How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition)

The Julien haters are idiots that can never look beyond one game at a time.   Pittsburg just lost to the Islanders so perhaps they should fire their coach now?   What about the Habs that have lost several in a row and dropped below the Bruins, I guess their coach should be shown the door as well?

There are only three teams in the league with less regulation losses than the B's.   Boston has allowed less goals than any other team in the league.   It would be insane to fire a coach when the team is doing this well.

Is everything perfect?   Of course not.   We need to get the offense going a little better and play with more fire in the bellies, but it is still only the end of December.    There is lots of time to fine tune and get things working just right.   Every team out there is focusing on one thing or another to improve on, the  B's are no different.

Rask and Seguin will get their time.  All it takes is one injury for them to be front and center and our depth at either position to suffer at the same time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition):
    [QUOTE]How come rask is so brittle he will just "lose confidence" on the bench.. I don't remember anyone complaining when the bruins rode rask into the play offs last season, and our vezina winner was a backup and being tossed around in trade rumors.. Thomas has earned the time and deserves to be playing, rask should be preparing and staying sharp, if he cant do that he wont have a very long career in the NHL.  The fact is, people just want to see rask play so they can talk up the "trade thomas" talk again.. Last year he was an "over paid backup" Now hes the best goalie in the league, and "we're playing him to much, and hurting rask development".. Boohoo.. Rask will play when he deserves to play, just like last season.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    You don't remember any complaining about TT's lack of starts last year?It was one of the few constants from last season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Tyler's defense his positioning and defensive stick checking has gotten alot better. But he needs to improve bodyposition and start checking someone. Him and Krejci have similar builds Tyler might even be a little buffer. But Krejci manages to throw his body around a bit usually for the best (sometimes worse see T.J oshie). Although im not sure if this is because he just doesnt know where to be in his own zone yet by switching to winger, revolving door linemates, new *strict* system etc... Or if he is just a Spezza type player(hope not)

Im hoping claude is going to see where the team is once those GIH are played and if they have some good space in the standings on the habs sit Recchi/Paille and Bring up Caron and play seguin/rask a bit more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition):
    [QUOTE]In Tyler's defense his positioning and defensive stick checking has gotten alot better. But he needs to improve bodyposition and start checking someone. Him and Krejci have similar builds Tyler might even be a little buffer. But Krejci manages to throw his body around a bit usually for the best (sometimes worse see T.J oshie). Although im not sure if this is because he just doesnt know where to be in his own zone yet by switching to winger, revolving door linemates, new *strict* system etc... Or if he is just a Spezza type player(hope not) Im hoping claude is going to see where the team is once those GIH are played and if they have some good space in the standings on the habs sit Recchi/Paille and Bring up Caron and play seguin/rask a bit more.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT?????????????

Krejci gets buried multiple times a game. BURIED. He NEVER hits anyone. If Tyler played like Krejci he'd never see the ice.

Tyler is more effective at actually creating a chance when goes into the corner than most. People think he's not "in the corners" because he's not throwing his body around. It's ridiculous. He picks the puck out of the pile all the time, then immediately looks to set up a teammate. 

I'm losing faith in the ability of Bruins fans to know what the hell they're talking about. People are so used to a certain approach that they can't recognize exceptionalism and uniqueness when they see it.

He's been trying a little too much 1 on 5 in some cases. BFD. He hustles to make up for mistakes and he sees the whole ice. He's among the most aggressive players on the team. The area to be patient with him is in the physical side because he's 18 and will fill out, and that's exactly where people seem to have the least patience with him.

Completely bass-ackwards.

Gretzky would have been run out of this town.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT????????????? Krejci gets buried multiple times a game. BURIED. He NEVER hits anyone. If Tyler played like Krejci he'd never see the ice. Tyler is more effective at actually creating a chance when goes into the corner than most. People think he's not "in the corners" because he's not throwing his body around. It's ridiculous. He picks the puck out of the pile all the time, then immediately looks to set up a teammate.  I'm losing faith in the ability of Bruins fans to know what the hell they're talking about. People are so used to a certain approach that they can't recognize exceptionalism and uniqueness when they see it. He's been trying a little too much 1 on 5 in some cases. BFD. He hustles to make up for mistakes and he sees the whole ice. He's among the most aggressive players on the team. The area to be patient with him is in the physical side because he's 18 and will fill out, and that's exactly where people seem to have the least patience with him. Completely bass-ackwards. Gretzky would have been run out of this town.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]
    Sure he'd be run out of town by the people who'd complain he wasn't Gordie Howe.There's no pleasing everyone on here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Remove your heart shaped glasses for seguin and notice the areas he needs to improve jesus. Check the standings? The Bruins have the luxury to try and pull  ahead and then develop Seguin while atop the division.

