Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head

In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Not a clue. I can't recall a single play where Backstrom's head has been directly impacted.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Siedenberg roughing. But I dont remember it this is just what Caps/Knucks/Habs fans have shoved down my throat.

One of them actually tried to tell me that Lucic was running and hiding from Alzner like he was from Laraque.

Sometimes I wonder what lense people see th world through, because its really not the same as the one rational people use.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Hunter is simply playing the Canucks card of lobbying. Trying to get a message to Shanahan without actually speaking to him directly. That's all it is.

I doubt he'll get a 3-4 game suspension (although that's what would be logical given the Asham incident). My guess is he won't revoke the match penalty and it'll remain a 1 game suspension. Shanahan will not add to it because of who he is and because (this is the ridiculous part) Peverley was not injured.

That's sorta like saying if you drive drunk and get pulled over, you're free to go. But if you get into an accident and kill someone, you're going away for a long time. Isn't the rule in place for just that.... PREVENTION! Regardless of injury outcome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : WTH??? He skated from 12 feet away, as Peverley turned around, he lifted his stick up and hit him in the head!! It was intent to injure the entire time. The game was over, there wasn't even a reason for him to be skating towards Pevs in the first place. Hunter has lost his mind.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I know Red. That's why I had to post the direct quote.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

adams got 1 game for pulling barbara streisand's hair.  maybe backstrom will get a game.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : WTH??? He skated from 12 feet away, as Peverley turned around, he lifted his stick up and hit him in the head!! It was intent to injure the entire time. The game was over, there wasn't even a reason for him to be skating towards Pevs in the first place. Hunter has lost his mind.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Okay, I just looked at it really closely, and Hunter might not be completely off of his rocker.  Peverley did lift his stick so that the blade was at about head level (I can't tell where in relation to Backstrom's helmet though) just before Backstrom starts the crosscheck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Okay, I just looked at it really closely, and Hunter might not be completely off of his rocker.  Peverley did lift his stick so that the blade was at about head level (I can't tell where in relation to Backstrom's helmet though) just before Backstrom starts the crosscheck.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    DC, there's nothing in the video (at any speed or angle) to justify Backstrom cross checking Peverley in the face.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : DC, there's nothing in the video (at any speed or angle) to justify Backstrom cross checking Peverley in the face.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Oh of course it doesn't justify the action, but at least Hunter wasn't grasping at something that clearly wasn't there at all.

Flip this around, too.  If a not-currently-concussed Horton were skating in after the end of the game at a guy he just saw trip Krejčí, and while going in the guy lifted his stick up near Horton's head, how do you think Horton would react?  Probably not a cross check, but dropped gloves, and if he pounded the guy we'd say the guy deserved it.

So the 'wrong' here may be Backstrom used his stick instead of his fists, rather than Peverly didn't do anything to warrant a strong response.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I remember where Lucic ripped Backstrom's helmet off in a scrum, but as you would expect, it wasn't out of the blue.  Backstrom was taking shots at another Bruins who was being held.  So, in both that case and the Peverly case Backstrom came in by his own will to take a shot at someone after the whistle.

If Backstrom's sensitive head is as much of a concern as Hunter implies, he might suggest that his player skate away from scrums and not into them.  If he wants to throw a punch/crosscheck after the whistle, he'd better be prepared to receive one.  A very simple concept that even a Neanderthal like Hunter should understand.

They should have Hunter look into the JFK assination to explore the theory that Lee Harvey Oswald was trying to prevent JFK from shooting him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Oh of course it doesn't justify the action, but at least Hunter wasn't grasping at something that clearly wasn't there at all. Flip this around, too.  If a not-currently-concussed Horton were skating in after the end of the game at a guy he just saw trip Krejčí, and while going in the guy lifted his stick up near Horton's head, how do you think Horton would react?  Probably not a cross check, but dropped gloves, and if he pounded the guy we'd say the guy deserved it. So the 'wrong' here may be Backstrom used his stick instead of his fists, rather than Peverly didn't do anything to warrant a strong response.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]Exactly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Oh of course it doesn't justify the action, but at least Hunter wasn't grasping at something that clearly wasn't there at all. Flip this around, too.  If a not-currently-concussed Horton were skating in after the end of the game at a guy he just saw trip Krejčí, and while going in the guy lifted his stick up near Horton's head, how do you think Horton would react?  Probably not a cross check, but dropped gloves, and if he pounded the guy we'd say the guy deserved it. So the 'wrong' here may be Backstrom used his stick instead of his fists, rather than Peverly didn't do anything to warrant a strong response.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Watch it again.  Backstrom skate towards Pevs with his stick in a perfect position for a cross check, Pevs raises his stick, Backstrom cross-checks.

