how to stop hits to the head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: how to stop hits to the head

Just give them all fat suits. Solved!

Your reasoning is sound but I don't think that would ever work. In the Cooke Savard situation, Cooke gets re-suspended after Savard goes out again? Hunwick gets suspended for his career if Savard doesn't come back even though it the Cooke concussion was worse? Just make the punishment for intentional hits to the head harsh - 1-3-5-10-20 depending on the severity and people will think twice before going high.

Hits to the head should be minimized but you'll never get rid of them entirely. Honestly, I think they might have to make the helmets better, the glass softer but still strong (I know, I know but you know what I mean), and penalize the really aggregious acts in order to cut down on the concussions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

nrguy, illegal hits only... hunwicks hit was not illegal, and the cooke situation was a mess(should have been a penalty-now it is).... all decisions are from here moving forward. and yes re-suspending of players is part of the deal...forever linked to their stupidity on the ice. i realize this will never happen...but...its the only way to stop these hits targeting the head. but now that its sid who's concussed... you never know(and his hit is questionable as far as illegal- he skated into the hit)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

There are so many factors that go into a consussion that I don't see this working (prior concussions, helmet, position, etc.)  Every player has made a mistake and hit someone when they shouldn't have.  I think your idea assumes that all illegal hits to the head are intentional, and there could be some thought process about the length of the suspension before the hit.  But realistically, you have a incredibly fast game played largely on instinct and growing incidents of players doing a lousy job protecting themselves (turning to face the boards at the last minute...).

With Matt Cooke's hit I would be fine with the long punishment, but most hits are not that clear.  Do you think Randy Jones' hit on Bergeron was intentional?  I don't.  When you commit to a hit, at that speed, and the guy turns in a way you were not expecting you sometimes deliver very bad hits without intending to.  So, I think the league should still have the discretion to decide on the punishment.  Making Randy Jones sit out for an entire year for the Bergeron hit would be crazy.  He probably deserved 3 games.

Of the many people on this board who have played competitive hockey, can anyone here really tell me they have never delivered a bad, ugly hit, without even intending to?  The key with the suspensions to me is intent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

A cheap hit and youre suspended MINIMUM 10 games, and it goes up for previous suspensions, and your suspended for as long as the guy is out.  If his career is over, so is yours, end of story, and your pay is put into the emergency fund.  AND you are banned from hockey for 10 years.  Pretty simple and it would stop the cheap hits IMEDIATELY!  You CAN NOT tell me Cooke or anyone else would throw another dirty hit knowing their career and paycheck could end.  There is no place for the dirty stuff thats been taking place.  If the league would ever figure out the instigator rule is IDIOTIC and allow someone like Thornton to beat the hell out of Cooke for doing something like that, they wouldnt be running around in the first place.  The guys who throw the cheap shots are protected by the league more than the guys who play clean.  Thats a fact you cant dispute.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: how to stop hits to the head:
    [QUOTE]There are so many factors that go into a consussion that I don't see this working (prior concussions, helmet, position, etc.)  Every player has made a mistake and hit someone when they shouldn't have.  I think your idea assumes that all illegal hits to the head are intentional, and there could be some thought process about the length of the suspension before the hit.  But realistically, you have a incredibly fast game played largely on instinct and growing incidents of players doing a lousy job protecting themselves (turning to face the boards at the last minute...). With Matt Cooke's hit I would be fine with the long punishment, but most hits are not that clear.  Do you think Randy Jones' hit on Bergeron was intentional?  I don't.  When you commit to a hit, at that speed, and the guy turns in a way you were not expecting you sometimes deliver very bad hits without intending to.  So, I think the league should still have the discretion to decide on the punishment.  Making Randy Jones sit out for an entire year for the Bergeron hit would be crazy.  He probably deserved 3 games. Of the many people on this board who have played competitive hockey, can anyone here really tell me they have never delivered a bad, ugly hit, without even intending to?  The key with the suspensions to me is intent.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    I said it on a previous thread but what if you happen to be the guy who belted Lindros for the last time?If you were to suspend a player for the length of time a guy is injured,it would make it a tough call whether you would allow some guys to play in the league anymore.If a guy is shown to be already susceptible to concussions,it doesn't seem fair for him to be out there if suspensions were to be dealt with in this manner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

