How to fix it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

How to fix it?

Its clear right now any team who forechecks the bruins hard in their own end the bruins can't handle this well at all. Until the bruins come up with something that works against this you are going to see teams keep doing this. I don't know enough about hockey systems so maybe someone can tell me how the bruins could combat this. Seems to me this d to d passing the bruins keep doing in their own end just keeps the puck in our end and makes us look lost and sloppy in the process. Is it as simple as aquiring that elusive "puck moveing defenseman"?. Its clear to me something needs to change. ( not calling for a coaching change either)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: How to fix it?

They need to finish better.  Their defensive game was ok today.  Marchand and Seguin had great chances to tie it, but Fleury was up to the task.  It will come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: How to fix it?:
    [QUOTE]They need to finish better.  Their defensive game was ok today.  Marchand and Seguin had great chances to tie it, but Fleury was up to the task.  It will come.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Hang, you speak the truth. I'm honestly not concerned at all as this team has faced far greater adversity than being 1st in the division by 5 points with 5 games in hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : Hang, you speak the truth. I'm honestly not concerned at all as this team has faced far greater adversity than being 1st in the division by 5 points with 5 games in hand.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The bruins have looked bad for a month now. I still think they can and will get their house in order and be a tough out in the playoffs but if I can see this with my own eyes watching on tv then the coaches are obv. seeing this. I don't think I have seen a more streaky team in my life than the bruins in any sport.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : Hang, you speak the truth. I'm honestly not concerned at all as this team has faced far greater adversity than being 1st in the division by 5 points with 5 games in hand.

They'll really have to tank to finish any lower than third in the conference...right where they ended up last year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

They're 8-6-1 in the last month. This is the first time in 2 months that they lost twice in a row. How is that streaky? BTW, your idea about teams forechecking the Bruins is the same stategy that every coach tries to employ against every team they play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]They're 8-6-1 in the last month. This is the first time in 2 months that they lost twice in a row. How is that streaky? BTW, your idea about teams forechecking the Bruins is the same stategy that every coach tries to employ against every team they play.

Not exactly some send more than others. Throw the record out and just look at each game period by period. They have been getting outworked more often than not. Expecialy lately it seems the bruins have no answer to teams with an exgrssive forecheck in their own end. How do they fix this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Bs need to make a trade for a solid dman or a goal scoring winger. As it is right now they really do seem to miss the skills of Ryder and Recchi. Holes need filling before we start predicting a repeat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : Not exactly some send more than others. Throw the record out and just look at each game period by period. They have been getting outworked more often than not. Expecialy lately it seems the bruins have no answer to teams with an exgrssive forecheck in their own end. How do they fix this?
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]
    They can correct it by having the forwards coming back lower in the D-zone so that the D have better short pass options. Too many guys aren't coming below the tops of the circles so the D are trying longer (more dangerous) stretch passes or simply reversing back to the other D. It's not a huge deal. I always say that effort is the easiest thing to repair. The system is fine. We know it works. Execution is where they're lacking at the moment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Amen, dez. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : Amen, dez. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    Christ be with you.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : Christ be with you.

Good one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Bs need to make a trade for a solid dman or a goal scoring winger. As it is right now they really do seem to miss the skills of Ryder and Recchi. Holes need filling before we start predicting a repeat.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

I laughed when I read KPD's version of this.  I think it's utterly foolish.  Recchi's spot is filled by the team's leading goal-scorer.  Ryder's spot is now Peverley's when the team is healthy.  The only thing the Bruins lose there is that Ryder's a guy who could score on his shot alone.  Peverley's not, but he has been one of the best players on the Bruins at pushing the pace.  Pouliot had a brief period of seeming to get it, but is quiet now.  Kelly isn't getting much done offensively.  Hamill is Hamill.  If they trade for a forward, it's to upgrade on Pouliot and Hamill, not replace Ryder and Recchi, and when Horton's back Hamill's out anyway.

