How's everyone feeling about the B's this offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: How's everyone feeling about the B's this offseason?

I'm of two minds when people diss the idea of bringing up the prospects to compete for open roster spots.   On the one hand, I agree with Chowdah - if you're not willing to give them a shot to play 3rd and 4th line minutes and see if they can contribute at the NHL level, then why even have draft picks.  Trade them all every year for the best players you can get for them and be done with it.

On the other hand, this is what happens when an idea worms its way into the discussion.  Chiarelli hasn't had a successful draft pick other than the two guys taken with the top 10 picks he got from Toronto.  So this means Chiarelli can't draft, which means the prospects in the minors are no good which means whenever they need to go to that well, it's a failure.   

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fill ins like Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Florek are not going to cut it at the NHL level. 

[/QUOTE]

Ugggh !

Why not just say ...................anyone playing for Providence ? 

They will only be needed to fill in at the 3rd-4th line open spots this year ........not compete for the Art Ross trophy.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, anyone playing for Providence then. They have all had some playing time on the Bruins and have not really proven to be NHL caliber. Spooner has the most upside but that's even a stretch.
    These players should not be depended on for even 3rd or 4th line duties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Theres a lot of question marks going into the season but I have faith that 1-2 of the Providence players can step up & do a good NHL job. Weather that being Fraser on 3rd line LW, Florek 3rd RW, Robins / Florek 4th line RW or KoKo on Krecji,s right side. Theres many, many intangibles in place & you have to see how they filter out. Their strength is down the middle on the forward lines & defense, maybe the back-up plan is Boychuk & his trade value? Lots of questions that will be answered soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What is it with people on this board who have "SoxFan" as part of their screen name?

jp, have a look for the list that someone - maybe Chowdah? - did on another thread that shows the production of Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Smith...pretty much every Bruin forward, if I remember correctly, in their first stretch of time in the league.  There are no instant stars.

Tyler Seguin had 22 points in his first 74 games.  That's 0.297 points/game.

Ryan Spooner has 11 points in 27 career games.  That's 0.407 points/game.

Things seem to be going okay for Tyler and his nearly $6M a year in Dallas.  Maybe we wait until we have a reasonable sample size before writing off Spooner?  Sure, the odds say he won't be top 10 scorer, but giving up too soon is a good way to ensure he never benefits the Bruins even if he does become an NHL player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:[QUOTE] Fill ins like Caron, Spooner, Fraser, Florek are not going to cut it at the NHL level.  [/QUOTE]

They will only be needed to fill in at the 3rd-4th line open spots this year ........not compete for the Art Ross trophy.[/QUOTE]

Ok, anyone playing for Providence then. They have all had some playing time on the Bruins and have not really proven to be NHL caliber. Spooner has the most upside but that's even a stretch.
    These players should not be depended on for even 3rd or 4th line duties. [/QUOTE]

I don't think Spooner, Fraser and Florek have had enough NHL playing time just yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

What is it with people on this board who have "SoxFan" as part of their screen name?

jp, have a look for the list that someone - maybe Chowdah? - did on another thread that shows the production of Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Smith...pretty much every Bruin forward, if I remember correctly, in their first stretch of time in the league.  There are no instant stars.

Tyler Seguin had 22 points in his first 74 games.  That's 0.297 points/game.

Ryan Spooner has 11 points in 27 career games.  That's 0.407 points/game.

Things seem to be going okay for Tyler and his nearly $6M a year in Dallas.  Maybe we wait until we have a reasonable sample size before writing off Spooner?  Sure, the odds say he won't be top 10 scorer, but giving up too soon is a good way to ensure he never benefits the Bruins even if he does become an NHL player.

If you had read my screen name properly before shooting your mouth off you would see it says B's fan first !! Just because I like other Boston teams doesn't mean you have more right to be here than me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep me.

Basically everyone of the current Bruins forwards ( and Iggy ) stats in their first 23 games were puny.........except for Bergeron and a 28 year old Soderberg.

Spooner's point totals were 3rd.

Poster expecting instant results have a ways to go before they realize how a lot of players enter the NHL.........including those posters whose name ends in fan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep me.

Basically everyone of the current Bruins forwards ( and Iggy ) stats in their first 23 games were puny.........except for Bergeron and a 28 year old Soderberg.

