How to handle Rask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

How to handle Rask

What's everyone's take on this? Going into the Olympic's & coming back. Here's the way I would handle Rask's workload especially since Johnson been playing quite well as of late & coming off a shut-out. I think he deserves a back to back start.

1. Van- CJ

2. St.Louis- CJ

3. Ottawa- Rask

Depending on how far Finland goes, but with the jet lag & time changes I'd go this way

4. Buff- CJ

5. Wash- Rask

6. NYR- CJ

6.TBay- Rask

7. Fla- Rask

8. Mon- CJ- I'm giving this to him, because if I'm not mistaken he shut them out in 2009 as a Ranger. Or he at least had a strong outting against them. And it was at the Bell Center. Since Rask 3-0 win over the Habs in 2010. He never seems to plays his best against them. There might be a more recent game where he played really well, but more often than not he hasn't. Give CJ the start & see what happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: How to handle Rask

bump- Not allowing a wingnut take my spot in line! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You dont pay Rask that money and have him play 4 outta 9 games esp sit him against a StL and Montreal.  i let CJ play 2-3 of those games.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

play him against vancouver and St Louis, then sit him for the Ottawa game prior to the olympic. hard to call what to do after the olympics because we dont know how much he will play there

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You dont pay Rask that money and have him play 4 outta 9 games esp sit him against a StL and Montreal.  i let CJ play 2-3 of those games.  

[/QUOTE]

It's just for that stretch Shupe! CJ is going to have to see a lot of action in March anyway.17 games & they have one stretch where they play 10 games in 14 nights. Make it early in the sched & give Rask that rest. He's 4 games away from his all time regular season starts, plus the games in Sochi, then the stretch drive for positioning, then play-offs. Rest him early after the games, then go into a 60-40 split for the rest of the way unless they're in a bad losing streak & 1st place in the division is slipping. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's just for that stretch Shupe! CJ is going to have to see a lot of action in March anyway.17 games & they have one stretch where they play 10 games in 14 nights. Make it early in the sched & give Rask that rest. He's 4 games away from his all time regular season starts, plus the games in Sochi, then the stretch drive for positioning, then play-offs. Rest him early after the games, then go into a 60-40 split for the rest of the way unless they're in a bad losing streak & 1st place in the division is slipping. 

[/QUOTE]

Im sorry i dont agree.  I will say it again and im not trying to debate the contract bc its not my pt.  but you dont pay rask this kinda money and have him play 4 outta 9 then 60% of the games.  hes the number 1 for a reason.  He should play 75-80% of the games.  On stinky team night sure fire CJ in.  Any good playoff team gets Rask.  Any rival gets Rask.  Rest him down the stretch a bit and the game before and after the olympics.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im sorry i dont agree.  I will say it again and im not trying to debate the contract bc its not my pt.  but you dont pay rask this kinda money and have him play 4 outta 9 then 60% of the games.  hes the number 1 for a reason.  He should play 75-80% of the games.  On stinky team night sure fire CJ in.  Any good playoff team gets Rask.  Any rival gets Rask.  Rest him down the stretch a bit and the game before and after the olympics.  

[/QUOTE]
     In a normal season I'd agree with you. Not this year with this schedule & you're #1 is also going to be the #1 in the Olympics as well. Another thing I'm suprised about is how in the past you were so concerned about Rask being able to play so many games & how in 2010 he got tired. Now you want him to play 80% of this yrs sched; one that is truly fawked up! Nobody in the East has a tougher schedule in March then the B's. Nobody of importance anyway. But, TBay, Montreal, or Toronto don't have near the same. Especially when there's 5 sets of back to backs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Don't get me started on his contract"

Hmm what will happen to Rask with Chara out the last two games ?

Tuuka will be just fine!

Although I agree with you Nite, I don't think Johnson will get that many starts. His rebound control has gotten better as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     In a normal season I'd agree with you. Not this year with this schedule & you're #1 is also going to be the #1 in the Olympics as well. Another thing I'm suprised about is how in the past you were so concerned about Rask being able to play so many games & how in 2010 he got tired. Now you want him to play 80% of this yrs sched; one that is truly fawked up! Nobody in the East has a tougher schedule in March then the B's. Nobody of importance anyway. But, TBay, Montreal, or Toronto don't have near the same. Especially when there's 5 sets of back to backs. 

[/QUOTE]

My argument is he has never played a lot of games in a full season.  Last year counted as a full season but he played 30 something games.   If you pay him the cash hes making he doesnt get 60%.   If he gets that trust me when i say you may here from me again.   The olympics are 2 weeks.   the fins have a decent team and could make a run but its not 14 games in a row.   I agree he will need a breather but when you are the highest paid player you better show me why.  60% doesnt cut it for me.   Im sure it wouldnt cut it for Rask either.  Goalies wanna play every game.  He would lose his mind.   And i would support his anger.  A few days before, a few days after(heck they might be out early).  Then get back to playing a large chunk of games.   Bruins arent paying him to play 60%.   I get what you are saying but i cant agree.  If anyone needs a rest and help its Z and ive been saying it for yrs.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tuuka will be just fine!

