How to beat Boston in the playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

How to beat Boston in the playoffs

I love the Bruins but I'm also a worrier. Absolutely I think it's a lock Boston makes the conference finals but I'm concerned in the final two rounds about:

1) KLH line going stone cold. Krejci was outstanding all playoffs long but let's not forget that Looch had a tough couple of early rounds last year and Horton has been ice cold at times this year.

2) Shots per game. They currently have the ninth worst shots against per game average in the league. I'm sure they will tighten up in the playoffs (they did last year) but another shutdown D-man would be great. Joe Corvo doesn't exactly inspire confidence and while I've always liked Ference and Boychuk they too make me nervous at times. Plus there is no real depth at D behind the current group.

3) Powerplay disappears again. Need I say more.

4) A key injury. Chara, Thomas, Seguin, Bergy, or Marchand, perhaps Kelly or Peverley. Losing any of these guys for an extended period would be devastating.

Then again ... they do have Rask and Thomas so perhaps my mid-season worries are for naught. It should be a long, interesting run this spring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: How to beat Boston in the playoffs

the one thing we know for sure that doesn't work .... is whining. ask vancouver. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

watch chia pick up hal gill.  i know, hal gill. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

#1 The KLH line has been playing well lately, between the six players of our "#1 line" - they are top 6 in scoring for the Bruins.

#2 The Bruin's always give up alot of shots - that's part of the philosphy, letting up bad shots from the outside.

I'm really not that worried in that department since they are #1 in GA/G.

#3 The powerplay disappeared for a bit yes, but it's been much better than last year. Not to mention, our PP was garbage last year - need I remind of how last season turned out?

#4 I don't necessarily agree, we have great depth that many other teams lack. If we lose any of those players, others have to step up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Matt nailed it as far as shots allowed. It's not a bad thing. It's the quality of shots that matters. The Bruins take away the good shots and allow the weak. That actually helps to keep your goalie in the game. I think the biggest worry would be an injury to Chara, Bergeron or Krejci. Any of those would be hard to replace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Krecji led all scorers in points in the NHL Playoffs last year and the year before he was on fire right before being hurt, which turned the Philly series completely around. Fear of Krecji getting cold in the playoffs? Really? If anything it's the clubs facing him who better fear David.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

How to beat Boston in the playoffs has very little to do with Bruins themselves. I think their greatest threat is other teams' scouts. Friedman has some good comments on this in his 30 thoughts today.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/01/the-penguins-plight-crosbys-recovery-30-thoughts.html

Basically, unlike the West where there are four main contenders all with different styles, all the teams in the East are focusing their attention on the Bruins as the team to beat. As such they;re heavily scouting the team, looking for any and all weaknesses to exploit, are developping game plans with solely the Bruins in mind, and moving towards the trade deadline looking for the parts they think they need to beat Boston.

In other words, everyone is gunning for them and trying to develop playoff strategies to take them down. That's a lot of hockey minds at work on a singular focus. If just one of them figures out how to do it, it could spell real trouble for the Bruins (I don't know how you would do it over a 7 game series, but I'm not an NHL coach/scout/GM).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Question: How to beat any team in the playoffs

Answer: Have a hot goalie.

Bruins had virtually no Power Play in the playoffs, allowed a ton of shots, top six forward got hurt..All washed out by the play of Thomas.

This is a real good Bruins team, best in a long time. Enjoy them, don't worry about how teams are going to beat them in the playoffs in January.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I said at the onset, I'm a bit of a worrier. I will listen to Kel, I'll just enjoy these guys this season.

Still, Red raises good points. Everyone knows the Bruins are the team to beat and they will be looking to figure out the Bruins. Besides, just look at the Green Bay Packers. They were practically given the Super Bowl at mid season and they were bounced in their first playoff game.

My argument is for a little perspective. If some fan like me can come up with a couple of quick bullet points on how to beat the Bruins, imagine what an expert coach can do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to How to beat Boston in the playoffs:
    I love the Bruins but I'm also a worrier. Absolutely I think it's a lock Boston makes the conference finals but I'm concerned in the final two rounds about: 1) KLH line going stone cold. Krejci was outstanding all playoffs long but let's not forget that Looch had a tough couple of early rounds last year and Horton has been ice cold at times this year. 2) Shots per game. They currently have the ninth worst shots against per game average in the league. I'm sure they will tighten up in the playoffs (they did last year) but another shutdown D-man would be great. Joe Corvo doesn't exactly inspire confidence and while I've always liked Ference and Boychuk they too make me nervous at times. Plus there is no real depth at D behind the current group. 3) Powerplay disappears again. Need I say more. 4) A key injury. Chara, Thomas, Seguin, Bergy, or Marchand, perhaps Kelly or Peverley. Losing any of these guys for an extended period would be devastating. Then again ... they do have Rask and Thomas so perhaps my mid-season worries are for naught. It should be a long, interesting run this spring.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

The only way the BRUINS will not win the Cup is if they get a plane crash

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

thanks stanley....way to throw that out there. if anything happens to this team, i'm coming for ya. yeesh... it was not that long ago the hockey world lost an entire KHL team in a plane crash. i know you were joking but.... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: How to beat Boston in the playoffs:
    I said at the onset, I'm a bit of a worrier. I will listen to Kel, I'll just enjoy these guys this season. Still, Red raises good points. Everyone knows the Bruins are the team to beat and they will be looking to figure out the Bruins. Besides, just look at the Green Bay Packers. They were practically given the Super Bowl at mid season and they were bounced in their first playoff game. My argument is for a little perspective. If some fan like me can come up with a couple of quick bullet points on how to beat the Bruins, imagine what an expert coach can do.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

I hear ya, just enjoy it though, especially after coming off a cup..your points are legit, but right now I just love watching them..

Stanley, a plane crash...WTH bro?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to How to beat Boston in the playoffs : The only way the BRUINS will not win the Cup is if they get a plane crash Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Let's hope so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Obviously there are no major concerns with the Bruins and the recent losses are probably just a mid season lull.  All teams are going to have them and they are currrently playing without a couple of key players in Marchand and Peverly.  What I don't like however is their inability to get the Carolina game and the game tonight to OT.  That reminds me a little more of the 2009-10 team and not last year's team.  It doesn't help that CJ loves to play that 4th line with less than 5 minutes left in a tie game but I digress. Again I am not really worried as I think that there are going to be ups and downs in a long season but I think the recent stretch needs to be a bit of a wake up call for them to get back to doing the things that made them the best team in the NHL in November and December.  I do think the increased intensity in the Vancouver game got them off their game a little and they haven't been able to get pumped for these recent games.  They have some tough games before the all-star break so they need to bear down (pun intended) and then the break will give most of the guys a chance to rest a little and be ready for the stretch run.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

We lose if we play Carolina (or Tampa Bay.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If one gets the Bs to think they are the Big Bad Bruins and have them bite on cheap shots, then the Bs will lose via pp goals.  If you can stop the Bs defense from moving the puck out of the offensive zone (love those D to D passes when the team play is off) then the Bs will lose.  Otherwise, the Bs are still the team to beat as most teams have weakensses.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

watch chia pick up hal gill.  i know, hal gill. 
    Posted by Karl-Hungus

Please -- don't even think it. Gill is the opposite of what it is to be a Bruin. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The last few games have showed that unless the Bruins are playing their best that anyone can beat them. Come April, they have to be playing more like the team from November-December then the team that has showed up the last few games and the first 10 games of the season.

Sections
Shortcuts