We're not talking suspending guys for tough plays on previously injured players (Hunwick).  We're talking about dirty hits that can and do potentially end careers, i.e., Alf & Marchment.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]We're not talking suspending guys for tough plays on previously injured players (Hunwick).  We're talking about dirty hits that can and do potentially end careers, i.e., Alf & Marchment.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Who's going to decide which hits are dirty and which hits are clean?How do you like Campbells' decisions on the subject so far?I've no problem with your idea provided there's a way to differentiate between hits.Maybe a vote on each questionable hit by the player's union.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

first time or last time - a hit to the head is a hit to the head...with a stick,elbow or shoulder. the hit must be illegal and intentional- not talking about borderline hits. you can still hit a guy hard- just play the body though. p.s. i know this will never happen. but how else can this be addressed? look at it like the death penalty... you kill someone, you die. you end a guys career, yours is over also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

dez- i don't know, how this could be fairly addressed. but what i do know is there is no effective deterent at this time, therefore it will continue until there is

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]dez- i don't know, how this could be fairly addressed. but what i do know is there is no effective deterent at this time, therefore it will continue until there is
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Like I said,maybe a vote by the players regarding each hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

dez,players vote could work, but leave the 2 teams effected out of the vote

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Thats why I hate the league, its really a joke.  Good ole boys club mentality and things NEVER change for the better.  Until Bettmen and Campbell are out, I think youll constantly say the same things over and over.  Until they get someone who isnt afraid of the players and TV contracts, youll have crap like this going on.  Dirty hits are obvious, its not as hard as they are making it out to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]There are so many factors that go into a consussion that I don't see this working (prior concussions, helmet, position, etc.)  Every player has made a mistake and hit someone when they shouldn't have.  I think your idea assumes that all illegal hits to the head are intentional, and there could be some thought process about the length of the suspension before the hit.  But realistically, you have a incredibly fast game played largely on instinct and growing incidents of players doing a lousy job protecting themselves (turning to face the boards at the last minute...). With Matt Cooke's hit I would be fine with the long punishment, but most hits are not that clear.  Do you think Randy Jones' hit on Bergeron was intentional?  I don't.  When you commit to a hit, at that speed, and the guy turns in a way you were not expecting you sometimes deliver very bad hits without intending to.  So, I think the league should still have the discretion to decide on the punishment.  Making Randy Jones sit out for an entire year for the Bergeron hit would be crazy.  He probably deserved 3 games. Of the many people on this board who have played competitive hockey, can anyone here really tell me they have never delivered a bad, ugly hit, without even intending to?  The key with the suspensions to me is intent.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

You said,"players making the mistake of turning their face to the boards".In the offensive zone players do this all the time on the offensive cycle.Protect the puck is what its all about.The problem is you are at a dangerous distance to the boards often.My queston is this.Back in the 70s and 80s the D would cluch and grab would happen not the shove.So many things have happened in the last 10-20 years.6-5 defence the shoulder is at a 6 ft forwards head.In years past a 6-5 guy couldnt skate.The shoulder pads are now football pads.Let me also say the d has only 1 shot to take down a forward now on a 1 on 1 they can not cluch and grab as in years past.Milbury was the worst cluch and grabber i have ever seen.In todays game hed be going for their head.To quote  a famous rapper they have ! SHOT and sometimes its to the head.Too many things too mention.I dont see a silver bullet in this.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how funny is it that my original post read...seems easy to me...and after discussion i realize it's anything but.

Sections
Shortcuts