How Will Winnipeg/Manitoba Franchise Affect Division and Conference Structure?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

How Will Winnipeg/Manitoba Franchise Affect Division and Conference Structure?

Now that the deal to bring back a Winnipeg/Manitoba franchise is all but finalized, the Divisions (and even the Conferences) are sure to be affected.  The Southeast Division is in need of a 5th team, and I highly doubt that spot will be filled by a franchise from Midwestern Canada.  So, how will the NHL restructure the divisions?

My guess is that either the Columbus Blue Jackets or the Nashville Predators will move to the Eastern Conference to become the 5th Southeast Division team.  First of all, they are the two closest franchises to the Southeast Division, so they wouldn't have to travel very far.  Secondly, the Blue Jackets and Predators are relatively new teams, so it's not like they have developed intense rivalries with other teams in their division.  At least, I don't think so.

What do you guys think will happen to the Division/Conference structure?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: How Will Winnipeg/Manitoba Franchise Affect Division and Conference Structure?

My vote would be Nashville. They also seem to play a more Eastern Conference style hockey. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: How Will Winnipeg/Manitoba Franchise Affect Division and Conference Structure?

I've heard Detroit, though obviously CLB and NSH ,makes more sense but Illitch has been trying to get to the East so half his games aren't 2 hours later than normal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I've heard CLB or DET to the northeast Bruins to the southeast kicked around on NHL live. Financially travel wise it has to make sense so Columbus would be the cheapest move for the ownership.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

There is no way Detroit is leaving the Central.  The rivalries vs. the Blackhawks and Blues are too meaningful in my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

It has been reported (by Darren Dreger) that Winnipeg will play in the Southeast division next year. There will be no re-alignment until the 2012-2013 season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'd personally like to see Winnipeg in the Central. Although it makes geographic sense for Winnipeg to join the NW, I'd leave Minnesota there so it's not stacked with Canadian teams. By adding Winnipeg to the Central instead, it bumps Nashville to move to the SE where they naturally belong.

Northwest
    Calgary – Colorado – Edmonton – Minnesota – Vancouver

Pacific
    Anaheim – Dallas – Los Angeles – Phoenix – San Jose

Central
    Chicago – Columbus – Detroit – St. Louis - Winnipeg

Southeast

Carolina – Florida – Nashville – Tampa Bay – Washington

Atlantic

New Jersey – New York Islanders – New York Rangers – Philadelphia – Pittsburgh

Northeast
    Boston – Buffalo – Montreal – Ottawa - Toronto

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No way Winnipeg stays in the southeast..Way too much travel especially for the back to back games against division rivals, theres no way the NHLPA will allow that one. Also I know Detroit has a history with Blues and Blackhawks but they also have a history with Maple Leafs and Rangers and since the Wings seem to always get the NBC sunday game it makes sense to have them go against Pitt,Wash,N.Y Rangers since they'd be playing them more often and the game would be more meaningful.

Sections
Shortcuts