How's this for GM Suicide?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: How's this for GM Suicide?

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Any player has to know that he can be dealt at any time (provided there is no NMC).  Oh, speaking of GM Suicide, the Flames asked Robyn Regehr to waive his NMC and then traded him to Buffalo.  Looks like no UFA will ever sign there again!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS, high profile UFA's seldom do sign in Calgary unless they are grossly overpaid...hehe. By the way I am not sure why Buffalo would add 7mill in salary in the form of a declining defenceman and an overpaid AHLer....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

One event doens't do much, but it contributes to a trend, and the trend contributes to a culture.  Bad culture makes it harder to sign RFA's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]One event doens't do much, but it contributes to a trend, and the trend contributes to a culture.  Bad culture makes it harder to sign RFA's. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

As in the case of...?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : As in the case of...?

Boston Bruins circa 1985-2005

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Boston Bruins circa 1985-2005
    Bill Guerin told me personally(worked a hockey school together) that no one wanted to deal with Harry if they could help it. His reputation for handling players and contracts was widely known and not well received.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Boston Bruins circa 1985-2005

Which RFAs left Boston and flourished elsewhere with contracts that equalled their production?  (please, please, please start with Billy Guerin)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Which RFAs left Boston and flourished elsewhere with contracts that equalled their production?  (please, please, please start with Billy Guerin)

Guerin was not an RFA.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

IMHO:  A GM who doesn't make a deal to improve his club, isn't going to be a GM for much longer.  The SJ-Canucks series clearly exposed the Sharks' weakness on the blueline, and the Burns deal was specifically made to address that.  Sign-and-trade, though not as prevalent in the NHL, is a commonly used tactic, the rationale being that a signed player saves the receiving team the hassle of trying to negotiate with someone who might or might not be happy with the trade.

As for Calgary, they're hamstrung by the blunders made by GM Sutter -- too many overpaid veterans on the downslope of their careers, with no-movement clauses.  This will make their rebuilding efforts more problematic.  Feaster's a whole lot more savvy than GM Sutter was, and will likely be trying to cleanse the team of these contracts as the opportunities arise.

As for where players will sign as UFAs, my theory is that, a player who is approaching the end of his career really wants that last shot at glory, and will take less ($$ and role) to get it (a la Recchi).  They will even endure locating in places that are -- shall we say, less than appealing? -- in order to get it.  Why do you think so many players are willing to go to Detroit (not really on the list of "most liveable cities")?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Guerin was not an RFA.....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I got caught up.  My mistake!

Which RFAs have the B's not been able to keep that went elsewhere and flourished under decent contracts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Which RFAs left Boston and flourished elsewhere with contracts that equalled their production?  (please, please, please start with Billy Guerin)
    The obvious point I'm making is that I heard first hand from a player that himself and others preferred to avoid Boston if at all possible. Selanne is an example of a guy who accepted less money rather than come to Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How about Anson Carter?  Held out, got traded, then was passed around the league like a prag at shower time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : The obvious point I'm making is that I heard first hand from a player that himself and others preferred to avoid Boston if at all possible. Selanne is an example of a guy who accepted less money rather than come to Boston.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Selanne turned down many offers to play for the Ducks.  That's no reflection on Boston, but his love of Anaheim.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : The obvious point I'm making is that I heard first hand from a player that himself and others preferred to avoid Boston if at all possible. Selanne is an example of a guy who accepted less money rather than come to Boston.

I was typing about Bill Guerin when you were, Dez.  That's just weird, not me hacking at you.

(jeeeeeez, who's having the gloomy day now!?!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : I was typing about Bill Guerin when you were, Dez.  That's just weird, not me hacking at you. (jeeeeeez, who's having the gloomy day now!?!)
    It's me. I'm upset because I can't type fast enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Selanne turned down many offers to play for the Ducks.  That's no reflection on Boston, but his love of Anaheim.
    I thought he'd played in Denver also in between offers. I was under the impression that Boston had made multiple attempts to lure Selanne to the organization.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide?:[QUOTE]There are other intangibles (hockey's importance to the market, family concerns, the management of the organization, etc) but those are usually the big 3. That said, if SJ can continue to offer big name guys those 3 things, I don't think this move hurts them. Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Knowing the San Jose area I think that the intangible is of great value to Doug Wilson and using his veterans to place phone call in recruitment. I answered #1 but I really think hurts the room of current players feelings to their GM now not so much incoming UFAs. Suicide NO but bad karma as Book mentions YES.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : I thought he'd played in Denver also in between offers. I was under the impression that Boston had made multiple attempts to lure Selanne to the organization.

He went from Anaheim to SJ via trade.  He signed with Colorado for one year.  He went back to Anaheim.  Each summer, they've asked if he's coming back for another year.  He always says that he's unsure, but if he does return, it'll be to Anaheim only.

That's no reflection on Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Knowing the San Jose area I think that the intangible is of great value to Doug Wilson and using his veterans to place phone call in recruitment. I answered #1 but I really think hurts the room of current players feelings to their GM now not so much incoming UFAs. Suicide NO but bad karma as Book mentions YES.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Def agree with San. Affects the current players more than anything. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : He went from Anaheim to SJ via trade.  He signed with Colorado for one year.  He went back to Anaheim.  Each summer, they've asked if he's coming back for another year.  He always says that he's unsure, but if he does return, it'll be to Anaheim only. That's no reflection on Boston.
    He spurned multiple Boston offers. Seems very reflective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : He spurned multiple Boston offers. Seems very reflective.

He spurned all offers that didn't come from Anaheim.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : He spurned all offers that didn't come from Anaheim.
    You just said yourself that he chose the Avalanche for 1 year also.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Like whom?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

How does Jeff Carter's reported seething anger right now relate to this poll?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Suicide is a strong word.  I will say this though - I'd think other Sharks looking for extensions will be more likely to push for no trade clauses, especially veterans.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on SJ signings to see if they hand out more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: How's this for GM Suicide? : Like whom?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Like whom?  What does that mean?  It's not a "whom" question.  The B's had a reputation as being cheap and had a hard time signing and retaining free agents.  Pretty common knowledge.