How's everyone feeling about the B's this offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: How's everyone feeling about the B's this offseason?

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And for the record, I just usually pull some old cardboard boxes and newspapers over my parka and sweatpants.  It gets chilly at night here....

Are you not entertained?!?!

[/QUOTE]

yea yea while smoking a pipe or cigar....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Ok, so - PJ's aside -

What's the big difference between this year's team and last year's?  No Iginla and no Thornton; a year of significant development for Smith, Soderberg (we know he's a centre, now, for sure), Krug, Hamilton, Bartkowski, and Miller and for Spooner, Fraser and Florek who had very little NHL experience going into last year.  And hopefully the only time we see the term "reacharound" this year, it has nothing to do with pulling the goalie.

That's it.  To paraphrase Allen Iverson, we're talkin' about one 37 yr. old RW.  So let's turn it on its head for a second and ask: what would the risk be if the Bruins had signed Iginla for another bonus-laden contract?  He hasn't had many injury problems, but he's getting to an age where that might not be easy to do.  He's going to start to decline - what recourse would the Bruins have had if they had him on the books and his performance went downhill quickly?  What if the Cap doesn't go up by much next year and they have another $5M carry over, and another no Cup year to show where Iginla isn't much of a difference maker?

Iginla wasn't risk free any more than moving Eriksson up is risk free.  It's likely they'll be different this year.  It's likely they score fewer goals as a team, and I don't see another historic winning streak for them next year.  They may not win the East.  But all that said, I think there's every chance they get to the finals again, and with the top guys on this team in their prime, except for Chara, and with all due respect to the top teams in the West - I think the Bruins could take a 7 game series against any team in the league.  Not every time, but they can do it.  Call it 50-50.  Or if you're pessimistic, 40-60.  But I'll take that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

They have little cap room, need to sign Krug and Smith while having a surplus of defenseman. They also have Bergeron,Krejci and Soderberg as the centers with Spooner and Koko waiting. Sounds like all the ingredients for a trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

KoKo finished really strong last season in Providence, played really well in the playoffs. Some might say trade him now while his stock is high or that he still has time to bolt to the KHL before the season starts. I'd like to see what KoKo could do on Soderberg's wing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The other thing to bear in mind here is the beyonceing about the Cap.  Let's take a step back and remember this team didn't win bupkus for almost 40 years when there was no Cap and the biggest reason for it, in many people's minds, is that the Jacobs Cap kept them from getting that "one more guy" who would have pushed them over the top.

The Cap ostensibly levels the field; in reality, it's advantage Bruins because they'll spend to it knowing that no one else can outdo them by spending even more.  I wonder if they would have a $70M roster in a non-cap world, or if they'd be moving guys - like Krejci - who would look at the Kane and Toews deals and expect $9M+ in a non-cap world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

do we attempt to picture the DR ?  what about SanDog ? 50below I know, it's one of those jump suits with the feet, he and his wife have the matching PJs ;)

[/QUOTE]

I have a Jackrabbit pair,you know,like the one Chara wears at halloween,except with a B's logo on the front,their real comfy and even have a pocket on the side to hold my Bruins 79-80 o-pee-chee complete set hockey cards.On game days i never take them off.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trying to remember what happened to the all mighty Seguin in the playoffs the past three seasons. How the Bruins offense survived without the irreplaceable Tyler.

Quick Paul Simon write a song about long lost Iggy!

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

[/QUOTE]
    San, you've been hanging around NAS too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Blame RasK!  You all rolled your internet eyes at me.   Seguin, Horton, Iggy....boychuk...Marchand....DK....???   Whos next bc we cant afford them?  I sure wish it would have been a grasual raise seeing where we are now.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS.  Black spidey pjs.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I see the worry and I understand the concern, Bim. I just don't understand how some have forgotten that PC has made trades to improve the team without disrupting his core talent.

Either Chiarelli is "Billy Beane" in his office right now or he waits till camp. I say Smith and Krug happen within the next couple of days and then a couple or one big trade happens.

Then everyone can head off for vacation till camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Better ?  you must be joking. we have no idea how he will develop.  Am I missing something ?

[/QUOTE]

Your rose coloured glasses...

[/QUOTE]

and Fruit Loop Bruin PJ's .  I forget whom on here has a pair ?

[/QUOTE]

In regards to Pastrnak; he's better in terms of grit to go along with the speed 'n skill.  And he's a natural winger.

And I'm proud of my Bruins PJ's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I feel just ducky about this offseason. No reason not to. You can wear the rose colored glasses in the offseason.

This team is a perennial contender, solid at key positions, lots of youth, and will have some money if the cap goes up next year.

When the season starts we may feel differently, but at this point there is no reason not to be optimistic...unless you feel the Cup chances left with Iggy. I don't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]

KoKo finished really strong last season in Providence, played really well in the playoffs. Some might say trade him now while his stock is high or that he still has time to bolt to the KHL before the season starts. I'd like to see what KoKo could do on Soderberg's wing.

[/QUOTE]

I second that -- kid can score goals, put him on the 3rd line wing and let's see if he can do it in the NHL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I second that -- kid can score goals, put him on the 3rd line wing and let's see if he can do it in the NHL

[/QUOTE]
    The 3rd line needs speed.  That's not one of Koko's strong suits.