The cross-check wasnt in self defense, Pevs raising his stick was.  The game was over, and Backstrom was stalking Pevs...Its obvious that Pevs raised his stick after  Backstrom skated over to him with his stick in a "cross check postion".  It appears that Pevs had no idea what Backstrom was up to, but he knew Backstrom's intentions were no good, so he raised his stick in self defense.

At no time did Pevs move towards Backstrom with his stick up.  He jsut raised his stick in self defense.  That stick was up solely to block.  Its pretty obvious.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/4/17/2955148/nicklas-backstrom-suspension-capitals-bruins-nhl-playoffs-2012

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Watch it again.  Backstrom skate towards Pevs with his stick in a perfect position for a cross check, Pevs raises his stick, Backstrom cross-checks. The cross-check wasnt in self defense, Pevs raising his stick was.  The game was over, and Backstrom was stalking Pevs...Its obvious that Pevs raised his stick after   Backstrom skated over to him with his stick in a "cross check postion".  It appears that Pevs had no idea what Backstrom was up to, but he knew Backstrom's intentions were no good, so he raised his stick in self defense. At no time did Pevs move towards Backstrom with his stick up.  He jsut raised his stick in self defense.  That stick was up solely to block.  Its pretty obvious. http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/4/17/2955148/nicklas-backstrom-suspension-capitals-bruins-nhl-playoffs-2012
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    There's no way of knowing Backstroms' intentions.  Perhaps he would only have yelled at Peverley.  Whatever reason Peverley had for raising his stick though, it's no cause for a crosscheck to the face.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : There's no way of knowing Backstroms' intentions.  Perhaps he would only have yelled at Peverley.  Whatever reason Peverley had for raising his stick though, it's no cause for a crosscheck to the face.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

There is no way of knowing Backstrom's intentions; however, Pev raising his stick was clearly in self defense.    A) The incident was triggered prior to Pevs raising his stick, B) Pevs did not move towards Backstrom or move his stick towards Backstrom (he raised his stick in response to Backstrom stalking him with Nick's stick in "cross check" position).  Therefore, Hunter's argument that Pev raising his stick triggered the incident is not defendable.  Pevs stick was up to block. 

What Hunter is saying makes 0 sense. There was 0 agression shown by Pevs (other than blatantly tripping ovie, which was the real reason for the cross-check.  It had nothing to do w/ Pevs raising his stick).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : There's no way of knowing Backstroms' intentions.  Perhaps he would only have yelled at Peverley.  Whatever reason Peverley had for raising his stick though, it's no cause for a crosscheck to the face.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

If he skates over and crosschecks him in the face I'd day his intention was to skate over and crosscheck him in the face.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just listened to the actual interview. The quote above posted by Dez is actually wrong. Not Dez's fault, someone edited it. The actual audio, played on CBS's Gresh & Zo, goes:

If you slow it down frame by frame, where was Krejci's stick? It was up in his face first... and Nickie, because of the stick in his face, the guy went and put the stick up like that, and Nickie reacted to it.

He's so delusional, even though he says he watched it FRAME BY FRAME! he doesn't even know what player it was!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : If he skates over and crosschecks him in the face I'd day his intention was to skate over and crosscheck him in the face.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

HAHA, nice post.  Kel, I've now watched the replay at least 20x (as I'm sure you have too).  It definately looks like Backstrom skated over and crosschecked him in the face.  Pevs raising his stick seemed to be an instinctive blocking motion that occured after Backstrom had skated over and was clearly up to something.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Agee Drewski, Pervs raised his stick to either cross check Backstrom or protect himself...Backstroms crosscheck deflected off of Pervs crosscheck into Pervs jaw area...incidental contact which happens every two minutes. Case Closed... except the ref who made such a stupid intent to injure call should not be allowed to work another B's game
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

So you're saying Backstrom's intent was to crosscheck Peverly's stick, the stick to head contact was incidental, and there was no intent to injure.