Although I agree with you Nite, I don't think Johnson will get that many starts. His rebound control has gotten better as well.

[/QUOTE]

Well i dont think hes been just fine since seidz has gone down.  In fact its a bit worrisome.   Take seidz and chara out and combine injuries and well....our def is bad.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, their defense is young.  Not bad.  And Chara has not been the same steady force this year as in year's past, so I'm less concerned that his absence will mean mass pandemonium.  Better - far better - to have him, but they can win without him and without Rask playing superhuman hockey.  Just has to play like Tuukka Rask.

As for nite's question: http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/page/show/1070284-olympics-men-2014-

If Finland plays for a medal, it's possible they play 7 games in 10 days.  If that's the case, I bet Rask doesn't play until the game against Canada on the 16th, and then he'll play the elimination games from there.  If he wins that game against Canada, he could play as few as 4 games the whole tournament, and never on back to back days.  If they play for Gold on the 23rd, it would be challenging for Rask to be back in action on the 26th vs. Buffalo - why set him up for injury or a less than stellar outing against the worst team in the East.  Play 85.  I'm almost tempted to suggest that they give Svedberg the game against Washington, 85 against the Rangers and again against the Panthers.  But then it's Rask, Rask, 85, Rask, Rask, Rask (both ends of a back to back), Rask, CJ (back to back), and then Rask pretty much to the end of March.  Last few games of the year are Winnipeg, Buffalo, NJ, so plenty of occasion to rest Rask for the playoffs.  In fact, most of April, the Bruins face borderline non-playoff teams - I hate that because they get soft against soft touches, so I hope the races are fierce and each of these teams brings some energy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Since Seidenberg's injury (December 27, 2013), the following is the state of the Bruins goaltending:

• Rask's save percentage is 0.897 (281 shots faced)
    • Johnson's save percentage is 0.940 (166 shots faced)

The choice is clear, play Johnson against the better teams and hope Rask finds his game somewhere down the line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE]

Tuuka will be just fine!

Although I agree with you Nite, I don't think Johnson will get that many starts. His rebound control has gotten better as well.[/QUOTE]

Well i dont think hes been just fine since seidz has gone down.  In fact its a bit worrisome.   Take seidz and chara out and combine injuries and well....our def is bad.  [/QUOTE]

The Bs give up 29 shots a game. Did that go up significantly after Seidenberg went down ?

Or did it seem opponents quality shots did go up after the injury ?

The Bs PK was horrifc when Tuukka wasn't stopping a few shots that he would normally eat up while yawning. The horrible penalty kill streak seemed to coincide with Seidenberg going down but it picked back up after the west coast road trip. I don't generally blame goalies when a hockey team is a man down though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since Seidenberg's injury (December 27, 2013), the following is the state of the Bruins goaltending:

The choice is clear, play Johnson against the better teams and hope Rask finds his game somewhere down the line.

[/QUOTE]

Although that stat is somewhat alarming CJ gets 20% of the games.  No more.  Rasks game isnt lost.  He had a bit of a rough patch. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Mtl played buday vs bruins and that worked  out fine
    Although that stat is somewhat alarming CJ gets 20% of the games.  No more.  Rasks game isnt lost.  He had a bit of a rough patch. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That may have been the Bruins worst game of the year.  I dont trust CJ.   I do trust Rask in 75-80% of our games.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I like Nite's plan for one reason.  Ochocinco is fine playing inFebruary and early March.  Afterwards Rask has the bulk of the games leading up to the playoffs.  The can have a .500 record and still record a 100 point regular season.  This fine was this fan.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Tuuka will be just fine!

Well i dont think hes been just fine since seidz has gone down.  In fact its a bit worrisome.   Take seidz and chara out and combine injuries and well....our def is bad.  

worrisome indeed, worrisome indeed. the bruins are 1st in the entire league in goals against. mind you they've done this with a slew of rookies since season's start, and minus seids for the past month or so. how in the world could anyone say in any way that "our defense is bad?" rask has not been that great since seids injury. period. not because of defensive breakdowns, but because he's been letting in very unrask-like goals. no biggie... he'll regain his form. ride the hot hand going into the olympic break(johnson- van and ott/ rask- st. L), and give tuukka rest going into the olympics. any thoughts beyond socchi- should be left till after socchi. we have no clue how far finland will make it and how many games he'll play there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Tuuka played great against Vancouver last night and with Johnson playing well things look super going forward. Now if the defense can hold up with Chara out for the next 2 games carrying the flag for Slovakia in the Olympic Opening Ceremonies we'll be in fine shape.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

Tuuka will be just fine!

worrisome indeed, worrisome indeed. the bruins are 1st in the entire league in goals against. mind you they've done this with a slew of rookies since season's start, and minus seids for the past month or so. how in the world could anyone say in any way that "our defense is bad?" rask has not been that great since seids injury. period. not because of defensive breakdowns, but because he's been letting in very unrask-like goals. no biggie... he'll regain his form. ride the hot hand going into the olympic break(johnson- van and ott/ rask- st. L), and give tuukka rest going into the olympics. any thoughts beyond socchi- should be left till after socchi. we have no clue how far finland will make it and how many games he'll play there.