Poster expecting instant results have a ways to go before they realize how a lot of players enter the NHL.........including those posters whose name ends in fan.

[/QUOTE]

I forgot you were a professional scout and an expert at identifying prospects.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep me.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great responses..I could learn a thing or two from you  ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Well not really.......but thanks. 

I just looked up how the current Bruins did at the start of their careers. Simple explanation.

Pssssssst............I am a professional at picking out those who don't know what they're talking about though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well not really.......but thanks. 

I just looked up how the current Bruins did at the start of their careers. Simple explanation.

Pssssssst............I am a professional at picking out those who don't know what they're talking about though.

[/QUOTE]

I second that.!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And seriously, you're going to blame Rask because the Bruins can't afford to pay Boychuk 11/14ths of what Rask will make (since everyone's convinced he'll get $5.5M on the open market)?  Oh no, we can't overpay for a second pairing defenseman!!  Stupid Vezina winning goaltender!  Oh no, we couldn't pay $18M over his 37-40th birthdays for Iginla!!  Stupid in his prime goaltender!  Oh no, we had to let a guy who didn't want the spotlight and hasn't been healthy in four years walk away!!  Stupid healthy goaltender!

Any other player whose salary gets driven up by the market, which makes them probably a stupid signing risk, but it's Rask's contract that's the root problem.

I don't know why it bothers me so much.  I think it's because I really liked Dudley Doright cartoons as a kid.

I wanted this kinda response.  You love me.  So much i got two replies.  Haha. 

I see you didnt touch on  seguin who is now a top talent. Dealt more so to clear Rask room then bc of problem issues.  

They overpaid when they could have said we will give you 5.75 over 6.  Presidents, Vezina, and cup finals.  Very similar to Loungo.  No Cup though and a weakened roster with an aging Chara.  Like i said...his best chances likely passed him by twice now.  CJ just put up a season as backup similar to Rask.  Dont you see the trend?   In a rfa year no team was gonna give him that deal.  Its hurting us now.  Boychuk may not be a top pairing but he sure makes Rask look good.  Lets see how rask does in a year from now when chara is a bit older, seidz is a bit older and boychuk walks.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Sure Shupe, that 1.25 difference you spoke of would've signed iginla, extended Boychuk, and probably even turned Seguin into a playoff scorer. You're right. They should have just let rask walk and gone with Johnson. They're so alike that I can barely tell them apart. You know who the real fools are? The 70's Canadiens. They could have just ran with Bunny Laraque the whole time instead of wasting so many starts on Dryden. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

And seriously, you're going to blame Rask because the Bruins can't afford to pay Boychuk 11/14ths of what Rask will make (since everyone's convinced he'll get $5.5M on the open market)?  Oh no, we can't overpay for a second pairing defenseman!!  Stupid Vezina winning goaltender!  Oh no, we couldn't pay $18M over his 37-40th birthdays for Iginla!!  Stupid in his prime goaltender!  Oh no, we had to let a guy who didn't want the spotlight and hasn't been healthy in four years walk away!!  Stupid healthy goaltender!

Any other player whose salary gets driven up by the market, which makes them probably a stupid signing risk, but it's Rask's contract that's the root problem.

I don't know why it bothers me so much.  I think it's because I really liked Dudley Doright cartoons as a kid.

I see you didnt touch on  seguin who is now a top talent. Dealt more so to clear Rask room then bc of problem issues.  

They overpaid when they could have said we will give you 5.75 over 6.  Presidents, Vezina, and cup finals.  Very similar to Loungo.  No Cup though and a weakened roster with an aging Chara.  Like i said...his best chances likely passed him by twice now.  CJ just put up a season as backup similar to Rask.  Dont you see the trend?   In a rfa year no team was gonna give him that deal.  Its hurting us now.  Boychuk may not be a top pairing but he sure makes Rask look good.  Lets see how rask does in a year from now when chara is a bit older, seidz is a bit older and boychuk walks.  

[/QUOTE]

I hi-lited those 2 statements, because, unless you were in the room with the Bruins' brass & Stanley, you really have no idea if these are true.

The 1.25M saving with your proposal, would not have been enough to keep Seguin, and we really don't know what was said in the contract negotiations, or how much Rask was asking for to begin with.