That's actually a possibility, but the incident was, if nothing else,  pretty reckless on Backstrom's part.  I'm not 100% sold on the intent to injure on the basis that it's pretty hard to NOT injure someone if a) you have a hockey stick and b) you are trying to injure them.

But Hunter's arguement that Backstrom was trying to protect himself is rediculous.  Pevs was not the agressor (aside from the Ovie trip) and his stick was clearly raised in defense.

It was a cross check and it wasn't in self defense, but you may have a point regarding the "intent to injure" being an exaggeration. To be honest, there was probably no premeditated intent.  It was probably an undisciplined reaction to the frustration from having just lost a close, key, game at home.

You make a better argument against a suspension than Hunter did, I'll give you that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : If he skates over and crosschecks him in the face I'd day his intention was to skate over and crosscheck him in the face.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Ha!  Point taken.  Sometimes when looking at it slowly, it's easy to forget how fast the things are occurring.  While Peverley's stick was up first, the time difference was probably less than a human's decision-making time.

@Red - that really puts a new perspective on this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

If Hunter doesn't want Backstrom to lose helmet in scrums, tell him to stop getting involved in scrums. If he is in the scrum, he is going to get it. Hunter is a hypocrite when he complains about head shots. Ovechkin had a stick in Seidenberg's face in game 2 & Backstrom cross-checked Peverly in the face in game 3. It is okay if his guys do, but take Backstrom's helmet off & the Bruins are targeting his head. Stop crying Dale

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Ha!  Point taken.  Sometimes when looking at it slowly, it's easy to forget how fast the things are occurring.  While Peverley's stick was up first, the time difference was probably less than a human's decision-making time. @Red - that really puts a new perspective on this.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Pevs stick was raised in a involuntary reaction to Backstrom skating over with his stick in "cross check position."

I can see the argument that it wasnt an "intent to injure."  But to say that it was a response to Pevs raising his stick is incomprehensible.  Thats the equivalent of you taking out a knife, me taking out a knife, you stabbing me, and then calling it self defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I remember where Lucic ripped Backstrom's helmet off in a scrum, but as you would expect, it wasn't out of the blue.  Backstrom was taking shots at another Bruins who was being held.  So, in both that case and the Peverly case Backstrom came in by his own will to take a shot at someone after the whistle. If Backstrom's sensitive head is as much of a concern as Hunter implies, he might suggest that his player skate away from scrums and not into them.  If he wants to throw a punch/crosscheck after the whistle, he'd better be prepared to receive one.  A very simple concept that even a Neanderthal like Hunter should understand. They should have Hunter look into the JFK assination to explore the theory that Lee Harvey Oswald was trying to prevent JFK from shooting him.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Even in Boston Lucic and also Krejci nudged his head.  Bergeron grabbed his visor and shook him. 
    Basically Hunter is saying that a guy coming off from a concussion should not be touched above the shoulders.
    He could say what he wants about Peverley's stick being high was the result of Backstrom cross checking to the face still no excuse and a bogus statement .
    As per Julien there's been 3 of those cross checks to the face on a Bruin player and those are worse than head nudging and visor grabbing.
    In the end to have Krejci and Bergeron go after Backstrom there must be a reason. He's no saint.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

So funny coming from Dale "Highstick" Hunter...que the tape, no doubt that he is one of the all time cheap shot artist's, just ask Pierre Turgeon. Bruins will shut him up soon enough! GO BRUINS!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hunter Acuses Bruins of Going After Backstrom's Head : Exactly.  Pevs stick was raised in a involuntary reaction to Backstrom skating over with his stick in "cross check position." I can see the argument that it wasnt an "intent to injure."  But to say that it was a response to Pevs raising his stick is incomprehensible.  Thats the equivalent of you taking out a knife, me taking out a knife, you stabbing me, and then calling it self defense.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Get rational for a nanosecond and consider the source of the original comment and realize the ONLY reason for it was to annoy people because it's so blatantly idiotic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Can't remember Hunter ever showing anything but a sneer about the wave of dirty hits he dished out during his playing career. So what he's saying now shouldn't be a surprise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I hate Dale Hunter. He is an absolute, worthless, shiteating pr!ck. I hope a Bruin goes over the Washington bench tomorrow night and beats Hunter within an inch of his sorry life.