stage of his career. However; being a goalie in Rask's shoes? I'd try very hard to learn how to develope being a backup. You can't sit the best goalie in the world. Like it or disagree doesn't matter. NOBODY in the league has come close to what TT did in 10/11. Are there goalie's that are capable? ABSOLUTELY! One of the ones that could do it is TT's partner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : In a "perfect world" both goalies would play 41 games. The fortunate thing is the B's have the "perfect tandem". One that a lot of teams are jealous of. I think that unless Rask can get used to playing the back up role & train himself to develope in that role. The B's could end up hurting a young goalie. This is a team & the coach & GM has to do what's best for the team. "IF" TT comes out of the gate like he did last year? Rask could be in for a long season again. CJ's hands are tied. He's shown he runs with the number 1 goalie & sticks to it! As a coach he has to look at the "now". If he worries himself about ruining the future of a goalie? He won't have a job for very long. I personally I think I would do a  3-2-3 rotation; but when/if a goalie gets on a hot streak it's extremely difficult to sit him. Goalie's are finicky creatures that sometimes need to be handled with kid gloves. If there was a goalie I had to pick that could handle sitting better? I'd say Thomas at this stage of his career. However; being a goalie in Rask's shoes? I'd try very hard to learn how to develope being a backup. You can't sit the best goalie in the world. Like it or disagree doesn't matter. NOBODY in the league has come close to what TT did in 10/11. Are there goalie's that are capable? ABSOLUTELY! One of the ones that could do it is TT's partner.
    Posted by nitemare-38

I don't think Rask is capable of playing at the level TT played at last year but then again TT's play was arguably the best any goalie has ever played over a full year.I hope Rask can play 30-40 games as long as he earns his starts.It's no disgrace being the backup to the best player in the NHL. I really don't see a problem having Rask as the backup for the next two years.He is not ready for prime time just yet.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He doesnt. For 2 reasons.

1. Julien is the coach, not PC.
    2. Thomas and Rask ultimatley decide with their level of play.Nothing more,nothing less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Only play 1 goalie at a time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

You have to play who ever has the hot hand. Its thomas's job at the start of the season for sure baring injuries in camp. Assuming Thomas doesn't strugle claude should give rask a game when ever tim has a bad one. That should be claudes way of giving tim rest. Base it on his play that should tell you if he needs a break or not. Better yet why don't we all just say Rask is gona take his job! The fear of losing his job would make timmy break his own save percetage record and probably make him will him self to a GAA of 1.50 haha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Timmy 47 games, Rask 35 games. Keep Timmy fresh for the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Gotta wonder (worry) that Rask is getting tired of being the backup.  He's been touted and acclaimed for a number of years now.  And every year he hears the same theme song-- Thomas is having a great streak now....you are the backup and get a few games sprinkled in.....but you have to wait...wait.   At some point, I wonder (worry) if he will become disgruntled and ask to be traded.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

CJ should just play whatever goalie is playing the best, pretty much like he has always done.  You shouldn't determine playing time before they actually play, they should earn it. Personally I wish PC traded Rask this off season in a deal like the Caps did with Varlamov. That Col first rounder could look pretty good in June, and like the OP said, I think Thomas could have another good 2 or 3 years left. That's plenty of time to find a replacement. Regardless, the Bruins goaltending situation is excellent, no matter who plays.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

TT will play 60 or more games. Rask will play 15-20 at most. Thats plenty of action for TT and it keeps him fresh going into the Playoffs. Not sure if Rask is ready for the big time. He should be happy where he is. But this 40 games each wont happen unless TT gets hurt. TT will demand more games and play just as well as last year. He may not beat his numbers, but he'll be top 3-5 goalie in the league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Thomas should play around 50, hopefully he will play at a similar level as last year.. But he earned the starting job, its his to lose.. I would rather see them split the games more equally though, not huge stretches on the bench etc...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

TT should get into 50-55 games, barring any health issues for either goalie. Even a great like Brodeur would burn out after playing too many regular season games, and at TT's age the B's need to manage his starts accordingly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Im with 50-55 for Thomas.  I dont see any reason why he cant/wont keep up his high level of play.  Hell, even when he was INJURED in the 2009-2010 season he still had relatively decent numbers, better than Rasks this past season (2.56 & .915 with 5 SO's).

