How's this for GM Suicide?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How's this for GM Suicide?

Everyone loves to suggest that if a GM does this, or a GM does that, no one will ever want to play for that team again.  We heard it up and down the river here.

Sharks sign Setoguchi.  He says, ""I'm super excited to be able to stay in the organization. San Jose has been a place where I've built a lot of trust with the players...I'm glad that I'll be around."

And then they traded him to Minnesota the following day.

I am here to say that this will have zero effect on the future of RFA and UFA signings in San Jose.  We'll see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: How's this for GM Suicide?

In Response to How's this for GM Suicide?:
    Everyone loves to suggest that if a GM does this, or a GM does that, no one will ever want to play for that team again.  We heard it up and down the river here. Sharks sign Setoguchi.  He says, " "I'm super excited to be able to stay in the organization. San Jose has been a place where I've built a lot of trust with the players...I'm glad that I'll be around." And then they traded him to Minnesota the following day. I am here to say that this will have zero effect on the future of RFA and UFA signings in San Jose.  We'll see.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I thought of you when the deal went down. Interesting deal that should help both clubs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

I want to vote, no, buts it a good idea, so since it isn't an option i will vote number 3!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think the contending status of the team will have more to do with Shark signings than what Doug Wilson does. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Still with this NAS? Come on you tool, move on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think it depends on circumstance.  Signing a young player to a 3 year deal then dealing him after he had a poor year will have no effect.  The Flyers situation where players gave decade-long commitments and then were dealt just before the no trade kicked in could have an effect on Philly attracting players.  Or it could just teach them not to sign 10 year deals with any team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

nobody will want to play for Sharks ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Hey NAS,
    We don't always agree, but did you have to add the last choice? It makes you seem as a glutton for punishment. There are enough posters willing to affix the "kick me" sign to each other, but don't do it to yourself and then ask why "everyone is kicking me"?
    Aside from that I love reading your posts...thx for your insight.
    Doc
    Almost got sidetracked by the poll. LOL
    I believe Setoguchi (sp) was in on it...the deal had to be done to complete the trade. If that wasn't the case, UFA's will be wary.

Everyone loves to suggest that if a GM does this, or a GM does that, no one will ever want to play for that team again.  We heard it up and down the river here. Sharks sign Setoguchi.  He says, " "I'm super excited to be able to stay in the organization. San Jose has been a place where I've built a lot of trust with the players...I'm glad that I'll be around." And then they traded him to Minnesota the following day. I am here to say that this will have zero effect on the future of RFA and UFA signings in San Jose.  We'll see.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

If I'm a UFA, SJ is one of the last teams I look at.  I'd much rather try to hook on with an Original 6, or in a market where hockey is important to the region.  Practicing and surfing on the same day don't go hand in hand. .. unless you don't care about winning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Most UFA's look at these things:

1) Money
    2) The chance to play for a contending team
    3) The chance to shine individually

Usually, they look at them in some semblance of that order, too. There are other intangibles (hockey's importance to the market, family concerns, the management of the organization, etc) but those are usually the big 3.

That said, if SJ can continue to offer big name guys those 3 things, I don't think this move hurts them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide?:
    If I'm a UFA, SJ is one of the last teams I look at.  I'd much rather try to hook on with an Original 6, or in a market where hockey is important to the region.  Practicing and surfing on the same day don't go hand in hand. .. unless you don't care about winning.
    Posted by hangnail

So if you care about winning, you'd go to Toronto, Montreal or the Rangers over San Jose?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : So if you care about winning, you'd go to Toronto, Montreal or the Rangers over San Jose?
    Posted by Kennedy97

It would probably depend on age...if I have 5+ years of peak playing time left and can hook up with an Original 6 with a good, young nucleus, I definitely choose that option.  A bit older and it's probably the more competetive team (see Ray Bourque).