He's probably a better fit on the 4th line w/ Paille right now.  That line might actually score some goals.  And you could call it the Chowline.  Pie, Soup and Cocoa. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In the present I am always constructively critical, I the future tense I am always positive. The Bs will do well this year . PC will come through by March. To think otherwise is counterproductive. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

did someone say that Pastrnak's already better than Seguin?....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blame RasK!  You all rolled your internet eyes at me.   Seguin, Horton, Iggy....boychuk...Marchand....DK....???   Whos next bc we cant afford them?  I sure wish it would have been a grasual raise seeing where we are now.  

[/QUOTE]

OK, so, say they gave him another one-year deal at $5M after he backstops them to the Cup.  What do you think he gets as the reigning Vezina winner this year?  I mean, isn't his argument now that in two years as the starter, he's taken you to a Cup, a President's Trophy behind Pied Piper Chara and the children of Hamelin on Defense, and won a Vezina?

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And seriously, you're going to blame Rask because the Bruins can't afford to pay Boychuk 11/14ths of what Rask will make (since everyone's convinced he'll get $5.5M on the open market)?  Oh no, we can't overpay for a second pairing defenseman!!  Stupid Vezina winning goaltender!  Oh no, we couldn't pay $18M over his 37-40th birthdays for Iginla!!  Stupid in his prime goaltender!  Oh no, we had to let a guy who didn't want the spotlight and hasn't been healthy in four years walk away!!  Stupid healthy goaltender!

Any other player whose salary gets driven up by the market, which makes them probably a stupid signing risk, but it's Rask's contract that's the root problem.

I don't know why it bothers me so much.  I think it's because I really liked Dudley Doright cartoons as a kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

More than 1/2 the league has budgeted 6 million plus for goaltending (or 3+ million per goalie).  I also see that many of the teams that did not have this budget either did not make the playoffs or got bounced early from the playoffs.  It seems as though you get what you pay for when it comes to goaltending.  I have no problem with the Bruins thinking Rask is their guy.  

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Better ?  you must be joking. we have no idea how he will develop.  Am I missing something ?

[/QUOTE]

Your rose coloured glasses...

[/QUOTE]

and Fruit Loop Bruin PJ's .  I forget whom on here has a pair ?

[/QUOTE]

Fruit Loops are Cheerios' gay cousin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know their has been discussion of signings and who to trade, but how is everyone feeling about this team going forward? If nothing changes, I think the roster will be a little weaker with the loss of Iginla. Just a little.....I dont know much about some of the P Bruins, but Im not sold on Caron moving into a roster spot. I think he has had enough time to make it and just has not shown it. Id definitely like to see someone else brought in for a shot. Anyway, I have mixed emotions about how the team will look and perform this year. Here's to hoping someone else steps in and steps up, like Smith did. No one expected that. And Soderberg had a great year. Hopefully loui can perform better. Anyway, with the STUPID cap situation, its really not helping the B's. Makes for some boring offseason action when there isnt anything to work with. Maybe it will pick up before the season starts, but its all speculation right now.

[/QUOTE]

Still feeling the sting of the Hab's series here. I'm happy with the youth development . There will be a trade sometime involving the d-men. Seidenberg will be back. Soderberg's a bear. Loui's going to click. Hope Marchand's surgery went o.k. Still excited about the team (since my first game in 1958)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bgrif008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know their has been discussion of signings and who to trade, but how is everyone feeling about this team going forward? If nothing changes, I think the roster will be a little weaker with the loss of Iginla. Just a little.....I dont know much about some of the P Bruins, but Im not sold on Caron moving into a roster spot. I think he has had enough time to make it and just has not shown it. Id definitely like to see someone else brought in for a shot. Anyway, I have mixed emotions about how the team will look and perform this year. Here's to hoping someone else steps in and steps up, like Smith did. No one expected that. And Soderberg had a great year. Hopefully loui can perform better. Anyway, with the STUPID cap situation, its really not helping the B's. Makes for some boring offseason action when there isnt anything to work with. Maybe it will pick up before the season starts, but its all speculation right now.

[/QUOTE]

Still excited about the team (since my first game in 1958)

[/QUOTE]

Yikes, wasn't much to get excited about back then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

The team certainly hasn't gotten better during the offseason so far. Putting Eriksson on top line is really reaching. Fill ins like Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Florek are not going to cut it at the NHL level. Hopefully there is more to come before the season starts. It's still early but as it stands now the team has taken a step back. Nobody should be expecting the Presidents Trophy next season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The team certainly hasn't gotten better during the offseason so far. Putting Eriksson on top line is really reaching. Fill ins like Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Florek are not going to cut it at the NHL level. Hopefully there is more to come before the season starts. It's still early but as it stands now the team has taken a step back. Nobody should be expecting the Presidents Trophy next season.

[/QUOTE]

Thats ok by me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fill ins like Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Florek are not going to cut it at the NHL level. 

[/QUOTE]

Ugggh !

Why not just say ...................anyone playing for Providence ? 

They will only be needed to fill in at the 3rd-4th line open spots this year ........not compete for the Art Ross trophy.