Lets face it, Rask will never do what Thomas did this season.  Krist, NOBODY has....EVER!  Thomas had the single-handed, most amazing season as a goalie ever has in NHL history.  His run was the thing that legends are made of.  I do not believe Rask has a run like that in him.  Think about all the greats before Thomas.  NONE of them accomplished in a season what Thomas did last year.  No way, no how does Rask have it in him to accomplish better.  The stars aligned perfectly, and none of us will see a goaltender match the feats Thomas made last year again in our lifetimes.  Im not saying Rask cant be a great goaltender, but all this touting, for the past 5 years and he STILL isnt a starter is really making me wonder.  Now Thomas came in really later too, so its possible Rask could become amazing, but if you can get something you need for him NOW, I say do it.  I dont see Thomas going anywhere in the next 3 years, so where does that leave Rask in the big picture?

Im in the camp that thought/hoped Rask might be moved this off season.  I still wouldnt be surprised to see him go this year in a trade for a true back up and a prospect or two and/or a pick or two.  Bring in Cory Schneider (an animal at BC & pretty much everywhere he's played)and you have absolutely the best tandem in the NHL.  Hell, Id trade Tuukka straight up for Schneider.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Gotta wonder (worry) that Rask is getting tired of being the backup.  He's been touted and acclaimed for a number of years now.  And every year he hears the same theme song-- Thomas is having a great streak now....you are the backup and get a few games sprinkled in.....but you have to wait...wait.   At some point, I wonder (worry) if he will become disgruntled and ask to be traded.  
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

I agree. At some point Rask has to do what is best for him. He had a sensational season 2 yrs ago where he saved the Bruins hide & was a huge influence in saving there season. Now I believe Rask's overall numbers were skewed due to a very structured defensive system. Same as Thomas' last season. But Thomas was great last season & Rask was great the season before.

However, I wonder how the Bs handling of Rask last season effected him throughout the season. Here is a guy who saved there bacon the previous season when Thomas struggled. The Bruins go overseas & play a horrible game in front of him & then Thomas comes in & plays great & Rask doesn't get an opportunity again to bounce back with the team.

After that he was used sparingly & never found a groove. We will see this season if Thomas struggles if Rask is giving the same opportunity? Given Thomas' play last year & the fact the Bs won the cup with him I am sure he will get a bit more rope then Rask did.

Hopefully Rask will rebound & at least be given a fair opportunity unlike last season. It just appeared to me the Bruins were to quick to get down on Rask & showed very little confidence in him & that may have hurt his confidence & had an impact on his inconsistent play. Plus, Thomas came in & played great.

I just hope if Thomas stuggles out of the gate we don't hear the excuses coming out of Thomas' mouth on why things are going south. He has the reputation for being a bit of an excuse maker & that can be annoying.

I am sure Rask will challenge him for more playing time this season, unless the Bs management hope to keep Rask's numbers down so he can make less as an RFA by playing less games. I hope that is not the case but if I am Rask I certainly would question how the organization have handled him to this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : I agree. At some point Rask has to do what is best for him. He had a sensational season 2 yrs ago where he saved the Bruins hide & was a huge influence in saving there season. Now I believe Rask's overall numbers were skewed due to a very structured defensive system. Same as Thomas' last season. But Thomas was great last season & Rask was great the season before. However, I wonder how the Bs handling of Rask last season effected him throughout the season. Here is a guy who saved there bacon the previous season when Thomas struggled. The Bruins go overseas & play a horrible game in front of him & then Thomas comes in & plays great & Rask doesn't get an opportunity again to bounce back with the team. After that he was used sparingly & never found a groove. We will see this season if Thomas struggles if Rask is giving the same opportunity? Given Thomas' play last year & the fact the Bs won the cup with him I am sure he will get a bit more rope then Rask did. Hopefully Rask will rebound & at least be given a fair opportunity unlike last season. It just appeared to me the Bruins were to quick to get down on Rask & showed very little confidence in him & that may have hurt his confidence & had an impact on his inconsistent play. Plus, Thomas came in & played great. I just hope if Thomas stuggles out of the gate we don't hear the excuses coming out of Thomas' mouth on why things are going south. He has the reputation for being a bit of an excuse maker & that can be annoying. I am sure Rask will challenge him for more playing time this season, unless the Bs management hope to keep Rask's numbers down so he can make less as an RFA by playing less games. I hope that is not the case but if I am Rask I certainly would question how the organization have handled him to this point.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Really?? Cause I think most people would figure out that they got severly out played.. Rask was given chances to play more, and the team lost.. Its not like then went to thomas and never looked back.. Rask in his spot starts wasnt good till the end of the season, and by then thomas was already cememented as the best player in the league..