Your argument about the vaunted Bruins D making goalies look good, is also flawed. Anton Khudobin is really the only goalie that offers a base comparison, and his numbers improved, when he went to a very bad Carolina team.

People spend too much time, worrying about the past, and things they have no control over. Time to move on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sure Shupe, that 1.25 difference you spoke of would've signed iginla, extended Boychuk, and probably even turned Seguin into a playoff scorer. You're right. They should have just let rask walk and gone with Johnson. They're so alike that I can barely tell them apart. You know who the real fools are? The 70's Canadiens. They could have just ran with Bunny Laraque the whole time instead of wasting so many starts on Dryden. 

-Gerry Dee

[/QUOTE]

I like bunny's.  Remind me when rask has anything near the career dryden has.   Please.  I dont remember Dryden losing on a stacked habs team.  1.25 may not sound like much but enjoy spooner and caron this year.   And Rask wasnt a ufa.  Where was he gonna walk to?   If edmonton or calgary signed him please let me be the first to take all those 1st round picks.  Yes please!   Would they have offered more then he got?   If not they still could have matched it.  

Did CJ just have an outstanding season with better numbers then rasks as a back up?   Pretty darn close without looking.  

PS. Please know that i knew book would reply.  You were fortunate to miss this last year my friend.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hi-lited those 2 statements, because, unless you were in the room with the Bruins' brass & Stanley, you really have no idea if these are true.

The 1.25M saving with your proposal, would not have been enough to keep Seguin, and we really don't know what was said in the contract negotiations, or how much Rask was asking for to begin with.

Your argument about the vaunted Bruins D making goalies look good, is also flawed. Anton Khudobin is really the only goalie that offers a base comparison, and his numbers improved, when he went to a very bad Carolina team.

People spend too much time, worrying about the past, and things they have no control over. Time to move on.

[/QUOTE]

Nope i dont know you are right.  But as i pointed out in my last post.  The bruins held hand in negotiations for a variety of reasons based on your reply. 

A.  There are only so many #1 gigs in the league.  At that time edm, calgary and the nyi likely would have been the strongest bets.  Please let him sign there for 7+ and give me all those A1 1st round picks.   Where did they come up with that# anyway?  I would understand paying a guy like quick that amount.  Especially since he didnt sign until after he won. 

B.  Seguin was already signed.  Likely still would have had the space to make the Iggy deal. 

C.  The amount i gave is based on a goalie with a cup, now with 2.  Just kept everyone but willie mitchell for next year.  

D.  Its not flawed.  I dont care if a guy leaves this system and does a little better...are you saying with this comment that Rask makes this system click?   You think CJ is gonna repeat what he just did?  Do you believe Rask would have the # he has in edmonton, calgary or nyi?   

People commented last year when i made issue of the deal that the cap wasnt an issue.  Well it is an issue.  And 1.25 m isnt a huge amount but it gives so e flexibility.   Maybe enough flexibility to extend boychuk to more then 4m per.  Maybe he stays at 5m.  Extra 1.25 might come in handy.  Or how about that extra 1.25 to keep DK here for a while.   All i read now is that marchand, boychuk and chara being dealt away for cap space.  I dont wanna lose any of them.  

Your last line is bang on though.  As you know im not a fan of long term goalie deals.  I could type Rask and get a rise outta Book.  I enjoy that.  Haha.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sorry Shupe but that was THE LONGEST POST EVER!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I don't need Rask to match Dryden to realize the absurdity of comparing a career backup to a Vezina winner. Any good coach tries to put his backup goalie into "winnable" games. If the league felt like you about Johnson then shouldn't teams have been knocking down his door to sign him as a starter instead of him signing at 1.3 per to backup Halak in NY for 2 years? Your Quick money comment also makes little sense to me. You say you don't like long deals for goalies but seem OK with Quick's 10 year deal. He made a million more than Rask last year and the only reason his cap hit is lower is because his pay drops so significantly in the last 3 years of his deal when he'll be creeping closer to 40. To get Rask's cap hit down then PC would've had to sign him for even longer. So which is it you don't like, high paid goalies or super long deals? Pick your poison. I was led to believe you were against both things but I'm easily confused. I just smoked my dessert.