Krejci gets buried because he throws himself into the boards/opposing players to make plays and its worked for him. Seguin comes in with a stick check and if it doesnt wokr he's outta the play. Yes he's a great player and yes I see his outstanding talents and yes I think he is being under-utilized. But I try to see where he can improve and simple things like that are what cause the other areas to fall into line.

Go ahead doubt me and all the bruins fans and apparently teh coach because you possess such superior knowledge horseSh*t dont even post here if you cant say anything without generalizing a huge group of people and claiming to be superior.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : Sure he'd be run out of town by the people who'd complain he wasn't Gordie Howe.There's no pleasing everyone on here.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

God when is saying one objective thing about a players development here worth this kind of lambasting. This is why I post less and less on here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : God when is saying one objective thing about a players development here worth this kind of lambasting. This is why I post less and less on here.
    Wow,you sure took my comment personally even though it wasn't in regards to any real issue other than the fact that there is no pleasing everyone on this forum.Regardless of who the player is there will always be folks on here that will complain about them(see Chara,TT,Bergeron,etc.).Maybe you post less and less because your feelings are too fragile.Either way,why should I care?Lambasting......lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

[QUOTE]Tony, I agree with you that Julien isn't the best coach.  He needs to hold some guys more accountable than he does (I'm looking at you Ryder).  Other than that, you're complaints have nothing to back them up.  Seguin is 18, and as much as I hate when Claude benches him, he's trying to form career habits for the kid. As for Caron, there was no room for him on the squad after Savard came back, so why let him rot in the press box?  He's better off going to Providence and seeing ice time.  Rask vs Thomas?  I hate to say it, but Thomas has outplayed Rask so far, despite the fact that the Bruins don't score when Rask plays.  My thing about Julien is that he's a good coach, but he's only going to get you so far.  He's perfect for a team that's rebuilding or on the playoff bubble, but not for a team like the Bruins who have the potential to be a legitimate cup contender.  His defense first system has gotten old, and he refuses to mix things up.  He's stubborn and likes to stick to the system, which is good sometimes, but not anymore.  Plus, he doesn't really know how to inspire a team.  Anywhere else he would've been fired after the collapse, but for some reason Chiarelli decides he wasn't responsible (not fully, but partially).  Replace him with Millbury and this team will be whipped into shape faster than you can say "Fire Julien".
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

Really?  Boudreau survived a similar streak in Washington, Caps have now gone 4-0-1 in last 5.

Also, you can't possibly be serious about bringing back old-school Milbury as B's coach.  That would be about as useful to the B's as when Barry Melrose stepped from the booth to coach Tampa Bay two years ago, or when Hawk Harrelson took over as GM of the White Sox.  He[[, YOU could have coached the 1990 Bruins to the Cup Finals with the talent they had on that club.  Milbury was a fraud as a supposedly tough player (note: he was regularly jeered by Bruins fans at the old Garden for his phoniness) and ruined the Islanders as both GM and coach. 

Milbury should remain on TV to do what he does best:  yap.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Thomas steals wins, Rask does not and the way the Bruins have played this year that is a huge factor in deciding who is in net. I don't mind TT playing a lot now so long as he gets some rest in Feb and March. Right now, with the Comediens playing poorly  the B's have a chance to create some space between them.

I agree Julien's system is boring and more suited to 4th liners than stars. How in the world did he get fired by Lamoriello?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT????????????? Krejci gets buried multiple times a game. BURIED. He NEVER hits anyone. If Tyler played like Krejci he'd never see the ice. Tyler is more effective at actually creating a chance when goes into the corner than most. People think he's not "in the corners" because he's not throwing his body around. It's ridiculous. He picks the puck out of the pile all the time, then immediately looks to set up a teammate.  I'm losing faith in the ability of Bruins fans to know what the hell they're talking about. People are so used to a certain approach that they can't recognize exceptionalism and uniqueness when they see it. He's been trying a little too much 1 on 5 in some cases. BFD. He hustles to make up for mistakes and he sees the whole ice. He's among the most aggressive players on the team. The area to be patient with him is in the physical side because he's 18 and will fill out, and that's exactly where people seem to have the least patience with him. Completely bass-ackwards. Gretzky would have been run out of this town.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]

You should apply your logic to yourself..

Krejci gets buried several times a game??  Really?

And your analysis on seguin is off, if he was as good as your making him out to be he would bt putting up some points..