Rask played 29 games.. Went 11 and 14.. He got severly outplayed, Your making it sound like he never got a chance to go out and do anything..

So by your thinking the bruins should have given him 41 games so he had a fair chance to catch thomas??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : Really?? Cause I think most people would figure out that they got severly out played.. Rask was given chances to play more, and the team lost.. Its not like then went to thomas and never looked back.. Rask in his spot starts wasnt good till the end of the season, and by then thomas was already cememented as the best player in the league.. Rask played 29 games.. Went 11 and 14.. He got severly outplayed, Your making it sound like he never got a chance to go out and do anything.. So by your thinking the bruins should have given him 41 games so he had a fair chance to catch thomas??
    Posted by rolerhoky19

True. Thomas did outplay Rask last year by a large margin & Thomas deserves to be the starter out of camp & probabaly be given more rope in the upcoming season as a veteran & after the season he had last year.

However, if you go back the season before, Rask outplayed Thomas by a large margin. Yet Thomas got opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to find his game when it was quite evident Rask was outplaying him. Once the team was in a fight for the playoffs it was only then that Rask was given the starters job & to his credit he ran with it.

I am sure it is fresh in his mind how quick he lost his job last year & how long it took for the team to give him the ball the previous year. It is also probably fresh in his mind how he outplayed both goalies in camp in 2008 camp & didn't make the team. Whether it was right or wrong is irelevant. It is how he interprets how he has been developed & what is best for his career going forward. It is time for him to play whether in Boston or elsewhere. The Bs organization & the fans can't expect him to continue to be happy as Thomas' backup when he would be a possible starter elsewhere.

This is a big season for him this year as an RFA & hopefully the team gives him a better chance to develop & look more to the future as opposed to hindering all there bets on a 38 yr old goalie who maybe only around for 2 more seasons.

The team has to look at the big picture as opposed to only the shortterm. They have to do there best & give Rask the opportunity to develop for his future & for the organizations future.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Newfie,
    I dont agree.. Thomas was the starter the year before (coming off his vezina season) and was eventually replaced by rask.. Thomas (09-10) had his time cut as the season wore on, and Rask won the startng job, thomas played as many games at the end of that season, as rask did this season.. Thomas was also hurt, which is why he was given a chance to win the job back this year..

Thomas also mainted a .500 record though, rask was just better.. Last season thomas was what 7-0 and rask was 0-8??  The comptition was over by then, thomas was the starter, and would have to slip up, or rask would have to play out his head to win it back, neither happened.

This year i think thomas gets around 50 starts again, that lands rask around 30 again.. Unless Rask can put up better (if the numbers are similar thomas remains the starter) thomas is in net, and its his goal to lose..

Goalies typically take longer to develop, rask playing 30 games a season till he can actually earn the starting role is fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Im with 50-55 for Thomas.  I dont see any reason why he cant/wont keep up his high level of play.  Hell, even when he was INJURED in the 2009-2010 season he still had relatively decent numbers, better than Rasks this past season (2.56 & .915 with 5 SO's). Lets face it, Rask will never do what Thomas did this season.  Krist, NOBODY has....EVER!  Thomas had the single-handed, most amazing season as a goalie ever has in NHL history.  His run was the thing that legends are made of.  I do not believe Rask has a run like that in him.  Think about all the greats before Thomas.  NONE of them accomplished in a season what Thomas did last year.  No way, no how does Rask have it in him to accomplish better.  The stars aligned perfectly, and none of us will see a goaltender match the feats Thomas made last year again in our lifetimes.  Im not saying Rask cant be a great goaltender, but all this touting, for the past 5 years and he STILL isnt a starter is really making me wonder.  Now Thomas came in really later too, so its possible Rask could become amazing, but if you can get something you need for him NOW, I say do it.  I dont see Thomas going anywhere in the next 3 years, so where does that leave Rask in the big picture? Im in the camp that thought/hoped Rask might be moved this off season.  I still wouldnt be surprised to see him go this year in a trade for a true back up and a prospect or two and/or a pick or two.  Bring in Cory Schneider (an animal at BC & pretty much everywhere he's played)and you have absolutely the best tandem in the NHL.  Hell, Id trade Tuukka straight up for Schneider.
    Posted by bigvig

BigVig, don't forget what you said yourself. Rask is trying to win the starters job ahead of the world's best goaltender. There's no shame in being outplayed by TT up to this point in his career. Over his short NHL career he's 36w-27L with a 2.25 gaa and a .925 sp. Not staggering but certainly respectable. I still find it easy to forget he's still only 24. He's got a long career left ahead of him with a great tutor presently showing him the ropes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