-Gerry Dee

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

[/QUOTE]

Nope i dont know you are right.  But as i pointed out in my last post.  The bruins held hand in negotiations for a variety of reasons based on your reply. 

A.  There are only so many #1 gigs in the league.  At that time edm, calgary and the nyi likely would have been the strongest bets.  Please let him sign there for 7+ and give me all those A1 1st round picks.   Where did they come up with that# anyway?  I would understand paying a guy like quick that amount.  Especially since he didnt sign until after he won. 

The only way Rask signs for less than 6M, would be for a 1 year deal that would have made him a UFA this year.

B.  Seguin was already signed.  Likely still would have had the space to make the Iggy deal. 

When looking for cap room, NO gm decides to move their young superstar, unless there are under-lying circumstances. There were other options. Rask was not the reason, Seguin was moved.

C.  The amount i gave is based on a goalie with a cup, now with 2.  Just kept everyone but willie mitchell for next year.  

Contracts were signed under different CBA's. Not really comparable.

D.  Its not flawed.  I dont care if a guy leaves this system and does a little better...are you saying with this comment that Rask makes this system click?   You think CJ is gonna repeat what he just did?  Do you believe Rask would have the # he has in edmonton, calgary or nyi?   

You said it was the Bruins' D that might be making their goalies look better than they are, and I pointed out a goalie that put up even better numbers, when he went to a non-playoff team. That seems to negate what you said.

Would Rask have the same #'s in those cities? Maybe, maybe not. But I bet all three of those teams would have had much better records, if he was their goalie. 

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Ahhhh......the Rask money debate again.

Gives me a deja vu with the absurd money talk ( by some ) that was given to previous Bruins contracts (Boychuk and Seidenberg). Time has proven that as the cap has risen that those contracts were well worth the money in the end. They turned into bargains.

As the cap rises I expect the same with Rask's contract. Sometimes a team has to give a little more then they want at the start of the contracts to receive cap space ( compared to the going rate ) down the road.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't need Rask to match Dryden to realize the absurdity of comparing a career backup to a Vezina winner. Any good coach tries to put his backup goalie into "winnable" games. If the league felt like you about Johnson then shouldn't teams have been knocking down his door to sign him as a starter instead of him signing at 1.3 per to backup Halak in NY for 2 years? Your Quick money comment also makes little sense to me. You say you don't like long deals for goalies but seem OK with Quick's 10 year deal. He made a million more than Rask last year and the only reason his cap hit is lower is because his pay drops so significantly in the last 3 years of his deal when he'll be creeping closer to 40. To get Rask's cap hit down then PC would've had to sign him for even longer. So which is it you don't like, high paid goalies or super long deals? Pick your poison. I was led to believe you were against both things but I'm easily confused. I just smoked my dessert.

-Gerry Dee

[/QUOTE]

Who did rask play when he was backing up tt?  He played winnable games didnt he?   But comparing a 6 time stanley cup and 5 time vezina winner against rask is similar to comparing cj to rask.   

To clear it up im against quicks deal as well but he had a piece of hardware in his hands prior to signing.  

Just not a fan of 10% of the cap going to a goalie.  When i think a decent goalie would post vezina #s in this system.   You missed a majority of the Rask signing last summer.  It is what it is.  I just cringe when we continue to lose guys like seguin, possibly more(marchand/boychuk/dk).   There is only so much cash to go around.   I dont think he would have rejected 6m over 8.  I just dont know where they got those numbers.  

Chowda is likely right and in a few yrs this deal may look great.  Unfortunately i also think in a few yrs his chances of winning decrease.  

Cheers my friend.  I will let it die again.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

You don't lose guys you really want/need due to cap considerations. You just don't. If the Bruins had wanted to keep Seguin, they would have. There are so many moving parts and so many possible permutations for an NHL roster that you can make whatever work that you want to make work. Don't you think if the B's felt like Seguin would be a cornerstone player for the franchise they would have found a way to make it happen?

They didn't sign Rask to a huge contract because they had no choice: they considered him "the man" and locked him up, and I have no problem with that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

-Gerry Dee

Who did rask play when he was backing up tt?  He played winnable games didnt he?   But comparing a 6 time stanley cup and 5 time vezina winner against rask is similar to comparing cj to rask.   