The start of this post though was he needs to be played more for his development and confidence.. And I dont agree with that, he is 18 playing on the nhl level, I would assume he is going to get better training and coaching then he would have in juniors regardless.  Hopefully he will develop the right habits as well.. I watch him, and I see a kid who cheats at times.  Along the boards on the breaks outs I notice it the most, is it a  terrible thing no.. Its a kid who was using a move in juniors, amongst players he was better then, and it doesnt work here.. this is the kind of thing he needs to improve on, and he doesnt need to have his ice time boosted just for the sake..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : Wow,you sure took my comment personally even though it wasn't in regards to any real issue other than the fact that there is no pleasing everyone on this forum.Regardless of who the player is there will always be folks on here that will complain about them(see Chara,TT,Bergeron,etc.).Maybe you post less and less because your feelings are too fragile.Either way,why should I care?Lambasting......lol.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I agree that there is no way to please everyone on here(I will never understand the threads that still want to trade thomas). I was a little thrown off by the overreaction above your post and mistook your post.  I dont care at all if you care I was just putting it out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueoxen. Show blueoxen's posts

The BRUINS are in First Place!!  Give me a break people and stop complaining.

Seguin isn't ready and Thomas is going to win the Vezina. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) :  Krejci gets buried several times a game??  Really? 

Yes. If you disagree with that statement, you need to get your TV set adjusted. This one is not debatable.

BTW, I'm not dogging Krejci for that. I generally don't attack or dismiss the importance of individual players. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I think Chara should take the body more and just cancel his man in more situations, instead of attempting a poke check that leads to a breakout. I still agree that he's one of the best defensemen in the game. Horton? I think Milbury was right. He needs a size 12 in the backside. Some players are self-motivated, others are not and need outside pressure to perform. It's up to the coach to recognize those differences and maximize potential. Few players seem to be maximizing potential from what I've seen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Cafardo,
    I think krejci has taken some memorable hits, but several times a game huh? how does he manage to stay on the ice..but I love that your the authority and its not debatable..

I noticed you also steered away from your analysis on seguin.. him being one of the most agressive players on the ice..

He does hustle, he does play hard, but at this point he is not one of the best players on the team.. He plays an appropriate amount of ice time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I disagree that Milbury was a caretaker coach.  Those teams had a thin layer of stratospheric talent and then a bunch of guys who played to the limit under Mad Mike.  At the same time, I don't think beantownGM was alive to watch those games, or, if he was, he couldn't speak yet.  Milbury is not the right fit - probably not for any team in the league any longer.

I think you have to be a little more nuanced when thinking about coaches, especially if you're a GM.  I don't know if there are a dozen guys in the world who can do the full Parcells on a team - that is, take them from nothing to champions.  There are guys like Bowman who can take a team from the threshold to the prize, but who don't do as well when they don't have the right toys to play with.  Then there are guys like Burns who could take a sad sack team and turn it around tout de suite, but he was only ever able to get a team over the hump when he started higher on the ladder.

If you're a GM, I think you have to convince your owner that every coach's salary is really 150% of the number you see on the contract because on average, you'll be paying him not to coach for a third of that deal.  That way, you can say "this is the guy we need right now. He might not be the guy we need in two years, but we'll sign him for three years and see if he earns the right to try and prove me wrong."  This way, the GM has a bit of flexibility to move the coach strategically and not just because the team is struggling for a couple of weeks in December.  And the owner has already signed off on the idea that a coach serving 2/3rds of his contract is the expectation.  Anything more is a win.  Anything less is reason to question the GM.

If you accept that logic, then PC firing Claude at the end of this year isn't necessarily grounds to suggest PC "failed" - it's just a move driven by the evolution of the club.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]Cafardo, I think krejci has taken some memorable hits, but several times a game huh? how does he manage to stay on the ice..but I love that your the authority and its not debatable.. I noticed you also steered away from your analysis on seguin.. him being one of the most agressive players on the ice.. He does hustle, he does play hard, but at this point he is not one of the best players on the team.. He plays an appropriate amount of ice time.

My previous analysis stands. If I feel the slightest inclination to back off on anything, I'll be the first to let you know. And if I feel there is more to add, I'll let you know then as well.  (if he's benched again tonight, especially after the Bruins take a tenuous lead and turtle into a prevent defense again, I'll provide more examples of why he would have been a better option than the team that was on the ice)

:^)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"If you accept that logic, then PC firing Claude at the end of this year isn't necessarily grounds to suggest PC "failed" - it's just a move driven by the evolution of the club."

And that has been mentioned quite a bit Julien brought the Bruins along from the mess that Lewis left it in but might not be able take it further. I do beleive that with a few more talented players Claude can take the Bruins farther than the Eastern Conference finals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more thought on Seguin.

I agree with roler that he's probably getting the ice he's earned on average.  What I'd like to see is a wider fluctuation around that average.  I have no problem with him being benched when the Bruins have a lead and he misses his coverages, but I'd also have no problem seeing him shift up to play with Lucic and Savard and getting extra shifts on the PP etc. when he's playing with some spark.  Let that pendulum swing hard so it drives home the message.  Tyler, when you play like X, you get 10 minutes a game, but when you play like Y, son, I will feed you minutes like I'm fattening up a Christmas goose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]One more thought on Seguin. I agree with roler that he's probably getting the ice he's earned on average.  What I'd like to see is a wider fluctuation around that average.  I have no problem with him being benched when the Bruins have a lead and he misses his coverages, but I'd also have no problem seeing him shift up to play with Lucic and Savard and getting extra shifts on the PP etc. when he's playing with some spark.  Let that pendulum swing hard so it drives home the message.  Tyler, when you play like X, you get 10 minutes a game, but when you play like Y, son, I will feed you minutes like I'm fattening up a Christmas goose.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

The only reason to bench an 18 year old for missing a coverage is if you think he did it because of laziness or indifference (ahem, many would be benched this season for that). You don't bench him for making a mistake if you think he understands why it was a mistake because the good ones can quickly incorporate that lesson the next shift or two...... assuming that shift happens relatively soon. (i've yet to get the slightest sense that he's uncoachable and won't listen. in fact i get the opposite impression, with the slight exception that he's so hungry for offensive chances that he may be "too aggressive" for the system. sometimes i think Claude views a 2 on 1 in the opponent's zone as a defensive breakdown by his own team.)

I've yet to see him play disinterested, and I have no hesitation saying that after he plays a few shifts, the Boston Bruins are a faster, crisper team overall. You get a player or two like that per generation, if you're lucky, and you tweak your system to utilize him, not the other way around (there are times I thought Claude was doing that, BTW. He just hasn't had the confidence to stick with it).

With Bledsoe, the Patriots played classic passing football. With Brady, they immediately went to dink and dunk and stayed that way for years. When Randy Moss came in, they played long ball,  went 18-1 and came within a quarter of an inch of going 19-0. Had they tried to force Randy to play dink and dunk over the middle all day, he and the team both would have suffered.

It's almost unfair to the other teams that we have the Patriots as the model now, but that's just the way it is. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to Demoralize Young Players- By Claude Julien (2010 Edition) : I agree that there is no way to please everyone on here(I will never understand the threads that still want to trade thomas). I was a little thrown off by the overreaction above your post and mistook your post.  I dont care at all if you care I was just putting it out there.
    Sorry but you guys all know I'm a dickk anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They dinked and dunked their way to championships.  They haven't won a Superbowl since.  They went 18-0 until it mattered.  Then they lost because the Giants took away the long ball.  They didn't look like a team that could win it all again until they dished Randy for a bag of cheetos.

You bench a kid for missing coverages when he does it more than once, and when you've spent practice time drilling the coverage into him.  Then it's not a lack of knowledge or laziness, it's just decision making.  Don't confuse that with not wanting to play the system or bucking the coach.  When the problem is decision making, you reinforce the consequences of costly decisions and reward smart decisions if you want the player to process the situation.

A lot of this is just repetition repetition repetition until the player doesn't have to think.  Then you'll see that crazy instinctive talent Seguin clearly has in spades.  But it works that way on the negative side too.  Keep throwing him out there to make the same mistakes and he'll groove some bad habits.  A benching just breaks that groove, especially if it's a partial benching.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez - oh yeah.  Common knowledge.  No worries!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez - oh yeah.  Common knowledge.  No worries!
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Thanks buddy!You're allright.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Cafardo,
    I think your seeing the bruins, and seguin  how you want to.. not the product on the ice..
    You bench any player when he is not making the team better, you seem to think the NHL is a developmental league, and seguin should be given his ice time based on potential.. the "once in a generation" talk, is not based on anything he has shown in a single bruins game..
    As a matter of fact, thats not even part of his talent analysis.. He was scouted as a franchise player.. The once in a generation tag is usually reserved for the crosby/ovechkin, can single handly dominate a game.. Seguin has not dominated a game in any fashion at this point.. Stop being a seguin fan, and watching the team.. When he makes mistakes, you sit him, when he is being out played by a veteran who does not make the same mistakes, those guys deserve more time.. Seguin will grow into his time, and his play, he is not a top forward on this team yet, and should not be handed it based on his ice time..
    I made the comments all last season about sobotka, he has potential he projects as a top 2nd line center, but he wasnt going to be that here and he probably needed to be traded to reach that potential.. he played his way up in STL and currently has 5 points in his last 4 games 16 on the season, and will probably score in the 40-50 range if his minutes stay up..

That being said, STL is a rebuilding team, the bruins are not, you do what is best for the team, not the player..

Seguin shows flashes, and he is creative, but he is still playing a boys game and has not adjusted to the NHL, bring him along like Stamkos was in TB is perfectly fine, when he starts to put up more points, he will get more time. Anyone suggesting hes out played any of the top, ryder or recchi, marchand  or even campbell is watching the hype, not the game.