I've never liked Corvo.  I don't like him now.  If they did a version of the Morris transactions - clearing Corvo for sliced cheese so they could acquire someone better suited to the demands of the system - I'd see that as double benefit with Corvo out being addition by subtraction.  Don't know who they'd be looking at, but as someone else said on a trade thread (seobrien?), Chiarelli will acquire someone we're totally ignoring.  If I had to guess?  Chris Phillips.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

A road trip last year got the team headed in the right direction.  They have one coming up the middle of February which will hopefully do the same.  They will be fine.  That being said if they can add a solid left handed defenseman or perhaps Ray Whitney without giving up the farm, I would not be opposed to that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : I laughed when I read KPD's version of this.  I think it's utterly foolish.  Recchi's spot is filled by the team's leading goal-scorer.  Ryder's spot is now Peverley's when the team is healthy.  The only thing the Bruins lose there is that Ryder's a guy who could score on his shot alone.  Peverley's not, but he has been one of the best players on the Bruins at pushing the pace.  Pouliot had a brief period of seeming to get it, but is quiet now.  Kelly isn't getting much done offensively.  Hamill is Hamill.  If they trade for a forward, it's to upgrade on Pouliot and Hamill, not replace Ryder and Recchi, and when Horton's back Hamill's out anyway. I've never liked Corvo.  I don't like him now.  If they did a version of the Morris transactions - clearing Corvo for sliced cheese so they could acquire someone better suited to the demands of the system - I'd see that as double benefit with Corvo out being addition by subtraction.  Don't know who they'd be looking at, but as someone else said on a trade thread (seobrien?), Chiarelli will acquire someone we're totally ignoring.  If I had to guess?  Chris Phillips.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Chris Phillips? You could wind up saying "I told you so" on that one. On the other hand, if the Sens see themselves as buyers at the deadline, can that deal still happen?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I say just keep playing the way you have the last 2 games, those pucks will start going in and when they do, they will come in bunches.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to How to fix it?:
    [QUOTE]Its clear right now any team who forechecks the bruins hard in their own end the bruins can't handle this well at all. Until the bruins come up with something that works against this you are going to see teams keep doing this. I don't know enough about hockey systems so maybe someone can tell me how the bruins could combat this. Seems to me this d to d passing the bruins keep doing in their own end just keeps the puck in our end and makes us look lost and sloppy in the process. Is it as simple as aquiring that elusive "puck moveing defenseman"?. Its clear to me something needs to change. ( not calling for a coaching change either)
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Your out in letft field ..try baseball

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But Dez, that's two games in a row that they've lost.  The system is broken!  Two in a row! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fix it? : But Dez, that's two games in a row that they've lost.  The system is broken!  Two in a row! 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    And that's the 2nd time in 2 months that it's happenned. What if this trend continues?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

My 2 cents says the depth isnt there like it use to be. remember when someone stepped in for an injury the team steeped up. The injurie to horton, the suspension of ference, the teams not the same. yes they lost 2 in a row but there chances ? unbeleivable. It use to be an unsung hero that sparked the team. What now ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think another thing some people are overlooking when trashing the Bruins play in the last month is the fact they played a stretch of 12 games in 22 nights during that span. That may not sound like much to us at home but it makes a difference. It's a physical game and it takes a toll.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I think another thing some people are overlooking when trashing the Bruins play in the last month is the fact they played a stretch of 12 games in 22 nights during that span. That may not sound like much to us at home but it makes a difference. It's a physical game and it takes a toll.

GREAT CALL DEZZY!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I still think its more of a lack of finish than anything.  Just because the Penguin announcers criticized the Bruins for passing D to D ("We like to go north") it doesnt mean anything.  The point made that the forwards have to come back a bit deeper to shorter the D breakout pass is true, though.

Also, I think Ward and Fleury both played well, but they were simply not the difference.  The B's have an annoying habit of taking a lot of shots but not a single rebound, jamming in front, hard to play against series of shots, making the other goalies look like Ken Dryden and making that one or 2 sparkling saves (Fleury in the 3rd isn a good example) seem like you will NEVER put one by the guy.

Deflections, screens, rebounds, being tougher in front than the opposing D. Thats how this team scores bunches of goals.  One of the only legitimate 30 goal scorers on the roster is gone with a concussion, so the offense has to step up with some effort and grit around the net. Im not seeing it yet.

Scoring a few goals sure makes the occasional turnover or odd goal hurt much less.