To clear it up im against quicks deal as well but he had a piece of hardware in his hands prior to signing.  

Just not a fan of 10% of the cap going to a goalie.  When i think a decent goalie would post vezina #s in this system.   You missed a majority of the Rask signing last summer.  It is what it is.  I just cringe when we continue to lose guys like seguin, possibly more(marchand/boychuk/dk).   There is only so much cash to go around.   I dont think he would have rejected 6m over 8.  I just dont know where they got those numbers.  

Chowda is likely right and in a few yrs this deal may look great.  Unfortunately i also think in a few yrs his chances of winning decrease.  

Cheers my friend.  I will let it die again.  

[/QUOTE]

CJ just appeared in the most games of his career with 27. You seem to forget that Rask took over as the starter for awhile when TT was still here. Successful or not, he certainly wasn't a normal backup as Johnson clearly is. Of course I know it's absurd to compare Dryden to Rask. That's why I did it. XOXO

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Maybe enough flexibility to extend Boychuk to more then 4m per."

Not enough if you compare $ to Orpik's new contract.

"Like i said...his best chances likely passed him by twice now."

Rask will get more chances.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Cheers my friend.  I will let it die again. [you can try...but you know you love to bring it up again]

[/QUOTE]

Listen, everybody.  It's true.  I love shupe.  I can't help it any more than he can.  He even admits to altering his behaviour because he wants to talk to me. I had a girlfriend like that who would do things to annoy me just so I'd pay attention to her...in junior high school.

shupe, this is the part you never address.  You cringe at the idea of losing Boychuk on a $5M+ deal, you hate the idea of losing a first line RW who can't stay healthy because the market overpays him, but when it's a goalie you think it's nuts? 

You keep bringing up Rask's lack of leverage, but you'd make a terrible agent if that's your position. Rask may have been a RFA, but he would be a UFA today - 1 year later.  No way he looks at what other top goalies are getting paid (remember, Quick's deal is for $7M with a back dive that was no longer legal) and agrees to take less while also giving up his UFA rights for 4-5 years.  Which brings us to the other sticking point in your favorite narrative where they say "take this or go yodel": arbitration. Most likely, if Rask feels he's not getting the deal he deserves, he takes them to arbitration and gets something pretty close to what they agreed to if the arbitrator looks at the consistency of his statistics and compares him to Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick.... I mean, even you generally admit that Rask is a very good goaltender, so an arbitrator likely says "this is the market value" and Rask gets a 1 or 2 year deal at a Price-like $6.5M. That deal ends, and now he's UFA and wondering why Lundqvist gets $8.5 when Rask is the reigning Vezina winner and has done everything the King has done.  That would have been madness, and yes, someone would take an $8M run at a UFA Vezina winner.  You could easily argue Rask left money on the table signing when he did for the length of time he did.

You're right, I didn't include Seguin in my last list of other deals, so: do you think Seguin ever scores like he did in Dallas if he stays in Boston?  He regressed in the lockout season, going back to a lot of the bad habits he had as a rookie.  But he got his almost $6M/yr extension after 1 year of high-level production because Hall and Eberle got theirs - market.  Shouldn't you be ripping Chiarelli for the Seguin deal?  Where are the recurring comments saying that if Seguin had signed a two year bridge deal just like Subban's, the Bruins wouldn't have had to deal him, and they still would have been able to add Iginla?  In fact, if Seguin is on the books for $3M in his fourth season, and say they trade Peverley and a pick for Smith (humour me), their bonus overage would also have dropped to $3.5M.  They'd also have another $1.25M to play with this year (the difference between Seguin's bridge deal and Eriksson's contract), for a total of $2.5M in additional flexibility this year, which might have meant they could have made a more attractive one year offer to Elvis.  You don't bring up any of this when you complain that Rask's deal meant they had to lose Seguin.  Seguin's deal meant they had to lose Seguin.  He hadn't earned $6M.  Neither have Hall or Eberle.  These fantasy stat based deals for young forwards are all over the place (Evander Kane, anyone?) and they are a far greater abomination than the high end goalie contracts.

I think this team has a much better chance of winning a Cup with Rask, Smith, Eriksson and co. than with Svedberg, Ochocinco, Seguin and heck throw in Horton.  Or Iginla.  But not both.

[object HTMLDivElement]