I said take seidz chara out.  Without these 2 our defense is bad as in the 4 remaining guys.  Not the team defense which is always a priority.  Rask makes 7 million a year.  If he cant handle the load why the heck is he paid 7 a year.  Im confused.  No issues with a game before and after.  But 60%.  What the heck are we paying him for at 60%.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I said take seidz chara out.  Without these 2 our defense is bad as in the 4 remaining guys.  Not the team defense which is always a priority.  Rask makes 7 million a year.  If he cant handle the load why the heck is he paid 7 a year.  Im confused.  No issues with a game before and after.  But 60%.  What the heck are we paying him for at 60%.  

[/QUOTE]

First off i don't think the B's defence is as bad as you think,maybe not "experienced", but not bad.As for playing Rask 60% of the time i think its a matter of the Bruins can as opposed to have to.Ochocinco has played good in the starts he's had and i see nothing wrong with playing him.If the B's needed to play Rask in 80% of the games then i think they would and Rask seems fine with it as well. I hope the Bruins pick up another d-man with playoff experience but am not so sure it will be a top 4 guy,i can hope though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First off i don't think the B's defence is as bad as you think,maybe not "experienced", but not bad.As for playing Rask 60% of the time i think its a matter of the Bruins can as opposed to have to.Ochocinco has played good in the starts he's had and i see nothing wrong with playing him.If the B's needed to play Rask in 80% of the games then i think they would and Rask seems fine with it as well. I hope the Bruins pick up another d-man with playoff experience but am not so sure it will be a top 4 guy,i can hope though. 

[/QUOTE]

Krug, mcQ, boychuk(very good top4) hamilton.   I guess bad isnt a proper word so i will kindly take thst back.  Very inexperienced and would be exposed.  as much as it came across that they were bad, i should have strained that chara is the most important man in the nhl.  Seidz we know isnt coming back.  Chara for the love of god needs a rest and MUST stay healthy.  Without seidz and chara we would be in BIG trouble.  

I whined to an annoying point that i was concerned that Rask may tire bc hes never handled a full season as "the man".   It is proven he is the man and they dumped a load of cash and yrs to him.  Why are we protecting him.  Yes, he should rest like every other starter who plays 65-70+ gms.  7 million a year and 60%?   This is a unique year and yes i want him fresh for the playoffs.  

should chara play 60% of the games left this season.  No one needs rest and health more then Z. 

I echo your desire for a top 4.  In fact i think this is priority # 1 bc we are kicking tires on all available high end dmen like daley, buff, girardi etc.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Krug, mcQ, boychuk(very good top4) hamilton.   I guess bad isnt a proper word so i will kindly take thst back.  Very inexperienced and would be exposed.  as much as it came across that they were bad, i should have strained that chara is the most important man in the nhl.  Seidz we know isnt coming back.  Chara for the love of god needs a rest and MUST stay healthy.  Without seidz and chara we would be in BIG trouble.  

I whined to an annoying point that i was concerned that Rask may tire bc hes never handled a full season as "the man".   It is proven he is the man and they dumped a load of cash and yrs to him.  Why are we protecting him.  Yes, he should rest like every other starter who plays 65-70+ gms.  7 million a year and 60%?   This is a unique year and yes i want him fresh for the playoffs.  

should chara play 60% of the games left this season.  No one needs rest and health more then Z. 

I echo your desire for a top 4.  In fact i think this is priority # 1 bc we are kicking tires on all available high end dmen like daley, buff, girardi etc.   

[/QUOTE]

Chara in my mind should not only be up for the Norris every year, but could have been nominated for the  Hart trophy at least once, because not only is he one of the best 3 defencemen in the league year in and year out,he is that valuable to his team. Anyone that watches the Bruins regularly knows how much he brings to the team and how valuable he is on a nightly basis, he is that good and is taken for granted.If he goes down, all goes down the drain for the B's,its that simple and emphasizes how important he is.

As far as Tuukka goes, i say play him all the time and rest him on a few of the back to backs,he's young enough and good enough to handle the load.A top four as i said would be fantastic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

why does rask have to play just because he makes lots of money?

he gives up to many easy goals.  although the winner last night wasnt his fault.

the sooner the public and management  realizes the bruins cant win anything with rask(just ask milbury)  the better off they will be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Rask is the Bruins #1 goalie, and Claude will play him regularly, with some off nights for Johnson. I am not sold on Krug beyond his offensive capabilities, which he seems to be stretching too often lately, but that may be lack of smarts or overeager. Krug is being run over by most large forwards, but Bartkowski , Miller, and even Hamilton are improving constantly. Boychuck is still solid, but less than smart, and hopefully McQ will return after the Olympics, or Peter needs to make a trade.

Sections
Shortcuts