CJ should just play whatever goalie is playing the best, pretty much like he has always done.  You shouldn't determine playing time before they actually play, they should earn it. Personally I wish PC traded Rask this off season in a deal like the Caps did with Varlamov. That Col first rounder could look pretty good in June, and like the OP said, I think Thomas could have another good 2 or 3 years left. That's plenty of time to find a replacement. Regardless, the Bruins goaltending situation is excellent, no matter who plays.
    Posted by OatesCam

I agree. If TT stinks, CJ won't be afraid to go with Rask. I guess it's the old sports addage, what have you done for me lately !...I hope they both play well and the Bruins are cup bound once more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

TT : 50 games
    Rask : 32 games

TT all the way in the Playoffs !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : BigVig, don't forget what you said yourself. Rask is trying to win the starters job ahead of the world's best goaltender. There's no shame in being outplayed by TT up to this point in his career. Over his short NHL career he's 36w-27L with a 2.25 gaa and a .925 sp. Not staggering but certainly respectable. I still find it easy to forget he's still only 24. He's got a long career left ahead of him with a great tutor presently showing him the ropes.
    Posted by dezaruchi

BEST POST OF THIS THREAD!!

Although I don't usually agree with Newfie's take on goaltending. I do agree about one point he did make. Rask's frustration can/will affect him. Do all of you remember a game against the Leafs? I believe it was Kaberle's return. Anyway; in that game the Leafs came out hard & TT wasn't at his finest. He wasn't the reason the B's were losing; but it was bad enough that CJ pulled him & put Rask in. Within a few minutes the Leafs scored on Tuuka & he pointed at Seids. TT was back in for the 3rd. CJ did that because I think he knew Rask was frustrated. There's something that Rask has learned from last season. That nothing is a given. In his short career he's learned that hard work can pay off; he's learned how to win & how to lose. He's learned that somebody can come along & be better. He's also learned how to support a teammate. Rask may very well get tired of being in TT's shadow & he may very well ask to be moved. Rask style needs to be used in game situation's in order to stay consistently sharp. Timing is a big part of that style & he can't improve if he doesn't play. I've said it before & I'll say it again. PC brought in Khodobin for a specific reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I just hope if Thomas stuggles out of the gate we don't hear the excuses coming out of Thomas' mouth on why things are going south. He has the reputation for being a bit of an excuse makerPosted by Newfiebullet

REALLY!?!?!?!  First Ive heard of this, and Ive been following Thomas since he played at UVM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : BigVig, don't forget what you said yourself. Rask is trying to win the starters job ahead of the world's best goaltender. There's no shame in being outplayed by TT up to this point in his career. Over his short NHL career he's 36w-27L with a 2.25 gaa and a .925 sp. Not staggering but certainly respectable. I still find it easy to forget he's still only 24. He's got a long career left ahead of him with a great tutor presently showing him the ropes.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Could be.  Just seems like Ive been hearing about Rask FOR-EVER now, and had it not been for Thomas getting hurt in 09-10, I wonder what Rasks numbers would look like.  I would also think, that if the Bruins are hell-bent on keeping Thomas (which they obviously were after his Vezina year and huge contract) they would have moved Rask had he been worth so much.  Seems like sitting him as much as they do they might be shooting themselves in the foot for the long-term.  I hope that whatever happens, this whole thing shakes out in the Bruins favor (which it already has arguably, because lets face it, LOTS of people wanted Thomas gone after his injured season).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: How shoud PC split games this year between Thomas and Rask? : REALLY!?!?!?!  First Ive heard of this, and Ive been following Thomas since he played at UVM.
    Posted by bigvig

Remember Big. This is coming from a Thomas hater. Take it with a grain of salt from this guy! Unlike Soxfan who actually has come around a full 360. This guy is the new "top of the list" who will be the 1st one this season to jump all over Timmy the minute he falters. If Timmy doesn't you won't see him on here till he does. Same as last season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

As many have mentioned no one will duplicate TT's play last season ,not even TT but if Rask can regain the form he had two years ago [which is certainly possible]it will be a big boost to the team particularly going into the playoffs knowing we can replace either guy if they have even one bad game .Rask has to be opportunistic this year [like TT was in game  2 of the regular season last year ]and play well early on when he gets his chance.No one would have predicted TT taking over the starter's job when he won his first game of the season last year but that ultimately was what happened ..TT was playing so well that Julien had to keep playing him .   

Sections
Shortcuts