I would think that, all things being equal, most players would choose Original 6 over SJ every day of the week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey NAS, We don't always agree, but did you have to add the last choice? It makes you seem as a glutton for punishment.
    Posted by TomOBrien

It's simply for comedy, not a pity party. 

I chose #3.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Most UFA's look at these things: 1) Money 2) The chance to play for a contending team 3) The chance to shine individually Usually, they look at them in some semblance of that order, too. There are other intangibles (hockey's importance to the market, family concerns, the management of the organization, etc) but those are usually the big 3. That said, if SJ can continue to offer big name guys those 3 things, I don't think this move hurts them.
    Posted by Kennedy97

You saved me the time writing.  It is a business, number #1.  Anything more is a matter conjecture.  GM suicide is only if the GM does not win the Cup.  Period.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Interesting GM actions. Why did Winnepeg go for SCheifele at #7; why did New York go for Miller at # 15?, and Toronto go for Percy at # 25. It is clear that Chiarelli was overjoyed to land Hamilton who is not only big,fast, but also SMART. No more confidence in Boychuck's decisions? Looks like both Slyder and Kaberle are on the "maybe later" list. love to see Pitkanen in black and gold

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Sorry NAS, but I didn't vote. Your options are too polarizing. I disagree that this deal is a GM killer, but I also don't think it's a stupid idea and nor do I hate you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS,
    why would setoguchi be ticked at going from a place where he can hit the beach and go to the rink in shorts to and armpit of a place in Minny where they wear long johns all summer. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Sorry for not getting it...Sometimes I take things too literally.
    v/r,
    Doc

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : It's simply for comedy, not a pity party.  I chose #3.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to How's this for GM Suicide? : NAS, why would setoguchi be ticked at going from a place where he can hit the beach and go to the rink in shorts to and armpit of a place in Minny where they wear long johns all summer. 
    Posted by shuperman

I don't know, but I know if I were a UFA and the team was poised for a contender and offering me a better, more secure deal than the rest of the teams, I'd turn them down because of how this was handled. 

It's GM Suicide!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe not suicide, but Karma's a beyotch.  Last time this situation happened was Hossa in Ottawa, and Ottawa's paying for it with the Heatley situation followed by their lameness.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

IYOUR BEST POST EVER!! WELL DONE AND FUNNY
     Response to How's this for GM Suicide?:
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Whether or not Wilson killed San Jose depends what was said by management to Setoguchi when the deal was being negotiated.

1) If Wilson led Seto to believe, he'd retire a Shark (or similar), then yes...GM suicide.
    2) If Wilson was quiet about the possibility of a trade(seemed remote), then maybe GM Suicide...definitely some damage.
    3) If Wilson let Seto know a sign and trade was a possibility, likely, or probable, or if there is some wording in the contract itself, then no GM suicide.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Whether or not Wilson killed San Jose depends what was said by management to Setoguchi when the deal was being negotiated. 1) If Wilson led Seto to believe, he'd retire a Shark (or similar), then yes...GM suicide. 2) If Wilson was quiet about the possibility of a trade(seemed remote), then maybe GM Suicide...definitely some damage. 3) If Wilson let Seto know a sign and trade was a possibility, likely, or probable, or if there is some wording in the contract itself, then no GM suicide.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

To me its a business.  Burns is a very solid dman and they in my opinion are a better team.  And good teams that have money and will spend have no worries.  Throw in a SJ lifestyle and they have nothing to worry about.   Wilson needs to win more than he needs to worry about losing one player.  His job is on the line every year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : To me its a business.  Burns is a very solid dman and they in my opinion are a better team.  And good teams that have money and will spend have no worries.  Throw in a SJ lifestyle and they have nothing to worry about.   Wilson needs to win more than he needs to worry about losing one player.  His job is on the line every year. 
    Posted by shuperman

Any player has to know that he can be dealt at any time (provided there is no NMC). 

Oh, speaking of GM Suicide, the Flames asked Robyn Regehr to waive his NMC and then traded him to Buffalo.  Looks like no UFA will ever sign there again!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts