Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into.

Last night in the Pens-Flyers game there was that contraversial icing that led to the Pens 3rd goal.
    That got me thinking. In this case the linesman inside the Philly blueline, waves it off last minute , in hybrid icing with this imaginary line at the faceoff dots inside the zone will make for so much more mistakes that can decides games wrongfully.
    Not only does hybrid still risk injury if the linesmen decides the forward reached the imaginary line first it puts this player at risk reaching the end boards as some d-men will just clobber the guy into the boards . Also the distance between this imaginary line and the goal line is short and at the speed they're going they might hear the whistle before contact and even the d-man can get hurt with a players racing in. 
    Thoughts ?
    Why don't they just go the International way ! Otherwise just leave it as it is and call it properly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into.

BS what is the international icing rule?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

From what I understand of hybrid icing, it actually gives the linesman more power in the decisionmaking. Not a good idea in my opinion and the Dupuis goal last night exposed just how easy it is for linesmen to bungle potential icings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into.:
    [QUOTE]BS what is the international icing rule?
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

I don't have the exact ruling but when iced and player on opposing teams crosses the blueline they whistle icing right away.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]From what I understand of hybrid icing, it actually gives the linesman more power in the decisionmaking. Not a good idea in my opinion and the Dupuis goal last night exposed just how easy it is for linesmen to bungle potential icings.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I'm saying what is the NHL getting themsleves into.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

In Response to Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into.:
    [QUOTE]Last night in the Pens-Flyers game there was that contraversial icing that led to the Pens 3rd goal. That got me thinking. In this case the linesman inside the Philly blueline, waves it off last minute , in hybrid icing with this imaginary line at the faceoff dots inside the zone will make for so much more mistakes that can decides games wrongfully. Not only does hybrid still risk injury if the linesmen decides the forward reached the imaginary line first it puts this player at risk reaching the end boards as some d-men will just clobber the guy into the boards . Also the distance between this imaginary line and the goal line is short and at the speed they're going they might hear the whistle before contact and even the d-man can get hurt with a players racing in.  Thoughts ? Why don't they just go the International way ! Otherwise just leave it as it is and call it properly.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    The problem with injuries on icing is not when the players gets hit on a non-icing play, it's when the player gets hit, but doesn't expect to get hit. Defencemen get forechecked all the time without injuries because they expect to get hit and therefore brace for the impact. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : The problem with injuries on icing is not when the players gets hit on a non-icing play, it's when the player gets hit, but doesn't expect to get hit. Defencemen get forechecked all the time without injuries because they expect to get hit and therefore brace for the impact. 
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE

There is no body contact allowed on a race for an icing. That's why a hit is unexpected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : [QUOTE]In Response to Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : The problem with injuries on icing is not when the players gets hit on a non-icing play, it's when the player gets hit, but doesn't expect to get hit. Defencemen get forechecked all the time without injuries because they expect to get hit and therefore brace for the impact.  Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE There is no body contact allowed on a race for an icing. That's why a hit is unexpected.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    That's kind of my point. Should there be contact allowed on icing? I know it's kind of against the grain to want MORE contact but I think the players would be safer if they always expect to get hit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : That's kind of my point. Should there be contact allowed on icing? I know it's kind of against the grain to want MORE contact but I think the players would be safer if they always expect to get hit. 
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE]
    Oh, I get where you're coming from now and agree that the grey area between the icing and non-icing plays does make it tricky for players to definitely know what to expect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I would allow for contact on icing. That actually makes a lot of sense if the defenseman is expecting contact he will protect himself accordingly. Maybe minimize contact if the whistle is blown so as to avoid injury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : Oh, I get where you're coming from now and agree that the grey area between the icing and non-icing plays does make it tricky for players to definitely know what to expect.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

In your opinion you don't think with hybrid will make it harder ? More of grey area ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hybrid icing? What is the NHL getting themselves into. : In your opinion you don't think with hybrid will make it harder ? More of grey area ?
    I should just stay out of it as I'm one of the few who likes touch icing the way that it was. The injuries you see sometimes are horrific but it's a dangerous game and injuries like we saw with Foster are incredibly rare. Instead of changing the rules they should just be extra harsh in their enforcement of the current ones. If a player is stupid enough to shove a guy at the goal line when they're both going full speed then I'd have no problem with suspensions of 10 games and higher until players get the picture. You can go back and check to see that I was one of the posters that felt Ference got off too easy when he slammed McDonough earlier this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Okay I can respect your take on keeping it as is just because I think the hybrid icing will be even worse on calling it and I still think can cause injury with players crushing another on the end boards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Okay I can respect your take on keeping it as is just because I think the hybrid icing will be even worse on calling it and I still think can cause injury with players crushing another on the end boards.
    I think you're probably right.