I Can't Wait For...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: I Can't Wait For...

In response to JWensink's comment:

Red

Disagree ...you say you'd like facts to back it up, and then point to conditioning as the main culprit. Something that you apparently know factually from your HDTV. My facts or evidence is from watching them struggle late in games. It's just an issue that I feel is worth discussion, even though I never brought it up. It was used as an example of fans making statements that they shouldn't on this board by NAS. I just presented a reasonable explanation for why such an issue is valid, and nobody on this board should be able to determine what is and isn't acceptable comments.

Sorry, but my opinion is that it flows from the top down, and CJ tends to focus on stopping people more than staying aggressive offensively thereby taking chances that might lead to opportunities for the opponent. Also, everybody had a shortened season including the Hawks in the 3rd of game 6 -

I'm sure there's some stat somewhere showing leads going into the 3rd, don't have the pateience to find it. But it's my observation and opinion that it was an issue.

There you go, an exchange of differing opinions- it's all good.

Sorry if you disagree with any thing I've just stated, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't, but it does mean it's ok if you do - something that seems to be overwhelming to some

Fair enough, it's my opinion, through observation, that it's conditioning (which differs from player to player, so maybe the Hawks were just in better shape) not a hard core fact I can point to. And with blown third leads, how would a high number on that stat discount my point anymore than yours? We simply are offering different reasons.

And I disagree with you as to the CJ thing, because in most cases I have simply not seen a distinct change in playing style - slower play, yes. Blown plays, yes. Mental mistakes, yes. But those can all be easily attributed to wind and legs.

But a change in playing style? My eyes just don't tell me that. I guess yours see something different. Faair enough. Agree to disagree.

And not to poke the Hornets nest, but going back over your posts I disagree with the highlighted part above. I could say that your reason is possible (even maybe reasonable) though I disagree with it, but it hasn't been presented in a reasonable matter. You do tend to attack posters who disagree with you on this point, even if they haven't been agressive to you first (some of your responses to Fletch in this thread show this behaviour).

That's going to cause a few issues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Here you go Red...this was taken from an article written by Joe Macdonald of espnboston.com

"The Bruins have a 9-4-1 record with 19 points when leading after two periods this season. Their points percentage (points/potential points) of .679 in that situation is the worst in the NHL. "

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Here you go Red...this was taken from an article written by Joe Macdonald of espnboston.com

"The Bruins have a 9-4-1 record with 19 points when leading after two periods this season. Their points percentage (points/potential points) of .679 in that situation is the worst in the NHL. "

Like I said, that doesn't make your point anymore valid than mine. I'm not disagreeing with the third lead problems - I'm disagreeing with the reason for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And yet they finished better than 28 teams last year.

Dur!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

JWensink is as good as his name. Love it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

And yet they finished better than 28 teams last year.

Dur!

[/QUOTE]

Hey that's great logic...let's just not post anything until the last game of the season

Durdy freakin dur

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Didn't they have the best record in the league when leading in the 3rd period year before last or the cup season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Didn't they have the best record in the league when leading in the 3rd period year before last or the cup season?

They were 32-0-0 when entering the third period with a lead the year they lost to the Caps in the first round. That's part of why I think it may have a conditioning issue last season instead of a coaching or strategy one. There wasn't any real coaching change between the two years, but it was an aberration of a season in regards to training, conditioning and practice time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't care about anything if they don't fix the powerplay.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey that's great logic...let's just not post anything until the last game of the season

Durdy freakin dur

Sure, hindsight is 20/20.  That wasn't the point.  The point was that people were bent about this all season long and it ended up being irrelevant.  Just like the putrid powerplay.

So, the next time you see the COLLAPSE!!! in the third period, accept it as part of the game of hockey instead of ducking for cover because the sky is falling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think these things are also destined to move in cycles, with hot streaks and slumps just like anything else.  Some lines just didn't seem great at locking down a lead either.  When Lucic and Horton were out there, it did seem like the other team had more opportunities.  Of course, that seemed to be a big factor in the Game 6 collapse (I thought Horton in particular really blew his coverage).  

To me, that was not a case of Julien locking things down though, partly because they (Lucic/Horton) were out there instead of a safer defensive line, with so little time left.  But before we blame Julien for that, let's remember that A) Lucic scored about 6 minutes before that to give the Bruins the lead, and B) Bergeron (their best defensive forward) was obviously playing while badly injured.  So I think Julien didn't have a lot of better options.  I think he played to win, but Chicago just came up bigger when it counted.

If the Bruins return to their form of two seasons ago in the upcoming season, and are much more effective holding on to 3rd period leads, I think there could any number of explanations for the difference, such as conditioning.  But I think that we could rule out Julien having a great 3rd period strategy in 2011-12, a terrible one in 2012-13, and then a good one again in 2013-14.  I would guess that he has been pretty consistent on how to coach with a 3rd period lead during his tenure.  I would guess that other factors led to the run of frustrating blown leads last year.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

So someone wants to cite the fact that Boston was outshot 16-7 in the 3rd period of the last game of the year as evidence to support a cockamamie theory that the Bruins sit on leads. That might even fly if not for the fact that it was a tie game with less than 8 minutes to play. The Hawks were just bringing it because the Cup was in sight. Are we really expected to believe that as soon as Lucic scored to take the lead that CJ said, "alright, let's shut her down boys"? Wouldn't it be more logical to conclude that they were actually trying to score more goals considering he kept putting out the Krejci line and they just happened to fail? They were the top scoring line in the playoffs. Is that who you send out if you're sitting on a lead? There were numerous posters after the game who complained about CJ not playing a more defensive group of players.  They lost game 6 of the Finals 3-2 and the outcome had absolutely nothing to do with trying to sit on a lead. It was mostly due to the Hawks being just a little better.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

They were 32-0-0 when entering the third period with a lead the year they lost to the Caps in the first round. That's part of why I think it may have a conditioning issue last season instead of a coaching or strategy one. There wasn't any real coaching change between the two years, but it was an aberration of a season in regards to training, conditioning and practice time.

OK, - highly controversial I know, but only for the sake of discussion - let's assume 32-0-0 is a good thing.  And let's go on to further suppose that you can't improve on 32-0-0 for those of us obsessed with numbers and stats.

Same coach, same strategy, same players pretty much, same rinks, same color jersies and etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there must have been some other factor that contributed to 3rd period meltdowns this past season.

Sections
Shortcuts